Dungeons & Dragons

First Previous
  • Dirtbox 7 Oct 2018 11:40:44 91,020 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Totally nearly titled this thread Dungeons % Dragins. I'm laughingly putting this shartchasm thread into social too. Have at it.

So who else plays this ludicrous bollocks? I've never been all that enamoured with the general appeal, I hate the entire Tolkien aesthetic, but once it gets rolling (PUNCUNTS) with a decent crew of minmaxing socially innept twarts it's at least marginally tolerable.

Nerd rocks are a wonderful part of this shit, I'm well into all that bananas, son. Mine are black and larger than your usual Chessex crap. I have like 3 D20s in my set. But we'll talk die later maywho. This is about me. You can chime in later. As can the sides of my die.

My character is a bard, he's shit. I wish I had put a little thought into this prior to playing really, but I decided to be a halfling alcoholic food critic called Bud the Wiser, and rather than singing gay songs to heal the party, he reads his most upvoted yelp reviews of dishes and gloyholes from roadside inns and taverns. It's not ideal, but at least it makes me marginally useful to my party of seasoned veterans. Put it this way; I have more inspiration points than XP.

So who else is into this satanic shit?
  • Dirtbox 7 Oct 2018 11:45:01 91,020 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    There's totally another thread for this shite isn't there? Go on then, link it you pointless fuck.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 7 Oct 2018 12:16:05 8,449 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What is happening
  • JamboWayOh 7 Oct 2018 12:23:22 11,846 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Live forum mental breakdown. Haven't had one of those in a while.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 7 Oct 2018 12:24:56 587 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    List of EG Forumites voted least likely to start a thread about Dungeons and Dragons...

1. Dirtbox
    2. Load$
    3. PES
  • richarddavies 7 Oct 2018 12:26:42 6,608 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    What is happening
    Dirtbox got pissed and then started talking about D&D. As you do.
  • neilka 7 Oct 2018 12:32:10 22,466 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
  • mothercruncher 7 Oct 2018 12:49:11 15,937 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dirtbox yesterday.
  • mrharvest 7 Oct 2018 12:51:08 5,586 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    AD&D > D&D
  • GuybrushFreepwood 7 Oct 2018 13:07:46 587 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Pathfinder > AD&D > D&D

...so I heard...
  • Reacher 7 Oct 2018 13:48:12 2,801 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've always wanted to play D&D and I have a few mates that do, but I always find myself more drawn to video game rpgs as I can see it and with D&D I really lack the imagination and self confidence to play it.
  • fontgeeksogood 7 Oct 2018 14:47:17 5,007 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    By his own rules, I think we have to drown Dirtbox in a bucket now
  • onestepfromlost 7 Oct 2018 15:56:12 2,719 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    GuybrushFreepwood wrote:
    Pathfinder > AD&D > D&D

...so I heard...
    Opinions may vary, but yes
  • Dirtbox 8 Oct 2018 01:54:22 91,020 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Reacher wrote:
    I've always wanted to play D&D and I have a few mates that do, but I always find myself more drawn to video game rpgs as I can see it and with D&D I really lack the imagination and self confidence to play it.
    I don't think self confidence is high on the list of minimum requirements. Low self awareness perhaps.
  • prettyvacant 8 Oct 2018 02:49:31 197 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The mist clears

Edited by prettyvacant at 02:50:58 08-10-2018
  • GuybrushFreepwood 8 Oct 2018 07:19:50 587 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    prettyvacant wrote:
    The mist clears
    /fails saving throw versus Tasha's Hideous Laughter
  • fontgeeksogood 8 Oct 2018 08:13:36 5,007 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    User Dirtbox takes off his wizard cloak and hat
  • whatfruitlivesagain 8 Oct 2018 09:40:23 1,608 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    There was a thread started by Alastair a while ago sharing the glory of D &D with his sons if I remember.

Iím into RPGs have played D&D a bit but have succumbed to modern and OSR games in the last year. However considering 90% of the market is D&D and pathfinder it can be difficult finding people to play with.

I recently played Tavern Tales. I played a Gingerbread man Paladin names Brian of Bakewell on a quest to liberate his adoptive family from the clutches of the Crab People. At the last session we escaped from the city of lawyers after fighting an enraged armadillo causing wanton property damage and mayhem.
  • Alastair 8 Oct 2018 11:27:02 23,245 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    /casts Silence at Dirtbox

Yeah, I've been playing D&D for years. 5e is great.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 8 Oct 2018 13:19:35 32,218 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've always wanted to try an RPG, so I bought a whole bunch of Star Trek Adventures stuff and we did all the character creation and general set-up stuff last week. Was a lot more fun than I thought it'd be to be honest, as I largely seemed to know enough to answer things as they came up. Rulebook is a disorganised mess though, but I did enough preparatory work to smooth most things down :)

It helps that it's a universe I'm familiar with, as are most of the players, and the ones that aren't have in-game story reasons it'd actually make sense for them to not know all the stuff. No idea if I'll actually be a good GM, but I know most of the rules and the tutorial mission is railroady enough that they shouldn't go too off track. That said, the medic/science officer has decent enough stats they could potentially solve what is supposed to be a hefty obstacle with a couple of decent die rolls. If they do, Q will appear and make them re-roll until he fails, because that'll be great fun for the players! I won't really, obviously. I'm definitely planning ahead just in case they roll well though. Nothing punitive of course, probably a bonus or easter egg.

Once thing I especially enjoyed was one player choosing from one of the more obscure races. There aren't pictures of those ones in the book itself, but the stats can be pretty good. The stats and flavour text made him sound like a huge, terrifying warrior that could stare down the most aggressive foe. The reality is once I googled him later, he's this guy.
  • Rivuzu 8 Oct 2018 16:34:39 17,875 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've had to pull away from D&D for a time because of work and things, but it's honest to god some of the most fun you can have with a group. Even if they're not into the fantasy setting, it's a game people can just get involved in, throw dice, and watch as stupid shit happens in their imagination.

Edited by Rivuzu at 16:34:52 08-10-2018
  • Dirtbox 8 Oct 2018 16:51:29 91,020 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    GuybrushFreepwood wrote:
    prettyvacant wrote:
    The mist clears
    /fails saving throw versus Tasha's Hideous Laughter
    Imagine my disdain on finding out that whatever you're casting that at has to have over a certain amount of intelligence. Ruined a perfectly good sexy setup with a bee and some Kobol hookers caught in a spider web that I'd been finessing into place for hours.

Edited by Dirtbox at 16:52:00 08-10-2018
  • Rivuzu 8 Oct 2018 16:58:54 17,875 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nah. Houserule it. Rule of Cool > Rules as written.

Yes, I will allow you to make an animated broom laugh itself to death.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 8 Oct 2018 19:39:16 587 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    I used to be really into D&D (bought the basic and expert sets when they came out without knowing what they were). My mum made me throw it all out eventually due to that whole "demonic" tripe that was in the media.

Bought it all again when I left home, but thinking about it, I think the last time I played was probably 1996. That's not stopped me collecting now and then and hoping though. Bought pathfinder recently and also Mice and Mystics for the kids. One day maybe, but for now, it's mostly stored in the attic.
  • Dirtbox 9 Oct 2018 03:40:25 91,020 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Plum around your friends, see if anyone's in the market for a sesh of a sunday. You sound like you could DM without much trouble.
  • Rivuzu 9 Oct 2018 07:57:02 17,875 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Also worth checking out the forums on roll20.net to see if people have any online games going.

This reminds me I need to finish my cyberpunk 2020 scenario for my local group.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 9 Oct 2018 09:42:07 587 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    I mostly DM'd, so I can do that no problem (aside from needing to remember the rules!). I've a stack of stuff in the attic, but due to moving house a lot recently, I've no nearby friends (aww...). Looking at the local clubs they all seem to be card game or miniature focused. Maybe roll20 will be with a look...then just need the time :)
  • Alastair 9 Oct 2018 10:07:32 23,245 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    You could try suggesting a taster game of DnD with one of those clubs - you might get some takers. And it would take long for you to find some kind of easy intro module online to run them through.
    I used to play boardgames with a group at work. One other guy was an old skool D&Der and we tried it with the rest of them. They couldn't get their heads around the level of freedom in the game. They wanted something with very strictly defined rules like in a board game.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 9 Oct 2018 10:18:38 587 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Thanks. I've modules in the attic, plus I've got Boot Hill, lasersquad, paranoia, judge dread, ghost busters, tunnels and trolls, merp, role master, traveller and whatever else is up there, so plenty of choice.

I'll have a think about it. It's more about having the spare time these days. Used to have fun with a few beers though back in the day.
  • Rivuzu 9 Oct 2018 11:05:01 17,875 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    They couldn't get their heads around the level of freedom in the game. They wanted something with very strictly defined rules like in a board game.
    Throw them the Into the Abyss campaign. They'll be begging for freedom before too long!
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.