The Official EG Secret Santa, 2018 Edition Page 8

• Salaman 2 Jan 2019 10:25:10 23,686 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The postie tried to deliver a package from the UK for me on the 31st, while we were away for NY.

I'm waiting on my Binding of Isaac 4 souls game that I backed on Kickstarter to arrive, so it's either that or my EG Secret Santa. I'm happy either way.
  • robthehermit 2 Jan 2019 14:13:47 7,426 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @kentmonkey o/

Went a bit over budget, but Mrs Hermit said it was okay as Santa said you were a good boy in 2018 and helped raise a load of money in the charity thread.
  • kentmonkey 2 Jan 2019 16:17:11 23,110 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @robthehermit Aw, thanks to both you and Mrs Hermit!

I am really chuffed, setting it up over the next couple of days and ordering a USB controller to go with it that my little boy can hold (he struggles with a XBOX/PS4 type controller due to his small hands). Then we'll spend some time together reliving my childhood! :o)

He loves Sonic, and he's pretty good at it on the original Megadrive I have still rigged up, but the megadrive freezes after about 15 mins use, so he never gets long.

Really appreciate it, very thoughtful, and it made my Christmas (genuinely!) :o)
  • robthehermit 2 Jan 2019 17:43:30 7,426 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    You're more than welcome, I hope you have a lot fun with it.
  • ibenam 2 Jan 2019 23:20:00 3,228 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    drhcnip wrote:
    well, i'll kick the opening off then, shall i?

whoever you are, my dear little eg elf, that was an excellently judicious use of stalking! a copy of my much sought-after dragon quest 11 that i'd postponed until the sales as i couldn't source a copy...thank you very much for the game and for the lovely message in the card- it has indeed been a tough old year but onwards and upwards (hopefully...;) )

thanks again, santa, and merry chrimbo to one and all....and thanks for organising again, santa boo (and edna, of course!)
    O/ hope you enjoy the game, saw that you were after it and thought what the heck :D
  • drhcnip 2 Jan 2019 23:25:19 6,340 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @ibenam

well thank you kindly, sir - cheered me up indeed! i appreciated the card as well
  • Salaman 3 Jan 2019 15:19:42 23,686 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yesterday was indeed my Binding of Isaac game.
    Just went to get today's mail.
    A package and card from my EG Secret Santa!
    \0/
  • Salaman 3 Jan 2019 15:21:16 23,686 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Correction. I opened the card first. It's from UK friends.
  • JamboWayOh 3 Jan 2019 15:22:18 14,771 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Are we outing ourselves now for Secret Santa?
  • Salaman 3 Jan 2019 15:23:01 23,686 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Haha, thank you Santa!
    Space invaders cuff links & wallet and a very festive card.
  • garsync 15 Jan 2019 17:27:57 167 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So I guess I should give up on expecting a pressie now :(

Edna, did you hear anything from the sender?

Don't want to be an arse about it but would be nice to know what happened

Edited by garsync at 17:33:00 15-01-2019
  • JamboWayOh 15 Jan 2019 18:38:48 14,771 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wtf?! Has someone got a present and reneged on their present duty? Surely there must have been a problem?
  • garsync 15 Jan 2019 20:23:37 167 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It does seem that way, I would assume there was an issue too, but not had any comms to confirm either way.
  • drhcnip 15 Jan 2019 20:25:24 6,340 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    bugger, that's not good to hear....knew this year had gone too smoothly...;)

hope things get sorted out
  • drhcnip 15 Jan 2019 20:34:21 6,340 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    surprised there's been no comms over it - only one name i don't think i recognise on the list...
  • garsync 15 Jan 2019 21:16:37 167 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Written by boo on Dec 24th 2018, 10:56pm

Dear Mr Ync,

Unfortunately we are unable to contact your gifterizer at this time, but we will keep trying.
    At present we have to assume that you do not have a gift in transit. However, your gifterizer has a good track record for reliability, and so we feel confident that you will receive - albeit a little late - a Christmas gift.

We shall keep you updated, and apologise for this unfortunate situation.

Yours,

James Hegarty
    Customer Relations
    XmasGen
  • garsync 15 Jan 2019 21:19:58 167 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Greatful to Boo for the late night Christmas Eve message :) So there was one further message post Christmas from Customer Relations, with a very similar message. So the giftee seems to have gone silent.
  • Frogofdoom 15 Jan 2019 21:41:29 13,982 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Absolute bullshit, secret santa has always been decent round here.

Boo hasn't been round as much recently and for bloody good reason if you knew anything about his last year or so. Pretty sure he will be in touch again as well.
  • garsync 15 Jan 2019 21:46:22 167 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FredClintstone wrote:
    That's what they do when they had/have no intention of sending you a gift, knowing that you are either new to the forum or not popular enough, that no one will give a shit anyway.

Merry Christmas, welcome to Eurogamer.
    Thanks! Been around for 10 years so that means...😁

My third year of doing this, don't think it has happened before has it?
  • garsync 15 Jan 2019 21:46:23 167 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FredClintstone wrote:
    That's what they do when they had/have no intention of sending you a gift, knowing that you are either new to the forum or not popular enough, that no one will give a shit anyway.

Merry Christmas, welcome to Eurogamer.
    Thanks! Been around for 10 years so that means...😁

My third year of doing this, don't think it has happened before has it?
  • fontgeeksogood 15 Jan 2019 21:49:37 6,779 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I sense Fred isn't actually being the altruistic hero for your thoughts and feelings here syncy
  • Deleted user 15 January 2019 21:51:37
    Sorry it was me. I did buy you some mustard but I liberally used it all on myself.
  • garsync 15 Jan 2019 21:57:12 167 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:

Boo hasn't been round as much recently and for bloody good reason if you knew anything about his last year or so. Pretty sure he will be in touch again as well.
    Yeah I got a hint of this from other posts, he does an amazing job it for the fun of it, so nothing needed urgently.

I am not bothered about getting a gift now and I would do this again, but I just would like to know if someone is gaming the system or has a genuine issue. If it is the latter they got a free gift this year and probably needed it and that is fine by me and in the Christmas spirit after all. The former and Boo will no doubt initiate and exclusion program to protect future rounds.
  • garsync 15 Jan 2019 21:57:54 167 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    AddyJB wrote:
    Sorry it was me. I did buy you some mustard but I liberally used it all on myself.
    I hope you can at least PM me some pictures? You do mean On yourself right?

Edited by garsync at 21:58:46 15-01-2019
  • MadCaddy13 15 Jan 2019 21:58:54 3,037 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sod that, if someone screwed you over a pressie put the hammer down on them
  • Frogofdoom 15 Jan 2019 22:34:38 13,982 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah indeed, they should get named and shamed if it ends up being a no gift situation. Just give boo a while before we light the torches and form a lynch mob.

Fred is just shit stirring tbh.
  • garsync 26 Mar 2019 11:35:52 167 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just seen that the option to PM has now been removed from the forum. Not sure how we can organise the SS in 2019 without that?

As for my 2018 gift... I was sharing some messages with Boo a while back in Feb. I don't know who the sender would have been, but they stopped communicating with him, but had been reliable in the past. This year, they didn't send a gift and haven't communicated as to why they couldn't do it.

I am happy to write it off any one of those things, it was just for fun and always carried a risk of someone cheating the system or things getting lost in the post. Without any comms I can only assume the former.

I just hope if Boo does run it again this year, that they won't allow that person to take part. Boo was great and offered to send me something, but he really doesn't need to do that. I probably now won't take part again again this has been left hanging for so long without me really knowing what happened. Just thought the group would like to know the situation.

It will probably need to be a Facebook group now the pm function is gone, so not sure it would be the same anyway :(
  • JamboWayOh 26 Mar 2019 11:43:58 14,771 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Even though you say it's a bit of fun, it's pretty bad that this person couldn't even have the decency to just say they couldn't do it, people would've understood.
  • drhcnip 26 Mar 2019 13:25:56 6,340 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    elfster works well over on avf- that would be my first first suggestion -i'll miss edna's pms, though...:(

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.