Biggest flaw in the console: Joycon Drift?

First Previous
  • Evasion 21 Nov 2018 01:13:50 31 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    How many of you have had the infamous Joycon Drift? It seems to be a relatively common thing that impacts quite a few Switch players. (Just try searching for the phrase on a search engine.)

Basically it's where the analog stick (usually the left?) seems to register movement even when you don't press on it, and it can be irritating, but I would imagine that it would be particularly terrible if you're playing a game that demands precision and timing. (I wonder how players deal with drift during something like Celeste or Hyper Light Drifter, which seem to require a lot of skill.)

I feel like this drifting issue is easily the biggest flaw in an otherwise excellent console. Has Nintendo actually talked about it at all? I haven't heard of it being fixed, even in the latest joycons, which is unfortunate.

Edited by Evasion at 01:14:49 21-11-2018
  • Deleted user 21 November 2018 07:38:28
    And the man at the door said
    It's the biggest flaw and it turned into a joycon drift
    And the girl with the Switch said
    The left stick is a bitch, it'll turn into a joycon drift

Joycon drift
  • neilka 21 Nov 2018 07:40:32 22,645 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'd say it's the fact that it's got no games.
  • macmurphy 21 Nov 2018 08:04:13 3,927 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Id go for that its underpowered so no AAA ports from other systems.

That and actually using it as a handheld hurts my hand.
  • crashVoodoo 21 Nov 2018 08:04:51 6,346 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @JanetSnakehole ha, nice
  • el_pollo_diablo 21 Nov 2018 10:07:04 2,964 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I got my Switch on launch day, and this drift issue has just in the past week started happening to my left joycon. What do Nintendo say when you call them up and moan?
  • Zyrr 21 Nov 2018 10:10:42 395 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    JanetSnakehole wrote:
    And the man at the door said
    It's the biggest flaw and it turned into a joycon drift
    And the girl with the Switch said
    The left stick is a bitch, it'll turn into a joycon drift

Joycon drift
    :D
  • DangerousDave_87 21 Nov 2018 11:06:42 6,310 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @el_pollo_diablo Your best bet it's contacting the place you purchased it from if you want immediate action. Nintendo will have you sends it away for 2 - 4 weeks for repair.

However, it can be cleaned if you can blast some air into the analog stick effected. If you have a look at it up close, you can how easily they can trap dust and it can be fixed petty easy.
  • el_pollo_diablo 21 Nov 2018 11:40:18 2,964 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @DangerousDave_87 I might try the air blast, thanks. Pretty sure it was an Amazon purchase, and I'm not sure what they'd say about an 18 month old console controller.
  • Armoured_Bear 21 Nov 2018 11:41:29 27,324 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    macmurphy wrote:
    Id go for that its underpowered so no AAA ports from other systems.

That and actually using it as a handheld hurts my hand.
    How on Earth is it underpowered as a Hybrid system?
  • minky-kong 21 Nov 2018 11:44:15 14,349 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DON'T FEED THE BEARS!
  • Mola_Ram 21 Nov 2018 11:49:50 21,170 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ♬Hey I just bought you
    And this is crazy
    But here's your Joycon
    It's driftin' maybe ♬
  • macmurphy 21 Nov 2018 11:52:25 3,927 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear

I know. I shouldn't expect so much from what's basically a glorified tablet.

• macmurphy 21 Nov 2018 11:56:47 3,927 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear

On a more serious note I understand the concessions Nintendo have made. I solely own a Switch and it suits me being able to travel around with it. At the same time I used to have a 3DS and I could live with using that and Nintendo finally just making a home console that's powered the same as its competitors so I don't have to always feel slightly left out when RDR or the next Battlefield comes out.

Still think the peak was the Gamecube when I got first party goodness but also stuff like Timesplitters and Burnout. But hey, I'm sure Ps4 owners occasionally glance over at Mariokart and Zelda and feel the green eyed monster. We've done this to death, I'll take the compromises on the chin.

It definitely knacks my hands though.
  • Mola_Ram 21 Nov 2018 12:04:02 21,170 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ♬Drift up
    To the top
    Now the walkin' won't stop

Tonight
    Lost a fight
    'cause the stick now drifts right

Drift up
    To the top
    No the driftin' won't stop no

Woah woah woah woah woah ♬
  • Rivuzu 21 Nov 2018 12:07:48 18,203 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I wonder if you know
    How they joycon in Tokyo
    If you seen it then you mean it
    Then you know you have to go.
    Nintendo Switch! (Kitaa!) (Drift, Drift, Drift)
    Nintendo Switch! (Kitaa!) (Drift, Drift, Drift)
  • Mola_Ram 21 Nov 2018 12:11:06 21,170 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Is that the one that doesn't have Vin Diesel in it?
  • Rivuzu 21 Nov 2018 12:12:12 18,203 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Think so, it's been too long and frankly the only thing I can remember is that fucking song.
  • Switch024 21 Nov 2018 12:13:17 3,394 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've just received my Joy-Con back from Nintendo after sending them off to be repaired, the left one still isn't perfect although I think it's more it losing connection for a split second rather than drift. It seems fine when it's being used in handheld.
  • Frogofdoom 21 Nov 2018 12:19:45 13,910 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @macmurphy you aren't the only one who finds it a bit uncomfortable in handheld mode. There is a reason that controllers aren't made rectangular as it's not great for your wrists.
  • GrandpaUlrira 21 Nov 2018 12:28:55 3,824 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Do people experience this when the controllers are attached in handheld mode? I have a new console and experienced issues when the console is docked, but usually because there wasn't clear line of sight between the joycons and console. In my case it was that it behaved as if the stick was still pressed, and also did not register button presses.
  • macmurphy 21 Nov 2018 12:29:12 3,927 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Frogofdoom

Really hurt and I think it was cumulative - like once they've started hurting they hurt instantly the next time I pick it up. Was fine with games that aren't movement intensive, so Stardew or Even Zelda was fine. But Isaac used to break me. It's fine, I always play it on a stand with a pro pad now and I can still play it handheld for the odd hour or two.

For me my wrists were fine but it was my right thumb and whatever that joint is.
  • Spectral 21 Nov 2018 12:29:46 6,282 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Drift is a common problem across all analogue sticks. It wouldn't be too much of an issue if they allowed you to manually adjust the dead zone.
  • DangerousDave_87 21 Nov 2018 13:03:44 6,310 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @GrandpaUlrira I think you're talking about a weak Bluetooth connection, rather than drifting. If the console momentarily loses connection with a joy con, it starts to ignore all inputs (unless an analog stick has been used, in which case it that input remains constant) until a connection is established again. Many folk struggled with it in Zelda as Link would continue running in the last direction given.

Drifting is where the analog stick thinks an input has been provided (usually a very light input) resulting in a slow or twitchy movement in a random direction. It's usually dust under the tiny flap below the stick itself. It can usually be fixed with a blast of air under the flap, but a couple of folk on these forums have had the problem persist.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 21 Nov 2018 13:11:14 6,352 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The ergonomics of Nintendo controllers have always been pretty awful (though the current-gen Pro controller is mostly-ok). I think the worst was the Wii-U gamepad. For most of the Wii-U's lifespan, I never really sat down and played anything on it for long sessions. That changed with Xenoblade Chronicles X. After a Saturday spent playing that pretty heavily, I ended up with my hand so sore that it was tough to write or type for the next few days. A combination of the weight of the gamepad and how it distributed that weight across your hands made it an ergonomic nightmare.

The Switch is pretty bad in handheld mode, though not as bad as the Wii-U gamepad was (and the joycons are awful). There is a reason why most modern controllers have "wings" on the side that you grip your hands around. They're there to prevent you from cramping your hands into positions that can cause serious discomfort.

Handhelds have long struggled with this issue, as size is obviously a key issue for them and they don't really want bulky plastic "wings". Of the handhelds I've used, the Vita was the least-bad, as its grip positions encouraged you to grip it with your whole hand, rather than just the fingertips.
  • Duffking 21 Nov 2018 13:11:36 16,295 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Spectral the joycon issue is rather different, mainly in that it takes an age to return to center in game even when the stick is very clearly centered in reality. It can take 2-3 seconds for it to stop registering a directional input after moving the stick to the centre sometimes.
  • Fake_Blood 21 Nov 2018 15:11:46 9,653 posts
    Seen 16 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I heard you can buy 3rd party joycons these days, Id buy one of those, especially as theres one with a real d-pad in place of the 4 separate buttons.
  • UncleLou Moderator 21 Nov 2018 15:20:55 40,158 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I had the drifting problem, bit of alcohol* and compressed air fixed it.

*Once you're totally shit-faced, there's so much natural drift in your vision that a bit of joycon drift barely matters.

I can look for the youtube video I used as a guide if anyone cares.
  • Deleted user 21 November 2018 15:21:38
    There's a lady who's sure
    All that's Nintendo is gold
    But she's buying a third party joycon
    When she gets it she knows
    If the left stick miscontrols
    With a word she can get a replacement
    Oh oh oh oooooooh and she's buying a third party joycon
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.