Hellblade Retail Edition

First Previous
  • Bionic_Pixel 1 Nov 2018 10:38:43 187 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Hellblade Retail Edition is on the way. December 4th to be precise!

Being old skool, i passed on Hellblade at launch, as it was download only - Booooo!
    With a disc in a box edition on the way, i'm considering giving Hellblade a bash.

Did someone say Hellblade Retail Edition?

We listened to all of your requests, and today we are very excited to announce that Hellblade: Senuaís Sacrifice will have its very own physical edition, releasing on December 4th for PlayStation 4!

Thank you to all our fans and followers for helping us make this possible!
    - Ninja Theory
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 1 Nov 2018 10:40:16 20,643 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I can not fucking wait to see the picture on the box. Have they dropped any clues as to what it might look like?
  • Bionic_Pixel 1 Nov 2018 10:50:47 187 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 1 Nov 2018 10:51:48 20,643 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Holy shit. Is that her face?
  • Phattso 1 Nov 2018 10:59:29 24,816 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    What about the back and the spine?! Jesus, this week was such a write-off until now.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 1 Nov 2018 11:17:00 10,899 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Unless you're a total COD bawbag or a too young child you should totally play this. Everybody should
  • neilka 1 Nov 2018 11:30:22 22,645 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Living in a box
    Living in a Hellblade box
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 1 Nov 2018 13:04:45 3,564 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I preordered this a few weeks ago as it was well received but wasn't buying it digitally if I could help it.
  • challenge_hanukkah 1 Nov 2018 13:06:39 11,114 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Do you like pretty boxes too?
  • Bionic_Pixel 1 Nov 2018 20:19:31 187 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ordered!
    Been looking for something new for the PS4

The plan is to pick up Resident Evil 7, Spider-Man, Gran Turismo Sport, Death Stranding and possibly RDR2 when i upgrade to PS4 Pro and a 4K TV, and possibly a VR device for RE7
  • challenge_hanukkah 1 Nov 2018 20:24:22 11,114 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Your Universal Credit will stretch that far?!
  • whatthefu 1 Nov 2018 20:58:28 1,236 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    lol
  • Bionic_Pixel 27 Dec 2018 15:18:13 187 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Having picked up the hardcopy, Xmas has allowed time to finally play Hellblade. So far I have completed 14%. Graphically the game looks quite good, if you like wood and stone environments with a tribal vibe.

From what Iíve learnt so far, the game involves gates, gates that need to be opened. In order to open the gates, symbols need be to be aligned to create the same symbol featured on the current locked gate. This can prove frustrating. There are wooden arches than can be passed through, that appear to add extra elements to the location. For example, extra steps were required in one area, and simply by walking through a wooden arch, the steps were added to the location. Admittedly I took to YouTube to discover this, as I had all but given up at this point.

Walking around solving the difficult puzzles started to feel like Tomb Raider without the action. After some time, action is added to the mix in the form of battleís (some of which are overly long, which took me back to Heavily Sword, by the same company) with various odd looking creatures. These appear tough, almost impossible at first. With no sign of control instructions in the box, I Goggled them.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps4/827518-hellblade-senuas-sacrifice/faqs/75195/combat-move-list

This proved helpful. The Block and Focus options are a must. Simply stabbing the sword isnít enough. With the knowledge of the controls, I still think the controls feel sluggish, compared to the likes of Street Fighter. Senua feels almost glued to the spot. Also, L1 for Run, feels plain wrong.

Time to battle on, or maybe not, as Iím stuck again, wandering, wondering..

Edited by Bionic_Pixel at 15:20:15 27-12-2018
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 27 Dec 2018 15:22:03 10,899 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The lack of a jump or much of a climb function was occasionally frustrating as there are some instinctive paths which can't be taken without them but otherwise I think once you buy into it this is a seriously brilliant game
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 27 Dec 2018 15:27:21 3,564 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I enjoyed this and preordered the physical. The fights got a little repetitive but just about fit the game length. The fact that it was fully prepatched on disc was a nice bonus too.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 27 Dec 2018 16:00:20 10,899 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's the smallest effort but always appreciate it when a finished game is put on the disc of a previously digital title
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 27 Dec 2018 16:46:16 3,564 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yup. It is understandable with matching day 1 digital release stuff but late stuff should be feature complete where possible (I am looking at you Limited Run Games...)
  • Bionic_Pixel 29 Dec 2018 09:32:06 187 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    The lack of a jump or much of a climb function was occasionally frustrating as there are some instinctive paths which can't be taken without them but otherwise I think once you buy into it this is a seriously brilliant game
    From time to time, I feel frustrated at the lack of ability to jump down from or over areas of scenery.

The arch concept - switching on / off pieces of scenery might have worked better if there was a mini cut scene showing the out come each time, rather than having to walk back and forth working out if a change has happened.

Graphically I love the moment the weird twisted tree comes into view, only for the dark world to turn lush green with brightly colored flowers. Super nice!

I wonder why Ninja T. went with using footage of live actors from time to time throughout the game. It works well enough. I wonder why they didnít model these characters?

Oddly enough, as nice as the visuals look, walking though puddles, they do not distort or splash. They remain solid.

Iím not 100% sold of the constant finding of shapes required to open gates. There have been a couple that I had no choice but to look on YouTube for the answer, as the shape was too well hidden.

For all the gripes, the game makes a change.

I've been cracking on with Hell Blade, I think the journey is going to end soon, as my characters arm is almost 100% black. If I have to start over, I doubt Iíd bother. There was a rather unfair section that sees Senua run around an interior, a type of wooden maze, being chased by fire, the idea being to locate 3 shapes and locate the exit gate. This section took many attempts and many deaths to accomplish. I managed to fall through the scenery into darkness at one point. Had not choice but to exit to the main menu.

At the moment Iím at a rather good looking section by the sea. Iím working through the various blue crystalís, each leading to a new location. Iíve complete 4 or 5 so far.

Edited by Bionic_Pixel at 09:32:42 29-12-2018
  • Bionic_Pixel 29 Dec 2018 23:04:07 187 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Have a feeling i could be close to the end of the game already.
    The location looks red orange, alive with moving walls made from hands, heads.

10 PRINT "There is monster after monster after monster after monster"
    20 GOTO 10

The frustration of sword swinging, blocking, rolling, focusing, getting so far only to die and die again. Having flashbacks to the arena battle in Heavily Sword when enough was enough and i gave up, as it all went on for too long.

Edited by Bionic_Pixel at 23:04:20 29-12-2018
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 30 Dec 2018 01:31:22 10,899 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Reliving this through your progress there are so many gorgeous and terrifying looking locations I'd half forgotten.

It's underrated what a good looking game this was alongside all the hype about the story and mental health angle.
  • Bionic_Pixel 30 Dec 2018 10:27:45 187 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Reliving this through your progress there are so many gorgeous and terrifying looking locations I'd half forgotten.

It's underrated what a good looking game this was alongside all the hype about the story and mental health angle.
    Much work appears to have gone into applying after FX to the locations to convey Senua's mental state.

I was up until 2.30 last night doing battle, and the battle I won, eventually. As it turns out, it wasnít the end of the game (as you probably are all too aware). Iíve returned to puzzle solving inside a mountain. I like to think the end is near. Itís been a while since a game kept me up half the night.
  • Bionic_Pixel 31 Dec 2018 12:13:15 187 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    One_Vurfed_Gwrx wrote:
    I enjoyed this and preordered the physical. The fights got a little repetitive but just about fit the game length. The fact that it was fully prepatched on disc was a nice bonus too.
    So far I have stumbled across 3 graphical bugs and 2 other issues.

Other:
    1. During one part of the game the player is required to do battle with a 4 legged creature in a small circular arena surround by black darkness. During the battle, Saunaís sword vanished. The ability to roll away from the creature was not an option. As much as the creature attacked Senua, Senua refused to die. Thinking this was part of the game, I attempted to locate the sword or other ways of defeating the creature. After giving up and turning to Google for an answer, I discovered it was in fact a bug. Worst still, someone had posted the message: Exiting to the menu and returning to the game fails to fix the issue. I tried just that, exiting to the menu, returning to the game. On restarting the level, Saunaís sword had returned. Pheeew!

2. One part of the game requires the player to run around the interior of a wooden building while being chased by fire. I managed to fall through the backdrop into darkness. The only option was to exit the game and restart.

Graphical:
    1. Early on in the game there are large wooden posts used for various structures. For some reason, the square tops of the posts look a lot lighter in colour compared to the darker sides.

2. One of the puzzles requires the player to add some stone steps. Once the stage has been completed, the player gets to walk through stage, only this time itís in glorious colour. On attempting to climb the steps in question, the game acts as if the added steps are missing. The player does not fall through the gap, but stops, prevented for walking further by an invisible barrier.

3. About 15% into the game a small wooden cart makes up part of the scenery. The player is able to walk in to/blend with the wooden cart, as no collision appears to be in place.
  • Bionic_Pixel 31 Dec 2018 20:42:44 187 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    C O M P L E T E D

The wooden bridge battle tested my patience somewhat.
    The ending isn't quite what i imagined it might be.

I figured the whole game was in the mind of someone with mental health issues. In their mind they created Senua and the world she inhabited. I part expected the ending to show someone waking up in hospital, in a very modern world.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 31 Dec 2018 21:13:32 3,564 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think the game was just the right length to deal with the puzzle style and simplistic battle system. I only had one glitch where I had to die to fix it, I forget where. I did make earlier battles a lot harder for myself for a long time by not realising that focus and roll can you get out of 'death'. I still enjoyed it overall but I missed a few story stones so failed the platinum and supposedly better ending. I may replay some time but not for a while. I need to watch the included documentary at some point too...
  • GoatApocalypse 31 Dec 2018 23:03:22 5,822 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I want to love this game but I think I admire it more then I enjoy it. Too much clunkiness to make it truly great, despite the genuinely brilliant implementation of the core concept.

Some of the frustrations are clever but I'm so done with not being able to hop over knee-height stones.

I'll play it through but I wish the designers didn't hate me quite so much.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 31 Dec 2018 23:49:25 10,899 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bionic_Pixel wrote:
    C O M P L E T E D

I figured the whole game was in the mind of someone with mental health issues. In their mind they created Senua and the world she inhabited. I part expected the ending to show someone waking up in hospital, in a very modern world.
    That battle was a real bastard.

I also had to look at a walkthrough for the final boss as I couldn't see a way passed the waves of bad guys. Realising what had to happen and doing it artificially made the ending slightly anticlimactic. But I still love it and count it among my favourites of the generation.
  • Bionic_Pixel 1 Jan 2019 10:49:31 187 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    One_Vurfed_Gwrx wrote:
    I think the game was just the right length to deal with the puzzle style and simplistic battle system. I only had one glitch where I had to die to fix it, I forget where. I did make earlier battles a lot harder for myself for a long time by not realising that focus and roll can you get out of 'death'. I still enjoyed it overall but I missed a few story stones so failed the platinum and supposedly better ending. I may replay some time but not for a while. I need to watch the included documentary at some point too...
    I'm impressed you managed to get through the game without resorting to the roll and focus options. As i posted earlier, i only discovered the roll, focus, block moves using Goggle, as i reached a point in the game where simply swinging a sword wasn't going to cut it.
  • Bionic_Pixel 1 Jan 2019 10:54:08 187 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Bionic_Pixel wrote:
    C O M P L E T E D

That battle was a real bastard.

I also had to look at a walkthrough for the final boss as I couldn't see a way passed the waves of bad guys. Realising what had to happen and doing it artificially made the ending slightly anticlimactic. But I still love it and count it among my favourites of the generation.
    I'll remember the game for it's great looking locations and all manner of after FX added to them. The fighting side of Hell Blade was it's weakness, as they felt unnecessary, over long, designed to drag the game out longer. I liked the use of live action footage for some of the characters as it blended in well in the way it was used. The audio was rather good also.

Edited by Bionic_Pixel at 10:54:56 01-01-2019
  • neems 1 Jan 2019 12:29:39 4,654 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I fired up my Vive for the first time in a quite a while, and remembered they released a VR update for Senua.

Only played a little bit, but seems very impressive so far. A little uncomfortable perhaps (not a hurl fest though) but pretty sure it's the best looking VR game I've seen. Despite being 3rd person it has a real sense of presence.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 1 Jan 2019 12:34:44 3,564 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bionic_Pixel wrote:
    One_Vurfed_Gwrx wrote:
    I'm impressed you managed to get through the game without resorting to the roll and focus options. As i posted earlier, i only discovered the roll, focus, block moves using Goggle, as i reached a point in the game where simply swinging a sword wasn't going to cut it.
    I did accidentally discover them eventually (had already done the first two bosses by then though), possibly by accidentally pressing while waiting for death to finalise. And yeah, later on would he a challenge without.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.