Following Dirt Rally 2 Page 86

• Mr_Sleep 10 Jan 2020 21:36:08 23,070 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I was ahead and on point and I caught the ditch while flat out in sixth then I just caught a rock and spun out, put the foot down and got going again only to have a disqualification. I ended up going the wrong direction for too long. Bah!

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 21:36:49 10-01-2020
  • whatthefu 10 Jan 2020 21:46:57 1,310 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    damagedinc wrote:
    Struggling to know whether I should pick this or the wrc 8 game? Anyone played both? Normally stick to f1 but used to love a rally game when i was younger so fancy dipping my toes back in.

Sadly only on a controller if that makes a difference
    I have played both and I prefer WRC 8.
    Dirt Rally 2 was exceptionally difficult, even on easy, while I was decent at Dirt Rally 1. It is easier with a pad though.

In WRC 8 I can win rallies and 5 hours in I have been promoted a division. Plus the career mode has more variety and you can spend XP on "R&D" which gives you certain perks.

I might try DR2 again in the future with all the driving aids turned on lol.

Edited by whatthefu at 00:43:36 11-01-2020
  • DrStrangelove 10 Jan 2020 23:18:45 14,974 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    whatthefu wrote:
    Dirt Rally 2 was exceptionally difficult, even on easy, while I was decent at Dirt 1. It is easier with a pad though.
    The name has always been a little misleading, as the main Dirt series has been a much more arcadey experience with a strong bias towards casual playing. Dirt Rally is closer to Richard Burns Rally than to the main Dirt games. Back in 2015, Dirt Rally caught me by surprise because it was so much more hardcore than the name suggested.

Winning rallies isn't going to happen in DR when you're new to the game. It's all about practice and getting better and the great joy of accomplishment. I guess that's why it's been called the Dark Souls of racing games. It's not about winning, it's about the thrill of improvement and learning to master it.

In the "main" Dirt games (actually I think DR has become the main series now), winning felt kinda trivial. In DR, it truly feels like your efforts are paying off, and this gives you a sense of real achievement that the "main" Dirt games don't.

In WRC 8 I can win rallies and 5 hours in I have been promoted a division. Plus the career mode has more variety and you can spend XP on "R&D" which gives you certain perks.
    I can't say anything about WRC 8 as I haven't played that, but what's certainly true is that DR's "career mode" feels minimalist to put it mildly. It just throws a random set of events at you and if you win, difficulty is increased on the next one. That's it, basically. I don't play that at all really.

I might try DR2 again in the future with all the driving aids turned on lol.
    I believe that's the wrong way to approach DR. Sure, you can turn on driving aids to make it easier, but all DR is about really is to be challenged and learning to master the challenge.
  • whatthefu 11 Jan 2020 00:46:52 1,310 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    whatthefu wrote:
    Dirt Rally 2 was exceptionally difficult, even on easy, while I was decent at Dirt 1. It is easier with a pad though.
    The name has always been a little misleading, as the main Dirt series has been a much more arcadey experience with a strong bias towards casual playing. Dirt Rally is closer to Richard Burns Rally than to the main Dirt games
    Sorry for that, I meant Dirt Rally 1, not Dirt 1.
    I was decent at Dirt Rally 1 although mostly that was before I got a steering wheel. On Dirt Rally 2 I was hopeless on both, but moreso on the wheel.

I get that feeling of satisfaction from WRC 8 (with the steering wheel), I don't win every stage and the challenge is there because if you make a mistake and get a penalty you're pretty sure to not win.
  • DrStrangelove 11 Jan 2020 20:14:54 14,974 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ok that's a totally different story then of course. Kinda surprising to me though, I find DR1 harder, especially when it comes to traction under throttle. In DR2 I can floor it much more often and earlier, even in RWD, where that makes me just spin out in DR1.
  • TheGreenYamo 12 Jan 2020 13:46:00 416 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    We'll, I had the worst possible run in Wales you can have without retiring, I clouding 2 punctures and 2 spectator fatalities.

Championship is still wide open.
  • Mr_Sleep 12 Jan 2020 19:26:55 23,070 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Blergh, Internet went stupid so I ended up with a DNF in this round.

I always have a hard luck story 😉
  • KD 13 Jan 2020 16:27:51 2,507 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Went off on last stage about 2 thirds in and got a 1min penalty followed by a roll and 8sec penalty, doubt I would have stole first place but was a good run up til that point.
  • Deleted user 13 January 2020 17:08:12
    Hope there's still time to do the last stage when I get back from kickboxing tonight.
  • salrip 14 Jan 2020 07:05:37 109 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Had a good clean run in wales. A couple of close calls but nothing major.
  • Deleted user 14 January 2020 10:12:21
    I missed the window, sounds like I missed a sitter :(
  • Nitrous 14 Jan 2020 21:53:10 1,931 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Sounds like I've missed out also. I was working at weekend and I've been busy today so not had time to get on the PS4.

When do the events usually start/end?
  • TheGreenYamo 15 Jan 2020 18:41:51 416 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I usually set up the events in each championship to run for 2 days from the time I set them up (usually after I've had my dinner!)

the new one is up, 3 events group B RWD. I've set it up so the events run a bit further into the evening this time.
  • KD 15 Jan 2020 20:50:06 2,507 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I expect Monaco to be a short one in those cars.

• TheGreenYamo 22 Jan 2020 16:08:54 416 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'll set up another one this evening. DrStraneglove won Monte Carlo by less than a second, that put him joint first in the Championship.

I'll choose more sedate cars this time around. Any course / car preferences?
  • TheGreenYamo 22 Jan 2020 20:37:12 416 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The website won't let me set up a new chap for some reason, I'll try again tomorrow.
  • Deleted user 23 January 2020 23:05:48
    Sorry I didn't get involved much in the last championship, had so much on.

Didja set one up this evening? How about going mega easy with R2 class and maybe Australia, Spain and Wales.
  • KD 24 Jan 2020 01:30:07 2,507 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It's up already.
  • Deleted user 26 January 2020 11:21:56
    Nice.

Germany first course, I had a cracking first sector, only just over a second off pace, but then I pranged it a couple of times, finishing 26 seconds behind Stirkovich.

I'll finish the Germany event this evening, off out now to track down a Sunday roast.
  • Nitrous 26 Jan 2020 16:31:53 1,931 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    On the first stage I managed to be fastest in sector 1 and then finished something like 10 seconds adrift. If that had of continued I'd have been pleased but no. I think it was on the 3rd stage with a big jump followed by a 5 right I flipped it for a penalty.
  • Deleted user 27 January 2020 23:19:10
    Wouldn't let me finish Germany, said it had expired while I was racing.

Oh well, had a good crack at New England. Think I might have done ok on the last two tracks.
  • Slint1000 28 Jan 2020 20:57:33 3,561 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just had a go at the USA championship, after a long break away from the game. Pretty fun, but Iím waaay out of practice.

I have just switched to 540 instead of 360 like I used to use on my wheel, partially inspired because Iíve been driving a real car lately. Hadnít driven in a real car in eight years (!) but it reminded me how unrealistic 360 felt when I tried it again in the game.
  • KD 29 Jan 2020 13:58:51 2,507 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
  • Slint1000 29 Jan 2020 18:13:45 3,561 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nice, Scotland and some cars for free. Yes please.
  • Deleted user 30 January 2020 08:05:34
    Lands March 24th, and is free for all season pass owners.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-01-29-dirt-rally-2-0-is-getting-a-colin-mcrae-themed-dlc-pack
  • Deleted user 30 January 2020 08:08:14
    Speaking of Dirt Rally, I have some time off coming up. Can we do another championship?
  • TheGreenYamo 30 Jan 2020 17:55:36 416 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'll pop up a new championship later this evening, same format as before, 3 events, 4 stages, 2 days per event.

Congrats to Pac/Lambretta for a deserved win in the previous one.

racing_fan suggested the R2s as a car choice, it'll be a nice change of pace, it might be easier for any of the new folks getting involved.

as a side note, i can't wait for the new content, especially the new course!
  • TheGreenYamo 30 Jan 2020 19:01:10 416 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well, after saying this might be a bit easier, I almost immediately missed a hairpin tun and ran into some stewards on the first stage, then threw the car down the side of a mountain in the second. Great start!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.