Following Play What You Get, Get What You Play (2019) Page 80

• monkman76 15 Apr 2019 08:38:55 14,553 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    But I am ambitious if nothing else and I don't consider giving a game a couple dozen hours and calling it quits "completion".
    No one's calling it completion. Again, the challenge is *play* what you get, not complete what you get. Otherwise it's unfairly weighted against the old and cackhanded.
  • rice_sandwich 15 Apr 2019 08:42:28 5,327 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Indeed. We have fair effort ticks, standard completions and gold star completions on the menu, so those of feebler means can still participate. Of course you should generally try to complete games but it isn't always possible or desirable.
  • monkman76 15 Apr 2019 08:46:24 14,553 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Indeed. For example I'm halfway through Sekiro and will keep it on my list until I complete it. But I reserve the right to be able to pick up a difficult roguelike and take it off my list if I've given it a really good shot.
  • OllyJ 15 Apr 2019 08:53:22 4,429 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    @OllyJ

No, it's just a fun way of accounting for the price. As Arcade Archive games are £6ish, if you have 30 goes it's like spending an afternoon at the arcade. I recall games being 20p a go in the 80s. You will not necessarily want to play these sorts of games loads and many of them are either endless or so unfairly difficult in their latter stages that they might as well be endless.

Get a flip grip if you want the best experience. It makes shooters a little easier when played in their correct vertical orientation.
    I realised this the moment I hit "Post", my brain hadn't fully woken up despite driving to work haha.

They look great, well up for having a few on the go when I have a slot or three free.
  • rice_sandwich 15 Apr 2019 09:05:06 5,327 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @OllyJ

I recommend Donkey Kong and Strikers 1945. DK has three versions of the game, so you can at last play the actual arcade version. Strikers 1945 is an enjoyable shooter. It's not part of the Arcade Archives or Neogeo lines so it doesn't have online leaderboards.

The Hamster site has the list of games for the Switch. They add new games every few weeks.

http://www.hamster.co.jp/american_hamster/arcadearchives/switch/title_list.htm
  • dominalien 15 Apr 2019 09:19:29 9,079 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    Indeed. We have fair effort ticks, standard completions and gold star completions on the menu, so those of feebler means can still participate. Of course you should generally try to complete games but it isn't always possible or desirable.
    Glad I can keep it on then! For a minute there I was worried Iíd have it taken away ;-)
  • DangerousDave_87 15 Apr 2019 13:33:14 5,728 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @OllyJ Sounds like it's getting worse, rather than better. I was playing today and Track Central was taking a lifetime to load anything. Search results came back with zero results and the game closed down after finishing a track. :/

Why did they have to complicate so many things? I booted up Trials Evolution the other night and was amazed at how quickly everything was accessible and easily found. I do love the tracks in Rising though. The hard and extreme ones are so satisfying to play.
  • OllyJ 15 Apr 2019 14:21:05 4,429 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @DangerousDave_87 I've not even unlocked the extreme ones yet, I just can't be arsed.
  • splosh 15 Apr 2019 21:00:29 210 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I've been defeated.

Add me to the luzers.
  • THFourteen 16 Apr 2019 07:26:28 51,356 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Jesus Christ has anyone ever finished FFX? On the last real battle and fuck me, tried it ten times and not made a dent in the second form. At the stage where I might have to cheese it based on some faqs and special items.

Otherwise itís going to fall by the wayside which is a shame and Iím so close to the end. Donít understand the needless jump in difficulty after a game this long.
  • dominalien 16 Apr 2019 07:45:21 9,079 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't remember the final fight in FFX to be any different to any other FF or JRPG for that matter. The same thing happened in I am Setsuna, which I'd completed the other day. It was all very lite up until the last boss battle. I ground a little and learned its attacks and did it without too much hassle with a little patience. I'm sure you'll manage. :-)
  • rice_sandwich 16 Apr 2019 08:10:31 5,327 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @splosh

You mean you failed the challenge?
  • THFourteen 16 Apr 2019 09:19:35 51,356 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @dominalien

Don't get me wrong, i've completed a reasonable number of JRPGs in my lifetime.... although never a FF (didn't own a playstation), maybe FFVII but i can't remember.

Just feels like the rest of the game had some reasonably challenging but not too bad bosses, little grinding here and there and come back and it was fine. Then i get to the end and its like a brick wall.

And had a look at quite a few guides now, ultimately it's not a "bit" of grinding that i need to do to get through this, i am missing a tonne of things that people say "just use x y z".

Just going to get two wings to discovery and do the 9999 damage/healing trick i think.
  • Graxlar_v3 16 Apr 2019 12:57:33 5,955 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    @dominalien

Don't get me wrong, i've completed a reasonable number of JRPGs in my lifetime.... although never a FF (didn't own a playstation), maybe FFVII but i can't remember.

Just feels like the rest of the game had some reasonably challenging but not too bad bosses, little grinding here and there and come back and it was fine. Then i get to the end and its like a brick wall.

And had a look at quite a few guides now, ultimately it's not a "bit" of grinding that i need to do to get through this, i am missing a tonne of things that people say "just use x y z".

Just going to get two wings to discovery and do the 9999 damage/healing trick i think.
    Final boss is sin right? I kinda remember not having too much trouble with it, which is weird as i am usually underlevelled in JRPG's
  • Ceelion 16 Apr 2019 13:53:59 505 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So far the list looks like;

1. Everybody's Golf
    2 - 5 free.

Been eyeing up Sekiro, got The Surge downloaded waiting to open for a 2 hour test, and am really really trying not to buy Cities: Skylines, as I've wanted a building sim for AGES but unsure of how it will run on the PS4.

Having a kid in a week, so this not buying games malarky has been right helpful.
  • JoelStinty 16 Apr 2019 14:52:21 7,601 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Wahey! Got a win on Into the Breach. Have that Hive scum! Not sure whether to take it of my list or not. Would like to play with all the other mechs and have some fun with them. Played it between 20-25 hours so far, and not sure how regularly i will play it, but would probably pick it up now and again. Hadn't played it for a couple of months and managed a win on my 2nd try this time round.
  • OllyJ 16 Apr 2019 15:27:08 4,429 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ceelion wrote:
    So far the list looks like;

1. Everybody's Golf
    2 - 5 free.

Been eyeing up Sekiro, got The Surge downloaded waiting to open for a 2 hour test, and am really really trying not to buy Cities: Skylines, as I've wanted a building sim for AGES but unsure of how it will run on the PS4.

Having a kid in a week, so this not buying games malarky has been right helpful.
    Honestly, you better be fucking amazing at Everybody's Golf now!
  • THFourteen 16 Apr 2019 21:52:13 51,356 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    FFX DONE!!!

Am not touching another JRPG for a loooong time.

Edited by THFourteen at 21:53:46 16-04-2019
  • Graxlar_v3 16 Apr 2019 23:17:35 5,955 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Finished Hob :)
  • Graxlar_v3 16 Apr 2019 23:30:02 5,955 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    JoelStinty wrote:
    Wahey! Got a win on Into the Breach. Have that Hive scum! Not sure whether to take it of my list or not. Would like to play with all the other mechs and have some fun with them. Played it between 20-25 hours so far, and not sure how regularly i will play it, but would probably pick it up now and again. Hadn't played it for a couple of months and managed a win on my 2nd try this time round.
    I would take it off the list. Just because it is not on the list doesnít mean you canít play it :)
  • Chug666 17 Apr 2019 00:02:30 565 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mario + Rabbids is finished, free me up a slot please. Just in time for the Bank Holiday too!
  • THFourteen 17 Apr 2019 05:45:57 51,356 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    JoelStinty wrote:
    I would take it off the list. Just because it is not on the list doesnít mean you canít play it :)
    Still have it on mine, going for a 2, 3 and 4 island victory before calling it s day... think Iíve done 2 and 4 so just the 3 to go.
  • JoelStinty 17 Apr 2019 08:03:36 7,601 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    JoelStinty wrote:
    Still have it on mine, going for a 2, 3 and 4 island victory before calling it s day... think Iíve done 2 and 4 so just the 3 to go.
    Mine was a 4 island win, guessing 2 is harder as youíve cleared less stuff and got less upgrades?

Iím going to follow Graxís advice and take it of the list too.
  • THFourteen 17 Apr 2019 08:38:58 51,356 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    JoelStinty wrote:

Mine was a 4 island win, guessing 2 is harder as youíve cleared less stuff and got less upgrades?

Iím going to follow Graxís advice and take it of the list too.
    I didn't find 2 much harder, the baddies scale a bit better though.

I do find it hard with the mechs i'm using as one of them has a laser whcih is great, but the other one can only drag things around, and the other is a ramming one which means it takes damage to do damage, so a bit more thought involved. But want to get the 2,3,4 on the same mechs i think theres an achievement for that.
  • DakeyrasUK 17 Apr 2019 08:43:14 2,480 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Please add yakuza 0 to my games please. It has been installed on my ps4 for donkeys and yesterday I finally ayed the first couple of hrs.

So far so good!
  • THFourteen 17 Apr 2019 08:43:31 51,356 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    What's happened to the ducks!

My list updated, picked up The Walking Dead Final Season on Switch - taking rice's advice and going for something a little more bitesized this time. Will finish off ITB this weekend so I've got a clear slot too. TBC.

🏆 THFourteen ( 🦆 🦆 🦆 🦆 🦆 🎯 🎯 🎯 🎯;)
    🦆 Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Into the Breach, Shadowrun: Hong Kong, The Division 2, Walking Dead Final Season
    🎯 Battletech DLC, Torna DLC, Pokemon Let's Go, Final Fantasy X
  • crashVoodoo 17 Apr 2019 09:21:08 6,210 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'm working my way thru this WD2 and I've just completed the hack at nudle which seemed to be a trigger point of dumping new missions on me.

It's alright but the driving sucks balls and the variety in vehicles is rubbish. How far am I into the game?

Edited by crashVoodoo at 09:21:51 17-04-2019
  • Zomoniac 17 Apr 2019 12:12:07 9,959 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Mario + Rabbids finished. Danganronpa Ultra Despair Girls added cos I forgot I had to play that before 3.

List:
    Danganronpa Ultra Despair Girls
    Danganronpa V3
    Nier Automata
    Toy Commander
  • rice_sandwich 17 Apr 2019 14:13:08 5,327 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm on a slippery slope towards failure. Both Samurai Showdown V Special and the Konami Collection are out tomorrow but I have no space left for new stuff. Argh. Why did I sign up for this stupid challenge!?
  • THFourteen 17 Apr 2019 14:18:22 51,356 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @rice_sandwich

Anything on your list close to completion? You can always do a graxlar and claim you finished it tonight.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.