Following Dirt Rally 2 Page 103

• KD 24 Jul 2020 15:41:01 2,757 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    I'll create one. I try to create championships that everyone will enjoy, but it's only guesswork. Maybe I think people enjoy something but in fact everyone hates it.

So I'm doing a little experiment and created an online poll, your participation is appreciated and will affect the next championship (and possibly future ones).

Please don't pick answers based on what you'd think would be best for the league, but strictly how you think you personally would enjoy it most.

http://www.polljunkie.com/poll/etmsdp/eurogamer-dr2-league-poll

I'll create a new championship in a few days based on the results. Let's see where this goes!

edit: note: this poll website's sliders always start at 1. Of course there won't be single event championships or events with only 1 stage.

If your setting one up in a few day I'll pop a quick run for friday/saturday and see how many people hate it.

Edited by KD at 15:41:31 24-07-2020
  • DrStrangelove 24 Jul 2020 19:58:22 15,207 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah please do. The more results I get the better, so let's let it go on for a few days or a week. However, one notable thing early results point at is that 2 days per event is the way to go. So, absolutely do create a full 6-day championship, not just a single event.

edit:
    "yes" doesn't mean there'll never be no degradation
    That's a pretty convoluted sentence lol. Fixed that.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 20:22:45 24-07-2020
  • salrip 24 Jul 2020 20:30:26 138 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Answered the poll. I think about 4 or 5 events with 4-6 stages is fine and then maybe once in a while a harder event or two with maybe 10-12 stages to mix things up?
  • DrStrangelove 24 Jul 2020 20:39:47 15,207 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Of course that's an option too. A single stage event to mix things up a little with something like Group B 4WD (like in the old days of the league) could be fun. Personally, I don't like full championships with them because they're just so insane. Imo 10-12 stages seems a little over the top though because they're so exhausting.
  • mudskipp 25 Jul 2020 09:48:52 79 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Will fill out the poll! Missed last set of races due to getting into Control.

Totally smashed my car up on the last of the current races. Prior to that was enjoying the extra care in terms of avoiding ditches and the usual minor crashes due to hardcore damage. Just ran out of concentration trying to do it all in one sitting!
  • KD 25 Jul 2020 12:22:03 2,757 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @mudskipp I should have mentioned its full damage for this one off event, I'm on the wheel doing badly so just happy I survived it tbh.
  • mudskipp 25 Jul 2020 12:38:53 79 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @KD I clocked it on the menu screen thankfully, brought myself an extra tyre in anticipation, used both and finished on a rim!
  • DrStrangelove 26 Jul 2020 19:24:14 15,207 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Alright, I've created a new championship based on the poll results, as almost everyone seems to have answered it by now (many thanks for participating).

Some results I expected, some not so much. Personally, I'd love to do Rally GT with half of the stages in rain, but I can definitely see why not everyone would love that a lot.

Poll results:

- there's a clear tendency towards 4 events per championship with 4 stages and 2 days each. I fully agree with that and that's what I'd have done next time anyway.
    - night stages aren't very popular, with about half voting for 1 night stage per event and the other half for 0.
    - opinions on rain stages vary a lot, with great support for a location-based bias, but the results suggest there should be fewer than we were having recently.
    - there's a large majority for having track degradation.
    - 4WD is by FAR the most popular drivetrain type, I seem to be the only one who hasn't put it on #1. RWD is actually the least popular, so that has probably been way overrepresented recently. Judging from the results, I think 3 of 5 / 4 of 6 championships being 4WD seems reasonable.
    - there's a large majority for having FWD championships too, so they've been clearly underrepresented recently.

So I just created a new championship based on the results:
    - class is F2 Kit Car. We just had an FWD event, but it seems high time we had a full FWD championship.
    - as above, it's 4 events with 4 stages and 2 days each.
    - there are only 2 night stages overall. I've made sure they're directly after repair intervals so you can always start them with functioning headlights.
    - there are only 3 rain stages overall.
    - I've tried to pick locations that weren't being used in a while, most notably Germany which I think we haven't had in a long time. Spain is rarely used too, but I skipped it this time because we already have a full tarmac location with Germany.

Let's see how this one goes, hope you'll enjoy!
  • Mr_Sleep 26 Jul 2020 20:00:44 23,445 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Thanks for the effort. That is to say, thank you for doing all you are doing.

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 20:01:31 26-07-2020
  • Bichii 27 Jul 2020 09:20:30 3,164 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah I definitely hate it if night stages are not after a repair. You can't do it if you messed up last race and broke your lights. I really need to get back on this wonderful game.
  • mudskipp 27 Jul 2020 20:53:01 79 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Cheers for setting up the new championship! Fluked my way through a couple crashes there, judging by the times salrip wasn't quite so lucky on stage 4!

I was looking up group B earlier to see if it was a real thing, sounds even more mental than in the game. There's a highlights video on YouTube including people standing in the road before the cars come round too.
    Though tbf standing in the middle of the road would be relatively safe if I was driving.
  • KD 27 Jul 2020 21:17:55 2,757 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @mudskipp

Keep it on for the music and get really shocked how it all ends.
  • mudskipp 29 Jul 2020 10:11:33 79 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Cheers, yea I can see why things didn't continue down that route. That spectator crash is the kindof thing I used to have nightmares about when I learnt to drive, nothing you can do after a point once the momentum has thrown you off.

Less gloomily - it does make me chuckle when you veer off course in this game, drive round the pedestrians and no on turns round! Eyes glued to the road..
  • mudskipp 29 Jul 2020 10:52:09 79 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I was wondering if anyone fancied an ongoing time trial challenge btw?

Pick a single track/weather and see where everyone gets to after a fortnight or so?
  • salrip 29 Jul 2020 12:52:55 138 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I had a not so great minute of driving on the last stage in Poland. First I mistook a right turn for a left, went out in the field and got a 1 minute penalty before I had the chance to stop. Being mad for that I soon after went straight into a chicane, got stuck and when I reset the car hit the hay bales and got stuck on the roof which meant another reset. On top of that I got a puncture so that was another 1 minute penalty...

• mothercruncher 29 Jul 2020 13:12:38 17,831 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Polandís brutal, so fucking tight. Managed to puncture one sector in to the longest stage, couldnít face nursing through all the way to the end.
  • TheGreenYamo 29 Jul 2020 14:44:42 465 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @salrip OMG, that's the worst luck I think I've seen in this game.
  • mudskipp 31 Jul 2020 20:59:33 79 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Wait is there another way to get through chicanes?
    I find Sweden surprisingly forgiving given the conditions. Got away with some Tony hawk style flips there. Also I've realised you technically get less penalty for hitting spectators near the road than going flying off further, though not sure I can use this to my advantage successfully.

Oh actually genuine tip for anyone new - seems like you get free tyre changes if you finish a stage on a flat (or in my case one flat one rim) so does help time to just get to finish if you're near the end
  • Bichii 31 Jul 2020 21:04:05 3,164 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    mothercruncher wrote:
    Polandís brutal, so fucking tight. Managed to puncture one sector in to the longest stage, couldnít face nursing through all the way to the end.
    I think it's Poland I hate. So tight and most of the grass seems to have mario type springs that flip your car if you touch it. Think I'll bin this now. I won several championships in a row of normal rally and cross but as soon as I got to the higher level cars it just wasn't fun. I found I was either going too slow or I'd have to drive perfectly to be competitive..the slightest error is disaster.
  • Mr_Sleep 31 Jul 2020 23:08:19 23,445 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Well that was a waste of £1.49. I hate the Peugeot, it was dog shit. I will see how it is outside of Sweden as some of it could have been that. Although I have been getting decent times in Sweden of late.
  • KD 31 Jul 2020 23:53:06 2,757 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It's the only F2 car I got, hmm may buy another...
  • TheGreenYamo 1 Aug 2020 08:59:56 465 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Peugeot's definitely the fastest F2. Handling can be a bit fiddly though

Edit: Try it out on the tarmac stages, it's really good there

Edited by TheGreenYamo at 10:18:21 01-08-2020
  • KD 1 Aug 2020 13:43:05 2,757 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Tweaked the vr so Sweden isn't a white blur, bought the VW Golf and may have been first if I didn't roll on the last section of the last stage, 8 second penalty and lost by 9 seconds
  • DrStrangelove 4 Aug 2020 13:35:51 15,207 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Congratulations to Salrip for winning the championship and Stirkovic for a close 2nd place!

I had a lot of "half-lit" stages in there, i.e. dark enough for using headlights, sorry for that. For posterity, I've figured out how this works: "Dusk" is always with lights, "Sunset" is with lights under heavy rain/snow, but seems to be without under dry/light rain.

I've created a new one, with no DLC whatsoever this time so everyone has full access without buying anything. Class is R5 and I hope I got the dark stages right this time, but otherwise it's the same format as last time.
  • DrStrangelove 4 Aug 2020 13:41:01 15,207 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Everyone happy with the current format? For my liking, it kinda hits a sweet spot, but feedback is welcome. Now I think there could be some variation with a 4WD bias, e.g. we could also have a 5-event 2000cc championship, and later a 2-event Rally GT--or Group B 4WD for that matter--one because they're arguably too brutal/off-putting for long championships.

Or what's actually people's opinion about Group B 4WD? I find it the hardest/most exhausting class of all, harder than any RWD, but I wonder what everyone else thinks about that.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 13:43:17 04-08-2020
  • TheGreenYamo 4 Aug 2020 13:44:32 465 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @DrStrangelove I like the current format, cheers!

I missed out on doing the final event as I had to work when I'd planned to run it. I'd have crashed out anyway, I imagine. I'm rubbish at Finland.

EDIT: I love the GroupB 4WD, but they are a bit of a handful maybe do short stages only, and more service stops for them?

Edited by TheGreenYamo at 13:46:16 04-08-2020
  • KD 4 Aug 2020 13:52:33 2,757 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I didnt get the last event done, checked it too late last night. Its a lot of stages with not much time, maybe keeping a weekly pattern might be an option?

Whatever cars are fine for me, I'm switching back to a pad for all RWD and high BHP cars.
  • salrip 4 Aug 2020 17:16:35 138 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think I had 3 punctures in Finland. Late in the first stage and then early in the last. Took the penalty there and drove like a madman to make up for lost time, went quite well until the end of the stage where I crashed hard and got another puncture but thankfully not long before the finish.

The current format is good. And as long as we rotate and mix the different car classes and locations I'm happy.
  • mudskipp 4 Aug 2020 21:29:11 79 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @DrStrangelove I'm enjoying this setup too thanks!
    I've recently discovered gt cars as more stable than I expected based on them being rwd. Still got no chance with group B but a short series for abit of variety would be fun on occasion too
  • mothercruncher 4 Aug 2020 21:34:02 17,831 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yep, format is fab- thanks for the effort 👍

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.