Play What You Get, Get What You Play (2019) Page 17

• PazJohnMitch 8 Jan 2019 17:27:33 14,455 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @OllyJ

I found the recent God of War to be quite manageable but I certainly share your BotW concern. It, Disgaea 5, Xenoblade Chronicles and Skyrim are games I periodically give a 30+ hour stint too and then return to the shelf.

The problem is 30 hours barely puts a dent into these games.

Edited by PazJohnMitch at 17:28:15 08-01-2019
  • SambaApe 8 Jan 2019 17:31:10 1,296 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So, I have gotten a little tired of DOOM and tried The Witcher 3 for a couple of hours. Can see that taking a fair amount of time. Will make 80 hours on RDR2 look small. 😬
  • OllyJ 8 Jan 2019 20:44:25 4,486 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch I know both BOTW and GOW are great games. They just really got boring for me, I’m hoping I just choose wisely.

I’m not playing RDR2, I know I’d get sick of it.
  • OllyJ 8 Jan 2019 20:48:19 4,486 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    But then again...I might think it’s amazing. The struggle is real.
  • PazJohnMitch 8 Jan 2019 20:51:53 14,455 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RDR2 is on my list. I expect it to still be there next year. (Fortunately Phattso generously gave us 5 slots).
  • THFourteen 8 Jan 2019 20:56:13 51,946 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @OllyJ

BotW got boring for me too. I really liked the puzzles but that was it. Combat was shite and no interest in random exploring.

But at about 50+ hours played, happy to call it done even if I never finished the last battle.
  • OllyJ 8 Jan 2019 21:02:40 4,486 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @THFourteen yeah I think this challenge is great. But I’m unsure on the official rule of having had enough of a game if you’ve gave it a ruddy good shot.
  • Trafford 9 Jan 2019 07:18:12 8,347 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    9 days into this challenge and I haven't touched the 3 games I put on my list.
    Instead I keep on playing Resogun (Survivor & Protector mode), like I have done for the last three years.
    I'm not giving myself much time for gaming at the moment but it's early days yet.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 9 Jan 2019 08:57:30 947 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    @OllyJ I think you need to interpret the "ruddy good shot" rule individually to an extent. Clearly if you play BOTW and say "I've been it a ruddy good shot" after 10 hours then you haven't as you've only seen a small percentage of the game. Each game will be different. Some will have a % complete you can use and others have a map you can explore or a main storyline you can complete. I think over 100 hours in any game can probably be classed as a "ruddy good shot" regardless of how far you've got in it.

My current games, have the following completion criteria which I've given them based on the size and type of game they are. We're adults here and this is for our own benefit, so we need to self police to a degree. Obviously if someone is clearly taking the piss then we can get a baying lynch mob organised promptly.

1. Pokemon Let's Go: Completion is going to be completing the main story or 100 hours (its a 50 hours max game supposedly). Maybe I will complete the pokedex, but that is an optional extra. I@m finding this a bit repetitive, so this might stick on my list.
    2. Oxenfree: Its a short game, so completion will be getting to the credits. Optional extra will be doing it more than once.
    3. Diablo (removed from list now): I've put in over 200 hours on this, but have not tried half the characters or challenge rifts or seasonals. However, I've done more than enough to say I've got my money's worth out and I'm now a sad addict :)
    4. Okami: This is a large game which I am struggling with. Completion will be completion of the main story. I could say "or 100 hours", but I know that is me being a wuss because I'm not enjoying it. I suspect this one will stay on my list a long time
    5. Harry Potter Lego: Completion of main story is the aim for this. I could say get all the bricks etc, but that is masochist territory.
    6. Battle for Atlas: Tricky as I've been lent this and not had time to install it yet. I think I'll probably just give it back, but if not, then I'll be looking for completion of the main story (40 hours ish). I might not install this as I'm not sure I'll ever complete it.

Anyway, each to their own. I look upon this as a fun way to get us thinking about and enjoying our purchases more rather than impulse buying, playing a few minutes and regretting it. I'll also be doing the previous challenge and restricting myself to 10 games bought. I'm also using this principle within the rest of my life so I'm not buying shit just because its on offer and I'll get round to it eventually.
  • Ceelion 9 Jan 2019 12:41:47 511 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Phattso Oh great overwatcher of this wonderful thread. Can I have two ducks please?

1. Everybody's Gold
    2. Steep

Quack quack.
  • Graxlar_v3 9 Jan 2019 12:51:40 6,725 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    GuybrushFreepwood wrote:

1. Pokemon Let's Go: Completion is going to be completing the main story or 100 hours (its a 50 hours max game supposedly). Maybe I will complete the pokedex, but that is an optional extra. I@m finding this a bit repetitive, so this might stick on my list.
    main story is 10-20 hours.
  • Trafford 9 Jan 2019 13:36:38 8,347 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • GuybrushFreepwood 9 Jan 2019 14:14:19 947 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    GuybrushFreepwood wrote:

Really? My wife is 25 hours in (with about 40 in the pokedex) and just over half way through. That said, she gets lost a lot, which I didn't think was possible in this game.
  • Humperfunk 9 Jan 2019 14:31:32 7,994 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Reminder for Phattso that I have one duck for Tales of Vesperia :)
  • Switch024 9 Jan 2019 14:36:11 3,378 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    GuybrushFreepwood wrote:
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    GuybrushFreepwood wrote:

Really? My wife is 25 hours in (with about 40 in the pokedex) and just over half way through. That said, she gets lost a lot, which I didn't think was possible in this game.
    I'm over 10 hours in now and only have 3 badges. I'm significantly overleveled though, I've caught loads to evolve my main Pokémon.
  • Rivuzu 9 Jan 2019 15:34:49 18,143 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bit pissed off. No London tournaments for DBFZ for a time, likely 2 months.

May have to rethink my strategy.
  • Graxlar_v3 9 Jan 2019 15:54:20 6,725 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Switch024 wrote:
    GuybrushFreepwood wrote:
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    GuybrushFreepwood wrote:

I'm over 10 hours in now and only have 3 badges. I'm significantly overleveled though, I've caught loads to evolve my main Pokémon.
    honestly, i have a bit of pokemon knowledge but i finished the main campaign in just over 10 hours.
  • Graxlar_v3 9 Jan 2019 15:54:55 6,725 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Humperfunk wrote:
    Reminder for Phattso that I have one duck for Tales of Vesperia :)
    this thread just made me say no to buying this game lol.
  • SnackPlissken 9 Jan 2019 15:59:07 972 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I feel like I've failed already. I played some God of War last night, and it's not on my list. I'm a bad person.
  • Graxlar_v3 9 Jan 2019 16:06:01 6,725 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @SnackPlissken put it on your list.
  • THFourteen 9 Jan 2019 16:40:39 51,946 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    GuybrushFreepwood wrote:
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    GuybrushFreepwood wrote:

35 for me to complete the elite 4.

I did grind for 2 hours of that.
  • THFourteen 9 Jan 2019 16:42:08 51,946 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    OllyJ wrote:
    @THFourteen yeah I think this challenge is great. But I’m unsure on the official rule of having had enough of a game if you’ve gave it a ruddy good shot.
    If I’m invested in the story then I always complete the game, so Witcher, Xenoblade all got finished even over 100 hours

But stuff like Zelda and Skyrim where the story is shite and it was more about the exploring, I usually give up on.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 9 Jan 2019 16:50:59 947 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    Switch024 wrote:
    GuybrushFreepwood wrote:
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    GuybrushFreepwood wrote:

honestly, i have a bit of pokemon knowledge but i finished the main campaign in just over 10 hours.
    I think I'm at 14 hours myself with my "main" at level 40 and 4 gym badges. I've about 45 pokemon in my pokedex. I don't feel like I'm in any way close to the end and I'm about to scrap my current team and bring back my starters.

/is not very good at games these days.
  • Graxlar_v3 9 Jan 2019 17:25:12 6,725 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    1 golden duck

tales of Vesp on switch.
  • StixxUK 9 Jan 2019 19:21:56 8,145 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    With Zelda, although it can be incredibly long, I'm sure it's not too tough to smash through it in 30 hours. After you get to a point you can just stop pissing around and go do the final battle.

Personally it actually grew on me over time. I got bored bit then went back after a break (freshened up with the DLC added in) and enjoyed it more than ever.
  • Phattso 9 Jan 2019 23:18:29 24,665 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Fuck me but that was a ballache. Progress updated. I'm tracking your completions but not reporting them just yet. Also not sure if I'll change the duck reporting - right now it literally reflects whether or not a row on the sheet is populated, but it could just total them up instead and close the gaps. Anyway. Boring shit. Progress updated finally. :)
  • rice_sandwich 10 Jan 2019 07:04:30 5,475 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've already filled up my list with 5 games but I feel freer knowing that they can come off again. Last year buying each game felt like it was a bigger decision given that once you had it that was that.

I'll try to complete one of my games this month so I have some breathing space. Though I suppose I shouldn't feel like that as I should have carefully selected each game on my list rather than jumping in feet first. Hmmm....
  • THFourteen 10 Jan 2019 07:19:40 51,946 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @rice_sandwich

Think it’s working better this year. If we’d had this last year I definitely would have bought and finished unavowed for example.

But I didn’t because it was too short to take up one of my 10

Edited by THFourteen at 07:19:53 10-01-2019
  • rice_sandwich 10 Jan 2019 07:32:02 5,475 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I feel like I'm at an all you can eat buffet. It's ok to stuff myself with more (games) as long as I have room on my plate for more.
  • Trafford 10 Jan 2019 07:35:45 8,347 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Phattso
    Nothing seems to have pulled through from my list, but I'll take the opportunity to alter my starting choices seeing as the post was pre 25/12/18 please.

1/ Odin's Sphere
    2/ Resogun. (reach rank 30 on challenges &feats, currently on 24 and opportunities for xp are drying up).

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.