Play What You Get, Get What You Play (2019) Page 116

• DangerousDave_87 9 Aug 2019 19:08:55 6,245 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Today I bagged myself the Mario Rabbids Season Pass for the magnificent price of FREE! Please add it to my list. I'm very much looking forward to demolishing it. It comes with a few extra co-op maps, too. The co-op maps have been excellent to play through so far. Especially on the hard setting.
  • Cappy 10 Aug 2019 13:56:53 14,098 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've pulled out Portal 2 (Ps3) from the backlog... Still not finished Final Fantasy X.

Portal 2 is the most average 10/10 I've ever played. Was the shortness of the first game complained about that much? Portal 2 is much, much longer but there's a notable surfeit of padding where you're traversing expansive non-test chamber areas engaging in the worst aspect of the game, first person platforming and launching yourself around like a pinball trying to hit the ever elusive door out of this tiresome borefest.

There's a great game in there somewhere, sadly it's buried amidst hours of boring traversal that ruins the pace.
  • Samildanach 10 Aug 2019 14:20:42 100 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Cappy
    I loved Portal 2 from start to finish back in the day. I found the second half, after you acquire the 'potato', was stronger than the first which felt a little like just a rerun of the original.
    Having said that, I restarted it last year before I sold my PS3 only to find I really couldn't be bothered with the faff.
  • rice_sandwich 10 Aug 2019 16:23:40 5,582 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Spreadsheet updated. Phattso will update the first page post at some point.
  • Phattso 11 Aug 2019 10:33:11 24,799 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Updated.
  • Phattso 11 Aug 2019 11:00:08 24,799 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    OK - I think it's time for an adjudication from the masses. I made use of the Game Pass Ultimate offer MS were doing during E3, and snagged myself two and a half years of it for a decent price.

Since then I've been surfing a lot of that content as 'virtual backlog' as per the rules. Thing is, I opted into GamePass halfway through the year... it wasn't something I had running beforehand, or as a side-effect of XBL for playing online. Therefore is it 'fair' to be able to surf all these games?

Things I've downloaded, and put < 2hrs into: Prey, Sea of Thieves, Blazing Chrome, Sunset Overdrive, Slay the Spire, Night Call. Actually some of those I haven't even fired up yet.

But still - seems odd. Should this be immediate shunning? Should I have to give up a slot to the GamePass? Should I just bow out? Is it basically OK as long as I start counting the games once they hit that magi 2hr mark? SO MANY QUESTIONS! :)

Have at it, fiends.
  • Derblington 11 Aug 2019 11:26:13 31,801 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The latter.
  • rice_sandwich 11 Aug 2019 12:14:41 5,582 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's ok but it's a silly thing to do and a good way to waste your quality leisure time.
  • Phattso 11 Aug 2019 12:29:01 24,799 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    It's ok but it's a silly thing to do and a good way to waste your quality leisure time.
    I donít think so, actually. I donít have too much time to pile into games at all right now, and Iíve not found a new title to take all my attention. Browsing a lot of games that have caught my eye over the years (and discovering theyíre eminently ignorable shit) is kinda useful. Sorta what used to be trivial to discern back in the good old days when games had fucking demos!!!

Iím fairly sure that both Prey and Sea of Thieves will get an outing soon though.

Edited by Phattso at 12:29:27 11-08-2019
  • rice_sandwich 11 Aug 2019 12:34:40 5,582 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ok, carry on then.
  • [maven] 11 Aug 2019 12:45:54 5,625 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Prey I enjoyed.
  • Saul_Iscariot 11 Aug 2019 23:44:44 3,129 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DangerousDave_87 wrote:
    Today I bagged myself the Mario Rabbids Season Pass for the magnificent price of FREE! Please add it to my list. I'm very much looking forward to demolishing it. It comes with a few extra co-op maps, too. The co-op maps have been excellent to play through so far. Especially on the hard setting.
    Can I enquire as to how you got it for free?
  • DangerousDave_87 12 Aug 2019 01:29:19 6,245 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Gift from a friend who sold their copy in town and didn't realise they couldn't sell the DLC code with it. They weren't going to use it, so it was gifted to me. :)
  • Samildanach 12 Aug 2019 10:04:55 100 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Phattso
    So based on the premise that this whole experiment is 1) to stop the rabid buying of the latest new exciting game when you already have many to play; well you pass that premise.
    2) To take the time to enjoy the games you have/buy rather than abandoning them before they might get good; this one is a bit more iffy if, theoretically you never play any of them for more than two hours despite paying for the service.
    How about we tighten the screws and say you have to see the credits of one large or two small game pass games a month? What say you fellow challengers?

Edited by Samildanach at 10:05:42 12-08-2019
  • PazJohnMitch 12 Aug 2019 10:17:45 14,594 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Given the completion rates of a lot of people in the thread 1 big game a month is quite an ask.

In terms of my progress I am really enjoying VC4 and have earned A ranks on all missions so far. Should finish it this week. (On chapter 13/18 and think I have unlocked all but one side story).

One of my friends is threatening to buy me Blood & Truth and No Manís Sky VR. That is going to make things interesting as I do not really want NMS.
  • DangerousDave_87 12 Aug 2019 10:30:14 6,245 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah, I couldn't achieve that. In regards to big games, I've only completed 4 this year. Everything else I've been able to dip in and out of, or it's been quite short.

Edited by DangerousDave_87 at 12:25:58 12-08-2019
  • DakeyrasUK 12 Aug 2019 10:46:49 2,920 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think you need a spot out of the 5 if you are downloading and playing a game, though it only needs to take that 5th spot if you decide to play it beyond the 2hr mark. If you don't have a spot available then I'd question why you are not playing 1 of 5 already started.

I also got the game pass, started outer wilds and added it straight to my 5after the first hour as I new I wanted to complete it.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 12 Aug 2019 14:52:26 1,199 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    @Samildanach Iíve completed four games this year, but Iíve sunk 500 hours into two of those and canít see me completing more than two more this year. I usually enjoy huge games which take ages.

For me this thread is about not buying games I then donít play. It makes me think really hard about my purchases like I used to back in my childhood.
  • CowsMakeNoise 12 Aug 2019 16:36:00 67 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    To be fair, was the suggestion about completing a certain number of titles not more to do game pass/subscription exploits, where you end up playing 2 hours of each title and moving on?

Iíd agree with Guybrush, this thread is about that childlike feeling of having to rinse every game because youíd only get two a year. Except with five games because now weíre all that kid whose parents didnít want them and would have put us in the cellar if they could have gotten away with it.
  • Rivuzu 12 Aug 2019 17:15:41 18,182 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So I've done Gravity Rush 2 and Bloodstained, and I've met my "completion" criteria for SamSho.

Now I'm back to just playing DBFZ.

Am I essentially gameless? In a state of game like zen where my obsession with a single title is preventing me from buying anything else?

Or is it there's just nothing fucking good to play these days.
  • Phattso 12 Aug 2019 17:19:55 24,799 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The notion of completing X a month is a) unachievable for me, and b) a little too much like enforced fun. I think I'd bow out before I started placing arbitrary completion targets onto the subscription. :)

DakeyrasUK wrote:
    I think you need a spot out of the 5 if you are downloading and playing a game, though it only needs to take that 5th spot if you decide to play it beyond the 2hr mark. If you don't have a spot available then I'd question why you are not playing 1 of 5 already started.
    Welp, two of my five are busts (CODBLOPS4 which is incompletable, and Beat Saber PSVR which is also incompletable as my PS4 is now packed away) but I do have two slots free and Virtua Racing on the go (which I've already put a decent number of plays into).

I also got the game pass, started outer wilds and added it straight to my 5after the first hour as I new I wanted to complete it.
    First thing I did was add Crackdown 3 on there and complete it - so it's not like I've just been fucking about with new games and never actually playing anything. :)

Sea of Thieves and/or Prey are likely to get bumped up to slot taking status once I reach the two hour marks as I've been enjoying both. Then, of course, I'll have lots to play and won't be surfing the virtual backlog.

My initial query was really if I should be allowed to (and to continue to) surf the backlog of a sub I only just got. i.e. that isn't legacy. The spread of comments has been enlightening - some saints, and some HEARTLESS FIENDS amongst ye. :)
  • kosigan 12 Aug 2019 17:28:48 697 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My two penn'orth: any subscription service that gives you games (or access to them, at least) should take a minimum of 1 slot. If you're playing more than 1 game then the relevant number of slots. After all, if you're paying for a sub and not playing the games, then what are you paying for?
  • Phattso 12 Aug 2019 17:36:18 24,799 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Erm... the right to sample a bunch of different games and choose the ones to play? :)

I basically signed up so I could play through the MS exclusives I missed out on, the upcoming Gears 5, and possibly the new Halo next year. That's already paid for itself, so the rest is gravy.
  • Samildanach 12 Aug 2019 18:10:19 100 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Okay okay, maybe I'm to harsh (weaklings); may I then second Kosigan's suggestion of the subscription taking up one slot. You can't have it for FREE dagnabbit!
  • Phattso 12 Aug 2019 18:25:24 24,799 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Cool. So everyone here that has XBL and PSN and Switch Online needs to give up three slots? Noted. ;)
  • Cappy 12 Aug 2019 18:50:49 14,098 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Fine by me! I subscribe to none of the above services.
  • DangerousDave_87 12 Aug 2019 18:55:12 6,245 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I could fit in those lovely NES games as one slot. They counted as 1 game in last years challenge. I've clocked 70 hours at the minute, so it wouldn't be a slot wasted.
  • Derblington 12 Aug 2019 19:00:50 31,801 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Why would a sub count as a game slot? You don't play the sub. It doesn't take up the time of completion from anything else.

The games you play from any subs take up individual slots. The challenge has nothing to do with cash spend.
  • Samildanach 12 Aug 2019 19:02:01 100 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It takes a slot while you are not playing a game from it but are still paying for it? When you do play a game from the service it then uses that same slot?
    To be fair, I don't subscribe to any service so have at me if you will. I don't play multiplayer games these days and the very idea of an endless supply of games faster than I can play would be not good for me anyway.

Edited by Samildanach at 19:08:20 12-08-2019
  • Derblington 12 Aug 2019 19:19:40 31,801 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    But why would an online subscription count at all? You don't play it. It enables you to play other games which all count.

A console makes more sense but that's not part of the challenge either - you can't do anything with it unless you're playing games on it. It's the games that count.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.