(Speakers/Headset) How to open volume control case with no screws

• DrStrangelove 12 Jan 2019 15:33:45 15,216 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Googled a while for this, but sadly all solutions I could find involved removing screws, which the cases I have here don't have. Thought I might try my luck here, maybe someone knows something.

Problem: The volume controls of my Creative speakers and Logitech headset have become ever worse, to the point where the whole things are becoming almost unusable. I suspect corrosion on the potentiometers and would like to clean them, but I can't access them because the casing isn't screwed together but simply plastic pieces clipped (maybe even glued) together with no chance to do anything from the outside.

In the case of the speakers, I tried carefully sticking a screwdriver tip between them and levering them out, but even with some force applied it won't budge. It doesn't seem like anything's going to happen until I apply a lot of brute force, but I'm afraid that's going to make the thing shatter into a thousand pieces.

With the headset it's even worse, it's so close together that I can hardly get between the parts with a cutting knife. Slightly twisting the knife doesn't move anything by a fraction of a millimetre, just puts dents into the plastic.

Otherwise the speakers and headset work fine, and I really don't want to buy new ones only because of some corrosion on the pots. I will try brute force before actually buying new ones, but I thought maybe someone here has an idea?
  • mrharvest 12 Jan 2019 16:28:53 5,599 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yes, unfortunately this is the case with a lot of consumer electronics.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultrasonic_welding

There's a couple of different scenarios. There may be screws hidden under stickers. There can be clips, which can be pried open, or the pieces can be welded shut (in which case a dremel saw is your best bet).

I've fixed a few of these impossible to open devices and it's always a case of: saw the chassis open along the seam and then tape or epoxy it shut once you're done.
  • DrStrangelove 12 Jan 2019 17:47:02 15,216 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yes, I guess that's what I'm going to do. Try to force it open and tape it together afterwards. I don't have a dremel, so first I'll try to cut it open with the knife.

Thanks, appreciated.
  • Carlo 12 Jan 2019 18:03:11 21,324 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm with mharvest on this one.

There are boxes that when pressed together click shut and are designed to be unopenable. You usually need to get some thin but blunt objects to push into the seam, and push open the clips, but this means you need to know exactly where they all are.

It's a bit shit. very sharp scalpel can cut soft plastic, rather than dremel as the rotary cutter usually just melts the plastic making it a real mess.

I think you're just going to have to brute force it. Or look for it in the website that takes shit apart (like ifixit)for a walkthrough.

Edited by Carlo at 18:04:20 12-01-2019
  • mothercruncher 12 Jan 2019 18:53:40 17,836 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    You need a “spudger” to pry things open with as little damage as possible. Being impatient and not wanting to wait for one being posted from eBay, I’ve made one in the past by slicing off a long rectangle of ikea cutting board and then angling the end.
  • fontgeeksogood 12 Jan 2019 18:56:46 10,023 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Have you tried mustard around the headphone port
  • neilka 12 Jan 2019 18:58:19 23,413 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    NO SPUDGER STUFF

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.