Gaming Xmas (2018) Gifts for Children

• CalamityJames 8 Nov 2018 09:25:17 221 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I need to get a PS4 game for Xmas for a non-English-speaking 5-year-old (my godson). I had planned to get the new Sonic racing game, but the delay to that has left me a bit in the lurch.

He's really into the Lego games, so Lego DC Supervillains is an option. But he's got a few Lego games already, and they're a bit samey, so I was hoping to get him something different.

The Spyro remake is also an option, but I have my doubts as to how well those games will hold up now.

Currently, I'm leaning towards getting him Starlink with all the spaceship gubbins, but I'm not sure if it's not too grown up for him. His parents supervise him when he plays games, and they're not especially fussy/overprotective parents. Good option, or not?

What are you lot getting for the tiny people in your lives this xmas? Any recommendations or tips on what to avoid?

(NB: I'm aware threads about this kinda thing pop up fairly often, but it's a time-sensitive subject so I thought I'd make a new one).
  • Graxlar_v3 8 Nov 2018 09:44:57 4,437 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    fuck all cos i am a mug and buy him too much stuff during the year. (my missus will probably veto this train of thought).
  • THFourteen 8 Nov 2018 09:49:08 49,987 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I was gonna get my 4 year old either Pokemon kids edition or Mario party.

But to be honest hes not that taken by gaming, never really asks to play and prefers to watch YouTube on iPad. Sigh.
  • bad09 8 Nov 2018 09:52:41 8,555 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There's not much worthwhile for young kids these days in terms of videogames, at 5 years old I'd say scrap the videogame idea and buy him something worthwhile like a toy or some books.
  • hedben2013 8 Nov 2018 10:29:23 827 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Any game I ever try to get my kids into lasts a couple of days at most, before they go back to Roblox or Minecraft... but they did have a lot of fun with Human Fall Flat:

https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP4395-CUSA07208_00-HFFGAMEANDTHEME0

It might be a bit advanced for a 5 year old but it's split-screen couch co-op so a parent could help easily
  • whatfruitlivesagain 8 Nov 2018 10:37:13 1,364 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    When my niece and nephew were at that young age I would just download a trove of classic arcade games for MAME to play with them.

Anything with 3d space or leveling mechanics is too hard for a small kid under 8.
  • hedben2013 8 Nov 2018 11:00:33 827 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Minecraft has 3d space and levelling mechanics (ish) and my son's been playing it since he was 5. And the stuff he does now he's 8, I wouldn't have the first clue how to do
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 8 Nov 2018 11:08:49 4,527 posts
    Seen 24 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    There's not much worthwhile for young kids these days in terms of videogames, at 5 years old I'd say scrap the videogame idea and buy him something worthwhile like a toy or some books.
    Absolutely nothing wrong with the toy or books idea (and I very much approve of books), but I don't think I agree there isn't much worthwhile for young kids these days in gaming terms.

It's true at the AAA level, to be sure. But even if you want to avoid mobile gaming and its exploitative practices, there are loads of fairly high quality games being made for young kids, particularly on Steam. They don't get press attention or reviews on the major sites, but they exist.
  • CalamityJames 8 Nov 2018 11:17:14 221 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Like I said, this kid's fine with all the PS4 Lego games, which involve moving around in 3D space, so I'm not worried about that.

But it seems odd to me that there are so few games for kids this xmas. I must admit, I've not really had cause to buy kids' games since I was a kid myself, so maybe this is normal and I've just not been paying attention.
  • Dougs 8 Nov 2018 11:17:54 87,067 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    I was gonna get my 4 year old either Pokemon kids edition or Mario party.

But to be honest hes not that taken by gaming, never really asks to play and prefers to watch YouTube on iPad. Sigh.
    Toca games in the iPad are great for that age group. And then Angry Birds etc as they get older. The eldest was always into games and picked up console gaming quite early. The youngest, not so much. She's happy on Toca games etc and I don't think she'll ever be fussed by consoles etc. Although she did like Wii sports, so might get Mario Party at Christmas.
  • nickthegun 8 Nov 2018 11:24:10 75,548 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    hedben2013 wrote:
    Minecraft has 3d space and levelling mechanics (ish) and my son's been playing it since he was 5. And the stuff he does now he's 8, I wouldn't have the first clue how to do
    Same with my daughter. If she tries to give me a tour of what she's building, she makes me hold a snowball so I don't accidentally wreck up the place.
  • mrpon 8 Nov 2018 11:24:52 34,777 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I recently bought the latest Wario game on the 2DS for my 8yro, she loved it.
  • THFourteen 8 Nov 2018 11:25:34 49,987 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Dougs

Will have a look ta. They both like the okiplay games which are all based on wheels on the bus or old McDonald. And the peppa games went down a treat, snort snort.
  • bad09 8 Nov 2018 11:26:36 8,555 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    CalamityJames wrote:
    Like I said, this kid's fine with all the PS4 Lego games, which involve moving around in 3D space, so I'm not worried about that.

But it seems odd to me that there are so few games for kids this xmas. I must admit, I've not really had cause to buy kids' games since I was a kid myself, so maybe this is normal and I've just not been paying attention.

I was surprised by this to last year when i bpught a console for my daughter. Unless on switch most games aimed at the very young are mobile F2P garbage these days. Consoles offer very little and mostly are for the triple a grinding services aimed at teenagers.

TBH these days I would not bother with videogames for the very young kids you don't really want very young kids hooked on shite like fortnite.

Edited by bad09 at 11:27:05 08-11-2018
  • GuybrushFreepwood 8 Nov 2018 12:01:04 319 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    We're getting our youngest a Lego Harry Potter set and also the lego Harry Potter game that has come out this month for the Switch.

Previously we've got them Matrio kart & Pokemon Sun and Moon. I'd agree that five year olds probably want something more like a Leap Pad and the games on that.
  • DangerousDave_87 8 Nov 2018 12:27:13 5,239 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    How old were you folk when you started gaming? I was 4 and my first games were Sonic (Mega Drive), Bubble Bobble and original Zelda. If I ever have children, they'll be introduced to those kinds of games first. Potentially difficult, but easy to grasp and play.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 8 Nov 2018 12:47:36 319 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    I was about 12. That was when I got a pong clone. They didn't really exist when I was younger.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 8 Nov 2018 12:59:18 4,527 posts
    Seen 24 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I was three. Falcon Patrol, Motor Mania, Manic Miner, Revenge of the Mutant Camels, Forbidden Forest and so on, all on the C64.
  • waggy79 8 Nov 2018 13:53:50 1,897 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I was 4 and the first games I remember playing were Vultures, Bonka, the Cuthbert series, Manic Miner/Jet Set and Donkey King on the Dragon 32.

Edited by waggy79 at 13:54:52 08-11-2018
  • Graxlar_v3 8 Nov 2018 14:45:07 4,437 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    i was 3 or 4, playing super mario bros on the NES.
  • DJCopa 8 Nov 2018 15:04:39 1,659 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Is Skylanders still a thing? My boy loved that at 5 and will still have a go now at 8 but not sure if it's a dead franchise.
  • Technoishmatt 8 Nov 2018 15:32:45 2,937 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    When I was 4 or 5 I got one of those books full of code that you could type up yourself to produce your own game, on a BBC Micro.

And then there was Chuckie Egg.
  • THFourteen 8 Nov 2018 16:58:42 49,987 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I can't remember to be honest. i remember my dad buying me a Sony MSX Hitbit thing maybe i was around 9 or 10?

We had two games on it (river raid and something else) but mainly he used to type up basic programmes from the user manual for me to muck around with

Then he bought me my first computer (386 SX) when i was 13. I mainly played stuff like Ultima, Monkey Island, loads and loads of Sierra games.
  • DangerousDave_87 8 Nov 2018 21:34:48 5,239 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @DJCopa Skylanders is dead.
  • DJCopa 9 Nov 2018 12:52:03 1,659 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @DangerousDave_87 Ah well.

Looks like you can still buy the kits though and figures are cheap at Game/CEX.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Nov 2018 15:08:50 4,527 posts
    Seen 24 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    What happened to Skylanders, then? It felt for a while like it was the biggest thing going in kids' gaming and it was taking up half the floorspace in the average Game. Then Disney Infinity and Lego Universe came out and went broke and the toys-to-life market just seemed to collapse. Fatigue? Over-saturation?
  • Carlo 9 Nov 2018 16:20:29 20,354 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    CalamityJames wrote:
    Currently, I'm leaning towards getting him Starlink with all the spaceship gubbins.
    Don;t need the extra ships, and if you use extra guns it actually makes it harder as teh puzzle's will factor in you have weapons with different damage types.

Just saying!
  • DakeyrasUK 9 Nov 2018 16:28:13 2,046 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DangerousDave_87 wrote:
    How old were you folk when you started gaming? I was 4 and my first games were Sonic (Mega Drive), Bubble Bobble and original Zelda. If I ever have children, they'll be introduced to those kinds of games first. Potentially difficult, but easy to grasp and play.
    One of the reasons I so wanted the snes mini.

Was my first console, my dad had a zx spectrum and I played a few games previously on that and my brother had an amiga 500 that I played a lot on. But by the time I was 9 or 10 I was all over link to the past, super Mario world et Al.

My boy will learn from these classics why he should not waste his time with fortnite and fifa ultimate!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.