The all new Official Christmas Thread

First Previous
  • Jono62 12 Dec 2018 16:49:02 21,703 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Christmas is only 13 days away and it feels like it has crept up very quickly.

Feeling a bit Bah Humbug this year. Saving all spare monies for wedding things. Didn't realise how much shit there is out there. I'm in the wrong business.

Most likely my last Christmas is London as I'll most likely be moving to Frank Lampard's Derby by this time next year.

Anyway for Christmas, going for a goose rather than a dry turkey. Tree is up.

Is everyone prepared for the wonderfulness that is Christmas?
  • Vortex808 12 Dec 2018 16:53:39 13,032 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Jono is the new Errol, only this thread has appeared much later than Errol would bump his.

Sorry, I'm rambling, more Eggnog? :-)
  • Jono62 12 Dec 2018 16:55:27 21,703 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm trying to keep tradition up :)

Duffman abandoned swapsies like a big abandoner.
  • Vortex808 12 Dec 2018 16:59:24 13,032 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:

Duffman abandoned swapsies like he abandons newly bought games.
    Fixed. :-)
  • robthehermit 12 Dec 2018 17:00:15 7,139 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Christmas in cancelled this year. Eldest daughter has decided that she is spending Christmas at her in laws from now on, because she hates going to see them and it ruins Christmas at ours having the impending visit hanging over her. Something, something, bloody millennials, something, something.

So anyway, our Christmas day has been moved to the 28th to accommodate her whims.

So Christmas Day is going to come and go with no Dr Who, no Christmas dinner, and no presents (except Red Dead 2, as I managed to convince Mrs Hermit that I really should have that before Fake Christmas so I can get a couple of days in before they arrive, and don't spend the whole time ignoring them)

Bah! Humbug! indeed.
  • arty 12 Dec 2018 17:04:37 490 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Merry Christmas Everybody!
  • Ror 12 Dec 2018 17:08:36 18,154 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Jono62 If you're gonna be moving, treat yourself to a BRGR&BEER for Christmas :D
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 12 Dec 2018 17:15:00 9,146 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I've got two trees up but way behind on gift buying after a strong early start
  • smoothpete 12 Dec 2018 17:23:40 35,332 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    We going to Budapest tomorrow! Christmas markets, strong alcohol, shooting a whole bunch of guns, and getting pissed in a thermal spa. Just what jesus would have wanted. Festive as actual fuck.
  • Youthist 12 Dec 2018 17:28:03 13,587 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Enjoy the last one we will able to afford!
  • Psychotext 12 Dec 2018 17:29:20 64,492 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm not going to feel festive until I'm at Heathrow ready to get on the plane out of this hole. At that point I'll be putting on my stupid reindeer hat and getting jolly (shitfaced).
  • AddyJB 12 Dec 2018 17:32:20 967 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Always a mixed bag for us. Eldest daughter is super excited but my other 2 girls don't grasp the concept of it and I'm not sure they will. Anyway pressies opened at home and then off to the in laws for a few hours. Boxing day my sister has decided she's not throwing the usual party so I guess we will stay at home and chill. We'd entertain but again our girls hate noise and lots of people so it kind of rules that idea out.
  • drhickman1983 12 Dec 2018 17:58:01 5,679 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I like Christmas. I don't buy into the commercial side and I don't waste time seeing family I don't care about.

I spend it with the family I like, I see friends I like. Just a good time to spend a week relaxing.

And it is a week, I'll have no truck with that 'it's all over after the 25th' bullshit. The day itself is just one day of many. I think some people put too much expectation on one day, which is why it's shit for them.
  • Globalmeltdown 12 Dec 2018 18:09:14 715 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just another day for me, absolutely hate it.
  • Youthist 12 Dec 2018 18:10:08 13,587 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So you absolutely hate every day, for clarity?
  • DUFFMAN5 12 Dec 2018 18:12:20 24,076 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    Jono62 wrote:

Duffman abandoned swapsies like he abandons newly bought games.
    Fixed. :-)
    Haha ;)
  • BillMurray 12 Dec 2018 18:13:34 9,377 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Only arsed about eating loads of food. The rest of it I cannot be arsed with.
  • rockavitch 12 Dec 2018 18:22:27 1,091 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No tree or anything is or will be going up in mine. A few hours in mums for dinner on the day then home before they get some drink in them so I can turn phone off and do sod all until back to work.

For me that's actually perfect.
  • ChiefGB 13 Dec 2018 00:32:44 10,118 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Work in retail, so spend last two months dealing with idiots who can’t do their own shopping no matter how easy we make it for them. Work till 8 Xmas eve, get one day off before have to go all over again with the mouth breathers tearing the shelves empty of all the remaining crap that nobody wanted before.

All this “holiday” talk with people having two weeks off to play all their games is all alien to me.

Basically working in retail for the last 23 years destroyed
    any Christmas spirit I had, but then nobody sold me into this slavery.
  • Jyzzy-Z 13 Dec 2018 00:54:30 4,005 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Nobody has two weeks off unless they're minted. I've worked in offices most the time and it's a week max if you're lucky and the office closes for a week.

Feel your pain, used to work in pubs and bars. I used to fucking hate Christmas.
  • thelzdking 13 Dec 2018 01:33:06 8,960 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've never been Christmassy really, but the hot, sunny weather is making me extra disinterested this year. I've done two summer Christmasses before, but this time it really doesn't feel right. Still, looking forward to a big takeaway curry on Christmas Day.
  • thelzdking 13 Dec 2018 01:35:34 8,960 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Also, I did many retail Christmasses, and they do kill it. Everyone else getting time off and you're working like a dog. Then the day itself is normally your only day off in the busiest work period of the year and you just want to spend it in bed, but you have to make the effort with your hateful relatives. I still dream of spending a Christmas Day alone with a crate of beer, a bag of weed and a load of films.
  • Psychotext 13 Dec 2018 02:07:27 64,492 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    Work in retail, so spend last two months dealing with idiots who can’t do their own shopping no matter how easy we make it for them. Work till 8 Xmas eve, get one day off before have to go all over again with the mouth breathers tearing the shelves empty of all the remaining crap that nobody wanted before.
    I used to enjoy the Christmas period when I worked retail... but then I always had a strong IDGAF point of view.

It's almost like being in a zoo, but getting to judge the other animals. :D
  • challenge_hanukkah 13 Dec 2018 06:01:38 9,627 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    Jono is the new Errol, only this thread has appeared much later than Errol would bump his.

Sorry, I'm rambling, more Eggnog? :-)
    Huh, I'd managed to forget all about Errol.

I wonder if he's still a thick cunt?
  • DUFFMAN5 13 Dec 2018 06:28:34 24,076 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    so then are you lot "Hanging all your stockings on the wall" ? yet
  • GuybrushFreepwood 13 Dec 2018 06:54:15 521 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Put up a (real) tree a couple of weeks ago. Presents all bought and mostly wrapped (the ones my wife bought are anyway, I've wrapped screw all). Been moving a house elf around the place each night and kids have been read Xmas stories each night. One really annoying thing is my wife putting on so much Xmas music, my house feels like a supermarket at times.

I quite like Christmas and the build up, but then we have kids so it's still magical. I've got to see inlaws on Christmas day which is not something I want to do at all, but you have to do these things. I do have about two weeks off, but then we have a change freeze so anyone who isn't taking leave will be skiing. Kind of makes me feel like I'm wasting leave, but any other time of the year I'll come back to hundreds of emails and problems.

Anyway, last day of Xmas shopping today. Once more info the breach..

Edited by GuybrushFreepwood at 06:55:23 13-12-2018
  • fontgeeksogood 13 Dec 2018 08:02:00 4,699 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    No tree, no turkey, no Jesus.

No booze this year either which is going to be extraordinarily difficult
  • JamboWayOh 13 Dec 2018 08:58:31 11,267 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Jyzzy-Z wrote:
    Nobody has two weeks off unless they're minted. I've worked in offices most the time and it's a week max if you're lucky and the office closes for a week.

Feel your pain, used to work in pubs and bars. I used to fucking hate Christmas.
    I've got two weeks off. Tbf this is the first job I've ever had where I've been given two weeks off. I'm looking forward to seeing my friends and family and in a masochist way I'm looking forward to see the depression that is Birmingham.
  • thelzdking 13 Dec 2018 08:58:44 8,960 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Why no booze?
  • Dougs 13 Dec 2018 09:03:41 88,017 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Can't wait. Have a little over 2 weeks off, from next Thursday. Gaming time will be limited as I seem to be spending the entire time with family but there you go. Lots going on before Christmas. My in-laws arrive next Wednesday and are with us until just before New year. We've got the local community centre Christmas party next Sat, family meal Sunday, grotto on Christmas eve. Then after Christmas we can employ them as babysitters and go out a few times.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.