Following New Apple Stuff Page 16

Next Last
  • beastmaster 16 Sep 2020 13:35:37 21,216 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    October event for everything else then.

I kind of want to keep my iMac in its current state. The new 5K iMac blows the Mac Pro away but it's still the old design. I'm tempted to go full-fat maximus on a Mac Mini. Need the extra oomph. See what they come out in this event.
  • Armoured_Bear 16 Sep 2020 13:46:31 29,021 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    October event for everything else then.

I kind of want to keep my iMac in its current state. The new 5K iMac blows the Mac Pro away but it's still the old design. I'm tempted to go full-fat maximus on a Mac Mini. Need the extra oomph. See what they come out in this event.
    I recently got an i5 Mac mini and stuck 32GB in it, pretty happy so far, feels quick and is very quiet so far. I do like the iMac with everything integrated and clean but I couldn't justify spending so much on an ancient design and a machine that will soon be obsolete.
  • beastmaster 16 Sep 2020 13:58:46 21,216 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I get that.

I'm doing a lot of stuff in FCPX and I'm not starting to get into 3D tracking and models etc. I'm not sure how that's going to work on a new silicon which will also probably launch with Big Sur as well.

Edited by beastmaster at 13:59:17 16-09-2020
  • Armoured_Bear 16 Sep 2020 14:05:10 29,021 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    I get that.

I'm doing a lot of stuff in FCPX and I'm not starting to get into 3D tracking and models etc. I'm not sure how that's going to work on a new silicon which will also probably launch with Big Sur as well.
    Yeah, with your needs it's a bit trickier. I imagine the first AS machines will be the lower specced ones, MacBook Air /Mac mini. Don't you think?
  • beastmaster 16 Sep 2020 14:17:58 21,216 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    beastmaster wrote:
    I get that.

Yeah, with your needs it's a bit trickier. I imagine the first AS machines will be the lower specced ones, MacBook Air /Mac mini. Don't you think?
    I think they shipped out Minis with the new chips to developers so the Mini is a dead cert for an upgrade. October event may be too soon but it'll be really interesting to see what they come out with and how the price of the other models changes. Air is also a dead cert. They're going to start with the "lesser" models and work their way up.

Jus as an aside, all of this is taking up my spare time to the point where I don't think I'll bother with PS5/Series X and put the money to what I need to do this. Only use the Switch really.

Maybe. :-)
  • ozthegweat 16 Sep 2020 20:19:53 2,603 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm most interested in Fitness+, it's exactly what I'm looking for right now, but for some idiotic reason it's not available where I live (only in 6 countries). Yet they manage to own the rights for TV shows in every country in the world and can provide dubs and subtitles in dozens of languages.
  • elstoof 16 Sep 2020 22:50:20 25,980 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Cool, updating iOS now
  • elstoof 17 Sep 2020 14:40:07 25,980 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ok spatial audio doesnít really do anything. Not that I can notice anyway
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 17 Sep 2020 14:40:55 2,954 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Doing it wrong then
  • elstoof 17 Sep 2020 14:42:44 25,980 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Probably, in as much as putting headphones in your ears can be done incorrectly. Certainly doesnít seem like the sound is emanating from the iPhone, it sounds like itís coming from the speakers in my ears
  • Not-a-reviewer 17 Sep 2020 14:45:36 6,452 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It only works on a few things, like Disney and some Apple stuff. It does nothing on most other things except maybe sounding a bit wider.
  • elstoof 17 Sep 2020 14:47:53 25,980 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Iím watching an Atmos show on Apple, I think it makes it sound a tiny bit shitter if I turn my head away, if thatís the big deal behind it?
  • Fake_Blood 17 Sep 2020 15:56:23 10,569 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You can test it by watching a trailer in the apple tv+ app. It does work, but best I can describe it it sounds hollow?
  • elstoof 17 Sep 2020 16:32:11 25,980 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Iíd describe it sounding like they pumped the bass up to unpleasant levels and added a little bit of echo, then muffle it very slightly when you arenít looking at the screen. I was expecting it to be like AR but for your ears
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 17 Sep 2020 21:46:30 2,954 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is for me, tried at atmos film?
  • elstoof 17 Sep 2020 21:56:11 25,980 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yep, tried several atmos shows in Apple+
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.