Reviews are reasonably favourable
  • Bichii 6 Nov 2019 22:22:47 2,005 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Completed. Pretty good.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 6 Nov 2019 23:02:11 8,971 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just finished it, really liked it. Not perfect by any means but I enjoyed it more than Fallout 4 for sure. Definitely on board for a sequel.
  • Carlo 6 Nov 2019 23:03:35 20,685 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    Just finished it, really liked it. Not perfect by any means but I enjoyed it more than Fallout 4 for sure. Definitely on board for a sequel.
    I think they'll be a DLC pack for this.
  • cov 7 Nov 2019 00:10:01 2,008 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/05/02/close-to-the-sun-review/amp/&ved=2ahUKEwiQy6zy59blAhWoQxUIHSwgBKQQFjANegQICRAB&usg=AOvVaw1kYs95hZM5wt2sljp2QJYg&cf=1

Close to the sun review

Edited by cov at 00:12:12 07-11-2019
  • SiroccoJetProp 9 Nov 2019 14:24:02 301 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Finally finished it, about 36 hours and I've completed all the quests as far as I can tell.

Best game I've played in a while, wish there were more games of this type!
  • its-H1ggyLTD 9 Nov 2019 14:25:20 546 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    They said it's been a success, so i'd imagine there will be.
  • quadfather 9 Nov 2019 18:18:11 35,260 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Completed it but didn't even get all the companions. There were still two locked slots at the end. Oh well. Thoroughly enjoyed it though. Blasted my way through the end just for shits and giggles
  • nickthegun 9 Nov 2019 19:32:14 79,230 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    That's kind of where I'm at. I was on the edge of doing what I always do with these games, rinse the side quests until I get sick of the entire game and bail before I finish the main story, so I made a concerted push on to the end.

Which means any quest that I didnít perfect doesnít get reloaded and a non-perfect ending seems to have an entire faction commit suicide by me. Iíve killed every soldier in Byzantium twice.

Edited by nickthegun at 19:33:42 09-11-2019
  • quadfather 9 Nov 2019 23:21:19 35,260 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Good result I'd say :)
  • nickthegun 10 Nov 2019 08:27:34 79,230 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    If nothing else, it levels you up faster than diplomacy or stealth. The rewards for stealth especially need to be higher then maintaing your merchant discount.

It is one thing that has irked me about this game. It's very binary. You have to jump through so many hoops to finish most quests and one wrong choice generally means carnage.

'Thanks for your work so far, Gary Anus. I love you. Now please go and kill these people.'

'No thanks.'

*Entire building charges at me*

*Kills everyone in building. Exits building*

*Entire town charges at me. Kills entire town*

*Pavarti asks about soap*

Edited by nickthegun at 08:28:35 10-11-2019
  • Carlo 10 Nov 2019 09:40:52 20,685 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    If nothing else, it levels you up faster than diplomacy or stealth. The rewards for stealth especially need to be higher then maintaing your merchant discount.

It is one thing that has irked me about this game. It's very binary. You have to jump through so many hoops to finish most quests and one wrong choice generally means carnage.

'Thanks for your work so far, Gary Anus. I love you. Now please go and kill these people.'

'No thanks.'

*Entire building charges at me*

*Kills everyone in building. Exits building*

*Entire town charges at me. Kills entire town*

*Pavarti asks about soap*
    Gary Anus lol, I named my character Joe Mamma, them promply forget until some dialogue asks "Who are you?" and one of the reply options is "I'm Joe Momma" 8D
  • Duffking 10 Nov 2019 10:15:35 16,402 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think I've abandoned this. I'm probably near the end but I can't be arsed. I like having proper character stats but it doesn't feel like they really matter in this, most quests are pretty dull and the narrative is non ezistant most of the time.
  • nickthegun 10 Nov 2019 11:46:23 79,230 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Woo, I did it! I finished a scrollslike game!

Overall, I liked it but it did become repetitive (as they all do, tbf). The writing largely saved that, though, and by the end I did care about the dialogue choices despite burning through them in the conversation screens.

There are a few QoL changes it really needs (why cant you sort the inventory in the companion tab, ffs?) and some performance fixes but overall, its pretty solid. I would definitely play another one of these over a fallout.

And the ending was really good. It completely reflected my play through to the point that I knew most of my companions would be miserable as I couldnt be arsed to finish their quests.
  • quadfather 10 Nov 2019 12:52:27 35,260 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah I had the same feeling - great at the start but the final third something must have happened to make me switch off a bit and just get through it. I kinda felt rushed by it a little bit so I just thought, ok then, let's get it done now.

Still really enjoyed the majority of it. Steps in the right direction etc
  • ShadyChopper 14 Nov 2019 09:47:20 113 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Playing this on the Pc, Just realised none of the quests or objective markers are showing?? Anyone know of a fix ?
  • DUFFMAN5 14 Nov 2019 10:30:46 25,081 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Right so the first planet I killed everyone at the docking station area. Not my fault I thought I had a Holographic suit on to get in to a sensitive area, turns out I didn't and we had "words"

Does it act like a lot of other RPG's, where I can return and all is forgiven ? I know I have shagged the two missions though as in a menu they say "botched"

Second planet I have to get past the monsters that are a good few levels above me. After getting killed several times I thought I would run through the level, didn't make it though. Will try again once I play/beat Star Wars.

It is good, I just have a few too many games on the go at the moment, which I actively hate doing.
  • kentmonkey 14 Nov 2019 22:50:12 23,191 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm finding this a bit..... Bland.

I've only reached the first spaceship (groundbreaker) and fine almost all of the side missions up until now. I guess I'm about 4 hours in. But thus far, while I don't dislike it, I'm at the point of considering advancing abandoning it.

I'm not finding the dialogue all that entertaining or interesting (to the point that during the last half hour of play I pretty much just skipped it all), and everything else just really bland.

It's the fudge out of a box of chocolates at the moment.

Do I need to give it longer? Is therehere better just around the corner? Am I causing this by hoovering up all the side quests as I go? Or is this pretty much it for the rest of the game and it's just not for me?
  • Carlo 14 Nov 2019 22:55:26 20,685 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    I'm finding this a bit..... Bland.

I've only reached the first spaceship (groundbreaker) and fine almost all of the side missions up until now. I guess I'm about 4 hours in. But thus far, while I don't dislike it, I'm at the point of considering advancing abandoning it.

I'm not finding the dialogue all that entertaining or interesting (to the point that during the last half hour of play I pretty much just skipped it all), and everything else just really bland.

It's the fudge out of a box of chocolates at the moment.

Do I need to give it longer? Is therehere better just around the corner? Am I causing this by hoovering up all the side quests as I go? Or is this pretty much it for the rest of the game and it's just not for me?
    I think to be honest, if it hasn't clicked with you at all by the time you get to the ground breaker (and I assume you have a couple of companions now?) it's not for you.
  • kentmonkey 14 Nov 2019 23:02:45 23,191 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Carlo I do yeah. At the groundbreaker, all side missions done, two companions.

Probably for the abandoned pile then. First one in ages to end up there as well. I normally plough on but that would take another 30+ hours I reckon and it's just not doing it for me.
  • Vortex808 21 Nov 2019 09:38:19 13,418 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Started a bit of this last night, it really is fallout in space isn't it? :-)

Might not be a bad thing, but I'll see where it goes over the weekend.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.