Following Pokemon letís go (no not that letís go) Page 5

• nickthegun 17 Jan 2019 11:28:13 78,560 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It's 50 (or whatever) total, so you can do it with a bag full of caterpie if you want, so it's never a grind.

At least it shouldn't be. If you don't have enough pokemans to fulfil a request, you're probably going to end up underlevelled for the next gym as just catching wild pokemans gives you more XP than battling trainers.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 17 Jan 2019 11:31:00 1,267 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @The_Goon The NPC provided pokemon have "Amazing" stats, so are worth getting for that reason alone.

Catching more of the same type of pokemon gives you a catch combo which gives more XP, but also a higher chance of better stat pokeon, shinies and rares.
  • the_milkybar_kid 17 Jan 2019 11:43:45 8,035 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I haven't been catching every Pokemon, more just catching the ones I haven't come across yet. Mount Moon was quite good for that. Literally only just fought Misty so quite early into it.
  • The_Goon 17 Jan 2019 12:16:02 1,351 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    GuybrushFreepwood wrote:
    @The_Goon The NPC provided pokemon have "Amazing" stats, so are worth getting for that reason alone.

Catching more of the same type of pokemon gives you a catch combo which gives more XP, but also a higher chance of better stat pokeon, shinies and rares.
    Ah that's good to know. Figured there was something like that. Will tell the boy.
  • DJCopa 17 Jan 2019 12:29:09 2,009 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sooooo, any tips on beating Grimer or Muck (I forget which)? Doing the teleport bit and came across a professor with either Grimer or Muck and got nailed. Nothing worked..any specific Pokemon or move that will help?

\hooked on this - my son is not happy as I'm ahead of him now :)
  • Graxlar_v3 17 Jan 2019 12:36:54 7,731 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @DJCopa psychic Pokemon are super strong against them.
  • DJCopa 17 Jan 2019 12:38:10 2,009 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 Cheers - Starting to realise I need to power up others and not just depend on my Pikachu.
  • Graxlar_v3 17 Jan 2019 12:42:12 7,731 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @DJCopa have you been capturing lots Pokemon as itís a good way of levelling your team
  • nickthegun 17 Jan 2019 12:58:40 78,560 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I dragged the magikarp you can buy at the start around until it turned into an 'amazing' gyrados that stayed in my team for the rest of the game.
  • DJCopa 17 Jan 2019 13:03:28 2,009 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 I have, but not changed my party as much as I should.

Got the sleeping Snorlax added now, and will mix it up a bit more tonight.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 17 Jan 2019 13:16:58 1,267 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @DJCopa I just nailed that with the spacial moves from my Evee. Glitzy glow would be what you need for it ideally, but I think I just lightning'd it.
  • DJCopa 17 Jan 2019 13:24:37 2,009 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @GuybrushFreepwood Don't have Evee, as of yet, but cheers for heads up.

My Vileplume and Mega Drain is usually my go to, but does nowt on this one. Think I'll try my Mr Mime, who is Psychic and see how that fairs...

It's an odd game, in that it is quite (very) repetitive but keeps me coming back for more. NOt really playing anything else at the mo.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 17 Jan 2019 13:32:47 1,267 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @DJCopa Ahh...just realised you're playing Let's Go Pikachu. The moves I'm on about are only available for your partner in Let's Go Evee.
  • nickthegun 17 Jan 2019 14:10:27 78,560 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    They kind of ruined the game for me. I had electric which is a guaranteed paralyse, water which steals health, dark which buffs defense against physical and psychic which buffs against special.

My eevee could steamroller teams by itself and one shot 90% of everything it came up against.
  • DJCopa 17 Jan 2019 14:44:14 2,009 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I can see that happening soon for me as well - First real bit of competition I've had, and I'm straight on here asking for tips!
  • PazJohnMitch 31 Jan 2019 09:52:46 14,649 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Traded in a few games and got LG: Eevee.

I like it in a nostalgic way. It must be the easiest RPG ever made though. So far I am 5 hours in, 3 Gyms down and 45 Pokes collected. I have not used a single healing item.
  • PazJohnMitch 31 Jan 2019 09:55:13 14,649 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I dragged the magikarp you can buy at the start around until it turned into an 'amazing' gyrados that stayed in my team for the rest of the game.
    I carried it until the day care centre. Figured that was an easier way to evolve it.
  • OllyJ 18 Feb 2019 08:01:07 4,539 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ok I'm enjoying the game a lot...but I'm ashamed to say I find the battling really confusing, it all seems a bit random...is there any level of tactics to it at all?

I'm also quite a way through the game, I just haven't figured out how to battle well enough, I'm either one shotting everything or stuck in an endless loop of getting battered...
  • nickthegun 18 Feb 2019 08:16:08 78,560 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Very, very basically it's rock, paper, scissors.

https://m.ign.com/wikis/pokemon-red-blue-yellow-version/Pokemon_Types

Every pokeman is strong against something and weak against something, so you shouldn't stack a team with the same types, unlike the gym leaders.

For example, my endgame team was, technically, rubbish because I had all of the legendary birds in it. They are all super strong, 'amazing' pokeman but because they are all Flying type, which is weak against rock, the team can be decimated by a single geodude.
  • OllyJ 18 Feb 2019 08:44:49 4,539 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @nickthegun OK, so my party should have at least one of each type?

Looking at how slow you level up it's impossible (without investing 1000's of hours) to really have the perfect team for every battle right?

I have 3 gyms to defeat until I guess I move onto the endgame sp should I go about having a balanced team even if it means some of them will be fairly low level?
  • nickthegun 18 Feb 2019 11:12:43 78,560 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Unless you are playing other people relatively seriously, this game is pretty easy, so just pick the ones you like and try not to have more than a couple of the same type so you can deal with a most things that crop up.

It's easy to stack with one type, though. A lot of the better pokeman are water type, for example, so it's tempting to just throw them all in.
  • OllyJ 18 Feb 2019 11:29:55 4,539 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ha ok, I think it's more I keep getting locked into the CPU taking the first turn and getting my team wiped.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 18 Feb 2019 11:32:59 1,267 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Or, if you have the Evee version, just use that as your main and it can beat almost everything on its own.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 18 Feb 2019 11:37:36 1,267 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    And for speed, make sure you upgrade your pokemon with the items you pick up. That should make them have higher initiative.. usually.
  • Graxlar_v3 18 Feb 2019 11:53:30 7,731 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @OllyJ What is your team and who are you facing?

It is not possible to get the perfect team composition but you can get a pretty good spread.

I have only ever played the pokemon story so there are a lot of nuances that are lost on me but...

my key recommendations - good strong psychic type pokemon - a fire or dragon type, water and electric. The other two i used grass and ghost.

Honestly, my alakazam carried my team through more fights than i care to admit but he is a bit of a glass cannon.

It is also good to look t who you are up against and try to ensure your starting pokemon is ideally strong but most importantly not weak against that type.

Lastly, i think there are items that can increase your pokemons speed.
  • Graxlar_v3 18 Feb 2019 11:55:42 7,731 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I actually beat pokemon blue with catching only 6 pokemon before (and using no more than 3 in battle - the other 3 were HM mules)

Charizard - Gary dos and Kadabra are OP as fuck.
  • PazJohnMitch 18 Feb 2019 11:59:00 14,649 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I do not think I was ever in a fight where the CPU attacked first. (Unless they used Quick Attack).

Also as it is really easy to catch Pokťmon there is no need for a full reset. Just go and catch something the CPU fighter is weak against.
  • PazJohnMitch 18 Feb 2019 12:00:46 14,649 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I may have broken the game a little by importing a Mewtwo at the half way point though. (It killed the entire elite 4 in its own).
  • OllyJ 18 Feb 2019 13:25:58 4,539 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 It was actually Blue in the Silph Co. building that I was struggling with, I'm just stocking up on potions and revives and I seem to get through, even if it's messy.

Coming off playing Stick of Truth, I actualy thought that turn based system worked really well.

Still, I'm at 25 hours in Let's go and far from tired of it.
  • Graxlar_v3 18 Feb 2019 13:42:35 7,731 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @OllyJ is this at the start of Silph tower?

He has an executor which is psychic and grass (so fire is super effective against it) and a charizard (so water)

You should try and have at least one fire or water pokemon in your team.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.