Following Dirt Rally 2 Page 110

• mudskipp 12 Jan 2021 20:46:41 151 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oof some big errors there. Almost redeemed myself on the last stage, thought I had you then hit a steward for 21s. Must've been an important one.

Was wondering about your clutch setup, can you stall if say going sideways through a hairpin?
  • KD 12 Jan 2021 22:28:35 3,195 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It's pretty accurate, forward motion and depressing clutch will get the engine started if I stall, to actually stall it usually involves me making an error and having to switch from reverse to 1st.
  • spookyxelectric 12 Jan 2021 22:34:20 332 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I just picked this up during the current PSN sale. I'm terrible at it, but I'm enjoying it more than WRC 9, which I find to be a bit too hardcore for my tastes.

Did the PS4 version get a dynamic resolution patch at some point though? I watched DF's review of the game, and Tom was disappointed by 1080p resolution on Pro compared to the 4K presentation on the One X. I'm playing on the PS5, and I can't tell if it's native 4K or not, but it seems much higher than 1080p. In fact, it looks much better than WRC 9, and that has a proper PS5 version.
  • rammy18 14 Jan 2021 09:03:52 49 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Man Poland was tough, 2 minutes behind everyone after 1st stage! Upside down, puncture, multiple spins - never had a run like it
  • mudskipp 14 Jan 2021 09:53:21 151 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @spookyxelectric I've no idea sorry, I'm on base PS4 but my TV is old and I'm short sighted. Join the EG league though! We've got a mix of very fast and very slow drivers.

Speaking of, what's everyones 2000cc preference? I tried the Citroen, Skoda and Peugeot
  • Nitrous 14 Jan 2021 11:15:28 2,165 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @mudskipp For me it would be the
    Ford Focus RS Rally 2001 or 2007 I cant remember which I drove last or the Subaru Impreza S4 Rally which I think was part of the DLC flat out pack.
  • Decks 14 Jan 2021 11:29:13 28,417 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You like this but find WRC9 too hardcore? Do you live in opposite land?
  • rammy18 14 Jan 2021 12:44:20 49 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    I gave WRC9 a go after the positive reviews. Found it a bit meh....handling felt off. The career mode seemed hardcore, and way too confusing to bother with. That skills tree for staff is quite something
  • Decks 14 Jan 2021 12:48:09 28,417 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    In terms of handling its a lot less "hardcore" than DR2.
  • KD 14 Jan 2021 15:33:27 3,195 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The next one starts on Saturday so I extended it to run past next weekend.

https://i.imgur.com/0NzihCR.png
  • Nitrous 14 Jan 2021 15:42:44 2,165 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @KD would this be the hardcore damage event?
    I'll aim to do that in one sitting I think just hope I finish!
  • spookyxelectric 14 Jan 2021 15:54:42 332 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    In terms of handling its a lot less "hardcore" than DR2.
    I'm slow in both games, but I find it much easier to barrel roll into a tree or off a cliff in WRC 9 than I do in Dirt Rally 2. Maybe the roads are narrower in WRC 9, maybe it's because I'm using a controller, but yeah. I'm finding it a bit easier to get through the stages with my car in one piece in DR2 than WRC9. 🤷🏽‍♂️
  • mudskipp 14 Jan 2021 16:09:02 151 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    In pant Mawr, there's abit in second segment where you can break through the fence on a 4 left, go down a hillside then power back up the hill, jumping the fence and landing either into a tree or the road.

However given the hardcore damage setting and the relatively early position of the stage I'm not sure it's the time for me to deploy such a manourve
  • KD 14 Jan 2021 16:31:46 3,195 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Nitrous Yes, full damage, no assists and any camera view.
  • rammy18 14 Jan 2021 16:51:49 49 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    No assists? May have to sit this one out, manual gears on a pad may be beyond me. Does anyone go manual on a pad?
  • KD 14 Jan 2021 17:18:25 3,195 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I can't do auto anymore since Forza 4 on 360, best thing I did was switch and only had this wheel since black friday sales in 2019. On a Xbox pad I always had X as up gear and A as down gear.

Some asked for all this with forced cockpit, its a one off and no harm trying.
  • Nitrous 14 Jan 2021 18:15:52 2,165 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'll need to practice a bit if I've not got Abs to help me but otherwise should be OK I hope...
  • KD 14 Jan 2021 18:56:12 3,195 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I set long repair times so not as bad as it could be, bit of a change.
  • mudskipp 14 Jan 2021 19:58:08 151 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @rammy18 I do. I've got em on x & square on playstation.
    The hardest thing for me was getting used to reversing, but if you just hammer downshift you'll get reverse quick. That maybe takes a fraction more time but I've found it quite fun changing gear into and out of corners. pretty sure it's saved me a few times when heading for an accident too by dropping a gear
  • rammy18 15 Jan 2021 11:28:27 49 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    @KD sorry didn't mean to sound moany, appreciate you can't please everyone!
    I'll have a go at manual over the weekend and see how I get on, could be the start of something beautiful
  • rammy18 15 Jan 2021 11:29:02 49 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    @mudskipp cheers for the tips, i'll give it a bash
  • salrip 15 Jan 2021 13:19:48 164 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I drive with manual gears on a pad. Going manual was daunting at first for me but if you stick with it it shouldn't be too long until it's second nature and you don't really think about gear changes at all. As an added bonus your times will get better when you get the hang for it and you can use it in most driving games going forward. A good rule of thumb in the beginning is to have the same gear as the corner number.
  • DrStrangelove 15 Jan 2021 19:51:42 15,371 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I use manual on PS4 pad too, also X and square. I also greatly recommend to learn it, it gives you better control and better times and more satisfaction imo. I was already used to manual before playing DR1 thanks to Gran Turismo, it's definitely something I'd suggest to learn that will benefit in all these games.

As Salrip said, it may feel like you're failing at first but rather sooner than later it'll become second nature and you never even think about it, your subconscious just does it for you. It's all about practice, I recommend starting without competitive pressure, just spend some time with relaxed driving in time trial mode and you should soon get the hang of it.
  • Nitrous 15 Jan 2021 21:54:07 2,165 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Manual is better especially on a wheel but I'm surprised nobody is using L1 to shift down and R1 to shift up. Then again I'm probably the only one in here who would use the right stick for throttle/brake controls with probably R2 or O as the handbrake.

I've never used the triggers not even on the xbox for racing games.
  • Nitrous 16 Jan 2021 18:15:29 2,165 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Well that could have gone better. I had a damaged radiator in stage 2 which went on to become an engine issue in stage 3. The rest of the Rally went OK despite a few spins in various stages.
  • mudskipp 17 Jan 2021 15:22:54 151 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Nitrous that's a good shout actually I often find myself stuck between shifting down and wanting to use handbrake.

I went for the Skoda in the end, feels abit easier to keep in a straight line than the Citroen. Managed to keep things steady and without incident on first couple runs but I did slip off into a tree already misjudging camber. Could of been way worse, tension of extra damage is keeping me on edge of seat!
  • salrip 18 Jan 2021 08:19:20 164 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Did the last couple of stages this morning. First half of the rally went well, don't remember that I had any issues at all really. Second half were another story. Maybe not bad but a few rolls, a puncture, engine issues, a couple of dead spectators and such.
  • rammy18 18 Jan 2021 09:15:41 49 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    So after all of the advice and tips I gave manual a go - 1st stage went well I thought, not fast but got around with only one spin and a bit of a panic trying to find reverse. But as I crossed the line I was quietly satisfied...but what's this? Why is my car not slowing down?! Don't hit the stewards...there's a tree....fuck!!
    Absolutely destroyed the car. Third after first stage, rock bottom last after limping around the next two with a car in pieces.
    But still, thanks all for nudging me toward manual. It's definitely more fun and I reckon with a bit of practice I can get those times down
  • rammy18 18 Jan 2021 09:17:57 49 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    @mudskipp I found it easier to have the handbrake mapped to left bumper button - having handbrake and two gear shifters all next to each other was confusing the hell out of me
  • KD 18 Jan 2021 13:30:34 3,195 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I had a nightmare, carried damage through the majority of it and did most the last stage with a flat tyre. All in vr with the wheel and clutch, didn't make the under 60mins total but really enjoyed.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.