Play What You Get, Get What You Play (2019) Page 134

• Phattso 1 Dec 2019 23:18:45 24,903 posts
    Seen 40 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Get on Unavowed. You can do a run through in a couple of evenings. :)
  • DangerousDave_87 1 Dec 2019 23:40:48 6,581 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Why is it I keep going back to play stuff I've already played to death, rather than finish what I have? I'm playing Fortnite, which is the same old game every single time and I've just picked up Trials Rising again, having rinsed the main game. Yet the game's in my list sit there unloved.

I'm just glad I've not got Rocket League installed at the moment, otherwise it would just be that.
  • rice_sandwich 2 Dec 2019 05:46:10 5,935 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @DangerousDave_87

It's the comfort of the familiar. Or you're getting old and fear change or wasting time learning new fangled things that turn out not to be worth it.
  • Chug666 2 Dec 2019 14:23:26 633 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    @Chug666

'Polish off' being a 100% no death speed run completion, of course.
    If I had that type of skill and dedication I wouldn't be on this thread...

And I failed, but I'm pretty close to the end I think. Great game!
  • docrob 2 Dec 2019 17:07:30 1,247 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    DangerousDave_87 wrote:
    Why is it I keep going back to play stuff I've already played to death, rather than finish what I have? I'm playing Fortnite, which is the same old game every single time and I've just picked up Trials Rising again, having rinsed the main game. Yet the game's in my list sit there unloved.

I'm just glad I've not got Rocket League installed at the moment, otherwise it would just be that.
    Yeah, my go-to is Overwatch, which I said from the outset I wouldnít count because it will never be Ďfinishedí and Iíve been playing since shortly after release.

Iíve also played through GTA V over the last month. As Iíve finished it before, I didnít allocate it a slot (but not claiming a completion either!)
  • monkman76 2 Dec 2019 17:09:12 15,474 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I just bought an Xbox One X and 3 months of Game Pass, so I may be about to crash out in a blaze of glory.
  • rice_sandwich 3 Dec 2019 09:12:18 5,935 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Crash and burn on the last corner of the great pigwhip race. Kaboom! Only a few more days to go but I'm sure tempting sales will wrack up a few more victims.
  • dominalien 3 Dec 2019 10:08:25 9,355 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I seem to have run out of steam. I don't see myself buying anything thankfully, but I'm also hardly playing. I was hoping to finish off at least two more games before the year is out, but that's looking less and less likely.
  • rice_sandwich 3 Dec 2019 10:24:54 5,935 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Best to get started on your festive eating and drinking. Lots of achievement s to be had there. Gotta get your max xmas gamer score.
  • Red_Bool 3 Dec 2019 11:48:23 1,875 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well I've already spent all my fun-money for this year, so I'm safe from the sales.

Looking at my list, I will probably finish Luigi's Mansion 3 this year (currently on the 11th floor).
    I completed Celeste so that can come off the list (I still intend to find all the strawberries and stuff, but spare time is becoming more rare).
    Which brings me to DOS2... I really want to play this, but time...
  • PazJohnMitch 3 Dec 2019 13:55:13 14,808 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I have just gotten back into DOS2, currently level 14 (and a half). Really struggled through level 13 (as I initially missed a big section of level 13 content) but making decent progress through 14. (Thanks in part to finding the level 13 stuff I missed).
  • crashVoodoo 3 Dec 2019 14:50:21 6,494 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I've decided I quite like watchdogs 2. I think it directly playing it after running through GTA5 was a mistake as the world seemed pisspoor in comparison and the toys didn't compensate.

However, playing it after Jeremy Corbyn 4 and it's a fucking delight.
  • Graxlar_v3 3 Dec 2019 14:51:41 8,551 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    crashVoodoo wrote:

However, playing it after Jeremy Corbyn 4 and it's a fucking delight.
    😂😂😂
  • docrob 3 Dec 2019 19:43:03 1,247 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Iíve decided that Phoenix Point being released does not disqualify me. I bought and paid for it before this challenge began, so itís really no different from any of the other games in my backlog - itís just that I wasnít technically able to install it until now.

I donít think it takes a slot until I install it.

(Trying to get to the end of Outer Wilds)
  • docrob 3 Dec 2019 19:43:04 1,247 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Post deleted
  • crashVoodoo 4 Dec 2019 01:18:54 6,494 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Watchdogs 2 story completed. Check it off my list please.

Gonna go back cos there's quite a lot of dlc and side content in there. The online stuff is quite fun too, me and random were having some fun with a dedsec mission that involved stealing data from a guy.

I couldn't be arsed chasing him across a park while he shot at us so tased him .... then all hell broke loose as backup arrived. Took out the guys in vans with and then the cops with bombs. Then it turned up to 11 as the feds rocked up.

We both decided to get the fuck out of there in separate cars zig zagging across town. their car was taken out so I circled round, skidded into the firefight, they jumped in and we were off, me driving and them shooting and triggering traps until other players eventually joined in as hunters (wtf?) to take us out.

We died in a hail of bullets on the gate bridge.

More please!

Edited by crashVoodoo at 01:21:28 04-12-2019
  • Samildanach 4 Dec 2019 11:50:03 157 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Uh oh. Rather big UK PSN store Xmas sale on now. Will temptation bring any challenger's noble quest to a crashing end on the final stretch?
  • rice_sandwich 4 Dec 2019 11:52:22 5,935 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    YES!
  • Graxlar_v3 4 Dec 2019 12:29:16 8,551 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Samildanach wrote:
    Uh oh. Rather big UK PSN store Xmas sale on now. Will temptation bring any challenger's noble quest to a crashing end on the final stretch?
    Probably not... the items on sale are nothing new really.
  • Samildanach 4 Dec 2019 14:39:47 157 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3
    True, true. I was trying to add a bit of danger to the end of the challenge... the Final Boss of 'Play What You Get, Get What You Play (2019)' if you will. Heh heh.
  • rice_sandwich 4 Dec 2019 14:48:11 5,935 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    And just when you think the boss has finally been beaten and the day has been saved, it comes back in nightmare difficulty.
  • DangerousDave_87 4 Dec 2019 19:50:45 6,581 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Take Dragon Quest Builders 2 off my list! It is done! Although now, ironically, I'm really compelled to play on in the endless mode!
  • docrob 5 Dec 2019 18:12:23 1,247 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    🎯 Outer Wilds

FINALLY finished this today. Got the Ďgoodí ending, I think.

Please replace with 🦆 Phoenix Point, which I can now install without feeling guilty or failing the challenge!

EDIT: Iíve just counted up and PP is my 10th new game of the year (although I actually bought it earlier than that). So, providing I donít buy anything else before Xmas, I would have succeeded in last yearís challenge too)

Edited by docrob at 19:07:36 05-12-2019
  • rice_sandwich 5 Dec 2019 19:42:24 5,935 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Spreadsheet updated.
  • docrob 6 Dec 2019 00:38:18 1,247 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    Spreadsheet updated.
    Think I got missed. Maybe put the post up too late?
  • crashVoodoo 6 Dec 2019 00:58:08 6,494 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    docrob wrote:
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    Spreadsheet updated.
    Rice just updates the sheet, phattso updates the main thread with the sheet data
  • rice_sandwich 6 Dec 2019 05:28:59 5,935 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    crashVoodoo wrote:
    docrob wrote:
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    Spreadsheet updated.
    Rice just updates the sheet, phattso updates the main thread with the sheet data
    Yeah, that's right. It's a note for Phattso so that he knows that he doesn't have to check prior posts for updates. Only 14 more days and our work will be done!
  • monkman76 6 Dec 2019 07:54:57 15,474 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thanks to you both for the efforts. I think itís been less amusing than last yearís thread, but very useful personally as a behaviour monitor!
  • rice_sandwich 6 Dec 2019 08:11:33 5,935 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well, this year has been far less harsh and had far fewer opportunities for failure due to being able to knock games off your list. Even although I failed this year I've made huge improvements in my purchasing behaviour. I can still improve my playing habits somewhat.

Should there be a 2020 thread, I'm sure whomever takes over will shake things up and provide a new spin on things.
  • PazJohnMitch 6 Dec 2019 08:55:31 14,808 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I liked this format. It made me think about what games I bought but also let me chose games appropriate for me. (i.e. lots of short games which I have the attention span to finish).

Last years format encouraged the purchase of longer games due to the fixed limit which was counter intuitive for me as these are also the games I am most likely to not finish and abandon.

Thanks Phattso and Rice for organising this.

I have a few ideas about what we could try next year but have not organised me thoughts enough to turn the ideas into workable rules.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.