Play What You Get, Get What You Play (2019) Page 137

• rice_sandwich 15 Dec 2019 19:53:39 6,452 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Phattso

You should have listened to me the first time!
  • Phattso 15 Dec 2019 19:53:52 25,472 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    So set up rules in the OP but allow the second post to be updatable by anyone in the thread by setting up a new profile and posting its password in the OP.

Trust on the EG Forum is a recipe for disaster though. And I give it about a week before the experiment fails.
    Yeah - I could *almost* buy the notion that participants in the thread could be grown up about it. Maybe. A bit.

But this place has got some utter punks in it, and it wouldn't take much for someone to take a repeated shit in the thread. Shared account is absolutely the way to go - and plans are, indeed, afoot - but only among The Chosen Few methinks. :)
  • Phattso 15 Dec 2019 19:54:57 25,472 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Just repeating this so it's not lost at the arse-end of the previous page. :)

PazJohnMitch wrote:
    So my idea for next year is relatively similar to this one as I thought Phattso’s idea for this year was good.
    This should be good.

\deckchair
    \pitchfork

Joking aside, thanks to you (and others) for taking the time to put down some options.

I know Phattso wanted us to think about the purchases we made which is a noble cause. However this may have lead to a few of us playing it safe with our purchases. So instead of trying something hard like Celeste or Sekiro we played games that we knew we could finish.
    Really this whole thing has been about trying to make me fall properly back in love with gaming again, which has come in fits and starts but never to the extent I was hoping.

The sensible choices made and acres of cash saved were bonuses - and indeed the focus for many doing the challenges - but very much tertiary in my mind.

I'd also say that a fair number of people have happily immersed themselves in some tough-ass games this year, if the number of Sekiro completions are anything to go by. Some Celeste clears as well, come to think of it.

Basically I'm saying you're a wuss. ;-)

So essentially I have been trying to think of a way to allow some scope for experimentation without screwing ourselves over but also without making it too easy.

The basics of my proposed set up are the same as previously but you only start with 3 slots and December 2019 purchases fill those slots initially. (Surprise presents are optionally included, so not to hold people to having to finish something received as a misguided gift).

Now the difficult bit: criteria for expunging incomplete games. Phats and Rice did this on a case by case basis but I wanted to try and formalise it (which is hard).

I suggest that to remove an incomplete game you need to have achieved 2 of the following (since your previous removal):
    1. Played the game in question for over 20 hours
    2. Seen the credits of 10 or more games.
    3. Clocked over 500 hours gaming
    4. Earned 2 platinum trophies or two 100% in game completions.
    (Will also except any single item doubled. For example 40 hours of the game in question).

A removed game cannot be later counted as a completion.

Also a single additional slot can be unlocked from September onwards based on the same criteria for items 2-4. (This is instead of deleting a game and not in addition to).
    There's a lot in there to unpick.

Firstly the arbitrary figure of 20hrs doesn't make sense for a lot of titles out there. This year I had to play some utter wank arcade games for > 5hrs to clear them from my list, and it was a joyless pisspile of a slog I'd not soon repeat. :)

Secondly I'd say that gaming for 500 hours is something that would genuinely take me ages to do. Certainly not something I can do in time for it clearing a slot to be any use for me. Same for most people in the challenge I suspect?

Thirdly I'd say that Platinum/100%ing games are two very dark influences on people playing games long past the point of fun, burning out, and having a generally piss-poor time. Not all, not every, but most I'd say. Not sure that has a place here.

Finally (and I know these haven't been in the proper order) a lot of peeps didn't even make it to ten games, so having that as a clearing criteria wouldn't fly. That said - I guess if they're playing that little they probably don't need a slot cleared. :)

I do like the idea of 'winning' back slots though - Rice's suggestions from last year were replete with great ideas along those lines and I feel a little stupid that I didn't codify some of them. Sorry, Rice. You wuz right.

Perhaps a compromise on that - with less demanding requirements - might address another comment people had about this year: it wasn't as fun, and the thread wasn't as funny. I think they're great points, and I agree it has been a little more clinical than Rice or I had anticipated.

How about this: if you wanna clear out a turd of a game that's lodged in a slot, you have to throw yourself on the mercy of the baying crowd, who will give you a (reasonable) target to meet relating to any other games you have on the go, the backlog, or whatever springs to mind.

Maybe there's something to that? Chew it over, thread. Speak your minds. :)
  • PazJohnMitch 15 Dec 2019 20:45:08 15,986 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Good feedback. I am definitely up for refinement in the rules.

A similar approach to last year but with a fun way to get back a slot is essentially what I think we should go for.

And I can see your point about my criteria being too harsh (I didn’t want it to be too easy). My thinking was to give a variety of options as people play games quite differently.

I like your idea that if someone wants to remove a game from the list they need to make an appeal in the thread and a challenge is set based on the other games on their list. This should lead to some interesting banter. (I was aware whilst writing that my idea was far too dry and would probably lead to a boring thread).
  • PazJohnMitch 16 Dec 2019 12:31:51 15,986 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    🦆SW: Jedi Fallen Order
  • monkman76 16 Dec 2019 13:00:53 16,156 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    🦆 Forza Horizon 4
    🦆 Outer Wilds

/shakes fist at game pass
  • Cappy 16 Dec 2019 13:23:42 14,218 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm on team clean slate. I don't want Shenmue following me into next year.

Clean slate!
  • Samildanach 16 Dec 2019 13:26:30 345 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Phattso
    Your definitely right about the less fun, more clinical nature of this challenge compared to the silly banter in 2018's 10 slot challenge.
    Why don't you just go with that one again, with the allowance that small indie games only take up half a slot? No way to remove bad decisions. Arguments about what constitutes a small game. What do you all think? I won't cry if I am told it is a shit idea.
  • PazJohnMitch 16 Dec 2019 14:35:04 15,986 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Missed the most obvious way to get a slot back: Complete a Backlog game.
  • rice_sandwich 16 Dec 2019 14:43:25 6,452 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yes, game the system by completing very short games 😁
  • rice_sandwich 17 Dec 2019 08:56:14 6,452 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Here is my proposal for 2020

- Clean slate start

- For 2019 winners, first purchase of Xmas sales / 2020 doesn't take up a slot. Treat yourself after working hard all year.

- Start with 3 active slots, failed slots can be regained via suitable achievements in other games. The slot is cleared if the game is completed. Not all completions are equal, so you'll have to appeal to the mob and meet their challenge. Three slots allows a long, medium and short game on the go at once. You fail the challenge if you get 3 active failures.

- 3 to 5 (?) fixed slots. Once they're filled, they're filled. It doesn't matter whether you complete or fail. This gives you some breathing space or a chance to try something different without being penalised, but also potentially penalises you for Ill thought out impulse purchases that you don't have time for.
  • rice_sandwich 17 Dec 2019 10:25:18 6,452 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Also, Phattso and I had previously discussed but dismissed gamifying as being too complicated. My year of spreadsheet updating makes me think the following is not too onerous and provides some competition and laughs.

- pigwhip score. Earn points for completions, increase your rank and climb up the league table. 3 points for a long game completion, 1 for a normal game, 0.5 for a short game, 1 bonus point for a 100% completion.. Subject to begging appeals to the mob. Lose points for failures.

- Gain some rewards upon reaching certain ranking point thresholds (e.g. unlock a failed slot, get a free purchase, clear a fixed slot etc.)
  • rice_sandwich 17 Dec 2019 10:35:54 6,452 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Aaaandddd...if it's not too much of a stretch:

- Bet your points against other users by issuing them challenges

- Earn extra points for the highest score in various games on a monthly basis. The winner gets all the points.

It's a little more tracking but I think it's doable. Just needs another tab in the spreadsheet.
  • PazJohnMitch 17 Dec 2019 13:44:38 15,986 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @rice_sandwich

I thought about the points system too but thought it might be a pain to track and also to define a game length.

My thoughts were:
    Short: Under 5 hours (0.5 points)
    Normal: 5-20 hours (1 point)
    Long: 20-60 hours (2 points)
    XL: Over 60 hours (3 points)

And by what metric do you score on? Time a person spent playing or the average on Time to Beat? (The later would be a pain to look up each time but could be used as a guide at points borders).
  • Rivuzu 17 Dec 2019 13:52:55 18,383 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    + Nier: Automata

Taking a break from fighting games, so going to finally get around to playing this.

Also STILL not started Yakuza 6. It might be there until 2021.
  • rice_sandwich 17 Dec 2019 13:57:57 6,452 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch

You will be unsurprised to hear that Phattso and I already had this conversation.

Metrics are, happily, arguable, which is half the fun. Points tracking is no big deal, just a new column and game completions marked something like The Witcher [3], Baba Is You [1], Space Invaders [0.5]. Easy to keep track of a running total.

Should you wish to argue / demonstrate with facts or lies that a particular game completion is worth more or less, that's fine. See who you can convince. It will depend on what you have done. 100 hours spent on a short game is 3 points rather than 0.5, for example.

As points mean prizes I would hope there is some incentive to focus on games you like, while still allowing room for a few gambles.

Edited by rice_sandwich at 13:59:11 17-12-2019
  • monkman76 17 Dec 2019 15:44:52 16,156 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Baba Is You 1?! Show me one person in this thread who has finished that game. Properly I mean, all puzzles solved.
  • rice_sandwich 17 Dec 2019 15:55:28 6,452 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    Baba Is You 1?! Show me one person in this thread who has finished that game. Properly I mean, all puzzles solved.
    Exactly 😁
  • monkman76 17 Dec 2019 16:14:26 16,156 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So it should be 10 points!
  • rice_sandwich 17 Dec 2019 16:23:12 6,452 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @monkman76

But end credits are easy in Baba! Anyway, it proves the point.
  • monkman76 17 Dec 2019 17:06:48 16,156 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not that it matters, but I'm not seeing how.
  • rice_sandwich 17 Dec 2019 17:09:14 6,452 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @monkman76

Just that completion value is highly debatable and subject to many factors. Should be amusing.

Get your votes in for the rules that you want to see in 2020.
  • ZuluHero 17 Dec 2019 22:58:48 8,925 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Whoops, forgot to post to say I also finished Botw, and Horizon Zero Yawn.
  • ZuluHero 17 Dec 2019 23:03:54 8,925 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Also, and this might have broken the rules, but after I completed those 2, I bought and completed Zelda Links Awakening and Death Stranding.
  • OllyJ 18 Dec 2019 06:09:55 4,758 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I have finished God of War.

(I also finished Fallen order but I think my last update may have been skipped as the front page is a way behind)
  • monkman76 18 Dec 2019 09:23:21 16,156 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    Horizon Zero Yawn.
    This is a compliment to the game presumably?
  • Samildanach 18 Dec 2019 11:49:01 345 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My three are proving hard work.
    Alien Isolation is far too terrifying to play much more than half an hour.
    Final Fantasy X has just hit the Calm Lands which is horribly bland area followed swiftly by several massive difficulty spikes. My enthusiasm is dropping fast.
    Dragon Age Inquisition looks great, and I will likely eventually enjoy it, but I am at the stage at the start of a massive, complicated game where you look at a humongous map with many, many quest markers, miriad crafting options, varied skills across multiple characters, long discussions with npcs, and extensive lore and think 'Fuck it' and put on an episode of Red Dwarf instead.
  • Samildanach 18 Dec 2019 11:52:44 345 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Alien Isolation is also annoying my wife as she will suddenly ask me something like 'oh, do you think (child No. 2) will be too tired to go to (birthday party No. 57) on Saturday?' and I will just scream in terror at her.
  • Technoishmatt 18 Dec 2019 11:54:47 4,267 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I played a lot of Apex Legends so that can come off my list.

Other than that I have only played old games, so I think I am on track to win. Should I have reported Betas?

Really temped by Fallen Order though. And even a bit of the new Call of Duty. But i hardly played the last one so it is probably a bad idea.
  • PazJohnMitch 18 Dec 2019 12:12:28 15,986 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fallen Order is pretty good, pretty much my ideal game.

I can see why it received uninspiring reviews. All it does is steal from other games but it has cherry picked the good bits and they work well together.

Only criticisms I have seen that I share are that the sliding bits are shit and the planets could have done with some fast travel options. The maps do a decent job of linking back with themselves but I can see how it could become laborious to mop up all the collectibles (which 95% of are cosmetic).

One criticism that really confuses me is that people have complained about the map. I personally think the map is excellent. Only issue I have had with it is that it doesn’t load properly if you open it facing a wall which is easily avoided. (And also explained in game as BD-1 projects the map similar to R2’s Leah message to Obi wan).

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.