Play What You Get, Get What You Play (2019) Page 126

• Phattso 27 Oct 2019 10:21:42 24,889 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    First page updated - nice work, rice_sandwich! Came in here ready to do the updates, and you were already all over it.
  • Samildanach 27 Oct 2019 13:22:55 145 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    @Samildanach

Done. Surely you can polish off Parodius in a couple of hours?
    Well I have seen the ending by credit spamming my way through. With shmups though, it is difficult to say when you have 'beaten' them as per this challenge. A single playthrough to the end certainly shouldn't count, but a 1cc is often unobtainable unless you have skillz (that is me out then). I vaguely remember you applied a 30 attempts rule to yourself earlier in the year, and I haven't quite done that yet here...hence my need to get on with it and have a good go. It doesn't help that Sexy Parodius (the one I am playing) has a very easy and tedious first level, followed by a hellish second level where I invariably crash in the walls and lose all my power ups. Grr.
  • Red_Bool 28 Oct 2019 08:48:00 1,868 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I got to chapter 7 of Celeste yesterday. This is shaping up to be one of my favourite games ever. The moves I can confidently pull off now compared to when I started it is astounding!
    At times I was worried I would break my joycons (playing switch handheld) - not out of anger, but because of the intensity of the platforming :)
  • PazJohnMitch 28 Oct 2019 10:45:02 14,788 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Got 75% through the Impossible Lair after about 30 attempts.

I am getting better but this game is taking far longer than I had budgeted for.
  • OllyJ 28 Oct 2019 11:00:06 4,602 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Add Call of Duty Modern Warfare (2019)

(No Mans Sky and Kingdom Come well and truly on the backburner, a really silly mistake, and one I am paying for)
  • dominalien 29 Oct 2019 13:46:33 9,335 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ace Combat 7 is done! \o/ Please remove.
  • PazJohnMitch 29 Oct 2019 20:50:09 14,788 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    🎯Yooka Laylee and the Possible Lair

Only took 45 attempts.
  • docrob 30 Oct 2019 11:07:23 1,231 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Iím teetering. The Steam sale came along, and there are several really good deals I want to snap up. Iím away at the moment, but back tomorrow (last day of the sale)...

I do actually have one slot free. The trouble is that I donít have anything thatís likely to come off any time soon. I hit the wall with Battletech, and although itís a good game, itís a huge time sink and I havenít made it back yet. Two Point Hospital isnít grabbing me as I had expected, and I have no idea what would constitute Ďcompletioní anyway. Crosscode is a lot of fun, but will take me forever to get through (itís a proper JRPG in size). The only one I have any realistic hope of finishing is Outer Wilds, where I got hard stuck a while back and havenít tried again.
  • monkman76 30 Oct 2019 23:18:59 15,362 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Please add CoD Modern Warfare (2019) to my list.
  • Samildanach 30 Oct 2019 23:49:05 145 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Parodius Portable can come off finally. Beaten every level challenge in Sexy Parodius and managed to 2cc it (if that is a thing). 1cc would be another level beyond me due to the difficulty increase if you progress without fucking up. Will mull over what shmup to add next (always nice to have one on the go).
  • HarryPalmer 31 Oct 2019 14:39:54 6,008 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Add 428: Shibuya Scramble to my list please.

Iím dangerously close to busting. Played a couple of hours of both Vampyr and Horace and canít get into either of them. Anyone played either of those have any words of encouragement?
  • Chug666 31 Oct 2019 14:55:48 627 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If I don't finish Blasphemous tonight, can I apply for a 'highly commended' style pass please? I've made it to the last boss and have put three evenings into trying to beat the miserable fucker, but a couple of the spam attacks catch me every time and I have to stop for the sake of my health and the risk that my switch is going to end up embedded in the wall.

Fuck you fireballs.
  • rice_sandwich 31 Oct 2019 15:24:14 5,837 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    HarryPalmer wrote:
    Add 428: Shibuya Scramble to my list please.

Iím dangerously close to busting. Played a couple of hours of both Vampyr and Horace and canít get into either of them. Anyone played either of those have any words of encouragement?
    Surely Horace Goes Skiing is not that hard?
  • rice_sandwich 31 Oct 2019 15:25:23 5,837 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Chug666

Seems like a reasonable request. See what you can do and report back. Phattso might be the bad cop though 😁
  • wuntyphyve 31 Oct 2019 15:36:07 13,145 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Chug666 wrote:
    If I don't finish Blasphemous tonight, can I apply for a 'highly commended' style pass please? I've made it to the last boss and have put three evenings into trying to beat the miserable fucker, but a couple of the spam attacks catch me every time and I have to stop for the sake of my health and the risk that my switch is going to end up embedded in the wall.

Fuck you fireballs.
    Yeah. The last boss is shite. I just left it there and have no intention of going back to kill him. It's just a stupid pish platformy spam-fest.
  • Chug666 31 Oct 2019 15:57:35 627 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @wuntyphyve I'm glad it's not just me. I think its the delays getting to the fight that wind me up the most- running up the bloody stairs, clicking through unskippable dialogue, the excruciating drawn out delay between the first and second phases... and then full health to fucked by fireballs and shitty lightening.

And yet I'll still have another go tonight, probably get a bit closer to beating it, and won't quite be able to give up and move on. Gaming is a cruel (and largely pointless) hobby!
  • Graxlar_v3 31 Oct 2019 16:04:10 8,340 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    Chug666 wrote:

Fuck you fireballs.
    Yeah. The last boss is shite. I just left it there and have no intention of going back to kill him. It's just a stupid pish platformy spam-fest.
    Last boss sucked!

I did manage to beat him though (by going around and grabbing a few extra damage shrines and getting access to more of my ability pip things)
  • Chug666 31 Oct 2019 20:07:51 627 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    No need for clemency, finally beat the bastard (by backtracking to get a bead that gave fire damage protection- top tip blasphemous fans). Please legitimately remove blasphemous from my list.
  • Chug666 31 Oct 2019 20:26:21 627 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    BTW wunty, the ending is absolutely not worth the effort!
  • PazJohnMitch 31 Oct 2019 22:47:30 14,788 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    🦆Luigiís Mansion 3
  • rice_sandwich 1 Nov 2019 06:29:16 5,837 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You know what, looking at my list of completed games, I see that I haven't really played anything that I consider to be really, really good. One or two enjoyable games but nothing that stands out as exceptional. A lot of just fine 7/10 stuff mostly. I need to choose more carefully next year.
  • dominalien 1 Nov 2019 06:39:58 9,335 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @rice_sandwich I do not understand your list of games, much less why you failed.

I played some top games this year, some of them even newer than 10 years old.
  • Graxlar_v3 1 Nov 2019 06:54:00 8,340 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Chug666 there is a Ďtrueí ending but I couldnít be fucked to get it
  • rice_sandwich 1 Nov 2019 07:00:05 5,837 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @dominalien

I think I'd just had enough. I failed by rebuying Splatoon 2. The 18 months I lasted has been enough to somewhat reform my buying habits. I'm pretty good at holding off purchases, much less good at buying games that are really good and fit my tastes.

My list had N for new games and a number for a score. Baba Is You was one I really liked up until about the half way point. After that I felt the puzzles were overly complex and the game somewhat lost the thing that made it the most fun.

Edited by rice_sandwich at 07:00:45 01-11-2019
  • Chug666 1 Nov 2019 09:48:25 627 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 cheers, I watched it on youtube- I agree, the grind really wouldn't have been worth it (and re-doing the last bit can do one).
  • DangerousDave_87 1 Nov 2019 10:30:23 6,533 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote: Baba Is You was one I really liked up until about the half way point. After that I felt the puzzles were overly complex and the game somewhat lost the thing that made it the most fun.
    That's exactly how I feel about Baba. I completed that final level, but I know I've left a reasonable chunk of the game untouched. I do think the game lacks refinement. Or at least the puzzles do. Some of the early ones are great as they leave subtle hints as to how they might be solved. Later ones lack that completely and leave you to reverse engineer the puzzle's creation without any idea of theme or tricks being deployed.
  • docrob 1 Nov 2019 13:47:54 1,231 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Managed to not *quite* fail on the last day of the Steam sale.

Please add Unavowed to my list. Which takes me to my limit...
  • rice_sandwich 1 Nov 2019 21:03:27 5,837 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Spreadsheet updated.
  • docrob 1 Nov 2019 22:01:19 1,231 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Went back to Outer Wilds. This game has me very conflicted. The whole concept (nothing explained, you explore and find stuff out for yourself) is great. The atmosphere and the overall concept are fabulous. The issue is that much of the progress depends on solving puzzles that are annoyingly counterintuitive, or negotiating tricky platforming sections with frustratingly imprecise controls. The time-loop aspect is clever, but also maddening as some locations demand you move at super-speed to access them at all.

Iíve resorted to using a guide to get me through the last few bits, but these are still tricky, and also I donít think there are any complete walkthroughs available.
  • PazJohnMitch 2 Nov 2019 12:16:51 14,788 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    🦆Ring Fit Adventure

That has pretty much filled up all my slots until the end of the year.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.