Following New Apple Stuff Page 22

• dominalien 17 Oct 2020 10:15:08 10,116 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, but the ďgeneral opinionĒ, whatever that is, is that Apple ďforceĒ you to upgrade yearly because... resons.
  • elstoof 17 Oct 2020 10:23:36 26,254 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I canít tell if this is sarcasm or a genuine concern
  • dominalien 17 Oct 2020 11:01:59 10,116 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Sarcasm. I hear/read it all the time.

Perhaps because every time they put out a new iteration itís magical and wonderful and amazing so people who donít appreciate it jump to the conclusion the previous iteration is rendered immediately obsolete.

Then thereís planned obsolescence and Apple are being total cunts about it and itís the reason I wonít buy their computers any more. That and all the dongles ofc.
  • elstoof 17 Oct 2020 11:12:06 26,254 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Iíve never heard or read anything like that personally. As far as their computers are concerned, Iíve always got at least 6 years use out of their laptops which is one of the reasons Iím happy to keep buying them
  • Derblington 17 Oct 2020 11:15:37 34,293 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Itís pretty much the most reliable hardware Iíve ever bought, I think. MBPs, iMacs and iPads.
    No idea how long an iPhone would last as I tend to upgrade every 2 years.
  • Phattso 17 Oct 2020 11:34:54 26,294 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Apple are still actively supporting iPhones back to the 6S and the OG SE. Thatís quite a long time.

There was a period where each new iOS required more from the hardware, but the last three in a row have been more efficiency focussed. I used to change every two years but got three years out of my 6S and intend to get at least that from my XS.
  • [maven] 17 Oct 2020 11:39:08 5,709 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'm going to upgrade from my 8 (which requests a "battery service" but still has 97% capacity) to a 12 mini, I think.
  • dominalien 17 Oct 2020 11:44:31 10,116 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Edit: replying to elstoof and Deblington

Hmm, itís a matter of perspective really.

Iím not disputing reliability, quite the opposite really. The hardware will last forever and if you donít need the power of a new gen, you could keep using it 10+ years. But you canít because software updates stop and it becomes first insecure and then useless. Not a problem if you get a new one every 6 years, a problem if you donít need to. My MBP is sufficient for the work I do on it, but the OS isnít getting any more updates since some years ago and thatís that.

I have an iPad mini from 2011 on iOS 9. Itís fine hardware-wise, the battery holds quite well. The first thing thatís stopped working was icloud when they moved to a new version which required an update. Then iwork, then Skype, then some other apps. In the mean time, Safari became useless, first because it was so slow, then because it doesnít support newer JS thatís seen wide adoption in recent years. Right now I can watch Netflix and Crunchyroll on it and read books and comics.

And the longest Iíve used an iPhone is 6 years. It was fine, icloud was no longer working as mentioned above and that was the reason I finally upgraded. Basically, the latest one should really upgrade is about the time a new OS version comes out that you can no longer install and that is about 5 years. Whether thatís a sensible lifespan of an electronic device or not is subject to debate.

Edited by dominalien at 11:47:21 17-10-2020
  • dominalien 17 Oct 2020 11:46:29 10,116 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    Apple are still actively supporting iPhones back to the 6S and the OG SE. Thatís quite a long time.

There was a period where each new iOS required more from the hardware, but the last three in a row have been more efficiency focussed. I used to change every two years but got three years out of my 6S and intend to get at least that from my XS.
    This is true, new ios versions have been very good at not slowing your device down. And I was really surprised 14 supports 6s and se. Thatís longer support than apple have been giving in the past.
  • Fake_Blood 17 Oct 2020 12:03:13 10,693 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This probably isn't the right thread, but have you guys seen MKBHD's video on the LG Wing?
    I think I went "well that's dumb, but wait that's a cool idea" about 3 times.
    I wouldn't buy one, but I sure respect they are trying something new.

• deadpxl 17 Oct 2020 12:22:14 9 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    dominalien wrote:
    Yay! \o/

Incremental updates are all we can expect these days. Itís not like we need to upgrade every year, though Apple does force one to eventually as they take features away. IDK what itís like on Android.
    it's significantly worse on Android, for example with Samsung you get two OS updates, then you're cut off. Android phones are only cheaper for the folk who need a new phone and can't just update their battery when it starts to fail.
  • ozthegweat 17 Oct 2020 12:29:20 2,708 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Whatís the benefit to a 120hz screen?
    Animations like scrolling are much smoother. It's something I mostly notice immediately after going from using my iPad Pro (which has it) to using my iPhone. It's also something you notice more on a larger screen, maybe that's why it wasn't a priority for the iPhones.

It's probably mostly a personal preference thing. Some people can't even tell the difference between 30 and 60fps.
  • Phattso 17 Oct 2020 12:29:23 26,294 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    Phattso wrote:

This is true, new ios versions have been very good at not slowing your device down. And I was really surprised 14 supports 6s and se. Thatís longer support than apple have been giving in the past.
    Indeed - itís going on seven years. I think Iíd call that decent for modern electronics. I get six years out of a MacBook Pro too, and usually only upgrade because I need a faster one to do more stuff.

The fact that Apple do ďforceĒ those upgrades eventually is bad on one hand, but also is the reason their OS arenít a broken sack of shit. In the main, at least. The legacy doesnít get out of hand.
  • nickthegun 17 Oct 2020 12:53:15 83,748 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Itís why I never really mind the upfront cost of Apple stuff as the RoI is comparatively high. My daughter is still rolling with my old iPhone 7 and, barring accidents, she will get at least another year out of it. Five years isnít bad for a device that now spends its life being hoofed in and out of a school bag.
  • elstoof 17 Oct 2020 12:58:02 26,254 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I consider it unreasonable to expect more to be honest, sure it would be great to buy once and never have to spend money again but nothing in electronics is like that. How often do you upgrade your television or your games console? That iPad came out 2 years before PS4, do you think Sony should hold back on the PS5 for a few more years?
  • dominalien 17 Oct 2020 13:20:56 10,116 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Heh, I wish they would. And I'd expect at least 10 years out of a TV. I remember when that was the case. I miss the good old days of electronics that would last forever and standards which would rarely if ever change.
  • Phattso 17 Oct 2020 13:23:12 26,294 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    You can have that - but you'd still be on a CRT with 480 lines and a fucking Megadrive. Have a word. :)
  • dominalien 17 Oct 2020 13:30:38 10,116 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Oh come on, the Megadrive was ace. And I love a good CRT.

Anyway, I think consoles have a relatively good life span.
  • elstoof 17 Oct 2020 13:39:26 26,254 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Consoles have settled into a consistent 6-7 years between generations, which is roughly as long as you complain about getting out of an iPhone, MBP or iMac 🤷‍♂️
  • deadpxl 17 Oct 2020 13:40:23 9 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    That's weird, my 10 year old plasma is still crushing it on a daily basis.
  • elstoof 17 Oct 2020 13:45:02 26,254 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I bet your 10 year old plasma looks like a bag o shite next to an LG CX
  • deadpxl 17 Oct 2020 13:49:44 9 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    well, I don't know, but it didn't stop working 4 years ago, which is the implication.

in fact it looks better than any LCD TV to this day.
  • Dougs 17 Oct 2020 13:50:44 96,721 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    You can have that - but you'd still be on a CRT with 480 lines and a fucking Megadrive. Have a word. :)
    My Panny plasma lasted 11 years as our main telly. And is still used to this day....and looks great (except in comparison to HDR...). Still brilliant with motion.

Edit: doh, I see that convo is already happening

Edited by Dougs at 13:51:12 17-10-2020
  • elstoof 17 Oct 2020 13:54:55 26,254 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I donít think anyone suggested things will stop working, but if you want to buy something that feels like a significant step up in quality and features, replacing every 6 years or so isnít too unreasonable
  • Dougs 17 Oct 2020 13:57:37 96,721 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    I bet your 10 year old plasma looks like a bag o shite next to an LG CX
    There's some content that looks better imo. Notably Nowtv football streams. But that's the source that's the problem there!
  • Phattso 17 Oct 2020 14:02:37 26,294 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The point I was trying to make is that if you want shit that lasts forever you will, by definition, be trapped in the past. TVs just take a signal and show it. You can get by with a 20 year old one if you're happy with the compromises. I'm on about a four year cycle with TVs but that's probably skewed by moving country twice and changing up every time. The next one I buy (LG CX, fates willing) will be it for a long while.

Unlike a tele, though, things like consoles and phones and laptops are part of an ever-evolving app-scape. So you kinda have to go with that churn rate - 6 years ish - or just get a feature phone for calls and use a shitty Windows laptop to browse t'interwebs. :)
  • Dougs 17 Oct 2020 14:03:35 96,721 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Don't disagree with that at all!
  • dominalien 17 Oct 2020 15:30:55 10,116 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Consoles have settled into a consistent 6-7 years between generations, which is roughly as long as you complain about getting out of an iPhone, MBP or iMac 🤷‍♂️
    That's true, but then I expect different things from stuff that plays games than stuff that's for email, web and watching some videos.

In any case, I couldn't wait for the PS3 gen to be over, because they were clearly deficient for actual HD. With the PS4 I'm not so sure... it still plays awesomely looking games.
  • Phattso 17 Oct 2020 16:26:59 26,294 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Wait - you have an older Apple machine that can't email, browse the web, or watch videos? Really?
  • dominalien 17 Oct 2020 16:57:25 10,116 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I have an iPad that can't browse the web.

I have a MBP that shouldn't be connected to the internet period, because it hasn't had an update in 4 years. If it were running macOS that is. It's perfectly fine, updated and all, as it is now.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.