Play What You Get, Get What You Play (2019) Page 127

• Phattso 2 Nov 2019 12:28:19 24,889 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    First page updated.
  • Samildanach 2 Nov 2019 12:56:36 145 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I am going to have another crack at Ikaruga. It has been long enough that I have forgotten how annoying it was to play (I'll regret this...). No need to add it as it is already on one of my slots as a failed poo. Any suggestions from you all what would constitute a satisfactory 'complete' for this? Hours played? # of Attempts?
  • rice_sandwich 2 Nov 2019 13:25:41 5,837 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Samildanach wrote:
    I am going to have another crack at Ikaruga. It has been long enough that I have forgotten how annoying it was to play (I'll regret this...). No need to add it as it is already on one of my slots as a failed poo. Any suggestions from you all what would constitute a satisfactory 'complete' for this? Hours played? # of Attempts?
    One credit clear? Sounds entirely reasonable :D
  • rice_sandwich 2 Nov 2019 13:27:17 5,837 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Or...failing that, thirty tries should just about do it. I think we agreed that a decent number of attempts is the way to play difficult arcade games.
  • Samildanach 2 Nov 2019 13:36:27 145 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    Samildanach wrote:
    One credit clear? Sounds entirely reasonable :D
    1cc?😭
    Okay, I'll aim for the 30 tries. Don't remove the poo emoji yet, as I may well remember that life is too short to play games one really dislikes. Maybe I will have an epiphany with it and end up loving it...

Anyway, it is part of my mission to finish as many of the games on my slots by the end of the challenge. FFX and ACRogue should be goners in time while Alien Isolation is too scary to play for long though and I suspect will not be done in time.
  • Samildanach 2 Nov 2019 15:45:43 145 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Oh, and on the subject of surviving this year's challenge, is the an end date in mind? Or am I being a bit premature here?
  • PazJohnMitch 2 Nov 2019 15:48:56 14,788 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Jan 1st 2020 at a guess
  • Phattso 2 Nov 2019 15:55:38 24,889 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Last year we had an amnesty between Christmas and New Year, which would put Crimbo as the end point.

That week in the middle is taken on trust, on the assumption that no fucker wants to be updating spreadsheets in between Turkey courses.

That said - last year had a hard count: ten new-to-you games only. This year, with the five slots, I don't think the same logic can apply. There's an argument for a continuation for those in progress, and a fresh start for us losers that punked out.

Perhaps the solution is somewhere in the middle:

- People who succeeded roll their lists over to the New Year, but get to remove up to two titles from it (one if this was your first rodeo, two if you also passed the ten game challenge).

- Those that punked out get a fresh start, but their service record will reflect their lack of self control.

Discus. ;)
  • dominalien 2 Nov 2019 16:03:57 9,335 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Please add Link's Awakening for me, thank you.
  • Samildanach 2 Nov 2019 17:11:22 145 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    How about the one or two 'challengers' who suspiciously have not changed since they started the challenge? Maybe a suitable suspicious icon rather than a trophy if they don't speak up?
  • rice_sandwich 2 Nov 2019 17:15:47 5,837 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think we accidentally added a few people who didn't actually sign up for this tear, and no doubt others have better things to do than play video games.

What we really need is several volunteers for spreadsheet and post update duties.
  • Samildanach 2 Nov 2019 17:25:38 145 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I think Phattso's suggestions seem very sensible. I second them.
    Rice, would it be easier if everyone else could update themselves on the spreadsheet, or would that be a terrible idea?
  • rice_sandwich 2 Nov 2019 17:40:06 5,837 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Samildanach

We need a few forumites of good standing who can be trusted to update the spreadsheet on Google, then logging into a password shared EG account for the purposes of updating the first post. That way the pressure is not always on Phattso to update the first post. In fact I'm fairly sure he'd be delighted to take a back seat next year, as would I.

Edited by rice_sandwich at 17:40:27 02-11-2019
  • monkman76 2 Nov 2019 17:45:33 15,362 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    🎯 Return of the Obra Dinn

Great little game, very clever. RECOMEDED
  • Samildanach 2 Nov 2019 21:56:44 145 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @rice_sandwich
    Ha ha, this the point where everybody looks at their feet and quietly sidles off muttering something about being really busy all the time and their hamster had anxiety issues that needs more attention.
  • DangerousDave_87 2 Nov 2019 22:13:16 6,533 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Put me down for Ring Fit Adventure, please! I've only completed the first stage, but I'm knackered. I'll try my best to finish the campaign.
  • rice_sandwich 3 Nov 2019 11:09:32 5,837 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Phattso

Yo Phattso.

Check out the spreadsheet. There's a new tab with interesting information. I'll leave it up to you to do whatever you think is best!
  • rice_sandwich 3 Nov 2019 11:13:23 5,837 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    DangerousDave_87 wrote:
    Put me down for Ring Fit Adventure, please! I've only completed the first stage, but I'm knackered. I'll try my best to be number 1 worldwide for my age group.
    Fixed that for you, Dave.
  • Phattso 3 Nov 2019 12:44:52 24,889 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @rice_sandwich Megadrive on the Tetris isn't all that hard to source, actually. :)
  • CowsMakeNoise 3 Nov 2019 18:16:28 83 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Been a while since I last updated. Bought RE2 remake, finished Warhammer Inquisitor, and bought Hitman 2 to celebrate. Then finished RE2 remake.

Current list is
    🦆 Rock Band 4, Rainbow Six Siege, Blood Bowl 2, Hitman 2
    🎯 (all the old stuff plus) Warhammer Martyr Inquisitor, Resident Evil 2.

More than happy to help with updating the list. I promise not to go mad with power.

Edited by CowsMakeNoise at 18:16:51 03-11-2019
  • DangerousDave_87 3 Nov 2019 21:00:44 6,533 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @rice_sandwich Did I mention that I'm 104?
  • Nazo 3 Nov 2019 23:01:14 1,094 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    How are you finding Ring Fit Adventure? I'm quite tempted.

Also, I'm amazed you guys have got to October without implementing some kind of automation for the updates.
  • DangerousDave_87 4 Nov 2019 00:37:30 6,533 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Nazo Its probably a little too early for me to say, but I'm enjoying it so far. It certainly gives you a full workout. Exercises I thought would be quite tame were actually quite challenging (and you can adjust the difficulty if you find things too difficult or easy). For someone like me (as skinny as a rake) there's a decent opportunity to build up some upper body muscle.

It's a lot more immediate than Wii Fit, which I like. After your first session, you're pretty much good to jump into a 30 minute session without much menu hopping. The RPG/ Adventure elements are a nice touch, but it's just a fancy way of stringing together exercises and visualizing progress. Its more entertaining than Wii Fit in that regard and, as I say, is more streamlined than Wii Fit.

It also constantly advises you have a towel and water nearby and I'd certainly recommend it. It really does push you.
  • PazJohnMitch 4 Nov 2019 07:25:57 14,788 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    As a person of considerable substance, flab mainly. I have found ring fit to be challenging in terms of exercises but also fairly enjoyable as a game.

Playing on difficulty level 18. (Out of 30).
  • Phattso 4 Nov 2019 07:59:31 24,889 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Nazo wrote:
    Also, I'm amazed you guys have got to October without implementing some kind of automation for the updates.
    Such as? Plucking free text out of a thread without a fixed format is non trivial. Even with a fixed format itíd be quite tough. Suggestions welcome.
  • rice_sandwich 4 Nov 2019 09:06:16 5,837 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Phattso

It's super simple. Write a web scraper that picks up the guff posted here, integrates with Google Sheets and then interfaces automatically with the Reedpoop API for first post updates. No need to thank me.
  • Nazo 4 Nov 2019 09:06:48 1,094 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Impressed would have been a better choice of words than amazed; it must take a lot of work to keep this thing up to date.

Iíd go with a fixed format. Something like

New: xxx
    Completed: yyy
    Abandoned: zzz

As long as people can stick that in their post somewhere it should be easy enough to slurp it out with regex. Probably too late for this year but worth thinking about if you are going to run the same again next time.
  • rice_sandwich 4 Nov 2019 09:13:28 5,837 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, good luck with getting people to follow those very simple instructions 😀
  • Phattso 4 Nov 2019 09:36:06 24,889 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah, thatís why I never bothered. If the system relies on you fuckers being consistent weíd be fucked from the get go. :-)

Regex is one thing, but marrying up finish events to start events? Well... feel free to give it a go!

Itís automated after the data entry bit - that first post isnít manually created. But the data entry bit is probably here to stay. I toyed with a DB plus a simple account system and UI bolt ons..... but at that point itís not an EG thing any more.
  • Samildanach 4 Nov 2019 09:51:54 145 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I am happy to put my name in the ring to help updating next year. I am mindful that I am relatively new round here so it is okay if you would prefer more longstanding members. Err..and I have very little experience with spreadsheets, though presumably it is a fairly simple thing to do in this case.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.