The Unofficial Health Thread

First Previous
  • GuybrushFreepwood 18 Nov 2018 11:19:00 956 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    I've reached (and passed by a few years) an age where I realise I need to put some effort into my body and mind as it's at risk of atrophy. So I'm creating a thread for health and mental wellbeing tips and discussion. I realise it may end up only I use it but what the hell, I won't be the first.

I've spent the last week using Headspace (mindfulness app) and I want to use it for six weeks in a row. I normally fail after two weeks. I'm also doing an NHS cbt based course in overcoming anxiety which is helping. I'm also trying to eat better and live better and I'm reading up on the subject.

In my course, I have to make a couple of goals. I think I'm going to go for a week without gaming (unless it's family) and a week without the Internet (aside from amazon and sites I have to use like paying bills). So, this will be the last time I post here for a week.

I'll be curious to see if I can do either and the effect it has. Currently there are other things I want to do with my life and that's been the case for ages, yet I 'never have the time'. I realised recently I'm spending over twenty hours a week on the Internet and a ton of time gaming. Neither are on my bucket list and neither is making me that happy.

So I hope to fill the time with things I do want to do such as learn an instrument, touch type, spend time with my family,read a book etc. I've had too much on my to do list for years. I might even learn yoga.

So, see you in a week. I expect this to be harder than I think pathetically enough.
  • monkman76 18 Nov 2018 11:23:47 14,722 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My body's at risk of a trophy.
    /flexes
  • David_Richardson 18 Nov 2018 11:26:04 1,200 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Small, incremental changes are best. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, you are a much greater chance of falling into old routines that way. Good luck.

Edited by David_Richardson at 11:26:17 18-11-2018
  • smoothpete 18 Nov 2018 11:26:06 35,767 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Exercise more, eat better, be kind to people.
  • neilka 18 Nov 2018 13:02:20 22,536 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
  • Dolly 18 Nov 2018 13:59:58 3,514 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I read an article a article a few years ago about a group of scientists who had supposedly discovered the solution to achieving true happiness. Most people cruise along life at a pretty consistent rate, things like new cars, jobs, houses cause a small temporary raise in happiness, but then you tend to fall back down to the same level you were at previously.
    The way that they found to truly change your happiness levels long term was to do things for others that caused them to be happy. The reason why hairdressers and the like are consistently found to be the happiest in their jobs is for this very reason, they're doing that every day.
    I started doing random things like I had 2x premier league tickets that i couldn't make the game for. Usually I'd sell them on to someone very easily, but I decided to do a Facebook post asking if anyone knew of a fan of my team who'd had a tough year, maybe lost a family member or were in ill health etc that might want them for free.
    The tickets ended up going to a friend of a friend's young lad who'd had a colostomy bag fitted and was getting bullied at school for it (kids are such cunts, I mean ffs). Never met the lad, but he sent me a lovely thank you letter and pictures of him at the match with his mum afterwards. It was literally one of the best feelings in the world when I got that letter and I've tried to do other stuff like that since, makes ya feel fucking boss.
    Doesn't have to cost much, even just saying hello to old people in the queue at the shops or whatever. Most of the time you might be the only human interaction they've had that day so far, it's worth the 1 in 10 who look at you like you're mental or a mugger, the other 9/10 will fucking love it.

/not meant to be a stealth 'aren't i great' post, just saying what's made me happier
  • Murbs 18 Nov 2018 15:01:23 24,239 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Dolly bloody wonderful gesture. Lovely stuff

Edited by Murbs at 15:02:25 18-11-2018
  • Alastair 18 Nov 2018 19:30:02 23,562 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Try to go out for a half hour walk every day.
  • Alastair 18 Nov 2018 19:30:58 23,562 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    And if you can, make it somewhere peaceful like a canal or park, woods etc.
    Stop, and enjoy the peace and quiet and birdsong.
  • fontgeeksogood 18 Nov 2018 19:35:47 6,084 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Note that Unfriendly user Alastair does not advocate being kind to people.

Just an FYI for the end of year party and voting
  • THFourteen 18 Nov 2018 19:53:37 51,988 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    One thing i'll say is, and i'm not saying its the case for you, but its worth saying : don't let other people dictate what you should be doing with your time or what should make you happy.

Try to do everything in moderation is a better way of doing things than cold turkey.

We did a session on introverts and extroverts a couple of years ago at work, and it was enlightening for me. Basically if i were to spend every minute of every day having to interact with people it would physically exhaust me, and i need alone/down time to recover.

So actually, only going out with friends twice a week, and declining daily invites to "come for a couple after work", is way more what my head needs than trying to become something i am not.

As for gaming not making you happy, that's a shame. I spend 2 hours on average a day gaming and i think i do enjoy it and it does make me happy. As does being a materialistic twat and buying stupid things i don't need.
  • Alastair 18 Nov 2018 20:52:50 23,562 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    Note that Unfriendly user Alastair does not advocate being kind to people.

Just an FYI for the end of year party and voting
    Being happy in yourself makes it easier to be kind to people, spiky user formerly known as PES_fanboy.
    One step at a time...
    xxx
  • Frogofdoom 18 Nov 2018 20:53:57 13,262 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That's it, I am voting Ror this year.
  • mrpon 19 Nov 2018 07:02:37 35,219 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Try to go out for a half hour wank every day.
  • challenge_hanukkah 19 Nov 2018 07:20:20 10,760 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Push it up to 45 minutes if it was Ready Brek for breakfast.
  • DUFFMAN5 19 Nov 2018 07:31:51 24,548 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    "Thread" in the title, does this man not remember "Thread Gate" I lost many a new topic to that one!

As for the topic. I would love to get Testosterone injections like our American cousins get! A good few of us on here are 40+ and as such we have fuck all testosterone left, we need it to be healthy. We hit a men-opause just like the ladies do. I want my guns back!!! I could go to the Gym I'm paying monthly for, of course but that is not the point.

As I get older I find I have so little concentration for almost anything, even things I enjoy doing, that really is pretty sad actually, just can't motivate myself.

@Dolly, lovely stuff.

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 07:35:16 19-11-2018
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 19 Nov 2018 07:33:23 19,802 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Have you tried drawing a dick? Or even better multiple dicks. A nest of tangled dicks. Whenever I'm feeling down drawing dicks will make me feel instantly better.
  • DUFFMAN5 19 Nov 2018 07:34:40 24,548 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Decks
    "Cock-cat"
  • challenge_hanukkah 19 Nov 2018 07:45:47 10,760 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I find the rejuvenating qualities of cocaine always an instant pick me up. Really gives me that get up and go I need when I'm of a mind to inflict my malignant narcissism on anyone and everyone I come across.
  • Alastair 19 Nov 2018 07:59:18 23,562 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Try to go out for a half hour wank every day.
    This can also work.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 25 Nov 2018 10:43:37 956 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Back.

Cost me a flipping fortune on Amazon as that's the only website I allowed myself to go on (what with it being black Friday and all), but I did it. I did find I spent much too long looking at crap that I didn't really need and looking at the pros and cons of each. I realised I was a bit addicted to the Internet and my phone.

Not gaming was hard as we have a group of us at work who have switches and are playing Diablo. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy gaming, otherwise,why am I here? But I've found I use it to avoid the things I should be doing and when I do stop playing I've found I'm grumpy for a while after.

So, what did I achieve / learn?

I've learnt I'm addicted to the Internet. I looked at utter rubbish on amazon while convincing myself that this was a serious purchase I was considering. That's concerning and something I'll deal with. I managed to do more chores and faced things I've been avoiding (not the tax return yet...).

I also feel clearer headed (less brain fog), happier, less stressed and my eyes are less gritty at the end of the day. I've picked up my violin for the first time in years. I've read a lot. I'm taking more care of myself.

So, it's been good. It's confirmed my addiction to the Internet (your brain gets a dopamine hit every time you Google or hit f5). Thankfully Christmas shopping is now all done, so no more excuse for being there. The only other site I use is this place.

Oh and a podcast I listened to suggested the following things for happiness :

1. Exercise (especially outdoors)
    2. Mindfulness
    3. Eating better
    4. Helping others
    5. Practicing gratitude
    6. Reflection on the good in each day

I'm doing well in three of them, but have to work on 1, 5 & 6.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 19 Feb 2019 12:33:57 956 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Thought I'd bump this rather than the Depression thread.

Since my last post I attended a group Transdiagnostic Cognitive Behavioural Therapy course for emotional disorders (social anxiety / GAD in my case). This was a self referral via IAPT (Improving Access to Psychological Therapies) and is 12 weeks of 2 hours a week plus homework.

I can honestly say that this course has been life changing and would recommend it to anyone who suffers from Anxiety (it also works for Depression). There were a dozen of there and we worked through material that is based on the book Unified Protocol for Transdiagnostic Treatment of Emotional Disorders by Barlow and others. It showed me that worrying does not help like I thought it did and nor do the coping / avoidance mechanisms which I'd unwittingly picked up during my life. I went into the Therapy at my wit's end and in a very dark place, I left feeling like I had hope. Obviously I've spent many years getting myself in the mental mess I am in, so it will take longer than 12 weeks to get back to "normal" (or as close as I can get), but it has given me the tools to continue to improve.

It taught me to understand that I am not helping myself by trying to bury or fight the emotions that have been rising within me and that I should instead "face the fear and do it anyway" (in a controlled exposure sort of way) as otherwise I face a very real risk of becoming agoraphobic.

Anyway, I would highly, highly recommend this course (and the book which I am now working through). It is free and available from the NHS.

Aside from this I am still doing mindfulness and I'm eating far more organic fruit and veg. I started yoga (something I've been meaning to do for years) in January and I'm amazed at the change it is having on me. I am also journal-ling and working through a book which helps you understand your internal thinking. I've listened to a lot of "self help" books of varying quality but found the Compassionate Mind good. It helped me realise that constant criticism from my parents had led me to being extremely self critical. I'm no longer self critical and last time my dad started down the slagging me off route, I stopped him and said that he was wrong and that I was not what he said.

He's not spoke to me since, but that is his problem and he needs to back off and realise I'm in my 50's and not 5. I am not perfect, but I am a lot better than he's ever given me credit.

Through all this, I'm in a much better place emotionally and I am a lot more resilient. I'm still a work in progress but as I say I have hope now and a direction.

Thought I'd let people know about the IAPT course as it really was incredibly eye opening and transformational for all that attended it (and stuck with it... some left after a week).

Hope it helps someone. I post less here now as I am focusing more on what are the core things I want in life and "I wish I'd posted more crap on Eurogamer" is unlikely to be a death bed regret :)
  • Dougs 26 Feb 2019 18:29:28 89,219 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Am recovering on the ward after my procedure to try and fix my heart arrhythmia, all seemed to go well. Now left with a headache from the general anaesthetic and a bad back from lyi;g flat for 4 hours but otherwise OK. Looking forward to getting out tomorrow, fingers crossed!

You'll all have to wait to grab my stuff.
  • Armoured_Bear 26 Feb 2019 19:00:11 26,738 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Am recovering on the ward after my procedure to try and fix my heart arrhythmia, all seemed to go well. Now left with a headache from the general anaesthetic and a bad back from lyi;g flat for 4 hours but otherwise OK. Looking forward to getting out tomorrow, fingers crossed!

You'll all have to wait to grab my stuff.
    Get well soon Dougs!
  • Tomo 26 Feb 2019 19:10:36 16,579 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    GuybrushFreepwood wrote:

*snip*

This is great, thanks for sharing! Only just read it...

And GL Dougs!
  • Trowel 26 Feb 2019 19:17:25 22,539 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Watching Arsenal gives you palpatations - who knew.

Get well soon Dougs!
  • Dougs 26 Feb 2019 19:27:48 89,219 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Can't say I'm looking forward to the NLD on Saturday, that's for sure! May give it a swerve!
  • Armoured_Bear 26 Mar 2019 17:46:32 26,738 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I was vomiting and had the shits right through the night, have spent the day in bed, sleeping on and off. Barfing seems to have stopped but the runs are still there.
    Poor little bunny :(
  • challenge_hanukkah 26 Mar 2019 17:49:23 10,760 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That's tonight's dinner sorted then.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.