Following Dirt Rally 2 Page 2

• DrStrangelove 2 Oct 2018 23:42:12 14,594 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    First Dirt Rally 2.0 live stream, answering questions while footage is shown of NZ, Argentina (which looks menacing), and some rallycross:

They're talking about VR, which won't be there at launch, but they say they're closely listening to feedback and requests, which sounds like it's likely that it's going to be added later.

They're also talking about track deformation and tyre wear. It's been established before that this time you can choose between different tyres, now they confirmed there'll be tyre wear too. Track deformation means that the first 5 to start will find a pretty smooth and slippery track, the next 5 are going to find ideal conditions with smooth "rails" on the track, and everyone after is going to find a less ideal deeply deformed track. I'm not sure if this means an organic growth of tracks or simply 3 versions of every track. In the rallycross footage you can see some track deformation happening in real time though during the race.

Also, it seems to me that the car is livelier even on straights, bumping and shaking around more than in DR1.

Your co-driver is Phil Mills, who won the WRC 2003 with Petter Solberg.

No fantasy or generated tracks, only real-life rally tracks like in DR1. No different handling models like in Dirt 4, only simulation mode.

After finishing a stage, you apparently have to slow down and "stop by marshal", so finishing the stage while jumping off the cliff doesn't seem to be an option anymore.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 23:47:57 02-10-2018
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 5 Oct 2018 11:58:09 21,090 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Looking great here.

• DrStrangelove 5 Oct 2018 15:47:15 14,594 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    "So much more of a challenge" - just what Dirt Rally needed \o/
  • Deleted user 5 October 2018 16:08:33
    I am terrible at dirt rally but I do like it. I'll be all over 2.0
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 30 Dec 2018 13:56:27 21,090 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    This is looking moist.

Edited by Decks at 13:56:39 30-12-2018
  • DrStrangelove 30 Dec 2018 16:50:21 14,594 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Looks brilliant. Can't wait for the 911, Stratos was too easy obviously
  • Fake_Blood 30 Dec 2018 18:19:22 9,730 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FredClintstone wrote:
    So cranked. Dirt Rally was the best sim style Rally game on console since the Colin McRae games on og Xbox.
    Surely you mean Rallisport Challenge?
  • Fake_Blood 31 Dec 2018 12:50:43 9,730 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh ffs, fine. But why on the og xbox though? Colin McRae was on most platforms back then.
    I mean, if you say rally on the first xbox, Rallisport is the first thing I think about.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 26 Jan 2019 10:04:44 21,090 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sex

• DrStrangelove 26 Jan 2019 10:49:24 14,594 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That stage looks nastier than Wales, liking it already
  • OllyJ 29 Jan 2019 09:58:43 4,554 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    One of the new additions to the co-driver system we wanted to add was "pre-calls" on the start line, I was doing research and a lot of co-drivers give the driver a couple of corners before launch, felt the "good luck....let's get some points today" sort of thing was hard for the real life co-drivers to pull off realistically, this felt way more natural.

It may not add up to a huge feature, but trying to add nice little details like that help make it feel like a proper Rally stage!

If you listen around 6:04-6:13 on the replay you can really hear the stress we put Phil through on the motion rig come through, the vibration can be heard as he draws breath.

Phil Mills really did a cracking job, I think the best calls we've done tbh.

Edited by OllyJ at 10:18:26 29-01-2019
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 29 Jan 2019 10:05:30 21,090 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I would be available for any closed beta testing you may have running Olly you sexy bastard you.
  • Deleted user 29 January 2019 17:04:49
    I'm absolutely garbage at dirt rally but nonetheless I love it, and can't wait for 2.0. End of Feb release isn't it?
  • dsmx 29 Jan 2019 17:47:17 8,470 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @OllyJ Don't know if this has been answered elsewhere but....

The tilt to steer in GT Sport is brilliant, are you putting that in the PS4 version of dirt rally 2?

I ask because at my local motorclub we occasionally do "Playstation nights" and the tilt to steer is far more natural for some of the older members than using the analogue sticks and it would open the game up to them far more than using the analogue stick control.
  • TheGreenYamo 29 Jan 2019 18:42:37 338 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I am absolutely hyped for this. DR 1 is pretty much my favourite driving game of all time, even though I'm not particularly good at it (I always found myself languishing near the bottom of the EG league :D). I put over 235 hours on steam version, and countless into the PS4 version.
  • SteveBUK 29 Jan 2019 20:23:45 158 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    OllyJ wrote:

Phil Mills really did a cracking job, I think the best calls we've done tbh.
    These little touches really go a long way, just like going the extra mile on the sound. Dirt rally really had some great sounds.

I met Phil in Africa when he was testing with Petter, he wanted me to show him if there was anything he could do to the engine himself should any problems arise.

I ended up showing him how to change the spark plugs 😀 He was really keen to do as good a job as possible.

Looking forward to Dirt 2.0 👍
  • Dombat 29 Jan 2019 20:34:29 1,645 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TheGreenYamo wrote:
    I am absolutely hyped for this. DR 1 is pretty much my favourite driving game of all time, even though I'm not particularly good at it (I always found myself languishing near the bottom of the EG league :D). I put over 235 hours on steam version, and countless into the PS4 version.
    Yeah, I'm also not great at DR but loved the first game.

I think part of it is that AI generally doesn't work that well in single player racing games, due to issues of balancing, rubber banding etc.

With Dirt Rally your main adversaries aren't other racers, it's the clock, but more importantly, the tracks themselves. It's hugely satisfying at times just navigating a stage/rally without trashing your car. The handling model, whilst challenging, is very rewarding as you gradually get used to the car.

Brilliant game.
  • Deleted user 29 January 2019 21:11:48
    @Dombat

Indeed. It's great when you get round unscathed. I can do this plenty of times but ultimately end up with a shit time so it's a case of repetition at times. The handling model is so fucking good though.
  • OllyJ 30 Jan 2019 11:49:18 4,554 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @dsmx As far as I know it isn't an option, but it's a really good idea. Especially for inclusion with working with Special Effect, the charity that mods controllers for people with disabilities. Might open the game up to more people.
  • dsmx 30 Jan 2019 12:15:14 8,470 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @OllyJ Be great if you can make that change....might also be nice to see it patched into the other DIRT games on the PS4 but I'd settle for it in Dirt Rally 2.
  • OllyJ 30 Jan 2019 15:27:10 4,554 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Preview featuring USA and Poland stages. USA is such a lovely looking stage with the autumn setting and Poland is just stupid fast and technical.

Jon makes it look easy, but rest assured, he puts in times quicker than anyone, because he's got a Neo like brain connection with the game, he won the WRC esports world championships and is a real life rally driver, so he should be good.

For people like me however, it's as scary as you can imagine. It's just good to see it all played at it's absolute flat out potential.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 30 Jan 2019 15:29:59 21,090 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Any word on whether leagues will be in it? I don't think they ever arrived in Dirt 4 did they?
  • Wonderboyf60 30 Jan 2019 18:52:56 67 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hmm USA stage looks like a rehash of the one in Dirt 4. Hope they include some tracks from the first DR to bulk it up wouldn’t mind Monte in there.

Edited by Wonderboyf60 at 18:53:22 30-01-2019

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.