The Outer Worlds Page 19

• HelloNo 1 Nov 2019 23:01:15 2,190 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Was wondering why I had the dialogue "AHHHHH!" when talking to SAM, then realized its because of the Robot Phobia trait, brilliant!
  • TechnoHippy 2 Nov 2019 20:04:40 17,476 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    My quiet trip to Byzantium for a little espionage didn't go to plan - it turned into a massacre and no corporate guards survived across the whole city.

The early retirement centre was quite a surprise :-)
  • ChiefGB 2 Nov 2019 20:08:10 12,558 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Iíve not had much joy with stealth tbh, that said Iíve not played it for a few days
  • Bichii 2 Nov 2019 20:20:06 3,164 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm just talking everyone to death.

Tonight I've finished Parvati quest line and I'm currently doing the side stuff in Byzantium.

I am enjoying it but at the same time I'm still a bit meh. The characters and dialogue are amazing but most of the rest I'm bored of.
  • Baihu1983 2 Nov 2019 20:22:59 12,459 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Difficulty seems to spike randomly but I'm enjoying it.

Maybe buy the Mass Effect IP for them MS
  • ChiefGB 2 Nov 2019 20:40:19 12,558 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah it is a bit too vanilla, itís a tad too talky at times and the actual quest structure is quite shallow.
    Because of itís smaller maps, many of the quests land on top of each other and thereís less exploration (which of course you can have too much of Bethesda).
    It tends to be, go from this box on the map to this box. So you talk a lot and donít really journey too far at a time. The worlds look rich when you first land but itís all a bit superficial so far.

By no means a bad game of course but falls a tad short, itís balance is a bit too far the other way, like too much story and not enough space (if youíll excuse the pun).
  • ChiefGB 3 Nov 2019 00:18:14 12,558 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    For my shame Iíve gone back to it, this evening and although the comments above tell a story of the game, itís maybe a tad harsh. Perhaps I was too stoned last time and it was a bit too much like busywork.
  • Malek86 3 Nov 2019 07:14:47 10,158 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You aren't wrong though. For a game based much more on quests than combat, these quests are generally too repetitive: talk to this person, try a skill check, and if your stats aren't high enough try the stealth approach (which will almost always work, because stealth in this game is a bit too easy).

You also never get quests out in the world, it's always just from NPCs in settlements, which doesn't encourage you to explore anywhere outside of the marked areas.
  • TechnoHippy 3 Nov 2019 08:26:15 17,476 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I have had a few encounters in the wild that later fed into a mission, but I'd agree that the lack of decent exploration is the game's weakness. However I'm also quite liking an RPG that doesn't rely on its scale to keep you playing. I don't deny that the world is interesting enough to have a bit more size to it.
  • monkehhh 3 Nov 2019 08:45:37 5,229 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Spent a while dicking around in ini files and I think I've got it to a place where I don't feel like I need to get stronger glasses / I'm having a very mild trip.
  • richyroo 3 Nov 2019 08:52:53 446 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have had enough of the game and so Iím gonna stop playing it.

Iím currently at Monarch. I feel like the game is 80% dialogue and 20% gameplay. Every time I start to get into the combat its interrupted again by LOTS of dialogue.

The quests are boring too. 90% of them have been fetch quests and I donít feel like I would of missed anything if I decided to skip them.

I enjoyed the characters, the gunplay, the environments. There just isnít enough actual gameplay for me, and what gameplay there is just isnít varied enough.
  • TechnoHippy 3 Nov 2019 09:45:29 17,476 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Just finished the game and overall I loved it. I enjoyed the summation at the end of how my decisions affected the future of the colony.
  • Carlo 3 Nov 2019 09:49:11 21,321 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    richyroo wrote:
    I have had enough of the game and so Iím gonna stop playing it.

Iím currently at Monarch. I feel like the game is 80% dialogue and 20% gameplay. Every time I start to get into the combat its interrupted again by LOTS of dialogue.

The quests are boring too. 90% of them have been fetch quests and I donít feel like I would of missed anything if I decided to skip them.

I enjoyed the characters, the gunplay, the environments. There just isnít enough actual gameplay for me, and what gameplay there is just isnít varied enough.
    Did you stick on too easy a difficulty? I've heard that people who wanted a stronger gun play aspect set it harder, and didn't put any skills in intimidation, lie, stealth, etc. which forces you into combat scenarios a lot more.

I agree this is a lot of chat over guns, but it might be alleviated if you make some changes as above.
  • quadfather 3 Nov 2019 10:32:19 36,734 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't have issues with it as the story and setting will keep me going throughout, in exactly the same way horizon zero dawn and Prey did. However, if it was exactly the same as a far cry setting, I'd have got bored by now.
  • erasr 3 Nov 2019 11:40:35 432 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sold it. £35 cash. I donít mind paying a tenner to have a go on this given how much I looked forward to it but it just wasnít for me.

I think itíll be great for hardcore RPG folk but I actually prefer Fallout 4 to this. Quite a lot more actually.
  • JamboWayOh 3 Nov 2019 11:49:12 19,988 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    erasr wrote:
    Sold it. £35 cash. I donít mind paying a tenner to have a go on this given how much I looked forward to it but it just wasnít for me.

I think itíll be great for hardcore RPG folk but I actually prefer Fallout 4 to this. Quite a lot more actually.
    Fallout 4 is better?! Fuck me.
  • quadfather 3 Nov 2019 11:51:26 36,734 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think that's debatable :)
  • TechnoHippy 3 Nov 2019 11:52:35 17,476 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'd have to disagree with that as well, although while I enjoyed Fallout 3 and New Vegas, I just couldn't get into 4.
  • markytonline83 3 Nov 2019 12:29:23 918 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It may be fashionable to slag off Fallout 4, but in no way is Outer Worlds better than F4. Absolutely no way. And I love Outer Worlds.
  • JamboWayOh 3 Nov 2019 12:35:36 19,988 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    markytonline83 wrote:
    It may be fashionable to slag off Fallout 4, but in no way is Outer Worlds better than F4. Absolutely no way. And I love Outer Worlds.
    Fashionable to call out an average game as being average? Right, okay. It is average though, this was the game where Bethesda got found out. Having a big open world means fuck all of it doesn't have the gameplay chops to back it up.

Edited by JamboWayOh at 12:36:35 03-11-2019
  • Dombat 3 Nov 2019 12:47:14 1,778 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fallout 4 and TOW take the modern Fallout formula in completely opposite directions. Depending on what you want out of these games itís perfectly understandable to prefer one over the other.

Personally I thought Fallout 4 was a massive letdown and Iím really enjoying this.
  • Mola_Ram 3 Nov 2019 12:50:26 23,982 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They're just different. Obsidian make games with strong narratives, branching quest lines, and decisions that really shape the game world. Bethesda games are more of the "make your own fun" type, where the narrative isn't as strong but you have more freedom to do whatever you want.

I much prefer the former kind of RPG, but it's not really a matter of it being "better". It's just what I like.
  • Mola_Ram 3 Nov 2019 12:52:03 23,982 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That being said I don't really like what Bethesda did to Fallout. At least we have New Vegas + Wasteland + OW to carry the torch somewhat.
  • markytonline83 3 Nov 2019 12:53:19 918 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @JamboWayOh The same Fallout 4 with a metacritic score of 87? Itís so far above average. It suffers from not being a massive leap over F3 and NV and the ageing engine, Iíll give you that. But to call it average or Outer Worlds better is beyond ridiculous.
    Stealth, combat, gunplay, mission variety, menus are all superior in F4.
  • JamboWayOh 3 Nov 2019 13:01:18 19,988 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yes that same game with that metacritic score. Average. Questlines aren't that great at all, there's no massive outcomes to your decisions and most of the game is just endless combat that becomes quite tiring.
  • nickthegun 3 Nov 2019 13:04:40 82,291 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Given the choice, I would rather have something shorter and more focused like this.

I like fallout 4 just fine but thereís too much zigzagging around and fucking about. The house building is boring and the main quest has too many detours before it pays off.

I suppose you could then argue itís grander and more epic, but I donít really have time for that anymore.
  • Darth_Flibble 3 Nov 2019 14:06:58 4,311 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Fallout 4 is massive step back from F3 and NV in terms of RPG mechanics, factions, skills and quests.
  • quadfather 3 Nov 2019 14:18:57 36,734 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shrug, all depends on what you like. I don't like to use the word "better" really, even though I probably did earlier. "Enjoyable" is more accurate. And I had zero enjoyment in f4, whereas I've had a lot in this. So that's it for me, simples.
  • JamboWayOh 3 Nov 2019 14:21:19 19,988 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I shudder to think how Starfield and the new Elder Scrolls will turn out.
  • Dazimus 3 Nov 2019 14:28:03 1,286 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I found Fallout 4 to be pretty good to be honest. The building was awful and I skipped that where I could, but I found the world and missions good enough. Sneaking and lock picking were better in F4 than TOW too. But I prefer the dialogue in TOW.

Something about TOW feels off to me. It doesnít feel finished, like itís all a bit thrown together. I donít like the menu screens, the inventory system etc. It doesnít feel like it has a proper flow to everything.

Itís still a good game and Iím not going to say itís better or worse than F4 without putting more time into TOW. But I finished F4 and Iím not sure Iíll do the same with TOW as it stands.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.