Spawn Remake Incoming - Directed by McFarlane himselv

• The-Bodybuilder 25 Sep 2018 19:06:28 17,540 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Pre Production seems to be gathering pace

Movie is backed by the studio of the Purge movies, has Jamie Foxx and Jeremy Renner attached.

I'm a HUGE Spawn fan, and it was always inevitable a remake would happens, as it's arguably the only non-Marvel/DC comic character after the last 20-30 years to actually be mainstream.

I am slightly concerned however. I know McFarlane is a first time director (alarm bells) and fair play to him resisting the huge number of studios that have wanted the license to get a bit of that MCU money at the only available license, and he resisted to stick to the vision he had. I am concerned that the re-imagining is a bit maybe too far. I get it, it's more horror than superhero, but sounds like he's not even gonna look like Spawn.

Gone for a "Low budget" plan so they can take risks and stick to his vision. Apparently neither Foxx nor Renner will get paid unless the movie does well, so it's all based on their passion for the project. I can only hope the script must be that damn good to still keep Foxx attached and even Renner involved.

One thing's for sure, it will be something different.

Disclaimer: I know the Spawn movie was a turd, but I still love it as a kid. Also seeing Michael Jai White and learning about his martial arts background got me into martial arts myself (and last year had the pleasure of walking past him in Oxford Street, then approaching him and having a long talk and photos). Could still paly the role now, even at 52.
  • The-Bodybuilder 25 Sep 2018 19:07:42 17,540 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Damn you minor grammatical error.
  • neilka 25 Sep 2018 19:15:19 22,459 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It's not going to be as good as the classic Will Ferrell Christmas film, Elv.
  • JoeBlade 25 Sep 2018 19:22:04 4,322 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yea, I think I may pick it up when it hits the bottom bargain shelv.
  • Deleted user 26 September 2018 10:19:05
    I'm an apologist for the '97 Spawn movie. I think there's a fair chance it could end up better than this, with McFarlane being a first time director it could go both ways. Let's wait and see.

It's a relic from the 90s but I wouldn't mind a Witchblade movie.
  • drhickman1983 26 Sep 2018 10:33:55 5,724 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Used to be a fab of Spawn, had a fair few trade paperbacks of the comics.

The new film does sound like it's going to be quite different to the classic image of Spawn. Could be good or bad, I guess.

I think I rather enjoyed the animated series, had some decent moments. So long ago can't be sure if it was good or of I just thought it was.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.