Following Dirt Rally 2 Page 97

• TheGreenYamo 29 May 2020 12:10:19 449 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hey all, sorry about the lack of championship this week, I've just set one up now.

My controller broke, I'm hoping the new one arrives in time so I can do the first stage!

Congrats again to Salrip for another win in the last round.
  • DrStrangelove 1 Jun 2020 12:31:21 15,154 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I was actually joking when I said everyone wants RWD/rain... but thanks, just finished Scotland, great fun!
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 1 Jun 2020 12:55:18 24,942 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    See they've got the WRC licence from 2023
  • KD 1 Jun 2020 13:26:40 2,723 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah how dare I ask for the Dirt Rally team to make it, I'm being told off in the comments right now heh.
  • mothercruncher 1 Jun 2020 13:26:56 17,746 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    I was actually joking when I said everyone wants RWD/rain... but thanks, just finished Scotland, great fun!
    I didnít /o\
  • OllyJ 2 Jun 2020 09:23:01 4,755 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    KD wrote:
    Yeah how dare I ask for the Dirt Rally team to make it, I'm being told off in the comments right now heh.
    hope this helps

Worth following on twitter, everything is transparent, and messaged loud and clear.

Edited by OllyJ at 09:23:34 02-06-2020
  • KD 2 Jun 2020 12:37:53 2,723 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @OllyJ Cheers, I was just laughing at the person who replied under the main news article to me, I gave a little comment and had someone tell me off for it. I see the Dirt numered games as some damn fine motorsport games but the 2 Dirt Rally games have been something special and especially after some people waited since Richard Burns Rally for a more sim like game.

I have followed that twitter account now, cheers for that.
  • mudskipp 2 Jun 2020 14:47:46 57 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm finding sometimes when approaching a corner I can usually get my car turning or push further into a drift, but sometimes I'll end up just locked on course with no hope of avoiding the inevitable tree/telegraph pole. Tend to be driving the boxy golf.
    I'm playing this as a fan of the down to earth landscapes and rain/wet road effects as much as a motorsport fan, is this a specific driving principle I'm oblivious to and falling foul of?
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 2 Jun 2020 14:52:28 24,942 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sounds like understeer. If you mean the FWD Golf then understeer is just part of driving a FWD car, but essentially you're just going too fast into the corner and losing traction. Try with a AWD you'll notice the difference.
  • DrStrangelove 2 Jun 2020 15:18:22 15,154 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not sure how to feel about this to be honest. It'd be cool to have a hardcore WRC game but still I'd prefer Dirt Rally because it's so heavy on historic rally. R5 is the 4WD class I enjoy the least, my favourite 4WD class is Group A. And the most fun I have overall is an 80s 911. I wouldn't want any resources taken away from DR.

It all boils down to different audiences I guess. I'm not a fan of the "main" Dirt games, but that's simply because I personally don't like that arcadey stuff. Far be it from me to devaluing the preferences of other players, I mean I might find myself on the other side of the fence if I prefer playing Afterburner to some airplane sim, or Civilization to one of those overwhelming hardcore strategy games.

There has to be something for everyone, and main Dirt is good at what it's trying to do. I did enjoy Dirt 2 for what it is even though it's not what I really want. I think it gets more difficult when a game tries to appeal to everyone. Like, I respect Dirt 4's attempt to combine the two, but it didn't really work for me, felt like neither fish nor flesh tbh. To me it feels a bit like trying to cram Need for Speed and Assetto Corsa into one game, and tbh I don't think that's ever going to work.

Where does that leave WRC? I guess it can be neither as hardcore as DR nor as arcadey as Dirt. It has to be some middle ground and as a player on the DR end of the spectrum I'm pretty confident I'm going to skip it because I have DR.

The next issue is locations, I always upheld the stages are the real stars of DR. Modelled after real life locations with great attention to detail, every corner in Wales or Greece etc. feels like a unique individual with its own history. Hell, even the straights do. It just feels so organic and real. CM can't accurately model every stage on the WRC calendar because they don't have Activision amounts of cash.

Kylotonn chose some hybrid way, creating fantasy stages with "hot spots" that are modelled after real life locations. I think that's a very sensible approach really, but still from all gameplay videos I've watched it still always had that fantasy stage feel with repeating generic sections without a lot of detail.

I wish I could test this myself, but sadly the WRC games are never on a good sale and I can't spend some 20-40 EUR only to find out if the stages feel like they look in gameplay videos while I'm not really interested in driving modern WRC cars anyway.

I also don't really get the "don't make this hardcore" argument when people say at the same time WRC is already as realistic/hardcore as DR. Is WRC8 as hardcore as DR or isn't it? It can't be both. DR did an admirable job at being difficult/hardcore while still being super accessible. I honestly don't see how you could make R5 cars easier to drive without compromising on realism. Or by making the stages easier.

TLDR, I'm not hugely excited about WRC games, not matter if Kylotonn or Codemasters. DR3 is the only thing I'd be really interested in. But again, that's just me and I'm only one part of the audience.
  • DrStrangelove 2 Jun 2020 15:20:19 15,154 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Sounds like understeer. If you mean the FWD Golf then understeer is just part of driving a FWD car, but essentially you're just going too fast into the corner and losing traction. Try with a AWD you'll notice the difference.
    Yeah, this. FWD cars have big issues with understeer. After 100s of hours in DR1+2, I still haven't figured out how to get through corners with them in any way that doesn't resemble a headless chicken.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 15:28:41 02-06-2020
  • mudskipp 6 Jun 2020 21:23:23 57 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Cheers, yea tried a different car and obviously immediately started spinning out and driving off cliffs with all the extra turning ability.
    Really enjoying this so bought the expansions, I was hoping there'd be a 'championship 2' or something under 'my team' but if I want to drive the new tracks in a championship does it have to be a custom /community one?
    Also the flatout section of menu is still faded out.. Do I have to find nicky grist at a bonfire and give him a ford focus badge or something to activate it?
    Edit:nm you just have to click download on the psn shop to activate

Edited by mudskipp at 22:16:08 06-06-2020
  • mudskipp 7 Jun 2020 21:16:37 57 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ah had a look round all the community stuff, there's loads of options for races. Even a fwd club! Retract my complaint about the dlc not adding another championship thing. Levelling up staff seemed a distraction from actually learning to crash less anyway.

I've also requested to join the eurogamer one if you guys are still running one
  • TheGreenYamo 9 Jun 2020 11:33:49 449 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @mudskipp I've accepted your join request for the club.

New championship is live, I went for the F2 Kit cars as I don't think we've raced them in a championship. I have no idea how to to drive these things fast, especially around hairpin bends.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 9 Jun 2020 11:43:33 24,942 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'll try to get on this time, getting the urge to set the wheel up again lately.
  • mothercruncher 9 Jun 2020 12:25:32 17,746 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Thanks GY.
  • Dirt3 9 Jun 2020 12:26:32 1,016 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @DrStrangelove

Tend to feel the same way.

Dirt rally is an excellent game, but it would be great with more stages/events. Another thing that is sorely lacking is WRC cars (obviously because they didn't have the licence). It would have been really nice to have at least some of the later WRC cars it it, because they are so nice to drive.

That said I love the historic rally cars and it gives the game a chance to have more variation between the cars, and better gameplay. My guess is that the latest WRC cars would be all pretty samey in terms of power and handling, making for a much less varied driving experience.

I think the Dirt Rally physics is fine, but I hear (not from direct experience) that they could use better wheel force feedback and most people seem to feel the tarmac physics is poor. Certainly I feel the tarmac is the more frustrating surface to drive on a controller.

Where will they go ? Produce a separate Dirt WRC game and keep Dirt Rally running as a separate series ? Will this mean they drop the main Dirt series and replace it with Dirt WRC ? Or will they try to do one game that includes everything with loads of add ons ?

I see that they have announced Project Cars 3 from SMS (which is now Codies) which appears to be much less hard(er) core sim and more like grid. I don't know how successful that will be. To me they would have been better keeping the PCars aim (harder core sim) and just waiting for release on PS5/next gen rather than dumbing down the series for a PS4/XB1 release.

To me they have bought up a load of new stuff (WRC and SMS) in a very short amount of time. It's a bit of a challenge to see how they are going to integrate it and what we end up with. I am not sure the lack of competition will lead to great games now with Codies owning so much of the market.
  • mudskipp 9 Jun 2020 15:52:43 57 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    TheGreenYamo wrote:

New championship is live, I went for the F2 Kit cars as I don't think we've raced them in a championship. I have no idea how to to drive these things fast, especially around hairpin bends.
    Cheers ta. Not gonna be troubling the podium anytime soon but having specific tracks and car combos gives a nice target to mess around with now I've got so much dlc stuff.

(can't believe how boring the germany rally course looks! those little stones in the grass verges too, least interesting but most infuriating obstacle! Can see why they felt the need to add a hot air balloon)
  • Dirt3 9 Jun 2020 18:43:48 1,016 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mudskipp wrote:
    TheGreenYamo wrote:

Cheers ta. Not gonna be troubling the podium anytime soon but having specific tracks and car combos gives a nice target to mess around with now I've got so much dlc stuff.

(can't believe how boring the germany rally course looks! those little stones in the grass verges too, least interesting but most infuriating obstacle! Can see why they felt the need to add a hot air balloon)
    The stones are there to stop you taking the piss.

IIRC the german course is a military proving ground. I thought there was a fighter plane somewhere.

Each course I believe has an animal that makes a rare appearance. The German animal is a deer I think.
  • andytheadequate 9 Jun 2020 21:09:01 9,151 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I always enjoy the German stages in DR1. After the constant stress and battle for control in Greece or Sweden it's nice to just drive flat out for a bit.
  • Mr_Sleep 10 Jun 2020 09:19:58 23,340 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @andytheadequate Spain, New Zealand and Poland all have various flat out sections. Have you bought DR2 yet? 😊
  • mudskipp 10 Jun 2020 09:39:46 57 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dirt3 wrote:

Each course I believe has an animal that makes a rare appearance. The German animal is a deer I think.
    Ah I saw the deer! I thought it was a dog off the lead running across the park/road at the time. It's the only time I've seen an animal on one of the courses and happened the first time I'd driven a Germany one so assumed it was a regular occurrence to distract from the acres of flat homogeneous grass.
  • andytheadequate 10 Jun 2020 10:29:10 9,151 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    @andytheadequate Spain, New Zealand and Poland all have various flat out sections. Have you bought DR2 yet? 😊
    Not yet! I'm definitely going to though. Still really enjoying the career in DR1 but will get 2 for the new tracks. My laptop can only run DR1 on fairly low settings so tempted to wait until I get an xbox before getting DR2. I'm keen to join in with the multiplayer challenges on here though, are they cross platform?

4wd cars feel a bit like cheating after driving the old rwd ones. After driving the 1970s Lancia that was hard to keep on a straight line, to a 1980s Renault that couldn't get round a hairpin, the class A Subaru was ridiculously easy to drive in comparison. Any recommendation on which class to try next? Was considering one of the newer ones, but also tempted by Class B.

Do most people drive in first person/ cockpit cam? I assumed most people would use it for a sim game, but looking at some pretty good racers online seem to suggest a lot use third person.
  • Dirt3 10 Jun 2020 10:40:55 1,016 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mudskipp wrote:
    Dirt3 wrote:

Ah I saw the deer! I thought it was a dog off the lead running across the park/road at the time. It's the only time I've seen an animal on one of the courses and happened the first time I'd driven a Germany one so assumed it was a regular occurrence to distract from the acres of flat homogeneous grass.
    There are rabbits, deer, foxes and squirrels I think. They appear quite infrequently.

I have also seen what I thought was a Sasquatch in New England, but not entirely sure.
  • DrStrangelove 10 Jun 2020 11:27:40 15,154 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    Any recommendation on which class to try next? Was considering one of the newer ones, but also tempted by Class B.
    Group B is quite a handful, it's really over the top. The later 4WD cars tend to be easier than Group A. I prefer Group A but 2000cc is also pretty fun.

Do most people drive in first person/ cockpit cam? I assumed most people would use it for a sim game, but looking at some pretty good racers online seem to suggest a lot use third person.
    Always bonnet cam here. I never use cockpit cam in any game because it takes away so much screen space. I mean, even with bonnet cam my screen/tv are much smaller in my field of view than the windscreen is in real life. Removing another 2/3 of that or so I find near-unplayable. Never played VR though, that might change everything.
  • Mr_Sleep 10 Jun 2020 13:05:58 23,340 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Bonnet cam for me too. Seems to be the most intuitive and best experience.

The leagues are cross platform.
  • salrip 10 Jun 2020 13:11:21 131 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Realised I did not have any F2 kit cars, I guess they come with seasons 3 or 4, which i don't have. Went ahead and bought one from the store - a very twitchy little thing to drive!

I also use bonnet cam. That makes the most sense for me, there's no need to see the steering wheel on the screen when holding a controller and as DrStrangelove says, you lose too much screen space.
  • andytheadequate 10 Jun 2020 13:21:01 9,151 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It is a bit annoying with how much space the interior takes up, but I love how immersive it feels. The bonnet cam makes much more sense but don't find it as fun personally.

Similation racing games in third person feel a bit naff, to me it makes much more sense in an arcade game where people are trying to ram you.

I usually pick my car for each class based on how it looks, which is a bit stupid really considering I never really see the exterior.

Edited by andytheadequate at 13:21:57 10-06-2020
  • mudskipp 10 Jun 2020 13:31:16 57 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hah I've been doing similar but with the interiors. That lancia fulvia wooden dashboard with the clip on pencil sets a high standard though!

I always drove third person until playing this, then switched to interior, though I'll occasionally switch back with a new car so I can see more clearly what it's doing round corners.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 10 Jun 2020 13:44:02 24,942 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    They added in the other dash cam from DR 1 which is, pretty much perfect imo.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.