NaNoWriMo 2018

First Previous
  • sunjumper 1 Oct 2018 16:08:00 3,482 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    November is drawing near and it is time to think about writing way too much in way too little time. I guess I will take my half dead prologue from last year and try to put some serious work in it for a change.

So who else is in?

NaNoWriMo 2018 Dramatis Personae (in order of appearance)

Sunjumper
    Your-Mother
    Wuntyphyve
    Rice_sandwichi
    BearFishPie
    Raw_Shark
    MetalDog
    FogHeart

Supporting cast (may write something this month)
    The12thMonkey

MIA
    Fontgeeksogood (is he really dead though or will he return with some last minute prose)
    Carbon_Altered

Edited by sunjumper at 12:38:17 04-11-2018
  • Your-Mother 1 Oct 2018 19:13:58 2,246 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I suppose I might as well sign up and then fail to write more than 200 words again.
  • wuntyphyve 1 Oct 2018 19:41:33 11,037 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm going to see if I can fail miserably for the 4th year running too.
  • sunjumper 2 Oct 2018 09:07:01 3,482 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Well, it is still better to try and fail than not to write anything.

I hope that I can finally break my miserable streak of the past years too though.
  • wuntyphyve 2 Oct 2018 09:12:51 11,037 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've been wanting to write something again for years, no matter how shite. I'm hoping I can at least do something. I have a horrible feeling I'll pike out again.
  • sunjumper 2 Oct 2018 11:36:30 3,482 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @wuntyphyve

Just sit down and write. Writing anything is better than writing nothing and doing it with others helps to keep the motivation going. I never get to write as much as I want but through the several incarnations of this thread I have written several hundreds of thousands of words. Not all of them horrible.

Let's fail together. Who knows how far we will come this year.
  • sunjumper 2 Oct 2018 11:36:31 3,482 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Post deleted
  • wuntyphyve 2 Oct 2018 11:46:16 11,037 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yes. Letís. Iím def going to give it a shot.
  • The12thMonkey 2 Oct 2018 13:56:28 540 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Alas, November is conspiring against me this year. I'm up to stag do fun and games at the start of the month, then the wedding itself (does writing my best man speech count for NaNo?) in the middle of the month.

All of which means I won't be able to do a full story, or anything close. I'd like to maybe have a shot at a short story, maybe related to my other writing projects, but I'll have to pass on the full effort, sadly.

Good luck, though, guys! I shall be reading and commenting where I can :D
  • sunjumper 2 Oct 2018 14:11:39 3,482 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @The12thMonkey
    You can always join us with a short story or two. As long as you are writing everybody wins, right?
  • rice_sandwich 2 Oct 2018 14:25:10 4,906 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I guess I might as well be in for my third failure in a row.
  • Salaman 2 Oct 2018 14:47:07 23,333 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Metaldog's yearly exit from Forum hibernation coming up? :-D
  • sunjumper 2 Oct 2018 15:11:50 3,482 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    Metaldog's yearly exit from Forum hibernation coming up? :-D
    Good point, I shall try to summon her from the depths of her temple.
  • BearFishPie 2 Oct 2018 15:26:46 631 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Iíll put myself aboard the failure train for another year. Choo choo!
  • rice_sandwich 12 Oct 2018 07:14:08 4,906 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I've started to think of some ideas so that I can hit the ground running this time.i still expect to run out of ideas at the 35k mark but we'll see. Ideas so far:

- One of the last speakers of an obscure dialect is employed to translate the recently discovered work of a famous writer. Probably a futuristic or sci-fi setting, set after a major environmental catastrophe.

- A monk travels the land to undertake a journey to sacred shrines and becomes mixed up in a plot. There might be a macguffin. Ancient eastern fantasy setting with ghosts, monsters, magic and the usual tropes.

- A government employee of a listening post in an obscure town of a dictatorial state starts to receive messages that he shouldn't.

- Or just several short stories 4 to 7k each to hit the 50k mark.
  • RawShark 12 Oct 2018 17:05:53 484 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yep, I'm in. I'll try to make it to a full page without turning into a blubbering drunken mess this year.
  • fontgeeksogood 12 Oct 2018 17:15:13 3,747 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Gremmi looked up from the website selling clothes for cats. "God dammit, none of these tuxedos come with cummerbunds" he spat. "Mr Whiskers will look like a cunt at his wedding now"

He looked forlornly at the 200 words he wrote last year. There's just never time, he thought
  • MetalDog 14 Oct 2018 01:57:07 24,076 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Salaman Apparently so.

I doubt I'll hit the word count with work as it is and I have no idea what I'm going to tackle, but nothing can be as shit as last year, so hello again, chaps.
  • sunjumper 15 Oct 2018 09:46:28 3,482 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    I've started to think of some ideas so that I can hit the ground running this time.i still expect to run out of ideas at the 35k mark but we'll see. Ideas so far:

- One of the last speakers of an obscure dialect is employed to translate the recently discovered work of a famous writer. Probably a futuristic or sci-fi setting, set after a major environmental catastrophe.

- A monk travels the land to undertake a journey to sacred shrines and becomes mixed up in a plot. There might be a macguffin. Ancient eastern fantasy setting with ghosts, monsters, magic and the usual tropes.

- A government employee of a listening post in an obscure town of a dictatorial state starts to receive messages that he shouldn't.

- Or just several short stories 4 to 7k each to hit the 50k mark.

All of those sound like great ideas. If you think that you don't have enough material for the full 50k you could try and see what happens when you combine your story ideas or just go for an anthology of short stories. 50k is 50k.
    And really, every single wirtten word is great.

@RawShark
    Welcome aboard. I'm looking forward to your blubbering.

@Fontgeeksogood
    200 words are still a lot better then zero. And you can always continue working on an old story that needs to go on or just try to write many little things instead of just one. Interesting fragments are worth more than blank pages.

@Metaldog
    You're back! That's very good to hear.Everything you have written so far I have loved, so I welcome everything you put to the page no matter how little it may be.
  • rice_sandwich 17 Oct 2018 08:23:13 4,906 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    As well as starting a new work I think I'm going to continue work on my two previous nanowrimo efforts and also resurrect a really old story that has been hanging around half finished for years. I should be able to hit at least 50k across all this.
  • wuntyphyve 17 Oct 2018 08:58:46 11,037 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm debating whether to try finish one of my two aborted attempts from 2013 and 2014 (I say aborted, I hit over the 50K, just didn't finish the damn novels) or try something new. I do feel as though I need to get these two finished but they both got so bloated and over complicated I'm not sure I could pick up whatever the narrative is meant to be. May be fun trying however.
  • BearFishPie 18 Oct 2018 17:22:19 631 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I suspect the benefits of getting an abandoned nearly-there project Ďdoneí will reduce the mental bandwidth itís been taking up. The couple of unfinished story projects Iíve been sitting on make it pretty difficult to focus on new ideas.
  • Carbon_Altered 25 Oct 2018 21:57:03 884 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Good luck all, and great to see you Metal Dog, I've missed your stuff. Although I still can't spell that dude's name who has led some of your work. Did you ever finish the one where he was doing some detective work in the stacks? Was a few years ago now, but stuck with me.
  • FogHeart 26 Oct 2018 12:08:35 1,259 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Should I be using this thread for the one I've picked up again from last year?
  • sunjumper 26 Oct 2018 13:24:56 3,482 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @FogHeart
    If you continue writing and this is your 2018 project I would post it here. Because this place is whre all the action happens.
    I posted my feedback in the old thread as that is the place where it was posted originally.
  • sunjumper 26 Oct 2018 13:26:24 3,482 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Carbon_Altered wrote:
    Good luck all, and great to see you Metal Dog, I've missed your stuff. Although I still can't spell that dude's name who has led some of your work. Did you ever finish the one where he was doing some detective work in the stacks? Was a few years ago now, but stuck with me.
    Oh no. I was looking forward to more from you, your work is always good. Is ther anyway to convince you otherwise? Bribes? Flattery? Threats?
  • RawShark 29 Oct 2018 16:50:24 484 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm signed up, got a working title for the project, so what comes next? Do you just write the damned thing?
  • wuntyphyve 29 Oct 2018 16:58:16 11,037 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Pretty much!

I've taken on faaaar too much shit in November as well as just stupidly buying RDR2. Be interesting to see how many words I actually manage. I really want to give it a proper shot this year though. Better stock up on coffee.
  • sunjumper 1 Nov 2018 00:00:07 3,482 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Ladies and gentlemen, the game is afoot.

Starting today the month of writing has come and we all will try to get 50,000 words on (virtual) paper be it on new stories, old stories that remain to be told or a collection of short stories to hone your writing skills.

Write, read, give feedback and above all else have fun!

I'm looking forward to once again lose myself in the worlds you all conjure.
  • rice_sandwich 1 Nov 2018 07:37:22 4,906 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Here we go again. I'll try and get started when I get back from work.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.