Following Dirt Rally 2 Page 94

• AboutHalfaStevas 14 Apr 2020 11:48:40 2,765 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Now I really wanna play Scud Race...
  • uiruki 14 Apr 2020 13:44:14 5,355 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Last time I tried it, the Model 3 emulator simulated the force feedback and everything. If you have a wheel, definitely give it a go. Sega Rally 2 wasn't working but who knows, a couple years of progress... might look into it tonight.
  • TheGreenYamo 19 Apr 2020 10:26:16 477 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    New championship is up. The last one was a three way tie!

Edited by TheGreenYamo at 10:26:24 19-04-2020
  • mothercruncher 19 Apr 2020 12:10:31 18,018 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Cheers!

In other news Iíve totally clicked and fallen in love with a car.

Iím slightly embarrassed itís a metrosexual Vauxhall called Adam.
  • DrStrangelove 19 Apr 2020 12:14:29 15,238 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Does it shag MG's?
  • mothercruncher 19 Apr 2020 15:09:30 18,018 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Probably, itís a right little scamp.
  • bighairybear65 20 Apr 2020 10:38:13 335 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Blimey Iíve not long owned this (lovely game) got it just before psplus (doh!) anyway.. Iíve just bought the year one pass and now Iíve suddenly got about 12 cars and 2.5 million in the bank! I havenít earned any of this, what a strange set up this game has... base game starts with 2 cars and 0 credits, pay a bit on their store and youíve suddenly jumped to owning practically everything! Kinda ruined the game for me tbh, feels like Iíve cheated.. all I wanted was the tracks and Colin Flatout. Weird structure 🤔
  • Mr_Sleep 20 Apr 2020 13:04:52 23,490 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    You should spend all that money on upgrading your engineers and co-driver rather than buying cars. This will make progress much quicker.

I have finally, after many months, performed reasonably well in one of the league events and haven't totalled my car or emo quit. I still put the car on the roof once but otherwise it was nice to do some competent driving for a change.

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 13:05:42 20-04-2020
  • mothercruncher 21 Apr 2020 12:41:19 18,018 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I canít see where Iím going on this at times, itís just an I distinct brown smudge in front of me and Iím just half throttling it for fear of ploughing into something. Donít know if itís an HDR thing, or my telly, or youíre meant to drive certain sections blind at dawn/dusk.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 21 Apr 2020 13:22:57 2,765 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That's just rally games, dude.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 21 Apr 2020 13:24:36 26,368 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mothercruncher wrote:
    I canít see where Iím going on this at times, itís just an I distinct brown smudge in front of me and Iím just half throttling it for fear of ploughing into something. Donít know if itís an HDR thing, or my telly, or youíre meant to drive certain sections blind at dawn/dusk.
    It's down to the HDR I think, a lot of people were complaining about it around release time. I'm sure you can edit the HDR settings somewhere and brighten it up.
  • DrStrangelove 21 Apr 2020 13:33:54 15,238 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Also depends on location and weather. New England has sight conditions that sometimes amount to driving blind. As in, you see less than in a night stage without lights.
  • Mr_Sleep 21 Apr 2020 14:32:19 23,490 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Now that I posted a decent time I am free to give advice again! Half throttle can often be really bloody useful so consider it a feature.

I think I was having two problems, one was my CPU that I unrelatedly upgraded and that I was pushing it far too much, now that I have remembered braking and engine braking it is flowing much nicer.

Just watch me total it on the next league race.

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 14:32:43 21-04-2020
  • KD 21 Apr 2020 14:42:52 2,885 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    My biggest issue is dropping concentration and missing what co-driver says, it's more a me issue and gaming in general but this game punishes the tiniest thing so half throttle maybe ain't so bad.
  • Mr_Sleep 21 Apr 2020 15:42:05 23,490 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I often go right when I should go left and end up having to do a donught to go the correct direction. The dropping of concentration is definitely a problem.
  • mothercruncher 21 Apr 2020 15:45:59 18,018 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Itís just takes a dog to walk in the room, or spot the washing on the line out of the window etc and Iíve crashed. Will often do OK for three quarters of it, realise i have and then immediately fuck it and crash.
  • KD 21 Apr 2020 16:03:12 2,885 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm in a vr headset, live alone with no pets but in all honesty I'm just still grieving for a death of someone I loved very much in 2019.

10/10 for escapism tho.
  • Dirt3 21 Apr 2020 16:06:03 1,141 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I often find it easier if I don't concentrate too much on the driving, the time gets a bit slower, but seem to make less mistakes.

Also feel sometimes the car "getting away from me" not really under control, it is almost as if your brain is not in sync with the car response. Normally if you brake, slow down a bit you can re-establish the link between your brain/hand movements and car response.

I have also felt a couple of times when I have played like my brain has gone into some sort of weird hyper focus, where I focus simply on reacting, and my reactions go faster. When I come out of it it is like waking from a daze, and the time is really fast.

Maybe its the reptilian brain taking over.
  • Mr_Sleep 21 Apr 2020 17:03:05 23,490 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @Dirt3 what you describe is called flow state. It is a lovely experience when it works. The thinking brain switches off and the automatic actions of your body take over. It is the same state that free solo climbers experience. Although I suspect theirs is not really comparable to me on DR2.0

All the best KD. Whatever gets one through.
  • Dirt3 21 Apr 2020 17:41:54 1,141 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    @Dirt3 what you describe is called flow state. It is a lovely experience when it works. The thinking brain switches off and the automatic actions of your body take over. It is the same state that free solo climbers experience. Although I suspect theirs is not really comparable to me on DR2.0

All the best KD. Whatever gets one through.
    Good to know. Maybe I can make that state with the hair clippers.
  • mothercruncher 21 Apr 2020 17:45:21 18,018 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Definitely achieved flow state wanking a few times. Then I came to and my Mum had left me a cup of tea.
  • DrStrangelove 21 Apr 2020 18:16:11 15,238 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah that flow is the best state for driving, when your thinking takes back seat and doesn't meddle with your "subconscious" driving. A bit like letting muscle memory take over, only that attention to the track and to co-driver calls is working like that too.

It's kinda like if your employee has great experience at their job and does it very well if you just leave them alone, vs. meddling with their work which adversely affects their performance.

The most extreme experience of this I had when playing that endless high score thing in Super Stardust HD. I entered a state where I had no idea what I was doing, I was just staring at the screen with disbelief about how that ship kept surviving, it looked impossible. I knew my fingers were doing something but it was completely disconnected. Like my brain split in two, one part going right from visual input to fingers while the other (conscious) one became a mere spectator.

Too bad I don't know of a reliable way to actively get my brain into this state, being aware and trying just makes it worse. One thing that works sometimes is to think of some completely unrelated stuff from real life or whatever, sometimes it works in a way that my conscious is occupied with something different so it won't meddle with the driving part. Kinda like if I start reading on the back seat instead of watching the driver and telling him what to do.
  • Mr_Sleep 21 Apr 2020 19:23:07 23,490 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I think it is only ever a state one gets into while doing something, it differs from meditation in some subtle way. I know David Eagle an talked about it in his Brain documentary. His book may have more information, I must pick it up.

One can get a similar experience through meditation but it is less useful as it tends to be a sedentary and in-place activity whereas flow is best experienced while doing.
  • damagedinc 22 Apr 2020 08:46:22 2,914 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Absolutely loving this, due to adult life can only use a controller which is a shame but after some research I have messed about with the settings and the game really has come alive.

Is the season pass including all four seasons and the colin mcrae pack with getting? Its 15.99 at moment

Edited by damagedinc at 08:46:34 22-04-2020
  • OllyJ 22 Apr 2020 08:51:29 4,784 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    damagedinc wrote:
    Absolutely loving this

Is the season pass including all four seasons and the colin mcrae pack with getting?
    Yes!
  • Bambot 22 Apr 2020 11:26:14 1,879 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    damagedinc wrote:
    Absolutely loving this, due to adult life can only use a controller which is a shame but after some research I have messed about with the settings and the game really has come alive.

Is the season pass including all four seasons and the colin mcrae pack with getting? Its 15.99 at moment
    What tweaks did you make and why?
  • damagedinc 22 Apr 2020 13:35:53 2,914 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mainly just around the steering saturation and sensitivity as I was feeling like I had no control over the car at all.

https://youtu.be/yPN54EllTec

That's the link if interested
  • bighairybear65 22 Apr 2020 15:48:31 335 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    damagedinc wrote:
    Mainly just around the steering saturation and sensitivity as I was feeling like I had no control over the car at all.

https://youtu.be/yPN54EllTec

That's the link if interested
    Thatís interesting I may try that out cheers :)
  • Mr_Sleep 22 Apr 2020 15:58:13 23,490 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Also fiddle with the UI. I tend to play with the UI off and I find it helps concentration a great deal. Might not work for everyone, of course.

If on PC FPS and view distance are the two most important things so focus on those, assuming you have an underpowered graphics card like me.

So, so close in the current championship.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.