Following New Apple Stuff Page 12

• Armoured_Bear 22 Jun 2020 18:37:45 28,823 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    smemma wrote:
    @beastmaster apparently theyíre not showing any new hardware today - change of plan! Really hope thatís wrong though, as new iMacs are so long overdue
    I really hope so, Iím waiting to order a new desktop Mac as mine is dead
  • THFourteen 22 Jun 2020 18:38:28 53,685 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    PICTURE IN PICTURE MODE FOR IPHONE

FUCKIN HELL

WAITED TWENTY YEARS

Edited by THFourteen at 18:38:33 22-06-2020
  • yegon 22 Jun 2020 19:01:42 6,498 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    +2 more for YouTube support.
  • ozthegweat 22 Jun 2020 19:05:32 2,500 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    YouTube has refused to implement PiP on iPad for years. Wouldn't hold my breath that they do it on iPhone.
  • yegon 22 Jun 2020 19:10:29 6,498 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Iím confident it will happen before 2030 given it took them 9 months* to add Gmail dark mode.

To be fair, the iPad YT app is decent enough if you have low expectations. It got split screen pretty quickly, but not PiP as you say. Still a pathetic lack of keyboard shortcuts.

*Some people have had it for ages, pedants, but it wasnít rolled out to everyone until pretty recently

Edited by yegon at 19:13:33 22-06-2020
  • Derblington 22 Jun 2020 19:20:53 33,149 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    What exactly do people want in a new Apple TV that the 4K doesnít do?
    Nothing really, but Iíd rather have a newer model with longer support than buying the old, given the option. If they never released a new one the 4K would be fine.
  • Armoured_Bear 22 Jun 2020 19:30:33 28,823 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nah, 30 mins left and theyíve only just started on the ARM chips.
    No hardware ☹️
  • fontgeeksogood 22 Jun 2020 19:39:34 9,718 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    What exactly do people want in a new Apple TV that the 4K doesnít do?
    Nothing really, but Iíd rather have a newer model with longer support than buying the old, given the option. If they never released a new one the 4K would be fine.
    Also one which is caster compatible amirite
  • Fake_Blood 22 Jun 2020 20:08:14 10,377 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The airpods automatically switching to whatever device you're using is a function I didn't know I wanted.
  • Armoured_Bear 22 Jun 2020 20:09:33 28,823 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    All the MacOs stuff, new own silicon etc. sounds awesome.
    I just wanted a new iMac :(
  • THFourteen 22 Jun 2020 20:11:31 53,685 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    The airpods automatically switching to whatever device you're using is a function I didn't know I wanted.
    It was actually a function I didnít realise I wasnít getting when I bought them. All the reviews said that Bluetooth connectivity was seamless, this was what I expected and didnít get!
  • beastmaster 22 Jun 2020 20:23:16 20,704 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Didnít happen sadly. Probably do something in September which isnít that far off. Or theyíll probably announce something right after you buy a new one.

The new chips wonít be introduced into their Macs till next year? Just wondering if theyíll have them in the MacBook Pro. Not going to wait that long. Hopefully get one in November.
  • yegon 22 Jun 2020 20:28:54 6,498 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    It was actually a function I didnít realise I wasnít getting when I bought them. All the reviews said that Bluetooth connectivity was seamless, this was what I expected and didnít get!
    Exactly, about time. Had this feature on no name BT ear/headphones for years, I was amazed when the Airpods didnít have it, especially given all the hype about seamless connection.
  • azurelas_2 22 Jun 2020 23:25:59 2,029 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I have no problem in principle with an ARM MacBook or MacBook Air. But I can't imagine the performance being good enough for the rest of the PCs.
  • Armoured_Bear 22 Jun 2020 23:48:25 28,823 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    azurelas_2 wrote:
    I have no problem in principle with an ARM MacBook or MacBook Air. But I can't imagine the performance being good enough for the rest of the PCs.
    You might want to watch the keynote.
  • Armoured_Bear 22 Jun 2020 23:50:04 28,823 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Didnít happen sadly. Probably do something in September which isnít that far off. Or theyíll probably announce something right after you buy a new one.

The new chips wonít be introduced into their Macs till next year? Just wondering if theyíll have them in the MacBook Pro. Not going to wait that long. Hopefully get one in November.
    Wondering whether to just get a Mac Mini to tide me over till a proper iMac comes out that's worth throwing the cash at.
  • ozthegweat 23 Jun 2020 06:09:37 2,500 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    azurelas_2 wrote:
    The 9 month old iPhone 11, which has a chip designed around the severe power and thermal constraints of a phone, beats the 16" MacBook Pro with an i9 in single-core performance. I think performance won't be an issue.

Bigger issues will be incompatible apps and virtualization of x86 OSs. Granted, the average consumer doesn't care about those things, and sees ARM Macs probably as a big leap forward because they run iPhone and iPad apps. Although, those same people will probably buy less and less Macs anyway and transition to iPads.
  • ozthegweat 23 Jun 2020 06:14:14 2,500 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    To be fair, it would have been exceptionally bad timing to reveal new Intel hardware at the same time as announcing the momentous switch to ARM. "Hey, here's a new iMac! Oh bee-tee-dubs, in 6 months there's gonna be new Macs that make this one here look like your grandma on valium."
  • beastmaster 23 Jun 2020 06:15:17 20,704 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    beastmaster wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:

Wondering whether to just get a Mac Mini to tide me over till a proper iMac comes out that's worth throwing the cash at.
    I donít think the current Minis are particularly great in terms of value and performance. But if you need a Mac it may be your best option for now.
  • smemma 23 Jun 2020 06:43:54 718 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @ozthegweat definitely a problem - and anyone who pays attention to this stuff is now going to hold off until the new ones. Shame, I was ready to throw money at an iMac, but would obviously rather have the best machine available....
  • smemma 23 Jun 2020 06:47:49 718 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    End of the year??? https://www.macrumors.com/2020/06/23/kuo-24-inch-imac-new-design-4q20/

Although this only mentions the little iMac - hopefully the new big one comes out at the same time, although with those usually being quite a bit more powerful, maybe theyíre not ready for an ARM version of that?

Edited by smemma at 06:49:10 23-06-2020
  • elstoof 23 Jun 2020 08:42:08 25,682 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    ozthegweat wrote:
    azurelas_2 wrote:
    The 9 month old iPhone 11, which has a chip designed around the severe power and thermal constraints of a phone, beats the 16" MacBook Pro with an i9 in single-core performance. I think performance won't be an issue.
    Itís very unlikely that Apple has just announced a switch without having spent the last ~5 years developing desktop ARM processors that are already powerful enough, they wonít just chuck a phone cpu in a MacBook and say thatís it for now
  • TheSaint 23 Jun 2020 09:25:26 19,577 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    You'd still have to be pretty brave to take the plunge on the first-gen of these new ARM devices.

Bound to be some teething problems and I wouldn't want to spend £1000+ to be their guinea pig.
  • sport 23 Jun 2020 09:28:35 15,997 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Hold on, are Iphone CPU's more powerful than Intel I9s???
  • nickthegun 23 Jun 2020 09:28:38 81,772 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Definitely. Never buy the first gen.

Conversely.. the last intel model might be an investment. Theres bound to be something popular that doesnt work properly on ARM, so keeping hold of old architecture may become a thing.
  • Zerobob 23 Jun 2020 09:32:57 2,427 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    ozthegweat wrote:
    azurelas_2 wrote:
    Itís very unlikely that Apple has just announced a switch without having spent the last ~5 years developing desktop ARM processors that are already powerful enough, they wonít just chuck a phone cpu in a MacBook and say thatís it for now
    I'm not so sure. I don't trust Apple very much when it comes to their Macs, although the 16" Macbook Pro is certainly a return to form, and shows they're at least still capable of acknowledging issues.

I think the switch to ARM will improve the speed of MacOS, improve Macbook battery life, and allow systems to run far cooler when performing general tasks 99% of the time.

However, good multi-core will be crucial for anyone doing creative work and other intensive CPU tasks and I just hope Apple continues to cater for these users. Lately I get the impression Apple would like their Macbook range to be beautiful "casual" devices rather than hardcore tools for professionals, and I think the shift to ARM will lean into this mantra.
  • uiruki 23 Jun 2020 09:34:35 5,199 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    An equivalent to the old 12" Macbook with a 120hz screen and the ability to drive an external 4K display properly would have me switching back to Mac. That form factor is so good for travelling around with.
  • Armoured_Bear 23 Jun 2020 09:52:14 28,823 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    sport wrote:
    Hold on, are Iphone CPU's more powerful than Intel I9s???
    Single-core yep.
  • Armoured_Bear 23 Jun 2020 09:53:35 28,823 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    beastmaster wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:

I donít think the current Minis are particularly great in terms of value and performance. But if you need a Mac it may be your best option for now.
    Yeah, unless they come out with a significant iMac upgrade soon I won't have much choice.
  • elstoof 23 Jun 2020 10:05:42 25,682 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Zerobob wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    ozthegweat wrote:
    azurelas_2 wrote:
    I'm not so sure. I don't trust Apple very much when it comes to their Macs, although the 16" Macbook Pro is certainly a return to form, and shows they're at least still capable of acknowledging issues.

I think the switch to ARM will improve the speed of MacOS, improve Macbook battery life, and allow systems to run far cooler when performing general tasks 99% of the time.

However, good multi-core will be crucial for anyone doing creative work and other intensive CPU tasks and I just hope Apple continues to cater for these users. Lately I get the impression Apple would like their Macbook range to be beautiful "casual" devices rather than hardcore tools for professionals, and I think the shift to ARM will lean into this mantra.
    Iím more optimistic, Apple are pumping everything into this tight vertically integrated ecosystem and theyíve got the resources to do it right

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.