Following Dirt Rally 2 Page 100

• Mr_Sleep 21 Jun 2020 21:35:14 23,340 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    It is mental though, I had one serious loss of seconds when I spun and had a bit of an Austin Powers moment. I also took the 4 right of Spectator death very gingerly.
  • whatthefu 21 Jun 2020 22:22:13 1,327 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Over a year after I bought this game I'm finally enjoying it.
    I reinstalled it and the update they have done to the career has helped.

Admittedly I'm currently playing on pad, but I thought it doesn't matter. I bought it when it was new and had played less than 10 hours on it.
  • salrip 22 Jun 2020 21:13:28 131 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That is indeed awesome. I think I'd rather come third with half a second to first place than win with one minute :) Big thanks for the tire tip - I never learn which stage to choose soft tires in monaco...

Question: How much of the stages do you guys memorise? After playing for I don't know how many hours I of course recognise the stages but my memory is really piss poor so I can't rely on it. Some countries is easier for me to recognise, but for example new zealand, australia and even sweden - every time I drive there it's like I do it for the first time. Scotland on the other hand, driving just a few times and it feels like my backyard...
  • mothercruncher 22 Jun 2020 22:06:29 17,746 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I donít memorise the rickety wooden fence after the hairpin in Monaco, thatís for sure. Every. Cunting. Time.
  • Mr_Sleep 22 Jun 2020 22:12:41 23,340 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I only remember specific danger corners for the most part. This is not true of many of the DR1 tracks like Wales where I could probably call out the pace notes of large sections. My times are always better on the DR1 tracks.
  • salrip 22 Jun 2020 22:17:12 131 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mothercruncher wrote:
    I donít memorise the rickety wooden fence after the hairpin in Monaco, thatís for sure. Every. Cunting. Time.
    I can relate.
  • salrip 22 Jun 2020 22:24:46 131 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    I only remember specific danger corners for the most part. This is not true of many of the DR1 tracks like Wales where I could probably call out the pace notes of large sections. My times are always better on the DR1 tracks.
    I'm not alone in making the same mistake at the same corner every time, as noted above. I think I did better in DR1. Maybe it might have been because VR, that extra depth makes you memorise the stages better, it feels more real in a sense. You would think that with 100 hours or more every corner would be known but no... (there's no way to see hours spent on a game on PS4 right?)

I guess I'm just looking for an excuse to not win - "I did not recall that corner sir!" :)
  • DrStrangelove 22 Jun 2020 23:54:00 15,154 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've memorised Wales best, but that would be expected since I've been playing it since DR1 early access day 1 and it's always been my favourite so I've played it more than anything else. But what also helps is that it's got so many memorably unique sections and spots, in the sense that you have to approach each of them differently. The opposite is Finland where I can't memorise anything because it's basically 20km of the exact same thing.
  • KD 23 Jun 2020 01:06:33 2,723 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Same here as most of you, can remember Wales the most with sections like the water jump and tight corners bit or the 2 big white gates over the track, trying to skip a gate by going on outside of the right post at speed when travelling one way and remembering to brake on the other way through.
  • mudskipp 23 Jun 2020 05:13:28 57 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @mothercruncher hah was going to ask what caused those 15 minutes times in monte carlo.

For Germany I practised on time trials quite abit and it didn't save me from missing that crest 5 right after a deer on the road distracted me. So now I just play each stage once (if have time!) before doing the EG run so I can note the major mistakes I'll likely make.

Ps although the top of the table was pretty exciting, I was chuffed to get some mid table security for a change!
  • mudskipp 24 Jun 2020 20:02:39 57 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Anyone ever try the racetrack courses? I really struggle to tell where the corners are. I like the realism of the varied track set up but find the path you're actually supposed to take hard to spot
  • TheGreenYamo 25 Jun 2020 08:52:51 449 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I tend to remember the MURDERCORNERS. I've been playing the it a lot more recently, doing single player championships and the online daily/weekly stuff, so a lot of the courses are fresh in my mind.

Any car & course suggestions for the next league? Is there anything the newer folk would like to try out?
  • TheGreenYamo 25 Jun 2020 08:54:27 449 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @mudskipp I still struggle with the RallyCross tracks when they pop up in the daily challenges, I tend stick to proper rally stuff in the main game.
  • mudskipp 25 Jun 2020 11:50:53 57 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    There's still some car classes I can't drive at all, but I think spain in the wet is the only course I find frustrating.
    Getting more of a feel for tarmac in the dry to the point i think I might actually enjoy germany now but I just lose the ability to turn when it's wet. I feel like there's an intuitive understanding of why you slide in mud or gravel, whereas wet tarmac almost seems like it's got more but less useful grip?
    Anyway so long as it's not spain in the wet & RWD 900bhp I should be able to finish the courses!
  • DrStrangelove 3 Jul 2020 09:00:37 15,154 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've set up a new championship, trying a slightly longer schedule this time (5 stages and 3 days per event). Group A.
  • TheGreenYamo 3 Jul 2020 09:18:31 449 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @DrStrangelove Nice one! I was struggling to think what to set up.
  • damagedinc 4 Jul 2020 13:41:21 2,843 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think the fourth stage gave me epilepsy
  • mothercruncher 4 Jul 2020 14:26:17 17,746 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I literally just congratulated myself on starting the dark stage without a fucked car and working headlights, then the dogs burst into the room and I twatted it into a bank, finished most of it with one headlight.
  • TheGreenYamo 4 Jul 2020 14:38:30 449 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I crashed and punctured on the third corner of the first stage, then repeated the same feat a few corners later, I pretty rage quit at that point :D .I forget the Lancia is quite a bit more powerful than the other Group As.
  • Bichii 4 Jul 2020 15:43:25 3,092 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Damn this is intense! Just played through the first career championship of six different countries. Missed lunch and everything. :). My god Poland and Australia were nails. I won the championship by three points and Australia was so so hard. I just had to drive the second half of it overly cautious as if I dnf I wouldn't win the championship. Managed to scrape home in 7th in Australia to just win the whole thing. I'm far more comfortable in sections full of tight turns. By far the hardest for me is the fast sections full of 5 and 6 corners. I didnt tune anything as I've no idea what to do I only purchased the upgrades when they were available.

On the career championship I can't see another to do under rally? When I click on it again it's the same event in the same car.
  • Slint1000 4 Jul 2020 16:28:18 3,576 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You need to buy a new car if you want to try out another in career mode. You can drive whatever you like in time trial and historic championships if you want to give some others a go first. Or you could just set up a customer championship.

If youíve done a full set of six locations in your first go in career you should have some credits to spend. Sounds like you won, so it will be slightly harder this time around.

Donít worry if you donít win, itís all part of learning how the game works and getting better with the cars.
  • Bichii 4 Jul 2020 16:30:13 3,092 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Cool thanks. I think I ended up with maybe 90,000 so I'll check later what that will get me.
  • whatthefu 4 Jul 2020 16:48:22 1,327 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    In the career I've been promoted to the third tier and I still haven't finished at all in Australia lol.
    The game certainly pushes you when you find your level.

I bought the DLC and straight away the DR1 rallies were added into the career, I'd rather there was an option in-game to turn that off. I'd rather put more time in on the new rallies in career mode, but have the old ones available for the online dr2 club.
  • mothercruncher 4 Jul 2020 17:53:12 17,746 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The weekly events end, Monday morning I think? You can enter the first race of them bichii and then quit and youíll get the lowest tier payout when they end, which is still a decent way to earn cash. If you remember to do that occasionally itís a nice way to keep the cash flowing. Then, once a month enter those races too and the payout is even better.
  • Mr_Sleep 4 Jul 2020 18:23:01 23,340 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    TheGreenYamo wrote:
    I crashed and punctured on the third corner of the first stage, then repeated the same feat a few corners later, I pretty rage quit at that point :D .I forget the Lancia is quite a bit more powerful than the other Group As.
    I got one puncture about five corners from the end of the first stage and otherwise I was largely faultless. Well, there were the normal interactions with Bush and Bank but nothing too damaging.

It amuses me that I saved my best drive for much of the field being DNF.
  • Mr_Sleep 4 Jul 2020 18:25:50 23,340 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @Bichii regarding 5 and six corners, ease off the throttle until you are pointed correctly within the corner and then accelerate. This pretty much applies to all corners but many 5 corners can't be taken flat out, 6 often can but even that is not always the case.

Oh and the main advice, when the co-driver says caution he means it.

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 18:27:11 04-07-2020
  • Bichii 4 Jul 2020 18:28:35 3,092 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Cool thanks all.

Just re loaded it. Went into my garage for the first time, turns out I have one other cart with about double the bhp of the starting lancia. No idea why I thought I had around 90,000 as I have nearly 400,000.
  • KD 4 Jul 2020 18:46:48 2,723 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    https://dirtrally2.dirtgame.com/clubs/club/179065 if interested.

Just had one of my worst runs, not been on for a week or so and still getting used to the wheel.
  • Bichii 4 Jul 2020 18:59:11 3,092 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Damn this is good. Half way through my first rally cross championship in a soaking wet loheac Bretagne track in France. In rally I've got to be in car view but for some reason in rally cross I want to be out of the car view. Is that a time trial club thing? After a few races on this track I've managed to get sub 37 in the starting Opel which I was chuffed about but it's still over 2 seconds off world's best.

I haven't played a racing game since drive club came out but this is fun.

Edited by Bichii at 18:59:59 04-07-2020

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.