Play What You Get, Get What You Play (2019) Page 138

• Technoishmatt 18 Dec 2019 12:19:48 4,267 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I just want to give respawn my money and encourage more SW SP.
  • Cappy 18 Dec 2019 13:56:45 14,218 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    But you're giving money to a publisher that destroyed two prior in development single player Star Wars games. Who can forget the time EA really needed to 'pivot' and kill another studio because they really needed a games as service approach, only to 'pivot' again because loot boxes and in-game purchases had rapidly worn out their welcome and were damaging EA's reputation, hence giving a single player Star Wars project to Respawn.

Star Wars is guff now anyway.
  • crashVoodoo 18 Dec 2019 14:07:38 6,680 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Rise of the Tomb Raider completed. This was a backlog game that I out on in the hopes of completing and I have.

What a crap story. Crap stealth. Gorgeous game but it just all seems like a disjointed mess in motion
  • DangerousDave_87 18 Dec 2019 14:31:16 6,811 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah. It was pretty disappointing. Loved the mini tombs and played the entire game without music for the atmosphere, but hated the action sequences and didn't much care for the basic hunting/crafting guff.
  • crashVoodoo 18 Dec 2019 14:43:54 6,680 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Won't be buying the next I don't think.

I also picked up prison architect in the humble paradox bundle for 78p. What's the clear criteria for this?

I've already done the 4/5 campaign/tutorial missions and the last has me designing my own prison from scratch ... a no nonsense, hard justice, reform or die fuckers type Mexican hellhole.

I'll give them a church so they can ask for forgiveness

Edited by crashVoodoo at 14:44:18 18-12-2019

Edited by crashVoodoo at 14:45:15 18-12-2019
  • CowsMakeNoise 18 Dec 2019 22:52:38 100 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just finished Catherine Full Body. Five minute cutscene of alien penises (peni?!) shouting at me. Iím very confused.

10 out of 10 on the game, but theyíve gone for it with the entire Rin plotline.
  • rice_sandwich 19 Dec 2019 08:32:33 6,452 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    A final spreadsheet update for 2019 will take place on Friday 20th December, after which Pigwhip 2019 will be complete!!!

User DangerousDave and the others who said they'd volunteer should now move into full scale planning and rules implementation for Pigwhip 2020.

BE WARNED....Unlike Star Wars, Phattso and I probably won't save you if you don't get your act together.
  • DangerousDave_87 19 Dec 2019 09:18:15 6,811 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You're saving Star Wars?
  • rice_sandwich 19 Dec 2019 09:25:37 6,452 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @DangerousDave_87

No, that has been beyond redemption for the past 20 years. It's probably an even worse series than the Friday 13th films.
  • ghearoid 19 Dec 2019 09:26:24 3,599 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    FINAL UPDATE

Every game purchased has been completed

All DLC purchased has been completed

All backlog games started have been completed with the ignoble exception of Kirby's effing Adventure on the Wii

No game gifts were received this year so we'll see if I've been a good boy and get anything gaming for Christmas
  • CowsMakeNoise 19 Dec 2019 09:57:28 100 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    @DangerousDave_87

No, that has been beyond redemption for the past 20 years. It's probably an even worse series than the Friday 13th films.
    To be fair, saying something is a worse series than the Friday the 13th films is unfair. Theyíre clearly the pinnacle of cinema. Scorsese directed part 3 yíknow.
  • PazJohnMitch 19 Dec 2019 10:23:35 15,986 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ghearoid wrote:
    FINAL UPDATE

Every game purchased has been completed

All DLC purchased has been completed

All backlog games started have been completed with the ignoble exception of Kirby's effing Adventure on the Wii

No game gifts were received this year so we'll see if I've been a good boy and get anything gaming for Christmas
    Impressive work!
  • rice_sandwich 19 Dec 2019 10:39:56 6,452 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Surely Kirby's Adventure on the Wii is not that hard? I recall playing a bit of it and it seemed ok, though harder than your average Kirby game.
  • PazJohnMitch 19 Dec 2019 10:43:31 15,986 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Might be because it is not that good as opposed to being hard.
  • ghearoid 19 Dec 2019 11:15:02 3,599 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    It's not a bad game, I'm just finding it more frustrating than fun, hence my reluctance to push through. For example, in Star Allies you're never left without access to an ability you need to progress, however in Adventure you are gleefully left up shit creek, unable to solve a puzzle or access an area because you didn't pick up an ability or swapped it out.

I might just grit my teeth and look things up so I know what to do just so I can finish it. I'm at the end of world four so not long to go I guess.
  • rice_sandwich 19 Dec 2019 11:30:53 6,452 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @ghearoid

Fair enough. I'd leave it and play something better. The Switch sale starts today, treat yourself to something new!
  • erniewhatbert 19 Dec 2019 21:41:11 3,071 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    🎯 Shadow of the Colossus.

Iíll be left with two ducks and a poo emoji. Iíll settle for that thanks.

Between work and impending fatherhood I think Iíll bow out of next yearís challenge, time is going to be at a big premium.
  • rice_sandwich 20 Dec 2019 05:52:24 6,452 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @erniewhatbert

Nice, onwards and upwards to a bigger challenge. It should only take you 25 years to complete it!
  • rice_sandwich 20 Dec 2019 07:14:22 6,452 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    TODAY IS PWEXIT....THE FINAL DAY OF THE PIGWHIP 2019 THREAD...at least in terms of spreadsheet updates, because I'm too lazy to update during the festive season. Phattso might do something if you beg or bribe him with games.

I will now drone on a bit in my penultimate post, imparting very little wisdom. I hope you all found pigwhip 2019 worthwhile, if a lot less hilarious than 2018's funny, brutal affair, due to the overly generous slot allowance and slightly box ticking nature of the challenge.

Some people who should know better did not take my well intentioned advice when formulating the rules but let's not talk about their shortcomings as a human being. I'm not bitter.

Both money and time were saved, temptations avoided, day 1 scoffed at, game publishers profits sunk and hopefully some better long term habits have stuck. It's all good stuff but it can still be better and funnier next year.

I suggest that 2020 be a hybrid approach, being harsh but fair(ISH), with much more user interactivity to provide the laughs. Do my new rules suggestions...points for ftw!.

I have learned a few things from updating the data. I think that the challenge should be shorter and take a summer break. You can all head off to Bognor Regis safe in the knowledge that what happens in Bognor stays in Bognor. Rules tweaks can then be made for the autumn / winter pigwhip season, if the forum even exists by then.

Phattso said that he just wanted to enjoy games more, but to be honest I think you're either enjoying them or you're not. Or you're spoiled by choice, paralysed by the billion gaming options available these days and the sneaking suspicion that there's a better way to spend your time but you don't really know what that might be. Or you have other hobbies and don't care about wasting your time on games....and so on.

There will new thread runners for 2020 and Phattso and I will be moving upstairs to cushy executive director roles and may condescend to provide mocking advice. Let's hope the 2020 thread won't turn out like the final series of Game of Thrones!

Thank you for taking part in the epic endeavour that has been Pigwhip 2019!

* No actual pigs where whipped as part of this challenge

Edited by rice_sandwich at 07:15:57 20-12-2019
  • rice_sandwich 20 Dec 2019 20:29:05 6,452 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    For those that remain undefeated, know that pigwhip has now been completed!

And for those who have failed, you'll just have to wait for Pigwhip 2020 to be unveiled!

THE END :D
  • erniewhatbert 20 Dec 2019 20:36:44 3,071 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Thanks for your help in keeping this going, Rice and Phattso!

Iíve mostly been a lurker but I can say that the last two yearsí challenges have helped a lot in focusing on playing games long enough to appreciate them more. As someone with the attention span of a gnat it has been useful to try to train myself to stick to one thing more than I used to.

Bonne chance for 2020 everyone.
  • Cappy 20 Dec 2019 21:08:32 14,218 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Final update then.

Completed:
    Sinking City (PS4) (all three endings)

Started and completed:
    Little Nightmares (PS4)

Completed from backlog:
    Sine Mora (PS4)
    School Girl/Zombie Hunter (PS4)
  • Samildanach 20 Dec 2019 22:00:17 345 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yes indeedy, many thanks to Rice and Phattso for the year round showrunning of the pig whip challenge 2019. To be honest, when you announced the higher workload of the five slot system I thought you would get fed up with it by Summer, but you stuck it to the end, despite even losing the challenge yourselves. Spiffing work!
    I guess I couldn't polish off my last three, but can be happy to have merely survived (and removed that bastard Ikaruga).
    Like I offered before; I am happy to assist with updates for pigwhip 2020, but I wouldn't have a clue how to set up the spreadsheet or be a suitably snarky showrunner to beat all ner-do-wells into line. I would likely too readily agree with whatever bullshit excuse is made to wriggle out of a failure, rather than raise a digital eyebrow in disdain.
  • Nazo 21 Dec 2019 00:41:54 1,366 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wait, when are the contests of the 3rd reserved post at the beginning going to be revealed, donít keep us in suspense!
  • Toaster05 21 Dec 2019 20:29:19 2,317 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Congrats to those that made it and to those that failed it better to have tried than to not have tried at all.

And in the spirit of your inspiring efforts I won't be signing up next year. Fuck that!

But seriously, top marks to everyone and kudos to the management, you've no doubt done someone, somewhere proud.
  • Saul_Iscariot 22 Dec 2019 21:04:20 3,739 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just finished Spider-Man on the PS4. I may have forgotten to add this to my list of games on the go. But I think I still had a slot. Not a Dan Slott, fnar fnar. Geek joke for the comic book readers.
  • Saul_Iscariot 22 Dec 2019 21:08:11 3,739 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have to say this, and last years, challenges have curbed my spending habits quite a lot. And I have finished more games this year than I usually do.

Thanks to Phattso and Rice for getting my compulsive need to own everything that I have no intention of playing in order.
  • Chug666 23 Dec 2019 13:31:26 704 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Final flurry of additions thanks to the Switch sale- Hard West and Flashback added. That's all my slots full, although I've made a decent dent in Flashback already, and I'm pleasantly surprised by how well it stands up to a replay (first completed in 1994 or thereabouts). Realistically I think the likelihood of me finishing the three backlog games is pretty low (not sure I really understand Valkyria Chronicles, lost interest in God of War and keep trying to get back to The Surge but too many other distractions...).

Thanks for the thread all, as Saul says it has been an effective tool to slow down silly spending and I look forward to the 2020 variant.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.