The Forest PS4

• Theshape80 16 Nov 2018 12:44:21 147 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    This has been out a little over a week now. Never played the PC version but so far having a great time with this. Really smart AI has me struggling to make it past day 3 solo. Fantastic atmosphere and can be pretty terrifying during the night! Probably the best survival game you can play on PS4 at the minute.
  • DUFFMAN5 16 Nov 2018 13:06:33 24,167 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Coincidentally I did have a look at that this very morning. Looked ok. I think I will wait for around the £8 mark. I have bought many good indys off psn when they have a sale on.
    I did go for The Vanishing of C, it was under £5 I think.

The best indy I have ever bought from psn still belongs to EGttR. It is sublime.
  • spindle9988 16 Nov 2018 13:06:54 4,848 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ooooooooo

Haven't heard of this but will now have a look
  • neilka 16 Nov 2018 13:07:25 22,459 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    What's the draw distance like?
  • challenge_hanukkah 16 Nov 2018 13:10:55 9,974 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    A Fortnite.
  • Theshape80 16 Nov 2018 13:14:06 147 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @neilka during the day itís pretty good. At night, itís about 3 foot! It gets dark, really ramps up the tension.
  • billythekid 16 Nov 2018 13:14:27 12,321 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    Shit, you can't see the woods with all the trees in the way.
  • andy10 16 Nov 2018 13:15:15 316 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 I'm always happy to see you advocating EGttR - one of my favourite games this generation. Ethan Carter is good but doesn't quite reach the same heights.

I'm interested in The Forest but was slightly put off by a recent blog post on the PS EU site. The developer's '8 top tips' for survival seemed to be mostly centred around killing everyone or everything in sight. Is it really that combat-heavy?
  • DUFFMAN5 16 Nov 2018 13:15:27 24,167 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    billythekid wrote:
    neilka wrote:
    Shit, you can't see the wood FOR THE trees in the way.
    ;)
  • billythekid 16 Nov 2018 13:18:19 12,321 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    billythekid wrote:
    neilka wrote:
    Shit, you can't see the wood FOR THE trees in the way.
    ;)
    It was supposed to be inaccurate ;)
  • DUFFMAN5 16 Nov 2018 13:18:45 24,167 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @billythekid
    :)
  • Theshape80 16 Nov 2018 13:26:39 147 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @andy10 the longer you survive the harder it will get. Your not attacked constantly though. Your scouted, taunted into traps etc. There is a peaceful mode though if you prefer that.
  • captain-Snufkin 16 Nov 2018 18:15:19 779 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    andy10 wrote:

I'm interested in The Forest but was slightly put off by a recent blog post on the PS EU site. The developer's '8 top tips' for survival seemed to be mostly centred around killing everyone or everything in sight. Is it really that combat-heavy?
    It seems like one of those games you should just jump in and see what happens. It's been on my radar for ages, and I'm much more relaxed about stuff like this rather than "Winning" everything nowadays. Especially with games like Don't Starve and Invisible, I find the surprises cooler anyway.
  • erasr 31 Jan 2019 19:40:37 275 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This is £8.99 on psn store at the moment. Has anyone played it in Co Op online and is it good?
  • Paulanator 23 Feb 2019 18:49:37 613 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I wish the devs would implement a patch so that the mutants/cannibals would only come out and attack at night. Would make it a lot less frustrating and a lot more tense!

The day could be your time to build, gather supplies and explore and then then as night approached you'd race back to camp to defend yourselves etc.

At the moment, it just feels like a constant onslaught of enemies and it makes getting anything done feel like a real chore.
  • Paulanator 23 Feb 2019 18:49:38 613 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Post deleted
  • SteveHolt 24 Feb 2019 09:19:36 458 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Paulanator wrote:
    I wish the devs would implement a patch so that the mutants/cannibals would only come out and attack at night. Would make it a lot less frustrating and a lot more tense!

The day could be your time to build, gather supplies and explore and then then as night approached you'd race back to camp to defend yourselves etc.

At the moment, it just feels like a constant onslaught of enemies and it makes getting anything done feel like a real chore.

Disclaimer: I haven't finished the game yet.

It's not that kind of game, IMO. From my experience, it's all about the caves. That's where the good loot is, and this is where you can advance the story. The forest itself is just sort of there, and you could argue that building anything is kind of pointless. The mutants will attack whenever you build something siginficant, and, unless you exploit the AI (cannibals and mutants can't swim), it's impossible to protect your base efficiently in single player.

It's more of a good but not great survival horror game TBH.

Edited by SteveHolt at 09:30:38 24-02-2019
  • Paulanator 24 Feb 2019 09:51:20 613 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @SteveHolt That's sort of my point though. The constant, never-ending attack by the enemy makes building anything meaningful a real chore. But just by making a simple change the devs could fix that.

The base building is so deep in this game, it seems a shame that players are almost discouraged from using it because of the near constant frustration of attack.

Apparently by entering a cheat code on the main menu, you can enable a mode whereby the enemy only come out from the caves at night and a lot of people on the Reddit were saying that it felt like the way the game should be played. The functionality is there, it must just surely be a simple case of adding a proper toggle in the menu by the Devs.

Edited by Paulanator at 09:52:19 24-02-2019

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.