Play What You Get, Get What You Play (2019) Page 135

• docrob 6 Dec 2019 15:04:03 1,269 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yes - many thanks for organising. Thanks to this challenge, I have made a real effort this year not to impulse buy games because they're a bargain, and I have tried much harder to commit to those I have bought. I've finished several games that in another year I'd have dropped to play something else. I've also learned a thing or two about myself, such as that I really don't get on with management sims. I was expecting to love Two Point Hospital, but I just found it a bit dull and repetitive. I think my problem is that I loved SimCity 2000 many years ago, and I've been trying (and failing) to recapture that ever since.
  • crashVoodoo 6 Dec 2019 15:07:26 6,542 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @docrob I know what you mean. I used to play loads of them too. I made a concerted effort to play cities skylines recently but it's too fuckn fiddly and I turn it off in annoyance

Edited by crashVoodoo at 15:07:44 06-12-2019
  • Phattso 7 Dec 2019 20:35:23 24,935 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Front page updated.
  • OllyJ 8 Dec 2019 21:35:31 4,640 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order done.

Adding God of War
  • DangerousDave_87 8 Dec 2019 23:12:14 6,643 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've started Super Chariot with the other half. I'm not sure what I think. Different, but not massively varied. It's also mildly frustrating in co-op, but that might just be me, rather than the game.
  • Samildanach 9 Dec 2019 00:33:14 189 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    R-type Final can come of thanks. All ships unlocked and all levels beaten bar the ridiculous Final - C which I recollect I did somehow beat in 2004 when I had the patience. Not a great shmup as it swings from boredom to frustration too often. I hope the sequel next year can get the adrenaline going and isn't so damn slow. It could do with a lot better music than this one also.
  • rice_sandwich 9 Dec 2019 07:01:52 6,052 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The final countdown begins. 11 days of the challenge left! All you have to do is avoid buying any games until midnight on Friday 20th December and you're a winner!. Unless you already failed, in which case you'll have to satisfy yourself with an 'E for effort' award.

The last thing you have to suffer is the festive joke of the day:

What says Oh Oh Oh?

Santa walking backwards!

Edited by rice_sandwich at 07:02:38 09-12-2019
  • Graxlar_v3 9 Dec 2019 08:19:47 8,763 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    The final countdown begins. 11 days of the challenge left! All you have to do is avoid buying any games until midnight on Friday 20th December and you're a winner!. Unless you already failed, in which case you'll have to satisfy yourself with an 'E for effort' award.

The last thing you have to suffer is the festive joke of the day:

What says Oh Oh Oh?

Santa walking backwards!
    Que? Pretty sure the year ended on 31 December
  • dominalien 9 Dec 2019 08:36:41 9,388 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Itís a Christmas miracle.
  • rice_sandwich 9 Dec 2019 08:38:28 6,052 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3

It does but good luck getting the spreadsheet updated after 20th December. That's when I'm off for the holidays.
  • Samildanach 9 Dec 2019 09:15:09 189 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    For my three remaining slots, Dragon Age Inquisition and Alien Isolation have only been sampled (about 2hrs play) so they have no chance of being finished. Final Fantasy X is just beyond the half way point, so things look pretty tight to finish in time. I calculate about 20hrs play in 11 days, the wife may have something to say about that!
  • Chug666 9 Dec 2019 22:35:21 654 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Katana zero is done, could you tick it off my list please?

What a cracking game, thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish.
  • monkman76 9 Dec 2019 22:47:26 15,587 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I suppose Iíd better declare Gears 5, now that Iím six hours in. Thatís a bit more than just Game Pass surfing.
  • CowsMakeNoise 10 Dec 2019 06:37:36 96 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Far Cry 5 can come off my list, storyís done and the dlc holds no interest. Still fun in the Far Cry way but the antagonists were dull and didnít stand out. Maybe next time donít call two of them John and Jacob, eh Ubisoft?

Cheers to Phattso and Rice for making me think about what Iím buying. Managed to hold off on a number of things because I either have the prequel to play or have something equally similar in my backlog. Definitely taking this forward as a personal challenge into 2020.
  • CowsMakeNoise 10 Dec 2019 06:37:37 96 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Far Cry 5 can come off my list, storyís done and the dlc holds no interest. Still fun in the Far Cry way but the antagonists were dull and didnít stand out. Maybe next time donít call two of them John and Jacob, eh Ubisoft?

Cheers to Phattso and Rice for making me think about what Iím buying. Managed to hold off on a number of things because I either have the prequel to play or have something equally similar in my backlog. Definitely taking this forward as a personal challenge into 2020.
  • rice_sandwich 10 Dec 2019 08:09:36 6,052 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    10 days remaining! Now is the time for those interested in running the show in 2020 to step forward. Recommended for those who have always fancied having power and abusing it. It goes without saying that anyone named Boris is banned.
  • PazJohnMitch 10 Dec 2019 09:50:22 14,959 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    🦆Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
  • rice_sandwich 11 Dec 2019 07:39:02 6,052 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    NINE days remaining until pigwhip Armageddon! Get those last minute completions in so that you can stuff your sack full of fresh new games in the xmas sales!

If you want there to be a pigwhip 2020, step forward and submit your application for spreadsheet /first post updating duties

ROLE: Pigwhip Overlord MasterChief Admiral (multiple positions available)

SALARY: If joy was a currency, let's say this is not a well paid job.

HOURS: On call 24/7. You should be ready to deal with spreadsheet updating emergencies and sudden game completions and new purchases.

We can promise a very moderately exciting role, lacking entirely in pay and benefits, no holidays, on call 24/7, but plenty of warm fuzzies as you chalk up the many failures and laugh inwardly at the lack of self-control and hubris of the unwashed masses who seem unable to follow the simplest of instructions.

A vaguely condescending manner while dealing with patrons is helpful but not essential. A mildly passive aggressive yet encouraging personality would be of benefit. Applications are particularly sought from those who can praise and somehow insult at the same time.

If you can deal with complaints in a rude and abrupt manner, with some creative cursing thrown in, while at the same time confusing patrons with politeness, so much the better. You should be comfortable with the operation of a confusing, laissez-faire yet corrupt kleptocracy.

Roles are suitable for both good cops, amongst whose number I count myself, or bad cops, just like you know who. No need to say his name out loud but I think we all know who we're talking about.

Thank you for your interest in this position.

Edited by rice_sandwich at 07:40:04 11-12-2019
  • Samildanach 11 Dec 2019 11:50:37 189 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Cheers for the hard work this last year Rice and Phattso! Very well run challenge.
    I will certainly be happy to help update next years' spreadsheet, though we could do with more longstanding forum members than me who would be better to politely insult everybody.
    One question that needs asking if we get no response is whether there is an appetite for challenge 2020? Is there still an active interest in it, or is more something being done now just because it is there? I have certainly found it useful in holding me back from unecessary spends and will want to continue in that vein next year, though admittedly I should have the self control now to do it with or without the challenge. What say the rest?

Edited by Samildanach at 11:51:04 11-12-2019
  • DangerousDave_87 11 Dec 2019 12:16:52 6,643 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm certainly up for helping next year.
  • JoelStinty 11 Dec 2019 12:22:47 8,406 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think I have atoned for my sins. Am I allowed back in next year?
  • rice_sandwich 11 Dec 2019 12:40:56 6,052 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @DangerousDave_87

Ok, Dave, you are officially in charge for 2020. Feel free to set up new rules, recruit lackeys and wield the power in whatever way you see fit.
  • CowsMakeNoise 11 Dec 2019 13:06:21 96 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I am up for helping as well. I spend all day being nice to people so would be more than happy to call everyone on the forum the worst things I can think of.
  • rice_sandwich 11 Dec 2019 13:19:54 6,052 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You guys need to think up a cool name for yourselves.
  • Red_Bool 11 Dec 2019 13:33:56 1,883 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    You guys need to think up a cool name for yourselves.
    phat_sandwich?

Anyway, a big thanks to you and Phattso for managing this year's challenge! Usually I just limit myself budget-wise (I still do), but the added challenge of finish-before-you-start really made me think "if I buy this, will I play it? When will I play it? What about the stuff I already have? Do I really need it?"
    Also, I can't remember completing as many games as I did this year :)
  • DangerousDave_87 11 Dec 2019 14:22:09 6,643 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @rice_sandwich Slots have been reduced to 2 and everybody is automatically enrolled. Failure to complete the challenge will result in all your gaming belongings being confiscated for the remainder of the year.

Your house is at risk if you do not respond to this post or keep us updated with your progress.

Edited by DangerousDave_87 at 16:50:43 11-12-2019
  • rice_sandwich 11 Dec 2019 14:32:23 6,052 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @DangerousDave_87

I'm not sure I own any toy houses.
  • DangerousDave_87 11 Dec 2019 14:36:16 6,643 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Damn auto correct. Always defaults to words you never ever use.
  • DangerousDave_87 11 Dec 2019 16:51:25 6,643 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My god, that post was a disaster. I've tried fixing it, but I give up.
  • rice_sandwich 11 Dec 2019 16:53:27 6,052 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Classik Dungurous_Dove

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.