Smash bros ultimate is an unplayable laggy mess, just like the last one. Page 5

Next Last
  • askew 1 Feb 2019 21:56:54 19,784 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    This game is mental. Finished the classic mode and then the game turns into a shmup as the credits scroll by.
  • The_Goon 8 Feb 2019 11:35:17 1,351 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Its a Nintendo game. Kids seem to love it. Will be a good game to play with the boy. It must be simple. - my thoughts before opening and play SSB.

Wtf is going on? I dont know what is happening! How do I win? What are all the modes? Which spirit should I use? Why is this so inaccessible???? How can I help the boy play it if I cant even play it?? - my thoughts after playing SSB.

Chaps, I need help. Any tips?
  • neilka 8 Feb 2019 11:37:23 22,658 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It sold 12 million copies, you must just be enjoying it wrong.
  • askew 8 Feb 2019 11:43:36 19,784 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The_Goon wrote:
    Its a Nintendo game. Kids seem to love it. Will be a good game to play with the boy. It must be simple. - my thoughts before opening and play SSB.

Wtf is going on? I dont know what is happening! How do I win? What are all the modes? Which spirit should I use? Why is this so inaccessible???? How can I help the boy play it if I cant even play it?? - my thoughts after playing SSB.

Chaps, I need help. Any tips?
    :lol: I thought this at first, but have been really enjoying the Spirit Board game mode. Tucked away in the settings are various tutorials and guides to the moves, as well as a practice arena.
  • Devilligan 8 Feb 2019 11:45:39 601 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @The_Goon

If you're mostly playing single player, focus on classic mode and world of light. They should help you unlock characters, learn the basics of combat, and get your head around spirits.

Items all seem complicated at first (there are so many of them!) but you gradually get the hang of what they do by, well, using them.

Start out by using simpler characters before graduating to more complex ones. (I found Mario, Link and Samus to be good starter fighters.)

There is a tutorial hidden somewhere in the game. Think it might be in the videos section. dig around and you should find it. It explains all the basics of combat.

The main thing is, don't panic! I found it overwhelming at first as well, but it all begins to fall into place the more you play it.
  • andytheadequate 8 Feb 2019 11:45:57 9,077 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @The_Goon - aim is to knock them off screen. The more damage they take, the more they fly when they are hit. The game just sort of assumes you should know this.

Each character only has a few attacks. One of the buttons is basically a normal attack, and one is generally used to launch an opponent after they have taken more damage. Have a play with the different attacks in practise mode for whatever character you want to use. It's pretty chaotic but starts to make sense eventually.
  • PazJohnMitch 8 Feb 2019 13:27:18 14,649 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @The_Goon

Start with Classic Mode as it is a standard Arcade type mode you can complete.

As said above target is to knock people off the arena without being knocked off. More damage characters have the further they are thrown back by a hit.

B button is special attack. Generally does a lot of damage but nominal push back. (Apart from a few characters like Captain Falcon who have finishers on their B specials).

There are 4 specials for each character achieved by holding up, towards, down or neutral (not touching the stick) and then pressing B. (DKs down B can be used as a cheese on some enemies).

A button used in the way described above is a quick attack and combo button.

A button can also be used as a finisher by initiating a smash attack. This is done by flicking a direction (up, down or towards) and pressing A. These moves can also be charged by holding A to make them more effective or to hold them until an enemy is in range.

To recover most characters can do a triple jump. This is done my pressing Y, Y and the up B. Some characters like Kirby can do more than 2 jumps with Y.

There are also throws and blocks but these are not really needed for the most part. Just get a few hits in then flick towards and A. (A few characters like Olimar can do this attack at range).

Edited by PazJohnMitch at 13:29:56 08-02-2019
  • el_pollo_diablo 9 Feb 2019 20:53:24 2,969 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    @The_Goon

Start with Classic Mode as it is a standard Arcade type mode you can complete.

As said above target is to knock people off the arena without being knocked off. More damage characters have the further they are thrown back by a hit.

B button is special attack. Generally does a lot of damage but nominal push back. (Apart from a few characters like Captain Falcon who have finishers on their B specials).

There are 4 specials for each character achieved by holding up, towards, down or neutral (not touching the stick) and then pressing B. (DKs down B can be used as a cheese on some enemies).

A button used in the way described above is a quick attack and combo button.

A button can also be used as a finisher by initiating a smash attack. This is done by flicking a direction (up, down or towards) and pressing A. These moves can also be charged by holding A to make them more effective or to hold them until an enemy is in range.

To recover most characters can do a triple jump. This is done my pressing Y, Y and the up B. Some characters like Kirby can do more than 2 jumps with Y.

There are also throws and blocks but these are not really needed for the most part. Just get a few hits in then flick towards and A. (A few characters like Olimar can do this attack at range).
    This is all really useful, thank you. Actually unlocked a handful of new people this afternoon now that I get the whole A+Towards to launch enemies off the stage dynamic.

It's a fun game, I think?, but for a game with Kirby and Pikachu in it, it's very newbie unfriendly.
  • macmurphy 17 Aug 2019 11:02:28 3,944 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If anyone else is a spirit collecting OCD loser then all the time limited ones that you might have missed have come back into the rotation.

My collection is complete again and it made me far happier than it should.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.