The Outer Worlds Page 20

• Darth_Flibble 3 Nov 2019 14:30:21 3,728 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    I shudder to think how Starfield and the new Elder Scrolls will turn out.
    Especially how Bethesda is apparently tripling down on the shittyness of fallout 1st with exclusive things to that (broken) service. (according to inside leak)

In the new Elder Scrolls might be something like that Blades piece of shit or a few steps above it. Starfield: want that new ship buy £20 worth of creation credits
  • quadfather 3 Nov 2019 14:40:02 35,260 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    I shudder to think how Starfield and the new Elder Scrolls will turn out.
    I've played all the elder scrolls games and loved them warts n all. Even if they do just more of the same, I'll lap it up (because of the setting). It would have to be crashing every 5 minutes for it to piss me off and even then I'd probably still try and play it.
  • Duffking 3 Nov 2019 15:10:14 16,402 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think the issue isn't so much "more of the same" with Bethesda's RPGs, but "less of the same". Instead of having a bunch of solid systems and great content built on those systems, they strip the systems back and then don't bother creating fun content on top of them either.
  • d_h1234 3 Nov 2019 16:07:19 201 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    quadfather wrote:

I've played all the elder scrolls games and loved them warts n all. Even if they do just more of the same, I'll lap it up (because of the setting). It would have to be crashing every 5 minutes for it to piss me off and even then I'd probably still try and play it.
    You're what's wrong with the games industry. :(
  • quadfather 3 Nov 2019 16:09:06 35,260 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just like my fantasy RPGs. What's wrong with that?

Edited by quadfather at 16:09:23 03-11-2019
  • hedben2013 3 Nov 2019 21:17:15 1,248 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well, I just had to wait 20 minutes for my Xbox X to hard reboot after it crashed twice in a row on the first load of Edgewater. I know correlation =/= causation and all that but I'm not sure I trust it if anything like that happens again
  • hedben2013 3 Nov 2019 21:19:04 1,248 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Game seems good so far though- I'm already speccing just like in NV (stealth emphasis, Lone Wanderer perk because I can't be arsed with companions) and I like the True Time Dilation take on V.A.T.S.
  • Ror 3 Nov 2019 21:20:17 19,037 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fair play to Reed. If you convince him Adelaide would be better for the town, he basically goes on the long walk.

Although, given he's a tubby bureaucrat, it'll be a fairly short walk. He reckoned he'd make it a week. I give him half an hour before a Primal bites his throat out.
  • hedben2013 3 Nov 2019 21:26:59 1,248 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    hedben2013 wrote:
    Well, I just had to wait 20 minutes for my Xbox X to hard reboot after it crashed twice in a row on the first load of Edgewater. I know correlation =/= causation and all that but I'm not sure I trust it if anything like that happens again
    Fuck's sake, tried again and it happened again, that's 3 for 3. Guess that save is borked then :-(
  • Bichii 4 Nov 2019 05:53:36 2,005 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    hedben2013 wrote:
    Game seems good so far though- I'm already speccing just like in NV (stealth emphasis, Lone Wanderer perk because I can't be arsed with companions) and I like the True Time Dilation take on V.A.T.S.
    Oh god,I can't imagine it without the companions. It would be half the game without them.
  • Malek86 4 Nov 2019 06:13:24 9,126 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Ror surprisingly, it appears that the best ending in the final reel only happens if you get everyone back to town except Adelaide.
  • hedben2013 4 Nov 2019 09:05:40 1,248 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Bichii ok crucial question then- do the companions respect stealth? Charging in with guns blazing was the main reason I shied away from them in FO games
  • Malek86 4 Nov 2019 09:35:11 9,126 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @hedben2013 enemies don't even see your companions when you are in stealth mode. Only what you do matters.

Companions are great in this game, unlike in FO3 where I just played the whole game without them. The are some perks to increase your stats when you travel alone, but overall I think companions are just better. Give them some good equips and they will kill everything faster than you.

The item you give them also have infinite ammo and durability, so it's usually worth equipping them with heavy weapons for even better results.

Edited by Malek86 at 09:37:16 04-11-2019
  • richyroo 4 Nov 2019 10:16:11 401 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    richyroo wrote:
    I have had enough of the game and so Iím gonna stop playing it.

Iím currently at Monarch. I feel like the game is 80% dialogue and 20% gameplay. Every time I start to get into the combat its interrupted again by LOTS of dialogue.

The quests are boring too. 90% of them have been fetch quests and I donít feel like I would of missed anything if I decided to skip them.

I enjoyed the characters, the gunplay, the environments. There just isnít enough actual gameplay for me, and what gameplay there is just isnít varied enough.
    Did you stick on too easy a difficulty? I've heard that people who wanted a stronger gun play aspect set it harder, and didn't put any skills in intimidation, lie, stealth, etc. which forces you into combat scenarios a lot more.

I agree this is a lot of chat over guns, but it might be alleviated if you make some changes as above.
    I was playing on hard difficulty and stealthily. Mainly head shotting from afar before going in all guns blazing. As I said, I enjoyed this aspect of the game, there was just too much talking.

I think this is where an open world game has its benefits, it means you can spread the game out to actually feature more gameplay inbetween the talking. The areas in TOW are far too small and condensed, it literally just takes seconds to get anywhere that you need to. I actually got to the point where I saw another settlement coming up and was dreading all the anticipated dialogue.

Edited by richyroo at 10:18:56 04-11-2019
  • MrWonderstuff 4 Nov 2019 10:44:34 3,055 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    For purists, an RPG isn't an RPG unless there are reams of exposition and dialogue (written or voice-acted).
  • Duffking 4 Nov 2019 10:52:03 16,402 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm playing on hard and it is very easy. Put points in long guns and persuasion, lock picking and leadership mainly and combat encounters all last about 3 seconds.
  • TechnoHippy 4 Nov 2019 10:54:27 15,547 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I enjoyed having the companions with me, and it's worth mixing them up in different areas as some of the banter is top notch.
  • hedben2013 4 Nov 2019 11:27:17 1,248 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well, I deleted the save that wouldn't load Edgewater and seemed to screw with other games after crashing. So I guess I can start again and give companions a chance this time...
  • Ror 4 Nov 2019 11:45:27 19,037 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Malek86 She didn't exactly seem completely stable, so that doesn't massively surprise me, tbh.
  • General_Martok 4 Nov 2019 11:53:05 925 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Stopped playing the moment I found out that weapons and armour need to be repaired.

I don't have time for that kind of stuff.
  • Ror 4 Nov 2019 12:12:31 19,037 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @General_Martok I'm not a fan of gear degradation either, but you can press one button to repair all equipped items, at least.
  • its-H1ggyLTD 4 Nov 2019 12:13:31 546 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Plus, i seem to come across that many weapons that i can't see it being much of an issue?
  • StarchildHypocrethes 4 Nov 2019 12:13:58 32,484 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah , it's no where near as intrusive or annoying as I originally thought it was going to be. Still could do without it mind, but it's fine.
  • Mola_Ram 4 Nov 2019 12:14:13 21,765 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Stopping just because of that one thing seems like an awful waste of money.
  • richyroo 4 Nov 2019 12:22:43 401 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I know I have some complaints of this game, but the weapon degradation was not one of them. As someone else said, you literally just hold a button down for 2 secs and all your weapons are repaired. No issue whatsoever with this.
  • ChiefGB 4 Nov 2019 12:33:33 11,646 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Think Iím inadvertently helping out spacers choice so far, sided with the town, kept the jackass from Rosewayís research for gladys but ended up helping spacers choice again.

Edited by ChiefGB at 12:33:57 04-11-2019
  • Ror 4 Nov 2019 12:36:55 19,037 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Depends if you're playing it via Game Pass, tbf. Though I agree, considering what a tiny nuisance it ends up being, it's probably a bit of an overreaction.
  • Malek86 4 Nov 2019 13:24:58 9,126 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I mean, it's no System Shock 2, or even Breath of the Wild. Stuff can be repaired incredibly easily.
  • General_Martok 4 Nov 2019 13:28:19 925 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Depends if you're playing it via Game Pass, tbf. Though I agree, considering what a tiny nuisance it ends up being, it's probably a bit of an overreaction.
    Yeah I'm playing Via game pass. It's not the only reason either it's just the point that pushed me over.

I basically don't have the time for an in depth RPG and I only tried it cause it's on game pass.

5 years ago I would have probably loved it.
  • JamboWayOh 4 Nov 2019 13:28:26 15,740 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    I'd say a massive overreaction tbh. It's like not liking an rpg because it's got dialogue in it.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.