Play What You Get, Get What You Play (2019) Page 129

• DakeyrasUK 10 Nov 2019 08:14:46 4,267 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    OK I saw the credits roll on Astral Chain Friday night. Have since gone back in to the epilogue chapter that is just more combat challenges. Will continue to clear them over the coming weeks (only 6 left to do) when on my switch out and about but the story is complete.

My focus at home is now shifting to death stranding that I was gifted yesterday. Though won't be starting until tonight or later in the week.

40 days left to complete this challenge!?

Think it is a given now as despite their being out lots I want to buy (zelda LA, luigi mansion 3, stretchers, pokemon sword/shield, monkey ball, disco elysiym and others I'm forgetting) with Xmas approaching I have neither the funds or justification!

With the ps4 getting used again, I should probably go and play through yakuza 0 too!
  • Chug666 10 Nov 2019 09:12:14 704 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Katana Zero added to my list please. Loving it so far, played as a portable companion to The Surge which I've also just started (it's been on the 'to play' pile for about two and a half years, feels good to finally make a dent).

If I buy that goose game purely to entertain the kids whilst it rains, does that count too?!
  • dominalien 10 Nov 2019 09:32:22 9,652 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    How do we ĒcompleteĒ the challenge? Is not failing enough? Or do I have to have 0 ongoing games?
  • DangerousDave_87 10 Nov 2019 09:52:07 6,811 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @rice_sandwich I'm not sure. I might focus on other games in my list. I've not touched FFVII for months and I've played a meagre 3 hours of Darkwood. If I can clear either of those, I might treat myself to Luigi's Mansion. Maybe.
  • DangerousDave_87 10 Nov 2019 09:53:31 6,811 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Chug666 Is fairly easy and only lasts 3 hours, so I wouldn't worry if it consumes a slot.
  • rice_sandwich 10 Nov 2019 10:25:21 6,452 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @dominalien

Just don't fail but obviously having zero games remaining and 100% completion of every game, all with platinum trophies /1000 gamer points is what everyone should be aiming for.

I am still waiting for Phattso's completion of Beat Saber
  • Phattso 10 Nov 2019 11:14:00 25,473 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Heh - you'll be waiting a while longer yet. PS4 has been in storage since early August, and doesn't look like it'll be coming out any time soon. :)

First page updated, btw.
  • rice_sandwich 10 Nov 2019 11:42:08 6,452 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Phattso

Buy a new PS4. Just get it done :D
  • Phattso 10 Nov 2019 11:59:03 25,473 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'd have to buy a new PSVR too! :D
  • rice_sandwich 10 Nov 2019 12:12:47 6,452 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Phattso

Go for it!
  • monkman76 11 Nov 2019 19:49:42 16,157 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    🎯 Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare
  • rice_sandwich 11 Nov 2019 19:53:19 6,452 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @monkman76

What about Sekiro? It's been on your list for a fair while.
  • monkman76 11 Nov 2019 21:10:00 16,157 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah that oneís staying there Iím afraid, unless I have a serious change of heart. I got about halfway though and mostly really enjoyed it, but came up against one tough boss too many - and I hear the back half of the game is rotten with hard boss fights. Lifeís too short :)
  • DangerousDave_87 11 Nov 2019 21:29:38 6,811 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If it's anything like Dark Souls, the final third is an ill thought out, padded, unfinished chore.
  • rice_sandwich 12 Nov 2019 07:48:51 6,452 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    Yeah that oneís staying there Iím afraid, unless I have a serious change of heart. I got about halfway though and mostly really enjoyed it, but came up against one tough boss too many - and I hear the back half of the game is rotten with hard boss fights. Lifeís too short :)
    If you've given it a fair go it can be taken off your list.
  • OllyJ 12 Nov 2019 08:47:30 4,758 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    DangerousDave_87 wrote:
    If it's anything like Dark Souls, the final third is an ill thought out, padded, unfinished chore.
    Nah, it's really not.
  • monkman76 12 Nov 2019 09:24:34 16,157 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @rice_sandwich Thanks rice but I think it's right that Sekiro stay on my list. I got past the first well-known hard mid-game boss eventually with blood, sweat and tears - then the next tricky boss I came up against, I just gave up after two or three goes. I know I could do it (I've beaten Souls games in the past), but I just don't really want to.
  • DangerousDave_87 12 Nov 2019 09:53:16 6,811 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @OllyJ Thatmight be contreversial onion, but I stand by that. That last chunk with the 4 boses you have to hunt out in different parts of the maps, there's no way that was finished properly. That's some of the worst level and boss design I've experiencedin anything close to taking a Metroidvania. It's like they just ran out of time at that point.

Tell a slight lie, I liked the boss that increased in number, but even that felt like an unfinished concept.

Edited by DangerousDave_87 at 09:54:26 12-11-2019
  • Graxlar_v3 12 Nov 2019 09:58:13 10,218 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    DangerousDave_87 wrote:
    @OllyJ Thatmight be contreversial onion, but I stand by that. That last chunk with the 4 boses you have to hunt out in different parts of the maps, there's no way that was finished properly. That's some of the worst level and boss design I've experiencedin anything close to taking a Metroidvania. It's like they just ran out of time at that point.

Tell a slight lie, I liked the boss that increased in number, but even that felt like an unfinished concept.
    I think Olly was saying Sekiro was not like that. It is well known that Dark souls was unfinished (lost izalith in particular) Dukes Archives was a good area though.

The last boss area though, that was 100% perfect.

Edited by Graxlar_v3 at 09:59:03 12-11-2019
  • OllyJ 12 Nov 2019 15:12:17 4,758 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @DangerousDave_87 What onion?

I really enjoyed the last third of the game, especially on NG+...sure there's a bit of re-use but it's nowhere near Bed of Chaos levels of bad.
  • Samildanach 12 Nov 2019 16:34:41 345 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, of the last third we have:
    Kiln of the First Flame which I agree couldn't be better; Duke's Archives and (lower) New Londo which are decent areas and Tomb of the Giants which is terrifying and difficult but certainly not poor.
    This leaves Crystal Caves, Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith as the only genuinely poor areas which is not bad for such a big game after the much smaller Demon's Souls.
    Personally, I always enjoy Izalith, as the 'city' bit has a few interesting nooks and crannys. The awful first bit is a non-issue now as you just follow the twisting path with little trouble from the dino-arses.
    Crystal Caves and especially Demon Ruins are always the low points for me, especially the section with the wide plane full of Taurus Demons just standing there (which reminds me of the Doom maps I used to badly make where I would just have a wide space with Cyber demons pasted over all of it).
  • DangerousDave_87 12 Nov 2019 16:45:52 6,811 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I would actually like to play Demons Souls at some point. If it's shorter, that's actually better for me. I've heard good things about it. Not too fussed about playing the other Dark Souls games though.
  • Samildanach 12 Nov 2019 19:02:47 345 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @DangerousDave_87
    Yeah it's only got twelve 'areas' not counting the brief tutorial and final areas. Bags of atmosphere which really made my first souls experience a terrifying one.
  • DangerousDave_87 12 Nov 2019 21:12:38 6,811 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ha. Only just noticed the onion typo!

The atmosphere and environments are fantastic in Stark Souls. That's definitely the main appeal for me. I do like the character/boss lore as well. I wish more of that was accessible or obvious within the game itself. The difficulty does kinda pull you away from that somewhat. In my experience, of course.
  • dominalien 13 Nov 2019 06:42:59 9,652 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Demonís was smaller, but it played differently. You had to go through the area and defeat the boss before you could activate the next bonfire. Since you were unlikely to do that on your first 5-10 attempts (maybe with the exception of 1-1), it meant you got to know each area intimately as you were trying to find the fastest route after having explored it thoroughly. I liked Dark very much, but that was one design element I missed from Demonís.
  • OllyJ 13 Nov 2019 08:51:03 4,758 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    May as well wait for the (totally confirmed) Demon's Souls remaster.

I wouldn't Skip on Dark Souls 1 and 3, both brilliant games, DS1 does unfortunately have a few dump areas, and two godawful bosses (one of them being a reason I find it hard to FULLY recommend)

But DS3 really perfected it, the atmosphere and visuals are just so good, don't miss it!
  • OllyJ 13 Nov 2019 08:55:37 4,758 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Also as for this whole "test" I feel I've messed it up after a fairly solid start, I know the problem, I really wanted a game to sink my teeth into after a run of nice little indie/smaller games, and bounced off two in quick succession, leaving my list with 3 big open worlders on there.

I'm still doing OK, as AC:odyssey is going to keep me going until 2020, leaving two slots for the odd game here and there.

I don't know how to combat that particular problem, can't help it if you bounce off a game (I did buy them both cheap in a sale too, and ACO was also bought in a large UBI sale for under £20), though I'm very happy with the number of games I have seen from beginning to end.

Edited by OllyJ at 08:55:49 13-11-2019
  • PazJohnMitch 13 Nov 2019 09:14:09 15,989 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I am making decent progress on Luigiís Mansion 3. On floor 13/15 so expect to finish it at the weekend.

I do not have any big games on the radar. So I am not expecting to buy anything else this year (unless Obra Dinn or Ori are in an eshop sale or the EA Star Wars game reviews exceptionally well).
  • DangerousDave_87 13 Nov 2019 19:32:15 6,811 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So, Luigi's Mansion 3 is long like a Christmas present and Dragon Quest 11 is almost certainly going to be put off until the new year (as I'm still playing Builders 2), so I've had a look at my unfinished/unreleased Wii and Wii U games for my 5th slot.

It would have made sense to finish one of the other games instead, but put me down for The Last Story. I hear it's a fairly short game for RPG standards and I'm probably not going to touch FFVII again. It's just not as exciting to play through again as I thought it would be.
  • Cappy 13 Nov 2019 20:49:49 14,218 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Updateishness:

Completed: Plague Tale Innocence (PS4)
    Started and completed Remothered (PS4)

Umpire's decision pending: Shenmue 1 & 2 HD. I already owned the Dreamcast versions, double dipped on the the PS4 version for the sake of convenience. Much, much regret. How did I tolerate this rancid, pungent shit back then? Played Shenmue HD for less than 2 hours. I did not find any sailors. I just want to abandon this and pretend it never happened.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.