Play What You Get, Get What You Play (2019) Page 79

• JoelStinty 13 Apr 2019 12:25:11 7,867 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Finished Mario Rabbids Donkey Kong DLC this morning. Very good. More of something that was already great. The overall game has to go down as one of the best surprises of this generation. Top stuff.
  • DangerousDave_87 13 Apr 2019 12:37:31 5,975 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 You can always put DQ Builders on the backburner whilst you play something else. The game does get better with each chapter, was more rooms and tools become available. It can become a bit of a slog though if you're trying to race through it all.
  • Toaster05 13 Apr 2019 13:10:03 2,149 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Although I initially had my OBJECTION! to doing it, I found myself buying Ace Attorney Trilogy today so please add that to my list of shame.

I told myself I wouldn't buy it. Fucks sake!
  • THFourteen 13 Apr 2019 13:13:43 52,026 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Yunalesca.

O_o
    By my own rules FFX may stay on my list forever.

Damned by my own damning.
  • Graxlar_v3 13 Apr 2019 13:18:41 6,756 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @DangerousDave_87 I have only really been playing it on the way to and from work so it hasnít been to bad. I know this is one of the games I would stop and never restart so I kind of have to power through it. Though having said that the chapters are distinct enough that even if I was to stop it would be easy to pick up again.
  • rice_sandwich 13 Apr 2019 17:13:11 5,492 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Arcade Archives Donkey Kong 3 bought and off my list again after reaching my minimum 30 goes / 20p a time until purchase price spent rule. It'll now go into my regular retro game rotation. So far I've chalked up 150 goes of a dozen retro / arcade games. I managed to break into the top 50 on the online leaderboard but climbing any further is going to be really tough.

DK3 is not as good as Donkey Kong due to the less sophisticated gameplay. It's basically galaxians with a minor platforming element. Good simple fun but again, one for retro fans only.
  • rice_sandwich 13 Apr 2019 17:20:31 5,492 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Spreadsheet updated too.
  • PazJohnMitch 13 Apr 2019 17:32:16 14,472 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Played more of Enter the Gungeon. I can certainly see why people like it now. Still not fully sold though.

Moonlighted however is right up my street.
  • OllyJ 13 Apr 2019 20:53:12 4,492 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Given up in Trials Rising until it's fixed.

Sekiro is nearly done.

Added Letter Quest Remastered on Switch to the list.
  • THFourteen 13 Apr 2019 23:20:02 52,026 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Sheís down!!! Iím back in the game!
  • DangerousDave_87 13 Apr 2019 23:28:19 5,975 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @OllyJ What's happening with Trials now?
  • DangerousDave_87 13 Apr 2019 23:29:22 5,975 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @rice_sandwich I didn't realise these Arcade Archives had online leaderboards. Tempting...
  • Ceelion 13 Apr 2019 23:50:38 511 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Right. Iím saying Iíve done Steep.

Put in over 24 hours.
    Got to level 30.
    Got a gold medal in every event I unlocked bar two wing suit challenges that Iíve tried to do at least 20000 times.

I thought I liked it. But as time went by, Iíve realised how much I actually donít like it. In fact, I think Iíve grown to hate it... to hate how average the game is. And how itís seems so happy to settle for it.

So Iíll take a tick for that.
    Because I flat out refuse to 100% it.
    AND I didnít even spend money on it.
  • docrob 14 Apr 2019 00:40:52 1,170 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    Yeah, Rice and I rode that camel earlier in the year. If you persist it does open up and you do make progress... we both burned out at around the 25 hour mark though. If you wanted to ask specific questions Iím sure we could come up with some cryptic clues so as not to spoil it for you. :)
    I suspect I'm going to hit the wall like you did. 12 hours in and I've made some decent progress, but reaching the point where it all seems a bit repetitive.
  • rice_sandwich 14 Apr 2019 07:01:41 5,492 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    DangerousDave_87 wrote:
    @rice_sandwich I didn't realise these Arcade Archives had online leaderboards. Tempting...
    There's the 5 minute caravan mode where you have 5 minutes for your game, high score mode where you have no saves or continues and regular high score mode. For the latter I believe you can load saves so only the online highscore modes are really legit.

The way I'm playing these sorts of games is to avoid the use of continues except where it's the default setting e.g. in Strikers 1945 you get 2 continues.
  • JoelStinty 14 Apr 2019 11:52:10 7,867 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Put in a few hours in Hollow Knight and its shaping up to be a really promising game. Just defeated Hornet, and i really enjoyed the tug of war battle with her. Only a few hours in, but the range of different enemies and ways to beat them is impressive for a game that as one attack button in a 2d space.
  • Derblington 14 Apr 2019 18:53:52 31,643 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think I'm out of this challenge. I've thought about changing the game limit but I'm not sure that'll help.

The Hong Kong Massacre being a bit of a dud has got me thinking about gaming choices and stuff far more than it should, because it goes down as a bad mark and removes an option in my choices of what I can play. The problem is that I did everything right - I made an informed choice based on reviews and personal preference, and yet I'm punished for making sound choices.
    If it was something a bit more random, like Sekiro (a game I still want but could hate), I would just chalk it up to a poor gamble and move past it, but the 5 game limit, which is now 4, means I can really only afford to go in on games I know I'll like and want to play all the way through before moving on.

Initially I didn't think it'd be very difficult as it'd just help me focus on a few games at a time but I'm just not really up for that right now. I kinda want to experiment a bit. There are games I want to try, want to play, but might not want to commit to fully. There are games I want to go back to, like FC5, which I do like but seem to burn out quite quickly on, and need to play other things between bouts of it.
    I have a lot of indie games that I simply may not like and could easily fuck me pretty quickly, but I already own them and need to get around to - Galak-Z, Serial Cleaner, Yooka-Laylee, Sexy Brutale, Ronin, Virginia, The Swindle, Shovel Knight, Lumo, Adrift, Transistor, and more. I think I'm going to put some time into some of these this week.

So, yeah. I can't really think of a solution other than just not doing this. I'm still tracking what I'm buying and playing in an excel doc, just to get a sense of my habits through the year. I think that might be enough.
  • THFourteen 14 Apr 2019 19:18:04 52,026 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Derblington

Know exactly what you mean, especially if you like indies. Been looking at Slay the Spire and Steamworld Quest recently, but this challenge means that (for me) they'll never get given a go because it's 50/50 whether they grab me like into the breach, or are shite like FTL.

Toy with the idea of giving up this challenge on and off.
  • rice_sandwich 14 Apr 2019 19:23:24 5,492 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    As long as you're not buying all the games all the time, and then not playing them I don't see the issue with doing what you want. This is just for laughs and to give a little bit of focus on what and how much you want / or are able to play.
  • Deleted user 14 April 2019 22:30:38
    Still playing

God of War
    The Last of Us

New

Bioshock: Infinite
  • docrob 14 Apr 2019 23:51:51 1,170 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    As long as you're not buying all the games all the time, and then not playing them I don't see the issue with doing what you want. This is just for laughs and to give a little bit of focus on what and how much you want / or are able to play.
    To date, the challenge has made it easier for me to resist buying new stuff just because it's in a Steam sale, and has given me extra impetus to stick with at least a couple of titles to completion. So it's a win from me even if it doesn't pan out over the year.
  • dominalien 15 Apr 2019 06:22:39 9,145 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well, it was clear from the start the challenge wouldnít be able to accommodate the ďI want to try all the games!Ē approach.

I quickly filled my five slots but now Iím not playing any of the new games (Dead Cells excluded but I suck too much to ever expect it to come off) playing other things instead. I havenít bought anything else though, so itís been fairly effective at keeping my backlog from growing. Iím fully expecting to finish the year with almost all of the games I now have on the list still there.
  • rice_sandwich 15 Apr 2019 06:25:56 5,492 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @dominalien

It was agreed that 25 to 30 hours is enough to tick off difficult rogue likes such as Dead Cells.
  • OllyJ 15 Apr 2019 07:21:05 4,492 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    DangerousDave_87 wrote:
    @OllyJ What's happening with Trials now?
    Well, there's a lot of bugs, and I'm normally quite understanding of bugs in games, but these make it not worth the effort, loot and items dissapearing, track breaking glitches within the editor, plus one nasty bug where during the stadium events it pits you against glitched Diamond trophy times which are basically unobtainable.

Factor in the awful Ubi style Icon hell map, and the Ubi style XP wall blocking off the fun tracks behind joy killing tasks, you just have a game that's not worth playing until those things are sorted, supposedly they are working on all these issues, so it's just on the backburner until then.
  • OllyJ 15 Apr 2019 07:24:00 4,492 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    Arcade Archives Donkey Kong 3 bought and off my list again after reaching my minimum 30 goes / 20p a time until purchase price spent rule. It'll now go into my regular retro game rotation. So far I've chalked up 150 goes of a dozen retro / arcade games. I managed to break into the top 50 on the online leaderboard but climbing any further is going to be really tough.

DK3 is not as good as Donkey Kong due to the less sophisticated gameplay. It's basically galaxians with a minor platforming element. Good simple fun but again, one for retro fans only.
    What do you mean 20p a go? You have to actually pay that every time? :o

EDIT: Ignore that, I see they are £5 each or thereabouts, looks pretty cool actually, quite fancy a go on some childhood classics.

Edited by OllyJ at 07:26:08 15-04-2019
  • dominalien 15 Apr 2019 08:12:49 9,145 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @rice_sandwich

Yeah, I know, but I wouldn't be able to look at myself in the mirror if I did that. :-) I'm ok with difficult games and have completed my fair share and I don't see this one as any different. I also think the 25 hours rule is a joke, so it's staying on. :-P
  • rice_sandwich 15 Apr 2019 08:16:55 5,492 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @dominalien

You are obviously a superior sort of gamer with elite skills.
  • dominalien 15 Apr 2019 08:18:44 9,145 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @rice_sandwich

Yeah, not so. Someone here completed Dead Cells at 50something runs. I'm way past that.
  • dominalien 15 Apr 2019 08:20:15 9,145 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    But I am ambitious if nothing else and I don't consider giving a game a couple dozen hours and calling it quits "completion".

Edited by dominalien at 08:20:39 15-04-2019
  • rice_sandwich 15 Apr 2019 08:22:18 5,492 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @OllyJ

No, it's just a fun way of accounting for the price. As Arcade Archive games are £6ish, if you have 30 goes it's like spending an afternoon at the arcade. I recall games being 20p a go in the 80s. You will not necessarily want to play these sorts of games loads and many of them are either endless or so unfairly difficult in their latter stages that they might as well be endless.

Get a flip grip if you want the best experience. It makes shooters a little easier when played in their correct vertical orientation.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.