Switch clicks in the hands, but on paper, it's in trouble Page 3

• Mola_Ram 4 Oct 2018 14:09:13 20,128 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I don't think anyone mentioned that. Guilty conscience, much?
    Guilty... conscience? What are you on about?

I have issues with the thing, but the positives outweigh the negatives. Despite the flaws, I think it's a great system.

But for those who do nothing but go on and on about how terrible it all is... why do they still have one? Do they think that Nintendo is going to break tradition and and start churning out first-party games every month?

Surely money would be better spent on something they enjoy. Or is the moaning part of the experience?
  • Load_2.0 4 Oct 2018 14:11:42 29,338 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I don't think anyone thinks it's terrible. I often marvel at it's size. I have never been critical of it's performance or it's design.

It's just that if you ever dare to voice a criticism of Nintendo the NDF demand you sell it or shut up.
  • minky-kong 4 Oct 2018 14:18:52 14,242 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Reports of overpriced indie games on the Nintendo store have been greatly exaggerated.

*whispers* The best game of the year, Hollow Knight, is actually cheaper on the Switch than it is on the other consoles. And you can play it while having a shite.
  • richarddavies 4 Oct 2018 14:23:42 6,712 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    minky-kong wrote:
    Reports of overpriced indie games on the Nintendo store have been greatly exaggerated.

*whispers* The best game of the year, Hollow Knight, is actually cheaper on the Switch than it is on the other consoles. And you can play it while having a shite.
    It's not really though has it? There's quite literally hundreds of them. There's even loads of free to download mobile games that you have to buy on the switch. It's a bit dog shit.

To combat it though I just do this weird thing with my switch and only buy the games that I want to play.
  • Frogofdoom 4 Oct 2018 14:25:03 13,268 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They do get upset don't they. Almost everyone in the thread owns a switch but some get very precious about it!
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 4 Oct 2018 14:26:01 19,815 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hi guys, what's going on in her..

Oh. Oh god no.
  • Frogofdoom 4 Oct 2018 14:27:45 13,268 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm amazed king umpa lumpa hasn't shown up yet, he must be otherwise engaged.
  • monkman76 4 Oct 2018 14:28:14 14,724 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:

I have issues with the thing, but the positives outweigh the negatives. Despite the flaws, I think it's a great system.

But for those who do nothing but go on and on about how terrible it all is... why do they still have one? Do they think that Nintendo is going to break tradition and and start churning out first-party games every month?

Surely money would be better spent on something they enjoy. Or is the moaning part of the experience?
    I think nick was replying to user YYDeckard.
  • Mola_Ram 4 Oct 2018 14:30:30 20,128 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The reality is that the portability *is* a huge positive factor for people, including me. I have long work hours, and don't often feel like sitting in front of a PC after work to play (for example) Into the Breach. It being on Switch means that I can play it on the train, and that makes all the difference.

Yes, it's a port, it's a filthy indie game, it's not new, whatever. I can make time to play it now, as well as dozens of other games, and that alone makes the Switch worth it for me.

(despite the no-Bluetooth, the lame online offerings, the poor JoyCon build quality, no virtual console, and all the other examples of nintendo-being-nintendo that are annoying about it)
  • Mola_Ram 4 Oct 2018 14:31:22 20,128 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:

I think nick was replying to user YYDeckard.
    Ah, apologies then. It's hard to tell sometimes! :p
  • Zero_g 4 Oct 2018 14:32:34 312 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There are a lot of choices on the eshop now. True, many of them are bad choices and overpriced ports of older mobile phone games but there is no obligation to buy any of them.

I’ve had my switch since launch and given the shortage of the available games at launch (that I wanted to play) I’m happy that the situation has improved massively.

Yes, I would like a number of decent first party titles: e.g. Pokemon, Metroid Prime 4, Yoshi etc but I still haven’t completed the games for the system I have bought.

The switch has made a lot of smaller indie games, like stardew valley, steamworld dig and hollow knight available in a very convenient portable format as well as port of excellent games I’ve not previously played, e.g. doom.

The fact it can be played on the bog or when the OH is watching something I’m not keen on on the TV is the icing on the cake.

Do I care that it doesn’t have an internet browser, Netflix et al???
    No, I can access these from pretty much any device in the house with a screen.

In short I’m pretty happy with my purchase.

Today’s unconfirmed news of a hardware refresh next year is interesting though!
  • fontgeeksogood 4 Oct 2018 14:33:40 6,093 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The problem I still have with mine is the zero incentive to even plug the dock in.

So it will ALWAYS be a toy for train journeys / holidays. That's not a bad thing, just means it'll never be a 'main' gaming system for me, and hence the game most often it gets used for is Super Dust Collector
  • Load_2.0 4 Oct 2018 14:42:03 29,338 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I didn't buy a switch because it's portable. I could just buy some game handles/joycons attached them to the ipad or phone and play Indies.

I got it to play Nintendo games. New ones.
  • Load_2.0 4 Oct 2018 14:47:29 29,338 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I will add that if portability is the selling point over software it's doomed.

When kids can play Fortnite on an Iphone X why lug around a Switch?

It will be the Ipod of gaming.
  • Phattso 4 Oct 2018 14:56:41 24,671 posts
    Seen 54 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    While I'm of the same mind as you on the software front, Load, you're deliberately missing the point on the portability. That's a catchall phrase that includes: gaming on the shitter, gaming on the sofa, gaming in the garden, gaming in any room in the house in fact, gaming during a lunchbreak, on a flight, on a train... all with decent (ish) dedicated controls on a proper (ish) gaming console. No way I'm draining my mobile's battery or carrying a charger pack for the fucker just so I can game - that's madness.

It's not necessarily about Switch being ever-present like your phone, because only nutters/the most dedicated gamers are going to carry this fucker everywhere.
  • nickthegun 4 Oct 2018 14:59:04 77,858 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    I'm amazed king umpa lumpa hasn't shown up yet, he must be otherwise engaged.
    I think he's still talking aboot the braw fitba, och aye the noo, jings crivens and help ma boab.
  • Your-Mother 4 Oct 2018 15:03:50 2,770 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I had a switch and I did sell it because once I'd rinsed Zelda and Mario Odyssey there was nothing left for me.

Plus, go "it's choice, it's choice, it's choice" all you like, but re-releasing stuff like Season One of The Walking Dead for full price, a six-year-old game that Telltale (god rest their soul) have basically given away for free on all other platforms (I think I might have a version that runs on my fridge), should not taste good to anyone.
  • Phattso 4 Oct 2018 15:15:11 24,671 posts
    Seen 54 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The greatest signifier that publishers are cashing in on Switch Mania (tm) is shit like South Park: The Stick of Truth. That's a game that they were literally giving away with pre-orders of the sequel on other platforms. Given the reported performance issues, it's not like they can even claim to have spent a fortune on the port.

It's so blatantly taking the piss it actually wound me up. Well, got me as wound up as I'm capable of getting about game releases anyway. It's just grubby shit, and doesn't endear me to the platform.
  • Load_2.0 4 Oct 2018 15:27:45 29,338 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I think the portability thing is more appealing to the older crowd. We grew up having to LAN to shoot each other.

The days of kids going over to each others houses is numbered. It's instant messages, Face time and playing against each other online.

Leaving the house is old school.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 4 Oct 2018 15:30:56 19,815 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I feel like a list would help at this point. Does anyone have a list?
  • Load_2.0 4 Oct 2018 15:37:37 29,338 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    How about a list of big brand games that will help sell the console in the run up to Christmas.

I'll start!

Why there is Pokemon and...

Oh.
  • Frogofdoom 4 Oct 2018 15:44:12 13,268 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pokémon will shift a shitload of copies though as will smash.
  • Innuendobot_5000 4 Oct 2018 15:58:49 222 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    I don't think anyone thinks it's terrible. I often marvel at it's size. I have never been critical of it's performance or it's design.
    SPEAK. FOR. YOURSELF.
  • Deleted user 4 October 2018 16:11:15
    Biggest issue for me is the wank non existent messaging and the eshop itself looks like it was built in half an hour. It's the worst digital store I've ever witnessed. It makes me feel physically sick. Fuck you nintendo.
  • arty 4 Oct 2018 16:15:09 551 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ours just gathers dust.
  • DJCopa 4 Oct 2018 16:32:58 1,927 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just to add to the hoo-ha:

I love the Switch BUT I only play a couple of games and the general selection is piss poor and expensive.

The eShop, as has been mentioned above, is almost unusable. I've never come across a company who are literally trying to stop you finding/buying stuff from their shop.
  • nickthegun 4 Oct 2018 16:44:04 77,858 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    Pokémon will shift a shitload of copies though as will smash.
    It will, but it's still just a remake of a 20 year old game with Pokémon Go shoved up it's butthole.
  • Cappy 4 Oct 2018 16:59:37 14,082 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Could anybody really even attempt to feign surprise?

Walk into any shop and look at what's available for the switch, look at the used section, take it all in. Nobody is buying much, when people don't buy, non-incentivised third party developers say bye bye, eventually buyers follow them unless they're that small but extremely pungent audience that are only interested in Nintendo games.

More interesting is how the Switch spent so long being portrayed as a comeback success story. Another strike on the gaming media, selling better than the Wii U was all it took... But there was no interest in examining what a low bar that actually was.
  • Armoured_Bear 4 Oct 2018 17:30:39 26,739 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    The problem I still have with mine is the zero incentive to even plug the dock in.

So it will ALWAYS be a toy for train journeys / holidays. That's not a bad thing, just means it'll never be a 'main' gaming system for me, and hence the game most often it gets used for is Super Dust Collector
    why not?
    It’s the opposite for me
  • jimnastics 4 Oct 2018 17:43:29 1,603 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    Could anybody really even attempt to feign surprise?

Walk into any shop and look at what's available for the switch, look at the used section, take it all in. Nobody is buying much, when people don't buy, non-incentivised third party developers say bye bye, eventually buyers follow them unless they're that small but extremely pungent audience that are only interested in Nintendo games.

More interesting is how the Switch spent so long being portrayed as a comeback success story. Another strike on the gaming media, selling better than the Wii U was all it took... But there was no interest in examining what a low bar that actually was.
    Hahaha holy shit :D

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.