Play What You Get, Get What You Play (2019) Page 61

• Murbs 11 Mar 2019 16:25:51 24,206 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @THFourteen I've got it on PS4. Not selling that though as my daughter's playing it.
  • UncleLou Moderator 11 Mar 2019 16:44:04 40,098 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    IĎve bought DQXI for the PC last year. Cheap, fortunately.

I am not trolling when I say it must be the most boring game IĎve ever bought. I found it so terrible, I have no other explanation for any score above 4/10 except blind nostalgia.

Edited by UncleLou at 16:44:28 11-03-2019
  • THFourteen 11 Mar 2019 16:45:20 51,171 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @UncleLou

Have you played DQ8? How does it compare

Played that last year and loved it.
  • monkman76 11 Mar 2019 17:09:49 14,350 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    IĎve bought DQXI for the PC last year. Cheap, fortunately.

I am not trolling when I say it must be the most boring game IĎve ever bought. I found it so terrible, I have no other explanation for any score above 4/10 except blind nostalgia.
    This is exactly how I felt about Diablo 3 :)
  • Ceelion 11 Mar 2019 17:24:50 501 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So I've completed all missions for Anthem.
    I think my game target is going to be 'do a mission at the hardest difficulty.

So far I'm at GM1. Got GM2 and GM3 to go.
  • Jono62 11 Mar 2019 18:48:20 21,847 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Add another duck for me:

🦆Mario and Rabbids Kingdom Battle.
  • the_dudefather 11 Mar 2019 19:27:15 10,898 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Cancelled my Sekiro preorder, lot going on and playing something stressful isn't appealing at the moment, will try to resist the day one hype train and get it later
  • rice_sandwich 11 Mar 2019 19:42:16 5,184 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The spreadsheet has been updated.
  • JoelStinty 11 Mar 2019 22:29:11 7,442 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @UncleLou I actually started Origins today and itís grabbed straight away. Surprisingly as Ive not that long ago completed Horizon. It is very Moreish

Initially my heart sank a little bit when icons cropped up everywhere but I found the interactions with other NPCs rather engaging and itís a good reboot/makeover for the series.

Iím only a few hours in mind you (just done my first assassination but I can see myself being completely sucked in like you have with odyssey. It is the first AC game I have played since black flag though which helps. The core mechanics of AC games have always been fun but there were so many of them it wasnít hard to feel burnout. By the time I get round to Odyssey thereíll probably be around 4 more games released.
  • Murbs 11 Mar 2019 22:48:09 24,206 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Put some of my ToV sale funds towards Assault Android Cactus + as I've heard it's the best twin stick shooter. Must make it better than Geometry Wars then, right? Not on first play - fun, but mindless. We'll see. Completion is to finish campaign.

That's 3 of my 4 filled.

Edit: would help if I got the game name right

Edited by Murbs at 22:50:59 11-03-2019
  • DangerousDave_87 11 Mar 2019 23:12:50 5,639 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Geometry Wars will never be bettered. The second game, that is.
  • rice_sandwich 12 Mar 2019 00:31:34 5,184 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Murbs

Assault Android Cactus is fun but not as good as Geometry Wars. It doesn't do anything new but then I suppose it's not really trying to.
  • Samildanach 12 Mar 2019 00:46:49 31 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Assassin's creed IV black flag done and dusted. That's credits seen and all the stupid little map icons visited and complete. I'm sure I feel massively fulfilled by that...

After really quite enjoying AC3, this one felt like a bit of a chore. The story line seemed to me to be AC at its worst, shoehorning in characters and events of the time into a mess of a plot; characters and events never quite being given the build up or depth to make me care much. Oh well, let's try some linear fun with:

Bioshock Infinite (already a duck)
    DmC (a new duck to add please)
  • GuybrushFreepwood 12 Mar 2019 07:53:58 585 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Okay, I finished Oxenfree.

I have no real idea what the hell happened during the game and I'm not sure I enjoyed it as the options felt rushed to me and I often hadn't read them before they disappeared. Also I sometimes picked something by mistake and was stuck with the consequences (if I even had a clue what they were). There was a lot of wandering about too and I got lost more times than I should have.

As "proof" I took a picture of the last photo and of the end credits. But then I've no social media accounts, so no clue how I get those pictures from there to here. You can feel free to grill me on what happened (I'll answer as far as I know it). I'm half tempted to do a silent run through so I can listen to all the conversations without cutting them off.

I ended with the happy ending (mostly - Ren seemed annoyed with me, but then he was annoying). Clarissa was still alive - so tempted though. Ren and Nona were together. I think I screwed up the Michael responses for my next run throughs as I had no clue what those bits were on about..

Anyway, I realise I've bent the rules here, so if people are not happy, then I can be added to the "fallen" list. However I did genuinely finish it at ~10:24 last night. I guess I better do Pokemon Go next so I can clear a space for whatever my next thing is.

Oh and I "kind of" finished Warlock of Firetop Mountain last week, but only for one character.
  • rice_sandwich 12 Mar 2019 07:56:39 5,184 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @GuybrushFreepwood

I had already added Oxenfree as finished as I've played it myself and it's s short game so I had faith that you'd finish it. I got a middling ending but had no desire to play again and listen to much the same conversation as I heard before.
  • rice_sandwich 12 Mar 2019 08:03:28 5,184 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Phattso

I had a good run in Cultist Simulator. I've worked out how to gain health, contentment and generate loads of money and develop the reason and passion skills reliably. In the end I was undone by a massing of evidence against me. I think I need to start making some notes as to what does what.

The only thing I needed to progress was one of those locations where you can do expeditions but it just wouldn't appear. Previously I had my first successful expedition which opened up quite a bit more stuff.

Normally an expedition ooens up pretty quickly. I had about a dozen books and a few researched double fragments. I think I have the very basics down after a dozen hours so that physical survival isn't an issue. I'm looking forward to seeing what's next as I've still only barely scratched the surface!
  • GuybrushFreepwood 12 Mar 2019 08:16:21 585 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    @rice_sandwich Thanks, but I am "slow" at playing games. I think it took me about 10 hours to finish it in the end. Certainly played a couple of hours last night.

I was a bit underwhelmed by it all myself. Neat concept initially with the radio, but I got a bit bored with it. I'm going to have to read up on it as I've only a marginal idea what the mystery was. Like you say, the thought of the same conversations over again is not something I'd relish aside from a silent or evil play through.

Anyway, best I dig out my pokemon cartridge and pull Diablo 3 out of the slot (it's probably rusted solid in there as I've clocked up an embarrassing 295 hours :S How can I be so crap at the game still?)
  • THFourteen 12 Mar 2019 09:04:44 51,171 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Not quite feeling the love for FFX. Itís good but not great IMO.

The storyline is nice, as are the boss battles. Some of the temples can get to fuck tho, especially the one I just did in Bevelle. Ended up just using a guide for it as couldnít be arsed.

Not sure how itís some peopleís best FF ever?
  • Graxlar_v3 12 Mar 2019 11:11:09 5,446 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @THFourteen yojimbo :)
  • CowsMakeNoise 12 Mar 2019 12:11:11 19 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Call of Cthulhu done, and Red Dead 2 is on hold because my DualShock R2 trigger doesnít seem to work. Only on some games though.

Going to dive back into Injustice 2 and get that cleared up.
  • Phattso 12 Mar 2019 13:49:24 24,470 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @rice_sandwich Iím a bit further down the line than you are, with my latest ďrunĒ being about 14 hours and counting. I can survive most morbidities, and understand some of the dream/study economy in detail and have bundles of rites and other arcane odds and sods. Canít quite nail the combo I need for Enlightenment though. Seem to have exhausted most locations. Not sure where to go next!

Canít wait to keep plugging away though. Itís a grand counterpoint to the Saturday morning cartoon vibes of Starlink.
  • rice_sandwich 12 Mar 2019 13:54:32 5,184 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Phattso

Nice progress. Looks like you'll reach the end soon.The one thing that grates is that it's a bit of a grind. Losing a run means starting from scratch and going through all the same motions as before for a good 30-90 minutes before you're back to discovering new stuff. I'm not sure how much of that I can tolerate. Your estimate of 20ish hours seems fair.
  • Phattso 12 Mar 2019 13:59:20 24,470 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, if this run turns out to be a dead end before I get a proper victory (due to a thing I could only learn by spending 20 hours in the game and needing a restart) then Iím not sure I have the stomach for another run. Which leaves me in an interesting conundrum in this thread.

Thereís an RPS piece by a bod who has over 100hrs in the game. Iíd dearly love to feel how they feel about the game, and that is rather the reason I started the challenge in the first place, so Iím not sure I can take it off my list until Iíve beaten it at least once.
  • rice_sandwich 12 Mar 2019 14:05:05 5,184 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    When you get down to it the game is basically trying every card against every verb and generating sufficient resources and buffs to survive the rng. I've had a few runs where I realised that I was basically dead due to rng even although things trundled on for a bit.

I'm enjoying it but like you I don't know if I have the patience to sit through potentially several hours of repetition. It's like having to read the first 100 pages of a book over again every time you pick it up. Some sort of checkpoint system would be good.
  • Graxlar_v3 12 Mar 2019 14:39:53 5,446 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Have finished Devil May Cry 5... excellent game :) by far the best one of those I have played
  • Rivuzu 12 Mar 2019 14:48:43 17,871 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:

The storyline is nice, as are the boss battles. Some of the temples can get to fuck tho, especially the one I just did in Bevelle. Ended up just using a guide for it as couldnít be arsed.

It's a mixture of poor taste and certain people being so young that it's their first experience with Final Fantasy.

Honestly think it's up there with the worst of the FF's. 9 is where the series died for me, as Sakaguchi left afterwards (to go make his own stuff, Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey and they were BANGERS).
  • Graxlar_v3 12 Mar 2019 14:53:33 5,446 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Rivuzu wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:

It's a mixture of poor taste and certain people being so young that it's their first experience with Final Fantasy.

Honestly think it's up there with the worst of the FF's. 9 is where the series died for me, as Sakaguchi left afterwards (to go make his own stuff, Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey and they were BANGERS).
    I donít appreciate it when people shit on my tastes. 10 was always mid ranking for me but having played 8,9 and 10 in the last few years... 10 is a much better game then the other 2. 10 is prob the third or fourth best final fantasy.
  • DangerousDave_87 12 Mar 2019 15:32:23 5,639 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I abandoned Final Fantasy 10 at the final boss battle, not knowing or caring that it was. I didn't like much about the game at all. Having said that, I didn't much like 9 either.

And then I discovered Breath of Fire and Dragon Quest, which are both leagues ahead of those games anyway.
  • Phattso 12 Mar 2019 15:33:47 24,470 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Itís very cute that you JRPG fans have deluded yourselves that you have any taste anyway! Slap a miniskirt on some underaged nymph and youíll play anything.
  • PazJohnMitch 12 Mar 2019 16:22:19 14,253 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    DangerousDave_87 wrote:
    I abandoned Final Fantasy 10 at the final boss battle
    Same.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.