Play What You Get, Get What You Play (2019) Page 92

• PazJohnMitch 16 May 2019 21:41:09 14,651 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I never really understood the hate towards Witcher 3's combat. It was not the greatest but it never seemed actively bad.

Might have helped that I played on a harder difficulty that was a little stretching for me and I had to think about applying oils to the blade and other creature weaknesses to level the playing field.
  • Samildanach 16 May 2019 22:08:17 108 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @bighairybear65
    Always a good idea to back off from something that is taking over your life. Looks like a damn good move there. Online gaming especially can be a dangerous time sink. Best of luck with the plan!
  • monkman76 16 May 2019 22:30:33 14,930 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    I never really understood the hate towards Witcher 3's combat. It was not the greatest but it never seemed actively bad.

Might have helped that I played on a harder difficulty that was a little stretching for me and I had to think about applying oils to the blade and other creature weaknesses to level the playing field.
    I enjoyed Witcher 3's combat. It's nothing like the Soulsborne games but not everything has to be.

And the world is absolutely stunning. The harbour town (I forget the name) is one of the most 'real' feeling places I've ever been to in a videogame.

Sorry wunty.
  • bighairybear65 16 May 2019 23:18:38 288 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Samildanach cheers dude, got to the point of ridiculousness... like having a bookshelf with a thousand books on it, trying to choose which to read, therefore reading none...

Am quite happy with decisions 👍
  • bighairybear65 16 May 2019 23:18:39 288 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Post deleted
  • wuntyphyve 17 May 2019 08:49:33 12,669 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @monkman76 Hah, I'm going to have to pick it up I think. Although I'll just get the base game as knowing what I'm like and my record with The Witcher 2, I may never get around to the DLC part.
  • CowsMakeNoise 17 May 2019 09:46:45 73 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Assassins Creed Origins can come off the list, beaten the main story and completed all locations. Might dip in after a month or so for the last 2 trophies, but need something different to break it up.

Enjoyed the game. Mechanically itís strong, didnít ever feel too restricted by the level cap so I didnít have to go and grind. Level 40 by the end of the story which seemed about right. Combat is much improved since the old party everything AC of old. But I could not get into the story. Bayek spends the whole thing trying to avenge the death of his son. Who Bayek killed. Sure, he was trying to get someone else but I still feel his quest for the murderer should have stopped at the first mirror he found.

A solid 7 but having finished Iíve got no interest in Odyssey.
  • wuntyphyve 17 May 2019 12:54:54 12,669 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Right. I have held off from Witcher 3 owing to the fact that I have a huge amount of games sitting barely played in my library that I'm going to do first. I will be back once I've begun another. It looks like I'll be unearthing and continuing Black Flag.

In fact if you could be so kind Phattso to add Black Flag to my list I would very much like to tick it off as I was enjoying it before I binned it. I then just need to get these current ones finished.
  • Graxlar_v3 17 May 2019 13:29:57 7,752 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @wuntyphyve You sure Wunty.. it is on sale right now.
  • Derblington 17 May 2019 14:16:27 31,908 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    And it's very, very good.
  • wuntyphyve 17 May 2019 14:16:58 12,669 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yes.

No.

Fuck.
  • PazJohnMitch 17 May 2019 14:21:50 14,651 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It is excellent but it took me a good 8 weeks of solid play to beat the main quest and the first DLC. Need to return for the second at some point.
  • wuntyphyve 17 May 2019 14:27:15 12,669 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is the combat better than Skyrim? I loved Skyrim but couldn't take the blindly thrashing around with a stick approach to fighting things.
  • monkman76 17 May 2019 14:28:42 14,930 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It'll be down to opinion, but I had more fun with the Witcher's combat. That said, I've only played Skyrim handheld on a Switch, so that probably didn't help.
  • PazJohnMitch 17 May 2019 14:38:13 14,651 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I preferred everything in Witcher 3 to Skyrim. Skyrim has more options but the Witcher 3 just does everything better, especially side quests and characters.
  • adamasunder12 17 May 2019 14:41:23 741 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    Is the combat better than Skyrim? I loved Skyrim but couldn't take the blindly thrashing around with a stick approach to fighting things.
    I think Skyrim was far better played as an archer. They never did manage to make compelling hand to hand combat. I just walked backwards while swinging.
  • adamasunder12 17 May 2019 14:43:54 741 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Witcher 3 is great but make sure to play it on hard. You really want to make oils necessary as jot only is it truer to being a Witcher it made the combat more satisfying in general.

The world, characters and story are brilliant, some of the side quests are truly phenomenal and the DLC is not only superb but the first is the best case of foreshadowing I've seen in a game.

Get it basically.

Runs fab on the X too.
  • Graxlar_v3 17 May 2019 14:49:18 7,752 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    I preferred everything in Witcher 3 to Skyrim. Skyrim has more options but the Witcher 3 just does everything better, especially side quests and characters.
  • wuntyphyve 17 May 2019 14:49:20 12,669 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've bought it.

Screw you all.

*AHEM* Phattso there will be a delay in me starting Black Flag from my backlog. Blame everyone above. Witcher 3 is on my list. Tell my wife I love her.

Thank you.

/sob
  • Graxlar_v3 17 May 2019 14:49:56 7,752 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    I've bought it.

Screw you all.

*AHEM* Phattso there will be a delay in me starting Black Flag from my backlog. Blame everyone above. Witcher 3 is on my list. Tell my wife I love her.

Thank you.

/sob
    \o/ Take your time to learn gwent because it will take over your life towards the end of the game.

Edited by Graxlar_v3 at 14:50:24 17-05-2019
  • Derblington 17 May 2019 14:53:00 31,908 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Narratively it's probably the best game I've played. Not entirely in it's story or themes but just how polished and consistent it's entire world and characters are: every quest you undertake as Geralt feels right for his character and profession, his interests and skills. It all makes sense and nothing really feels like filler.

I like the combat but it takes a while to click. I also played on hard, and it means that you need to read up on the creatures in the bestiary to find their weaknesses and apply the oils, etc. It sounds very involving but it's never intrusive.

It's also stunning and has Gwent built in.
  • wuntyphyve 17 May 2019 14:53:48 12,669 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This is what happened with my challenge last year. Lasted until about may/june then completely and utterly shat up my pants full of half digested gaming matter.

I'll stick this challenge dammit. These pants are staying clean.
  • Graxlar_v3 17 May 2019 14:55:20 7,752 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    This is what happened with my challenge last year. Lasted until about may/june then completely and utterly shat up my pants full of half digested gaming matter.

I couldn't take the pressure anymore and decided to shat up my pants on purpose so I can be free. It feels so much nicer once the shit has hit the pants.
  • wuntyphyve 17 May 2019 14:55:23 12,669 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Right. I'll stick it on hard. Division, Surge and RDR2 are getting done first though. I'm in the last area in the surge, halfway through second epilogue in RDR2 and got three more main missions in Division 2.

Focus.
  • Graxlar_v3 17 May 2019 14:56:02 7,752 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    Right. I'll stick it on hard. Division, Surge and RDR2 are getting done first though. I'm in the last area in the surge, halfway through second epilogue in RDR2 and got three more main missions in Division 2.

Focus.
    who are you quaddy?
  • wuntyphyve 17 May 2019 14:56:17 12,669 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 Think of the pants grax. Those poor pants. Weighed down with the gaming shite seeping out the sides and down your knees.
  • adamasunder12 17 May 2019 15:02:44 741 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    I've bought it.

Screw you all.

Thank you.

/sob
    \o/ Take your time to learn gwent because it will take over your life towards the end of the game.
    See for me it was the opposite. Unlike Red Dead Redemption which is immersive as it is played in world Gwent is basically a separate game and took me out of the experience so I didn't play past the tutorial and didn't feel like I lost anything because of my decision.
  • Graxlar_v3 17 May 2019 15:03:45 7,752 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    @Graxlar_v3 Think of the pants grax. Those poor pants. Weighed down with the gaming shite seeping out the sides and down your knees.
    it is a nice cushion for when i sit down.
  • adamasunder12 17 May 2019 15:04:14 741 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:

I did the same. I bought an xbox last month and game pass and already facing paralysis of choice.

Plus I have now talked my way into wanting to play Witcher again......
  • wuntyphyve 18 May 2019 09:05:56 12,669 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Phattso whenever sir is next updating, please kindly move The Surge to the finished list, and I bought the Witcher 3 yesterday so if you could kindly pop that on my current list.

Merci huit ouef bon bon le bon jovi

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.