The Mandalorian (Live action Star Wars TV series) Page 17

• Zerobob 22 Nov 2020 12:33:25 2,656 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Devilligan wrote:
    mothercruncher wrote:
    Just some stuff that isnít lyke toatally hench if youíre 13 would be nice.
    It's Star Wars. It's meant for kids.
    Are you sure? I think it's for kids and adults alike.

The "it's for kids" argument comes from the same school of thought as "it's just a film" or "it's just a game", despite these being multi-billion dollar industries that provide a necessary escape for millions of people, and something people love talking about.

Anyway, The Mandalorian. I'm not exactly on-board with the second series so far. The latest episode, for example, was resolved purely through the use of plot armour, rather than a clever plan, or through anything that the characters learn.

The stories are becoming very two-dimensional, which I suppose they have to be to fit the 30 runtime, which is another issue.
  • kentmonkey 22 Nov 2020 13:40:03 23,942 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Are we assuming MMA lady is becoming a Jedi then? Or someone else?
  • Devilligan 22 Nov 2020 14:16:17 649 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Zerobob

Yeah no, Star Wars is meant for kids.

You know, fairy stories about space wizards fighting the forces of evil. Nothing wrong with adults liking it too. I like it. But I don't need it to be more complex to enjoy it. It's a blast of fun, big budget space adventure every week. Nothing wrong with that.

If you want it to be more Battlestar Galactica, go watch Battlestar Galactica.
  • Not-a-reviewer 22 Nov 2020 14:41:52 6,642 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cos being about space robots makes it for adults?

Itís family entertainment, suitable for kids and grown ups like most mass market entertainment is.
  • oldschoolsoviet 22 Nov 2020 18:40:12 6,873 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Are we assuming MMA lady is becoming a Jedi then? Or someone else?
    Nope. The cloaked lady (!) should be showing up next week.....
  • KD 22 Nov 2020 18:44:41 3,085 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Cloaked lady was WWE lady? I dont think next weeks has actually show up apart from being spoken about.
  • oldschoolsoviet 22 Nov 2020 18:56:11 6,873 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yep, I'm way off. Sasha Banks, one of the Mandalorians, when I thought it was something else.

Wasted joke too. They've name dropped Asohka, and someone was cast is all I can recall, sending the Clone Wars fans into a frenzy. Rosario Dawson after a search.
  • Nexus_6 22 Nov 2020 23:25:25 5,480 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    barchetta wrote:
    @stephenb I had that too and was always looking out for it in the films .. yelped a little when I saw it in Mando.

Was called Death Star Troop Transport iirc.

Edit: correction - Imperial Troop Transport and ebay prices make me sad. Sold so much of my stuff for a C64!
    Wow yeah thatís a lot of money. It was a cool little vehicle right enough. A bit odd though having a car where the guys have to kind of hang out over the sides like human saddle bags.
    Liked it in the show though.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 23 Nov 2020 08:55:30 15,395 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That was a fun episode. It reminded me of playing Dark Forces.
  • Load_2.0 23 Nov 2020 14:41:13 32,306 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    There's a lot I like about this show, the production quality, the casting, the characters and I think they've captured the magic of the original universe.

I am little less fond of the A Team plots and shoot outs. At this point Storm Troopers have been demoted from bumbling incompetents to paper targets. They don't offer any threat other than trip hazards as corpses.

It's fun but if they plan to have too many episodes like #4 it will miss be a missed opportunity.
  • wuntyate 23 Nov 2020 15:18:28 16,022 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah if there's one thing that starts to irk me about SW and all its spin offs is how little threat stormtroopers pose. Can't see why they can't just add more nameless good guys to firefights so they can be picked off.
  • Zerobob 23 Nov 2020 15:19:58 2,656 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Load_2.0 I agree. Antagonists need to be menacing to create tension and raise the stakes. Also, given the Mandalorian armour deflects most laser blasts, I'm left wondering where the tension is.

The final battle scene in the latest episode demonstrates this perfectly. Mando didn't do a special piloting manoeuvre that he'd learned, in order to out-fly the Tie Fighters in any way. The whole sequence relied on the Tie Fighters continually missing, and Mando simply gunning them all down. I'm also fairly sure the plan wasn't to let Mando escape on purpose with the tracking device.

To be totally fair, I suppose the Storm Troopers were never really effective in the original films, but you at least got the impression the Rebels were a little out of their depth, and flying by the seat of their pants at all times. In Empire Strikes Back, the Empire was strong enough and intimidating enough to orchestrate the capture of Solo and the Rebels, which at least meant the Rebels weren't infallible. In contrast, I'm left in no doubt Mando will always save the day every episode.

Edited by Zerobob at 15:22:41 23-11-2020
  • Razz 23 Nov 2020 15:24:33 787 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I wish they would just come up with a McGuffin to in-canon explain it, like if the rebels had a jammer that scrambled whatever TacNet system the stormtroopers use in their helmets, i.e. it offsets the targeting system by random degrees or something. But no, it's just a kids show.

Edited by Razz at 16:18:04 23-11-2020
  • anephric 23 Nov 2020 15:36:58 4,569 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    They don't mind showing deaths though. Absolutely, there just needs to be a few rebel red shirts in there so that there's some sort of sense of threat from the Empire, however disarrayed they are and mostly the dregs.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 23 Nov 2020 15:41:20 15,395 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I suppose the excuse the Mando-verse would be that this lot are a left bunch on the fringe of the Outer Rim. The best Imperial troopers and pilots would have been fighting the rebellion and the post-Endor uprisings in the core systems.

Also, if any are new recruits taken on since ROTJ then they wouldnít have had the benefit of a full Imperial bootcamp.

I mean its a reach but it is a spin off from a kids film about space wizards.
  • anephric 23 Nov 2020 15:45:13 4,569 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think they've already established they're dreg troopers in the outer rim. Which is why Moff Gus and his ninja troopers were devastating.
  • wuntyate 23 Nov 2020 15:52:43 16,022 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Plus what's the point of the Stormtroopers wearing armour. I mean... It's not very good is it.
  • IronGiant 23 Nov 2020 16:20:35 6,196 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Carl Weathers directed that episode.. go Apollo!

Still enjoying it whether its meant for kids or not, couldn't care less :)

Enjoyed the Tie Fighters, especially the viewpoints they use, further out instead of always being close ups. The lasers really pop in HDR.
  • Load_2.0 23 Nov 2020 16:49:13 32,306 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    Plus what's the point of the Stormtroopers wearing armour. I mean... It's not very good is it.
    It doesn't stop anything. Blasters, knives, rocks, fists, ewoks with tree branches.
  • Tuffty 23 Nov 2020 19:44:49 4,713 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Think you need to have your jobber enemies for your cool protaganists to style on so that you can sell merchandise. Its why Baby Yoda exists, to give him a weakness (and more opportunities to sell merch). Hopefully these new troopers are more of a threat.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 23 Nov 2020 21:49:21 15,395 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Lets face if it wasnít for the basic troopers we also wouldnít have the coolest things in science fiction - stormtrooper variants!
  • askew 23 Nov 2020 22:07:40 22,180 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Scout trooper > *
  • oldschoolsoviet 23 Nov 2020 23:16:03 6,873 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    askew wrote:
    Scout trooper > *
    They hit stuff rather than being hit by stuff.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 24 Nov 2020 08:33:35 15,395 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    askew wrote:
    Scout trooper > *
    Absolutely
  • Nexus_6 24 Nov 2020 09:56:26 5,480 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I don't disagree with the Scout Trooper love at all.
    I do, however, think that the Tank Trooper and Shore Trooper from Rogue One are absolutely gorgeous too.
    Of course, they are all variants of the daddy Scout.
  • AcidSnake 24 Nov 2020 10:20:19 8,390 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    So what happened to Mandos disintegration rifle? Did he lose it in the first season?

I feel a trilogy coming up explaining where he got the rifle...
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 24 Nov 2020 11:19:07 15,395 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Nexus_6 wrote:
    I don't disagree with the Scout Trooper love at all.
    I do, however, think that the Tank Trooper and Shore Trooper from Rogue One are absolutely gorgeous too.
    Of course, they are all variants of the daddy Scout.
    I quite liked seeing the conscripted grunt soldiers in whichever one of the new movies it was that they were in. Showed that the Stormtroopers are supposed to be something distinct.
  • Nexus_6 24 Nov 2020 12:11:41 5,480 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Solo had the Mud Trooper during the battle when Han meets Woody H - those ones?
  • BOFH_UK 24 Nov 2020 14:55:06 255 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    I wish they would just come up with a McGuffin to in-canon explain it, like if the rebels had a jammer that scrambled whatever TacNet system the stormtroopers use in their helmets, i.e. it offsets the targeting system by random degrees or something. But no, it's just a kids show.
    Umm, they did touch on this in Rebels. Spoilers ahead, obviously! Old Clone Rex has to infiltrate an imp ship in Storm Trooper armour and finds himself struggling to aim. Turns out it's the helmet itself that's the problem and as soon as he rips it off he's back to being a deadeye. Which coming from a military that has a serious aversion to handrails and thinks nothing of building command walkways over five foot drops into crew pits... sounds about right really. Though I suspect that's more just a cute bit of retconning to explain the problem and pull from 'I can't see a thing in this helmet' from ANH while throwing in a decent gag.
  • Nexus_6 27 Nov 2020 08:08:23 5,480 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The Mandalorian and the Child continue their journey through a dangerous galaxy
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.