Play What You Get, Get What You Play (2019) Page 128

• rice_sandwich 4 Nov 2019 09:55:35 5,837 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Samildanach

If you can type text into a box and make sarcastic comments from time to time you're good to go.
  • Nazo 4 Nov 2019 10:12:29 1,094 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Such little faith in the community. Just because they’re a bunch of ill-disciplined reprobates that can’t even control their own game purchases without the pressure of scorn and disapproval from their peers doesn’t mean they are incapable of... oh right, I see what you’re getting at.
  • rice_sandwich 4 Nov 2019 10:17:20 5,837 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Indeed. Anyway, silly season is almost here. I can't wait to rack up those poo icons. It's going to be a regular poo party in here.
  • Phattso 4 Nov 2019 10:22:16 24,889 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    "Poo Party" was last year's slogan. It's "Faecal Rave" this year.
  • rice_sandwich 4 Nov 2019 10:32:54 5,837 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That is awful 😁

I feel now is a good time for those who don't already have one to pick up a Nintendo Switch. Imagine sitting on the sofa / in bed / toilet, getting to grips with Mario, Splatoon Luigi's Mansion, Hollow Knight and many other gem during the xmas holidays. Go on, treat yourself. You deserve it after slaving away all year.

And I'm sure there's loads of goodies to be picked up for Xbox, PS and on Steam. Don't miss those sales, folks. Buy early, buy often, fill yet boots! Late adopter? No worries. Get that cheapo xbox and a game pass and you're sorted.
  • Samildanach 4 Nov 2019 10:44:51 145 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @rice_sandwich
    I think I should be able to manage that then! 🖒
  • Saul_Iscariot 4 Nov 2019 11:39:44 3,234 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Finished Twilight Princess HD. Nearly sixty hours. Picked up Luigi’s Mansion 3.
  • kosigan 6 Nov 2019 12:17:05 698 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Add NFS Heat for me. I was thinking of getting Xenon Racer as it's on sale, but resisted as I don't have a spare slot.
  • rice_sandwich 6 Nov 2019 17:59:01 5,837 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Spreadsheet updated.
  • crashVoodoo 6 Nov 2019 19:02:36 6,470 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I don't mind doing some sheet updating next year if you need people. My skills are the fact that I smashed last year's challenge and I'm nailed on for this year's as there are no other games I want to buy just yet. BL3 has me covered

Edited by crashVoodoo at 19:02:51 06-11-2019
  • Jono62 6 Nov 2019 22:59:05 22,990 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Completed Outrun for the first time ever! Also completed Celeste, well the main part. Not sure I could stomach the B sides.

Bought Phoenix Wright: ace attorney trilogy.
  • dominalien 7 Nov 2019 08:04:15 9,335 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Crossing Souls is done.
  • rice_sandwich 7 Nov 2019 08:19:02 5,837 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So, of the meagre and disappointing amount of games completed this year - with one or two noticeable exceptions - what stands out as being slot worthy that you would recommend as must plays to others?

Any hard avoids this year that you just couldn't get into?

I am still bitter about Parkitect. I have not forgotten or forgiven.
  • dominalien 7 Nov 2019 08:34:47 9,335 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm very happy with the games I've been choosing, probably with the exception of Dragon Age: Inquisition, which was mildly OK, but I haven't felt compelled to get back to it in months.

If I'm to pick some favourites, Ys VIII is just fantastic, as is Prey.
  • Red_Bool 7 Nov 2019 10:12:52 1,868 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Please add Luigi's Mansion 3 to my list. I bought and downloaded it yesterday for one of my boys but I will definitely be playing it as well (loved the 2nd one on the 3DS).

For the rest of my list:
    Due to a lack of free time I have only played short bursts of Celeste (which is truly awesome) and have only scratched the surface of DOS2 (as in I got off the boat). My goal for Lumines was to get all the skins, but I think I will settle for reaching level 100 (got to ~90 so far).
  • DangerousDave_87 7 Nov 2019 12:16:24 6,533 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @rice_sandwich Its been a mixed year for me on the whole. Even though I only have the Switch (in regards to modern consoles), I've only picked up a couple of the year's biggest releases. Links Awakening was a fantastic nostalgia trip, but it's hard to recommend to anybody who wasn't playing games in the 90s.

I guess my stand-out, slot-worthy game would be 2017's Mario Rabbids, which I absolutely adored. It's not overly complicated, or statistically random, and it's length is perfectly judged.

I don't really have any hard avoids, though. I've been a lot more experimental with my gaming choices this year, but I've been lucky (so far) in not finding any outright duds.

Having said that, I persevered with Octopath, which was twice as long as it needed to be. If anything, this challenge has reinforced a bad habit in which I persevere with games I'm no longer enjoying. I should have just sacrificed the slot and moved on. It was fun for 40 hours, which makes it worth the price of admission, but I really didn't need to suffer the additional 40 hours to have removed from one of my slots.
  • monkman76 7 Nov 2019 12:24:57 15,362 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @rice_sandwich Good question, and actually, looking at my completions I'd say I've had a good year. Hitman, Resident Evil 2 REMake, Apex Legends and Astrobot are as much of a must play as anything can be I'd say. Of those four, only RE2 is *not* one of my games of the generation.
  • Red_Bool 7 Nov 2019 12:47:00 1,868 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @rice_sandwich - Recommendations from my list are Dead Cells, AC Odyssey and Celeste. Those are the definite highlights for me this year.
  • OllyJ 7 Nov 2019 13:05:29 4,602 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @rice_sandwich From my list:

Assasins Creed Odyssey, Sekiro, Slay the Spire, Wreckfest
  • Samildanach 7 Nov 2019 20:32:47 145 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @rice_sandwich

Hmm, worthy games eh?

So out of my played collection:
    FFX Remastered, [💩] Ikaruga, Alien Isolation, AC Rogue
    🎯 Jamestown Plus, Dark Souls 2 SOTFS, Assassins Creed IV, DMC, Bioshock Infinite & dlc, Joe Dever Lone Wolf, The Last of Us Remastered, Dragons Dogma, Battle Garrega, COD4 MW, Parodius Portable

The hardest pass I would say is Lone Wolf. Even as a big fan of the books I only JUST struggled through and beat it. I note that the 'complete the game' trophy for that one is 0.3% of all owners.... and it isn't overly hard, just a bit shit.

I enjoyed Dark Souls 2 the most, but I love Souls games, so that is a biased perspective. For the rest... all a bit average I'm afraid. Bioshock Infinite probably rises to the top for me, good story and great setting.

As for the shmups (I count as an entire different category to all the other big games), Battle Garegga is wonderful (though a bit pricey to get hold of) and Jamestown plus is lots of fun too. Ikaruga on the other hand...

So after the games in my current slots, I crack open the heady brew that is Dragon Age Inquisition before I can finally move onto the waiting gourmet delights of 2015's games (kind of doing by year as a way of getting through the backlog and stopping my randomly buying of the latest thing out unnecessarily).

Edited by Samildanach at 20:33:39 07-11-2019
  • monkman76 7 Nov 2019 20:35:48 15,362 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    🦆 Death Stranding
  • rice_sandwich 9 Nov 2019 10:42:58 5,837 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Spreadsheet updated. I'm around today so it's a good time to mention any required updates, (Phatto's) errors, or sketchy completions.
  • Phattso 9 Nov 2019 11:40:56 24,889 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    First page updated.
  • monkman76 9 Nov 2019 11:51:05 15,362 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:(Phatto's) errors
    IRONY KLAXON
  • DangerousDave_87 9 Nov 2019 19:00:32 6,533 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Can you take Dead Cells off my list? I've completed it 17 times in 43 attempts and found all runes, all areas, etc... With the weapon pool starting to become a bit of a mess I thought I'd wrap it up there.

It's a great game that plays beautifully, but the increasing number of weapons and forced grinding (+ and ++ weapon upgrades) to simulate player development kinda stops this from becoming a classic.

I've still to complete it on hard, and I'll keep coming back to try and achieve that, but grinding for appropriate upgrades is a chore.
  • HarryPalmer 9 Nov 2019 19:04:35 6,008 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I’m dead.

Death Stranding tipped me over the edge.

Some very poor planning on my part. I think I’ll finish everything on list but had no will power.
  • rice_sandwich 10 Nov 2019 06:42:47 5,837 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @HarryPalmer

Rave on, user HarryPalmer.
  • rice_sandwich 10 Nov 2019 06:47:14 5,837 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @DangerousDave_87

Done. What's up next monsieur dangereux?
  • dominalien 10 Nov 2019 07:37:41 9,335 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Please add Link’s Awakening for me.
  • rice_sandwich 10 Nov 2019 07:58:18 5,837 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @dominalien

Done.

In other news, I note that 40 days remain until I stop work for the xmas holidays. This means, unless by some holy miracle Phattso takes an interest, that after December 20th I don't really care what you do and I will not update the spreadsheet.

T minus 40

The countdown begins!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.