Tetris Effect

• Fake_Blood 5 Nov 2018 12:07:02 9,485 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone else tried the demo yet?
    I quite like it, Iím not impartial to a bit of electronic music with a good beat, and the visuals are nice too.
    I like how they play certain samples or tones when you move or drop pieces, itís much like Rez in that way.
  • Singularity 5 Nov 2018 12:28:08 3,133 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I thought it would be bigger. When I heard VR Tetris I was expecting gigantic wireframe tetrominoes that filled the world around you.

I thought what we got was a bit shit.

Edit: User Dfawkes tells me that there are massive blocks to be had in there somewhere.

Edited by Singularity at 12:46:27 05-11-2018
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 5 Nov 2018 12:30:02 32,229 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    To be honest, I wasn't all that sure at first. I definitely thought it was pretty good, and quite enjoyed the trance vibe of it blending sound and vision. At the very least, I felt it was good enough to justify sitting with a bulky VR headset on to play Tetris :)

It has really stuck with me though. I didn't think it was £35 good when I was playing it, but now I'm feeling drawn back to it in a way I hadn't anticipated. I'm still on the fence, but I can definitely see why some people were really taken with it.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 5 Nov 2018 12:36:47 19,710 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think my biggest issue with it is that you just focus in on the Tetris so all the flashy visuals going are kind of wasted. I'll probably pick it when it's sub £10 but yeah didn't really work for me.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 5 Nov 2018 12:45:43 32,229 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I really liked that purposefully-screw-you-over mode in the demo. Some of the effects in that messed with my head, like the one that brings the whole gameboard right up to your face so you have to look up at it, towering over you like a skyscrapper. That one could only really work in VR, so felt quite unique.

There's also one that sends a massive brick at about 4 times the normal scale that fits nowhere on account of how massive it is. Screw that one.
  • Fake_Blood 5 Nov 2018 13:04:47 9,485 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Iím playing it in plain old 2D and Iím pretty sure Iím going to buy it. At one point I kind of zoned out and didnít pay too much attention at was going on and it really clicked with me. In HDR it must be seizure inducing I think.
  • Frogofdoom 5 Nov 2018 13:11:06 13,216 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @DFawkes yeah the one where it's all in your face is quite the surprise when it happens the first time. I didn't quite work out what the red zone one does though
  • Fake_Blood 5 Nov 2018 13:35:43 9,485 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think there is some kind of fuckery going on with which blocks you get when things are getting hairy, in a possitive sense, I often seem to get just the one I need when almost to the top.
  • 8bitMofo 5 Nov 2018 14:06:33 698 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Fake_Blood It all in your head maaan. That's the Tetris Effect.

Managed to clear 150 lines for the first time, since playing Tetris on Gameboy. This old assholes' still got it!
    I'll pick it up at a reduced price for sure.
  • minky-kong 5 Nov 2018 14:10:38 14,232 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Agree with everything already said. It was alright, but ultimately it's just Tetris with dance music and visuals you can't properly engage with because you're focussed on the Tetris grid.

Also the publisher must have been taking too many pills with the club music to think £35 is an appropriate price for it.
  • Fake_Blood 6 Nov 2018 13:17:46 9,485 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    8bitMofo wrote:
    @Fake_Blood It all in your head maaan. That's the Tetris Effect.

Managed to clear 150 lines for the first time, since playing Tetris on Gameboy. This old assholes' still got it!
    I'll pick it up at a reduced price for sure.
    Played it some more, and fairly certain they influence what blocks you get sometimes, especially during the zone bonus thing you activate with the triggers.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 6 Nov 2018 19:56:32 3,480 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This seemed a bit pointless in 2D, tiny game window and distinctly average version of Tetris. Really not too interested in this one after playing the demo.
  • Fake_Blood 6 Nov 2018 20:30:54 9,485 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The small game window bugged me too, but found out you can zoom in with the left stick.
  • ardamillo 6 Nov 2018 23:17:15 638 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah they might have shot themselves in the foot with the demo. Made me realise that without VR it's just... Tetris. I might pick it up in a sale later on.
  • Toaster05 11 Nov 2018 10:42:13 2,141 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have a fancy pants OLED tv and the game looks glorious with the particle effects going off set against those inky blacks.

VR however is clearly the way to play it.

I tried VR first before switching back to the tv. Tv play feels more like I'm playing plain old Tetris with a sixteen year old girls Spotify playlist going off on my speakers. I'm not sure how but VR seems to elevate the effect when you clear lines, I'm not just seeing and hearing the effect, I'm almost feeling the thumps in my chest (could be my chronic heart defect)

If it wasn't for the fact I'm still running a V1 PSVR I'd keep it hooked up at all times to play it.
  • Fake_Blood 11 Nov 2018 11:00:21 9,485 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I like it just fine in 2D. Itís like the review said, itís Tetris, but you can play longer sessions because it speeds up but slows down again like lumines.
  • neems 11 Nov 2018 13:07:20 4,547 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Incredibly annoying that the demo is no longer available, seems an odd decision.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.