Play What You Get, Get What You Play (2019) Page 119

• Carlo 2 Sep 2019 21:14:42 20,587 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Add and mark as 'Complete'... A short Hike.

Thanks!!!

(PS: Great game, cheap so buy it! And change the pixelation to 200% to make it look nice!)

Edited by Carlo at 21:17:14 02-09-2019
  • Red_Bool 3 Sep 2019 07:45:08 1,842 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    And Final Fantasy XII can come off my list! \o/

Been wanting to play this ever since the PS2 and it did not disappoint.
    In the end there actually was no need to grind for the final boss battle(s). My characters were all in the low 40s but equipped with the best stuff gil could buy. I think that after the Xenoblade Chronicles games this is my favourite battle system. The final battle had me optimizing gambits on the fly and made it a really fun experience.

Now to find a good deal on Astral Chain...
  • Graxlar_v3 3 Sep 2019 08:37:25 7,716 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Red_Bool Just in time for final fantasy 8
  • Red_Bool 3 Sep 2019 09:19:32 1,842 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 Nah. I played 7 and 9 on the PS1, but 8 never really took my fancy. And it still doesn't :). I think I'll take a break from JRPGs now (at least until No ni kuni comes out on Switch).
  • PazJohnMitch 3 Sep 2019 10:18:35 14,645 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Played some of Blood & Truth. It is pretty good but I have encountered a few bugs such as a wall I needed to climb not loading in. Also the motion controls are not quite up to aiming at the hidden targets which are often to the left or right. (Generally ok aiming forward, where the enemies predominantly are, though).

Also surprisingly not too bad on the motion sickness front, despite me having the weakest stomach ever. Still cannot play it for more than 30 minutes at a time though.

Also played most of the post credits stuff in VC4. A ranks on everything except the hard version of the final level. (Need to finish that to get the Ďtrueí ending apparently).

And have put about 4 hours into the DQXI demo. I will buy this later in the year. It is as quaint as ever. Although with the enemies walking around I am not sure how many of them I am supposed to fight. Seems very easy even though I avoid most of the enemies.
  • robthehermit 3 Sep 2019 12:07:48 7,425 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Just jumped in to Torchlight 2. Looks good so far, but the menu system is horrible.
  • Samildanach 3 Sep 2019 19:20:47 107 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Red_Bool
    It is a great game and an epic final battle...that music! There is however, a massive amount of content to discover now in the big wide world. Quite a lot of main story Dungeons and regions have high level areas initially blocked off, but hide the rest of the zodiac Summon beasties and big bosses.
    I also had a shock when I went back to beat the final boss after finally taking out the superbosses. Expecting an easy ride, I ended up scraping through as he utterly pummelled my over-confident team. He apparently becomes more powerful with every summon you have beaten and acquired.
  • PazJohnMitch 3 Sep 2019 22:40:04 14,645 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    DQXI Demo crashed a few times in a dungeon. Tad worrying.
  • CowsMakeNoise 3 Sep 2019 23:25:18 73 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And Dragonís Crown is down. Beaten with all characters, spent about 48 hours on it and still playing about with builds.

Oh, and I bought Rainbow Six Siege. Be aiming to do the terrorist hunts, situations and getting beaten 50 times online.
  • Red_Bool 4 Sep 2019 07:02:36 1,842 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Samildanach - Yeah, when doing some of the hunts (which were more fun than I expected) I sometimes ran into (tough as nails) bosses that were not story related. I also noticed that parts of the map were "locked" due to high-level enemies.
    Do you have to start a new game+ for this?
  • Samildanach 4 Sep 2019 07:42:18 107 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Red_Bool
    It's been a long time since I played it, but I remember that it is definitely not NG+. I can't remember how they unlock but it may be after you have a number of summons? (which you do now).
    Maybe load up your pre-bahamut save and have a look at one of the first few dungeons.

Edited by Samildanach at 07:43:40 04-09-2019
  • THFourteen 4 Sep 2019 09:08:01 52,820 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    Did you get the latest patch?

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/cwz1p7/dragon_quest_xi_s_demo_gets_a_patch_to_fix/
  • Red_Bool 4 Sep 2019 09:14:49 1,842 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Samildanach - ah good, as I somehow decided not to start a NG+ when given the option (it was late when I finished it...dunno). If I don't get distracted tonight I will have a look.
  • PazJohnMitch 4 Sep 2019 09:23:54 14,645 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    PazJohnMitch wrote:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/cwz1p7/dragon_quest_xi_s_demo_gets_a_patch_to_fix/
    Possibly not but I have not rejected any prompts to install a patch.
  • PazJohnMitch 4 Sep 2019 09:27:43 14,645 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Red_Bool wrote:
    @Samildanach - Yeah, when doing some of the hunts (which were more fun than I expected) I sometimes ran into (tough as nails) bosses that were not story related. I also noticed that parts of the map were "locked" due to high-level enemies.
    Do you have to start a new game+ for this?
    Did they add level gating into the Zodiac Age version? Exploring and wandering into places filled with super hard monsters was one of the things I loved about the vanilla FFXII.

Only boss I can remember struggling with (and resorting to a guide to beat) was Omega XII.
  • THFourteen 4 Sep 2019 09:32:14 52,820 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Gotta say i wasn't that taken with the combat in FFXII

Once you'd setup your gambits etc there was rarely a need to touch anything, just played the whole thing on fast forward.

I dont think i even used a black magic spell once in the whole game becuase i couldnt be bothered to set them up, but also didnt seem to need them
  • PazJohnMitch 4 Sep 2019 09:37:07 14,645 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I left my main character in manual control to avoid that.
  • Red_Bool 4 Sep 2019 10:08:32 1,842 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well, I'm a "software professional" so I love automating and optimizing stuff (or maybe I'm just lazy ;)) The gambit system is great for that. Although I have to agree that creating a good setup was not rocket science. I only had elaborate setups for my magic users (black, white and red mage), the rest only had three or four slots in use).
    But it sure beats having to manually wade through menus over and over during battles.
    The license boards were also more fun than I expected.

Edited by Red_Bool at 10:09:02 04-09-2019
  • GuybrushFreepwood 4 Sep 2019 10:52:08 1,266 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    PazJohnMitch wrote:

Check the version you're on. If it's 1.0.0 then you've not patched. I've heard that it is not clear if the patch has hit the UK yet.
  • PazJohnMitch 4 Sep 2019 12:25:17 14,645 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    GuybrushFreepwood wrote:
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    PazJohnMitch wrote:

Check the version you're on. If it's 1.0.0 then you've not patched. I've heard that it is not clear if the patch has hit the UK yet.
    Version 1.0.0
  • rice_sandwich 4 Sep 2019 18:51:15 5,608 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Spreadsheet updated.
  • DangerousDave_87 4 Sep 2019 21:05:13 6,318 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @rice_sandwich I see you're back into The Binding of Isaac. How's it going?
  • rice_sandwich 5 Sep 2019 06:53:53 5,608 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @DangerousDave_87

So so. I'm working on beating The Lamb / Blue Baby with a few characters. Runs of late have been frustrating, typically involving dying either on said bosses or just before. I reckon I've unlocked about 75% of items. Most of the remaining unlocks are with the harder to use characters. I've only beaten Delirium and Mega Satan with a couple of characters, so still a lot to do on the very last bosses.

I'm mostly playing BoI at the moment as I don't feel like starting a long and involved game right now. It's easy to play and a run is about 30 minutes at most. You get comically overpowered runs and ones that are hard due to weird item combinations. It's certainly the game that keeps giving in terms of content.
  • erniewhatbert 5 Sep 2019 10:06:04 3,012 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Update 5/9/19

Playing through Horizon Zero Dawn. It's ok-to-good - about 10-15 hours in so far - but I wish I was playing Breath of the Wild again!

I bought and 'finished' Windjammers on Switch i.e. completed the tournament on normal difficulty. It took me long enough. Much better multiplayer game though.

🏆 erniewhatbert ( 🦆 🦆 _ _ _ 🎯 🎯 🎯 🎯 🎯 🎯 🎯 🎯 )
    🦆 Ballistic NG, Horizon Zero Dawn
    🎯 Red Dead Redemption 2, Hyper Light Drifter, Bomber Crew, Red Strings Club, Subsurface Circular, Deltarune pt 1, Persona 5, Windjammers.
  • Vortex808 5 Sep 2019 10:11:41 13,344 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Can I please add Gears 5 to my list? I will be playing that from the end of this week on.
  • DangerousDave_87 5 Sep 2019 10:52:45 6,318 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @rice_sandwich I love the look of it and it's great hearing about folk on here who play it, but seeing your play time scares me a little. I've already got 2 time sinks on the go. Plus two RPG games. Ooph.

Oh yeah. Are you on discord? I remembered the other day I owe you a game!
  • rice_sandwich 5 Sep 2019 11:56:42 5,608 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @DangerousDave_87

BoI is a game to take a long view of. Aiming to complete it 100% during the lifetime of the Switch is doable.

I was on Discord but uninstalled the app as I've seriously cut down on my phone use, so not posting here as much and not really playing much atm (except BoI...and that's mostly because it's already loaded when I wake up the Switch).

I feel I'm getting too old to play loads of games and I think I've become much pickier about what's worth the time....so..eh...200 hours on BoI probably isn't worth it 😁
  • Chug666 7 Sep 2019 00:01:14 599 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Finally got to the credits on Zelda, which Iíve been playing exclusively since bloody June. I fully agree with comments from someone else here- itís a stonking game and well worth all the praise it gets but itís quite a relief to finish it off (nowhere near 100%, nuts to that).

Something short next I think... better check my list on page one.
  • dmj 7 Sep 2019 14:57:11 1,000 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Finished Super Mario Odyssey this morning (well, the story). Good to play something so joyful for a change. I'll do the extra stuff at some point. Or a bit of it anyway.
  • DangerousDave_87 7 Sep 2019 19:53:50 6,318 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It's not a bad idea leaving the extra stuff until you need more of a fill. It's an easy game to dip in and out of.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.