New Apple Stuff Page 2

  • THFourteen 31 Oct 2018 10:44:22 52,820 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    I was really hoping for a new iPad mini. The one I have (mini 1) is fine for everything... except viewing web pages. The size is just perfect for me. I consider the mini 4 too old to be a sensible purchase at this point.
    My mini 1 is SO slow I can't bear it. I use it for kids YouTube and even that is an exercise in frustration!
  • Armoured_Bear 31 Oct 2018 10:46:11 27,354 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I struggle to see any reason to have an iPad over a MBP unless you need to draw on the screen.
  • nickthegun 31 Oct 2018 10:53:28 78,544 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    After my 15" MBP died last year, I did a use case analysis (not really) and found that 80% of the time I just passively consumed media and internets on it, so I opted for a 12.9" iPad pro.

    Ive got a powerful desktop if I need to do anything computery, the productivity apps on the ipad are fine if I need to do anything on the hop and not a million miles away from experience I had on the MBP. The massive battery life sealed the deal and Im happy I made the right decision. All really use it for is fucking around on the internet and youtube and its perfect for that.


    So, yeah.... I did just that, so put that up your pipe.

    Edited by nickthegun at 10:54:23 31-10-2018
  • dominalien 31 Oct 2018 10:54:21 9,233 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    dominalien wrote:
    I was really hoping for a new iPad mini. The one I have (mini 1) is fine for everything... except viewing web pages. The size is just perfect for me. I consider the mini 4 too old to be a sensible purchase at this point.
    My mini 1 is SO slow I can't bear it. I use it for kids YouTube and even that is an exercise in frustration!
    Yeah, anything to do with the web is terrible. I mostly use it as a test device for web stuff I write to make sure it works on old iOS.

    But I also use it for offline nav and reading magazines and books and listening to music and there it's still fine.
  • THFourteen 31 Oct 2018 11:14:24 52,820 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    I struggle to see any reason to have an iPad over a MBP unless you need to draw on the screen.
    Tablet Vs laptop. Different use cases. Comics are ace on a tablet. You can easily use a tablet on a train. Etc
  • RyanDS 31 Oct 2018 11:18:18 12,842 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    I struggle to see any reason to have an iPad over a MBP unless you need to draw on the screen.
    Tablet Vs laptop. Different use cases. Comics are ace on a tablet. You can easily use a tablet on a train. Etc
    To be honest with the price of the Ipad Pro now, I have switched to the Microsoft Surface and cannot believe how much better it is. Ipad was great for fucking around, but if you want work the surface shits all over it. Does all the Ipad stuff, but also can be used as a proper PC.
  • atothewest 31 Oct 2018 11:23:50 1,023 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah with the price of the iPad Pro now it's annoying they don't offer a version with OSX installed. I mean I get why they don't because it's Apple, but pound-for-pound the Surface has so much more utility as a 'pro' device.
  • nickthegun 31 Oct 2018 11:59:24 78,544 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    To be honest with the price of the Ipad Pro now, I have switched to the Microsoft Surface and cannot believe how much better it is.
    Yeah, I think last years 12.9" pro started at 769 and I got 10% off that through work. £200 quid is an insane jump and I would likely go for a surface at that price, although the ecosystem integration between my phone, ipad and watch would make me think twice.
  • elstoof 31 Oct 2018 12:10:17 23,932 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    After my 15" MBP died last year, I did a use case analysis (not really) and found that 80% of the time I just passively consumed media and internets on it, so I opted for a 12.9" iPad pro.

    Ive got a powerful desktop if I need to do anything computery, the productivity apps on the ipad are fine if I need to do anything on the hop and not a million miles away from experience I had on the MBP. The massive battery life sealed the deal and Im happy I made the right decision. All really use it for is fucking around on the internet and youtube and its perfect for that.


    So, yeah.... I did just that, so put that up your pipe.
    You make a good case for an iMac and iPad Pro combo to replace my current MBP for everything, decisions decisions
  • THFourteen 31 Oct 2018 12:17:44 52,820 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    I struggle to see any reason to have an iPad over a MBP unless you need to draw on the screen.
    Tablet Vs laptop. Different use cases. Comics are ace on a tablet. You can easily use a tablet on a train. Etc
    To be honest with the price of the Ipad Pro now, I have switched to the Microsoft Surface and cannot believe how much better it is. Ipad was great for fucking around, but if you want work the surface shits all over it. Does all the Ipad stuff, but also can be used as a proper PC.
    Depends on work though. At our company, the "bring your own device" scheme is limited to iOS. So if you want to do any kind of offline work, even emails, documents, calendar etc, you need to have iOS.

    With any other OS its via Citrix remote desktop back to your PC.

    I also like the idea of taking notes electronically, currently i just use multiple pads of paper with no organisation, and we have one-note integration here too, so i could review them at my desk.

    Having said that, i could probably do any of the things i want to do on the "normal" ipad. But the pro looks really nice...

    Edited by THFourteen at 12:18:36 31-10-2018
  • Fake_Blood 31 Oct 2018 12:52:03 9,665 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    dominalien wrote:
    I was really hoping for a new iPad mini. The one I have (mini 1) is fine for everything... except viewing web pages. The size is just perfect for me. I consider the mini 4 too old to be a sensible purchase at this point.
    My mini 1 is SO slow I can't bear it. I use it for kids YouTube and even that is an exercise in frustration!
    I also love my mini 2, just perfect to watch some youtube in bed.
  • beastmaster 31 Oct 2018 13:00:13 19,401 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    This is pretty interesting. A $1,400 hackintosh can't outperform a $5,000 Mac. Right...?

    It runs Mac OS natively so no need for drivers etc. and utilises hardware acceleration for Final Cut Pro.

  • THFourteen 1 Nov 2018 15:50:41 52,820 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Still haven't cancelled my order. Hmmm.
  • Tonka 2 Nov 2018 11:41:43 29,767 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Apple will no longer reveal how many units they are selling. This after the iPhone unit sales were flat yoy yet somehow increasing the revenue by 29%.

    That is bloody impressive.

    I'm hoping they've some impressive plan for their piles of cash. Super good AR glasses please.
  • elstoof 2 Nov 2018 11:53:00 23,932 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Its a shame as I enjoy nothing more than a good old look at sales figures
  • fontgeeksogood 2 Nov 2018 12:00:40 6,762 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Apple will no longer reveal how many units they are selling. This after the iPhone unit sales were flat yoy yet somehow increasing the revenue by 29%.
    They put the price up of things which cost them less to make.

    You're welcome
  • CalamityJames 2 Nov 2018 16:24:15 242 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Maybe someone who is better with hardware than I am can chip in here. I've got a 2013 MBP that was the top-spec off-the-shelf model at the time (so, 16GB RAM, two-point-something GHz i7, Nvidia 750m gfx card, 512GB SSD).

    I noticed a couple of years ago that I simply wasn't using it as a portable device anymore, and decided an iMac would be a better fit for my needs. But at the time, there didn't seem to be anything that was a big enough upgrade to justify the price.

    And it seems there still isn't, right? It seems that unless I'm willing to stump up for an iMac Pro (which I can't), there's nothing in the current iMac range that's a significant upgrade on my 5-year-old MBP.

    I should admit that I lost track of Intel's naming/numbering system some time in the Pentium era. The thought of replacing my i7-based Mac with an i5-based one seems like a backward step, but I'm sure I must be missing something. Am I?
  • Technoishmatt 2 Nov 2018 17:24:01 3,512 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I just got a Dell XPS 13 delivered today. What a great machine. You should get one of them. 4k screen, gen 8 i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD for about 1000 quid. and I was completely taken aback by the quality of the keyboard and trackpad. After years of Lenovo work laptops, feel like I am coming out the dark ages :p

    Edited by Technoishmatt at 17:24:39 02-11-2018
  • dominalien 2 Nov 2018 18:16:01 9,233 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh, I was looking at the XPS 13 the other day. Though they don't sell the config I want in my country and I was put off by having to import. :-S

    Edited by dominalien at 18:17:07 02-11-2018
  • beastmaster 2 Nov 2018 21:29:58 19,401 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    CalamityJames wrote:
    Maybe someone who is better with hardware than I am can chip in here. I've got a 2013 MBP that was the top-spec off-the-shelf model at the time (so, 16GB RAM, two-point-something GHz i7, Nvidia 750m gfx card, 512GB SSD).

    I noticed a couple of years ago that I simply wasn't using it as a portable device anymore, and decided an iMac would be a better fit for my needs. But at the time, there didn't seem to be anything that was a big enough upgrade to justify the price.

    And it seems there still isn't, right? It seems that unless I'm willing to stump up for an iMac Pro (which I can't), there's nothing in the current iMac range that's a significant upgrade on my 5-year-old MBP.

    I should admit that I lost track of Intel's naming/numbering system some time in the Pentium era. The thought of replacing my i7-based Mac with an i5-based one seems like a backward step, but I'm sure I must be missing something. Am I?
    I replied my maxed out 17 inch MBP with a maxed out 4K iMac last year after they introduced the new chips. Best thing Iíve done. Absolultey love it. I didnít go full whack on the storage as I use external hard drives for photos and ITunes etc. Never looked back.

    I also bought a 13 inch HP Spectre 2 in 1 about 5 months ago and have hardly fucking touched it. Windows and Linux is very much work orientated for me and thatís the last thing I want to see when I come home. Iím not working at the moment and I need to start doing a few things on it, so itís going to get some serious use shortly. Or I may just play Red Dead 2 instead :)
  • THFourteen 25 Mar 2019 18:07:54 52,820 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Apple credit card with 2% cash back on Apple Pay?!

    Iím in!
  • Deleted user 25 March 2019 18:21:35
    fucking state of this
  • senso-ji 25 Mar 2019 23:16:54 9,791 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    All these streaming services on offer now, someone is going to lose out big time because people won't have the money or the time to subscribe to all of them. Apple are late to the party; wonder if this new direction will cost them?
  • TheSaint 25 Mar 2019 23:33:00 18,756 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    They can afford it.

    It doesnít sound particularly inspiring at the moment, especially if everything has to be family friendly.
  • Gaol 25 Mar 2019 23:55:02 3,462 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Apple credit card with 2% cash back on Apple Pay?!

    Iím in!
    You won't get this in the EU thanks to their cap on interchange fees.

    But as for the push into TV content and banking, it's all a bit insidious. I'm starting to find the brand a bit naff.
  • Syrette 26 Mar 2019 08:33:51 50,306 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Thought the entire thing was a bit pathetic to be honest.
  • THFourteen 26 Mar 2019 09:26:50 52,820 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Waiting for them to kill off Newsify.
  • Syrette 3 Jun 2019 19:47:28 50,306 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Argh, stop cheering and applauding everything...
  • THFourteen 3 Jun 2019 20:14:21 52,820 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Hmmmm my iPad pro might actually be getting a bit more "pro"

    I mean my "computer".

    Edited by THFourteen at 20:14:32 03-06-2019
  • ozthegweat 3 Jun 2019 21:28:24 2,267 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Still no mouse support for iPad. Sad!
Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.