Play What You Get, Get What You Play (2019) Page 136

• crashVoodoo 12 Dec 2019 00:35:28 6,680 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    1 mission left on rise of the tomb raider. Soon to be another off the backlog
  • DangerousDave_87 12 Dec 2019 08:34:15 6,811 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Think I've clocked an extra 10 hours on Drain Quest Builders since finishing it. Oh, the irony. No point starting anything else this year.
  • PazJohnMitch 12 Dec 2019 08:43:39 15,986 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Monster Boy was great up until 50% of the map was revealed. A solid 8/10. Highly recommended.

Now it is an infuriating example of why check points are important and their placement should be thought about. At present it will be lucky to get 6/10 from me.
  • rice_sandwich 12 Dec 2019 08:45:46 6,452 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DangerousDave_87 wrote:
    Think I've clocked an extra 10 hours on Drain Quest Builders since finishing it. Oh, the irony. No point starting anything else this year.
    Unblocking those drains sounds like a real challenge.
  • DangerousDave_87 12 Dec 2019 09:15:16 6,811 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I give up.
  • rice_sandwich 12 Dec 2019 09:32:33 6,452 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @DangerousDave_87

Are you a morning drinker, by any chance?
  • Red_Bool 12 Dec 2019 12:02:48 1,986 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    DangerousDave_87 wrote:
    Unblocking those drains sounds like a real challenge.
    Does it have Mario or Luigi in it?
  • DangerousDave_87 12 Dec 2019 14:14:51 6,811 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @rice_sandwich You know, that might actually help with my problem!
  • DangerousDave_87 12 Dec 2019 14:16:18 6,811 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    In other news: There are new NES and SNES games available! Star Fox 2 being the most interesting of the bunch. I didn't pick up the Mini consoles, so it's still new to me!

Also, go vote.
  • CowsMakeNoise 12 Dec 2019 18:27:06 100 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just bought Batman Enemy Within for some reason, my list is once again full.
  • rice_sandwich 12 Dec 2019 19:29:16 6,452 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Spreadsheet updated.
  • rice_sandwich 12 Dec 2019 19:31:48 6,452 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch

Sorry, not clear if you've finished Monster Boy or are still playing it?
  • DangerousDave_87 12 Dec 2019 22:13:03 6,811 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Super Chariot is hot garbage. It's so boring. That's my final slot of the year wasted.
  • rice_sandwich 12 Dec 2019 22:36:01 6,452 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @DangerousDave_87

And 89p!

You could have bought a KitKat or something like that. Regrets.
  • DangerousDave_87 12 Dec 2019 23:00:53 6,811 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well a Mars Bar would have been nice. Oh well. Back to Dragon Quest Builders, I suppose!
  • PazJohnMitch 13 Dec 2019 04:41:40 15,986 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @rice_sandwich

Still playing. Think I still have a reasonable amount left.
  • monkman76 13 Dec 2019 11:20:48 16,156 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    🎯 Gears 5

Pure videogame junk food (are there any more non-interactive environments in AAA games than in Gears of War, even after all this time?!), but great fun nonetheless.
  • Cappy 13 Dec 2019 23:05:38 14,218 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It's the final push.

I want to get ten more completions under my belt before the 31st. Go big or go home.
  • Phattso 14 Dec 2019 11:42:00 25,472 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    First page updated.
  • PazJohnMitch 14 Dec 2019 14:57:39 15,986 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So my idea for next year is relatively similar to this one as I thought Phattso’s idea for this year was good.

I know Phattso wanted us to think about the purchases we made which is a noble cause. However this may have lead to a few of us playing it safe with our purchases. So instead of trying something hard like Celeste or Sekiro we played games that we knew we could finish.

So essentially I have been trying to think of a way to allow some scope for experimentation without screwing ourselves over but also without making it too easy.

The basics of my proposed set up are the same as previously but you only start with 3 slots and December 2019 purchases fill those slots initially. (Surprise presents are optionally included, so not to hold people to having to finish something received as a misguided gift).

Now the difficult bit: criteria for expunging incomplete games. Phats and Rice did this on a case by case basis but I wanted to try and formalise it (which is hard).

I suggest that to remove an incomplete game you need to have achieved 2 of the following (since your previous removal):
    1. Played the game in question for over 20 hours
    2. Seen the credits of 10 or more games.
    3. Clocked over 500 hours gaming
    4. Earned 2 platinum trophies or two 100% in game completions.
    (Will also except any single item doubled. For example 40 hours of the game in question).

A removed game cannot be later counted as a completion.

Also a single additional slot can be unlocked from September onwards based on the same criteria for items 2-4. (This is instead of deleting a game and not in addition to).
  • rice_sandwich 14 Dec 2019 15:11:53 6,452 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch

All fine suggestions. However, I should mention that I previously annoyed Phattso with a variety of similar suggestions, which he was very polite about taking on board. The main issue you will have is keeping track of the recording. It's not very easy to do it. In the end it was decided to keep things as simple as possible. On the other hand, if you can make it work, go for it.
  • PazJohnMitch 14 Dec 2019 15:34:14 15,986 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah I understand all that. (I had even more complicated ideas).

I was planning a very hands off approach. Essentially take the view that everyone is an adult and can track their own completions and statistics.

So set up rules in the OP but allow the second post to be updatable by anyone in the thread by setting up a new profile and posting its password in the OP.

Trust on the EG Forum is a recipe for disaster though. And I give it about a week before the experiment fails. That does not really concern me though as the idea is not mine and you and Phattso already proved the concept of these threads.

Edited by PazJohnMitch at 15:37:27 14-12-2019
  • DakeyrasUK 15 Dec 2019 16:35:33 4,267 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Completed Cadence of Hyrule today.

Lovely game that, some seriously tricky little puzzles. One heart piece I found very early on but never managed to figure it out how to get to it...

Also never managed to find the final empty bottle! Got everything else though!

Edited by DakeyrasUK at 16:36:00 15-12-2019
  • DangerousDave_87 15 Dec 2019 18:11:07 6,811 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Do these free SNES games count towards the 5? I started Super Metroid again last night (for the 100th time) and it's still the greatest game of all time. I'm happy to fail the challenge on that, after the disappointments of my choices these past few months.
  • kosigan 15 Dec 2019 18:33:23 703 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think NFS Heat got missed off my list. Or maybe it's just a comment on my poor choice of games? :)
  • rice_sandwich 15 Dec 2019 18:51:31 6,452 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @DangerousDave_87

I don't think you have to count it given you previously counted the Nintendo Online stuff. How about progress on Ring Fit Adventure?
  • PazJohnMitch 15 Dec 2019 19:27:49 15,986 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    🎯Monster Boy

Forgave it for the huge difficulty increase at the midpoint and ended up getting 100% completion after just shy of 30 hours play. (And yes I used a guide for the well).

Very good adventure game / Metroidvania. Recommended.
  • Phattso 15 Dec 2019 19:36:06 25,472 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    kosigan wrote:
    I think NFS Heat got missed off my list. Or maybe it's just a comment on my poor choice of games? :)
    Not missed - accidentally added to the victim above you in the Spreadsheet (I thought it was out of character or Jono :-D ).
  • DangerousDave_87 15 Dec 2019 19:41:43 6,811 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @rice_sandwich I've not played Ring Fit recently, but I'm still very much into it. Just had a particularly physical week, so taken a step back.

I don't think it'll come off the list for a long time. It's quite a lengthy game and you're encouraged to keep to 15 minute stints each time. Could still be playing my first run until March, I reckon.

Edited by DangerousDave_87 at 19:43:23 15-12-2019
  • Phattso 15 Dec 2019 19:49:36 25,472 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    So my idea for next year is relatively similar to this one as I thought Phattso’s idea for this year was good.
    This should be good.

\deckchair
    \pitchfork

Joking aside, thanks to you (and others) for taking the time to put down some options.

I know Phattso wanted us to think about the purchases we made which is a noble cause. However this may have lead to a few of us playing it safe with our purchases. So instead of trying something hard like Celeste or Sekiro we played games that we knew we could finish.
    Really this whole thing has been about trying to make me fall properly back in love with gaming again, which has come in fits and starts but never to the extent I was hoping.

The sensible choices made and acres of cash saved were bonuses - and indeed the focus for many doing the challenges - but very much tertiary in my mind.

I'd also say that a fair number of people have happily immersed themselves in some tough-ass games this year, if the number of Sekiro completions are anything to go by. Some Celeste clears as well, come to think of it.

Basically I'm saying you're a wuss. ;-)

So essentially I have been trying to think of a way to allow some scope for experimentation without screwing ourselves over but also without making it too easy.

The basics of my proposed set up are the same as previously but you only start with 3 slots and December 2019 purchases fill those slots initially. (Surprise presents are optionally included, so not to hold people to having to finish something received as a misguided gift).

Now the difficult bit: criteria for expunging incomplete games. Phats and Rice did this on a case by case basis but I wanted to try and formalise it (which is hard).

I suggest that to remove an incomplete game you need to have achieved 2 of the following (since your previous removal):
    1. Played the game in question for over 20 hours
    2. Seen the credits of 10 or more games.
    3. Clocked over 500 hours gaming
    4. Earned 2 platinum trophies or two 100% in game completions.
    (Will also except any single item doubled. For example 40 hours of the game in question).

A removed game cannot be later counted as a completion.

Also a single additional slot can be unlocked from September onwards based on the same criteria for items 2-4. (This is instead of deleting a game and not in addition to).
    There's a lot in there to unpick.

Firstly the arbitrary figure of 20hrs doesn't make sense for a lot of titles out there. This year I had to play some utter wank arcade games for > 5hrs to clear them from my list, and it was a joyless pisspile of a slog I'd not soon repeat. :)

Secondly I'd say that gaming for 500 hours is something that would genuinely take me ages to do. Certainly not something I can do in time for it clearing a slot to be any use for me. Same for most people in the challenge I suspect?

Thirdly I'd say that Platinum/100%ing games are two very dark influences on people playing games long past the point of fun, burning out, and having a generally piss-poor time. Not all, not every, but most I'd say. Not sure that has a place here.

Finally (and I know these haven't been in the proper order) a lot of peeps didn't even make it to ten games, so having that as a clearing criteria wouldn't fly. That said - I guess if they're playing that little they probably don't need a slot cleared. :)

I do like the idea of 'winning' back slots though - Rice's suggestions from last year were replete with great ideas along those lines and I feel a little stupid that I didn't codify some of them. Sorry, Rice. You wuz right.

Perhaps a compromise on that - with less demanding requirements - might address another comment people had about this year: it wasn't as fun, and the thread wasn't as funny. I think they're great points, and I agree it has been a little more clinical than Rice or I had anticipated.

How about this: if you wanna clear out a turd of a game that's lodged in a slot, you have to throw yourself on the mercy of the baying crowd, who will give you a (reasonable) target to meet relating to any other games you have on the go, the backlog, or whatever springs to mind.

Maybe there's something to that? Chew it over, thread. Speak your minds. :)

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.