Following New Apple Stuff Page 5

• THFourteen 19 Sep 2019 11:52:44 53,839 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Derblington wrote:Thinking of grabbing the 11 inch gen 3.
    It's great - I use mine every day for notes at work to reading/surfing/media consumption.

Only thing is, as great as it is, I could probably have gotten away with the non-pro version given what I use it for.
  • Dougs 19 Sep 2019 11:57:44 95,479 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @nickthegun Good stuff. Dreading having to get the eldest a phone. a) he'll never be off it and b) he can't remember to bring anything home from school so will likely lose anything very quickly. Cheapo dumb phone initially imo
  • elstoof 19 Sep 2019 12:01:32 25,989 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    What age do kids typically get phones then? My 6 year old has been asking when she’ll have one already. Her mum wants to go the dumb-phone route, but my concern is that if all her friends have smartphones and WhatsApp group chats etc then she’ll end up feeling left out with some piece of shit text only deal
  • JamboWayOh 19 Sep 2019 12:09:34 20,750 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A lot of the kids I teach seem to have smartphones around 10/11. Younger kids have the dumb phones as it were. 6 is waaaaay too young.
  • Vortex808 19 Sep 2019 12:19:20 14,021 posts
    Seen 53 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It was 10ish for us, to allow him to roam further afield with his mates.

Started him with a shitty nokia old brick style to start with to get him used to remembering it (it was left in a park after playing football once!), then a hand me down iPhone5 from the missus, he's now on a second hand 6 after that died- battery issues and cheapo replacement battery from the phone shop didn't help much.
  • yegon 19 Sep 2019 12:22:29 6,511 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @THFourteen

Hmm, dunno, doubt it.

Can you not use nPlayer? Plays everything, PIP, all features supported, keyboard shortcuts etc. I use a combo of that and Infuse.

nPlayer is old school, folders, visible file system. Ideal for random collection of vids.

Infuse is more polished, UI is great for full seasons/films that are properly tagged.

Edited by yegon at 12:24:40 19-09-2019
  • Dougs 19 Sep 2019 12:27:54 95,479 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Yeah, year 6 seems to be when most get them, some in year 5. It is a minefield though, a friend's son got a hand me down in year 5 and the WhatsApp nonsense caused loads of problems. Better left as late as possible imo
  • Not-a-reviewer 19 Sep 2019 12:37:28 6,461 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mine aren’t getting one until that is actually a problem and would make them social outcasts. Even then the recommendation seems to be strict rules until they prove they can be trusted, e.g. they have to be willing to let you see what they’re doing on it.

They need to be able to justify why they want one. Because everyone else has one isn’t a good reason, they need to say what they’re going to do with it.

Be willing to take it off them for several months if they break rules.
  • JamboWayOh 19 Sep 2019 12:44:38 20,750 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Yeah, year 6 seems to be when most get them, some in year 5. It is a minefield though, a friend's son got a hand me down in year 5 and the WhatsApp nonsense caused loads of problems. Better left as late as possible imo
    Yeah kids with WhatsApp just sounds like a a disaster and a contributor to bullying.
  • Dougs 19 Sep 2019 12:49:39 95,479 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Loads of that, with some kids excluded and hounded etc. Mental, they're 10 and 11 ffs
  • yegon 19 Sep 2019 12:55:10 6,511 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I’m soooo glad all that crap wasn’t around when I was a kid. I was a swot academically, but miserable as sin IN secondary school, it was like Lord of the Flies - I wasn’t quite Piggy, but I had to be on my toes. Had a great childhood otherwise, away from it with family and mates.

WhatsApp etc would horribly pollute the time away from school, Christ. I translate that to adult life too, I’m deliberately not in any work related chats, you’re never away, and I quit face bag in about 2010!

Edited by yegon at 12:55:39 19-09-2019
  • erniewhatbert 19 Sep 2019 12:57:08 3,078 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    yegon wrote:
    I’m soooo glad all that crap wasn’t around when I was a kid. I was a swot academically, but miserable as sin IN secondary school, it was like Lord of the Flies - I wasn’t quite Piggy, but I had to be on my toes. Had a great childhood otherwise, away from it with family and mates.
    Gives me the fear for having kids tbh, which is what my wife and I are planning at the moment.
  • yegon 19 Sep 2019 13:04:50 6,511 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @erniewhatbert

I would hope good parenting and monitoring will help to alleviate it.

My brother has recently given his 11 year old an old iPhone 4. He’s limiting her use and keeping a close eye on the situation.

It helps that he’s got nerd like tendencies (like me). He can lock down the phone with restrictions blah blah and is acutely aware of the perils of social media. I fear for the kids of uncaring parents, or those who are clueless.

80s/90s generation kids amongst us taught our parents how to use computers, they wouldn’t have had a clue, ha.
  • elstoof 19 Sep 2019 13:05:31 25,989 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Don’t worry, it’ll all be very different in 10-12 years time when you have to worry about that
  • JamboWayOh 19 Sep 2019 13:11:37 20,750 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Loads of that, with some kids excluded and hounded etc. Mental, they're 10 and 11 ffs
    I've come across some right horrible children and I don't mean they're going through a phase but that they're character is ugly to the core, of course when you meet their parents it explains it all. We just confiscate phones on sight and hand them back at the end of the week.
  • nickthegun 19 Sep 2019 13:14:23 82,982 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    We gave her my old iPhone for Christmas in year six, mainly for big girl training and teaching her it isn't a big deal to have a phone.

We figured it was a good time as she was starting to want to play out more and go places with friends and whatnot, so it was a safeguarding thing as much as anything else as a 'we got to the park ok' text is nicely reassuring.

The parental controls on the iPhone are great and really granular, so I would definitely suggest one as the first phone.

We also made it clear that it's our phone and she's just borrowing it, so spot checks would happen. She's been spotless but that is how a boy in her class lost his phone after the wife found a voice message he posted into a WhatsApp group of him screaming 'IIIVE GOOOT A BIIIIIG PEEEEENIIIIISSSS' and grassed him to his parents.

So, yeah, it's fine. It gives reassurance but you also have to give a fuck and actually do some parenting.

Edited by nickthegun at 13:15:48 19-09-2019
  • nickthegun 19 Sep 2019 13:19:40 82,982 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Speaking of giving a fuck, we did have a minor incident last week. Some girls in her class were doing TikTok videos and giving the girl a minor hard time about not having it on her phone and not wanting to be in the videos.

We don't let her do that as TikTok is a nonces paradise, which we have explained at some length, which my daughter then recounted to her classmates.
  • Dougs 19 Sep 2019 13:34:33 95,479 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Yeah, rule No1 is to actually give a shit and do some parenting. Apparently, according to my son's friends I'm "well strict" as I don't let him play games during the week and YT is limited, and his pad is well locked down. Sounds harsh but his behaviour suffers and he's a classic give an inch and he'll take a mile. If I let him, he'd play games all day every day but without controls he's a nightmare.
  • THFourteen 19 Sep 2019 13:36:56 53,839 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Its a funny old thing isn't it. I let mine play video games because i play a lot of video games myself so it would seem hypocritical to do otherwise, but also i know what the benefits are and what type of games are worthwhile and what games are fortnite. I also don't want it to become some sort of lusted after taboo thing.

But my eldest (5)'s best mate's dad looked at me funny when i told him that, "no no alex isn't allowed any of that sort of thing we would never get him off it". I don't think he was judging me, but still felt a bit off...

My youngest (2.5) essentially has her own tablet (a first gen ipad mini that i never got roung to selling). But its cleared of all innapropriate apps and locked down, the only thing we really have to keep an eye on is kids youtube (they both love it so much i cant bring myself to delete it even though there's a risk of some cunt posting a video that doesnt get taken down in time).

I also find the age appropriate stuff on netflix annoying, there's like "baby" then theres "up to 14". I deem a lot of the content up to 14 allowable to my 5 year old, but definitely not all of it
  • Dougs 19 Sep 2019 13:57:58 95,479 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    All depends on the child really - I know (and have experienced) that if I relax the time limits, his behaviour goes out the window and it becomes very difficult to get him to do anything other than play games. He's pretty faddy and can get quite obsessive over things so restricting it to a couple of hours at the weekend just about works.
  • Vortex808 19 Sep 2019 14:10:42 14,021 posts
    Seen 53 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:

We don't let her do that as TikTok is a nonces paradise, which we have explained at some length, which my daughter then recounted to her classmates.
    My lad is mildly grumpy about his lack of tik tok, but it seems a bit dodgy as far as I can see, so glad I'm not the only mean parent!
  • nickthegun 19 Sep 2019 14:16:02 82,982 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It's my preference that she doesn't actively help people to groom her, yes.
  • Derblington 19 Sep 2019 15:10:11 33,905 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Only thing is, as great as it is, I could probably have gotten away with the non-pro version given what I use it for.
    This is what I'm thinking. I want it for general use, comics and some digital doodling.

When's the next iPad event, some time in October?
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 19 Sep 2019 15:25:15 2,956 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ages away, they literally just releases new ones.
  • ozthegweat 19 Sep 2019 16:10:24 2,608 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    New basic iPad just came out, and there are rumours about an October event for new Macs and iPad Pros.
  • fontgeeksogood 19 Sep 2019 16:15:11 10,631 posts
    Seen 19 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Been spending most their lives
    Living in the nonce's paradise
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 19 Sep 2019 16:21:26 2,956 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ozthegweat wrote:
    New basic iPad just came out, and there are rumours about an October event for new Macs and iPad Pros.
    Oh I forgot about the pro! They’ve also released a new iPad Air this year which I’ve recently bought - its a very nice tablet that I’d recommend.
  • JamboWayOh 19 Sep 2019 16:23:21 20,750 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    Been spending most their lives
    Living in the nonce's paradise
    That's pure nonce-sense
  • TheSaint 19 Sep 2019 16:29:08 19,883 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    CrispyXUKTurbo wrote:
    ozthegweat wrote:
    Oh I forgot about the pro! They’ve also released a new iPad Air this year which I’ve recently bought - its a very nice tablet that I’d recommend.
    It still has touch id as well, which is miles better than face id you have to use on the pros.
  • THFourteen 19 Sep 2019 16:37:08 53,839 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    CrispyXUKTurbo wrote:
    ozthegweat wrote:
    It still has touch id as well, which is miles better than face id you have to use on the pros.
    Gotta say face id on the ipad is more irritating than not. Especially if its lying on a desk in a meeting and it locks and you then have to lift it up to unlock when you need to take a note.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.