Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Duffking wrote:
    @SteveBUK click both sticks at the same time
    Thank you, that sounds quite intuitive.

Thanks @Mcgeeza
  • Deleted user 23 January 2019 20:29:58
    Psiloc wrote:
    AC4 remains my favourite story-wise. In that game the story is narrated by a character you never actually see, he's just an anonymous guy telling the story of the war from the ground, behind enemy lines, who starts to hear about your feats and makes you feel like a badass. Definitely prefer the narration-over-2D-illustrations thing too, it has a touch of class that this was missing.

All that being said this is plainly the best AC game overall. It's just easy to nitpick!
    Ah, been waiting for a comment comparing the story to AC4. Totally with you on that being the best narrative of the series. The EG review of AC7 suggested AC4ís story took itself too seriously, but I liked that tone. AC5 felt like Namco aiming more for the Call of Duty audience, didnít feel true to the seriesí roots.

Shame, but Iím still massively hyped for this. Just canít decided whether to wait for the price to drop!
  • Drakesmoke 25 Jan 2019 01:06:42 556 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Up to Mission 19. Batshit crazy with a fantastic feeling of height and chaos in my new Su thirty whatever (there are so many lol).

Died very suddenly and will resume when I can savour it a bit more.

I really do think this is a bit of a triumphant return for the series, anyone with fond memories of the old ones still on the fence just grab it.

Despite an earlier post though, I have since found some instances of slow down on 1X. Generally the same spots on certain missions when enemy and particle effects ramp up.

AC6 should be up for download tomorrow for any preorder folks.

Really hope they consider porting 4 and 5 to the XBox in time.

Edited by Drakesmoke at 01:07:54 25-01-2019
  • AboutHalfaStevas 25 Jan 2019 01:10:26 1,709 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's my understanding it's quite unlikely we'll see these ports, as there are issues with the licences.
  • Your-Mother 25 Jan 2019 03:45:35 2,770 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Urgh. The VR on this one gives me insane motion sickness. I'm fine with absolutely every other VR thing but this has me feeling like I'm about to have an epileptic fit. Did notice there's a weird rotating effect when I turn my head left and right, wonder if that's part of it. Not calibration issues as all other games are find.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 25 Jan 2019 09:40:52 1,709 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, if any head movement results in anything other than 1:1 movement, that'll fuck you right up. Makes me think it is your setup though, as everyone would be complaining.

I've not actually tried it yet as I'm afraid I also just got resident evil.

I've spent far too much on game this month...
  • Singularity 25 Jan 2019 11:07:34 3,133 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've played the first four missions, and I'm not enjoying this very much. It's just flying around in circles and then firing missiles when someone swoops past you. And destroying things on the ground is no fun at all.

I remember really enjoying a flight combat game on the Megadrive of all things where you would black out if you were pulling too many Gs, this doesn't seem to pull me in as much as that did. On a Megadrive.

And your plane's wheels don't turn on the runway and you can fly through electricity wires. It's literally unplayable. ;)

I will give the VR stuff a go at the weekend, but I can't see me playing much beyond that as my PS4 time is so limited I haven't done any justice to Persona 5, God of War, Spidey, etc., etc.
  • UncleLou Moderator 25 Jan 2019 12:24:17 40,158 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    VR mode is surprisingly fine for me. I do feel a *little* bit funny, more than after playing something entirely harmless like Tetris, but itís nothing you wouldnít expect if you make your brain think youíre 5000 feet above the ground, upside down.

The only unplayable VR game for me is still Dirt. :-/

Edited by UncleLou at 12:24:44 25-01-2019
  • AboutHalfaStevas 25 Jan 2019 12:51:05 1,709 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I remember dirt also made me feel a bit off, but I changed some option (which I'm struggling to remember) and it made all the difference; it was something to do with head movement.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 25 Jan 2019 12:59:49 19,815 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's the vehicle camera motion option. It's switched on by default as it's supposed to help with sickness but it has the opposite effect for me.

Edited by Decks at 13:00:27 25-01-2019
  • Drakesmoke 25 Jan 2019 23:01:22 556 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    'Completed it'.

The final mission was a bit of an anticlimax, and a frustrating one at that. Must have taken about half a dozen attempts to pull off the required manoeuvre (trying not to spoil things) before the checkpoint being in the wrong place made it even worse.

The mission before that though, genuine wow. And such a feeling of satisfaction.

Now the battle to unlock all the planes begins.
  • oldschoolsoviet 26 Jan 2019 02:59:45 6,688 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Think I hit somewhere into 40+ attempts on that final mission segment.

Got all excited about my new 47 Berkut I'd unlocked, only realising it was entirely unsuitable being the fatboy it is, and yet I was still too stubborn to quit and retry with something a bit more slimline.
  • dominalien 28 Jan 2019 10:00:47 9,140 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My Hori hot ass just arrived. It's made for giants, I can barely reach a couple of the buttons. I know I have smallish hands, but still.

The box gives a web address to go to download the manual, but it's misspelled and doesn't work. Not very helpful.

At first glance, it seems the touchpad is stupidly positioned, though it remains to be seen how significant that is in actual use.
  • dominalien 28 Jan 2019 10:05:47 9,140 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Huh, there's a riser for the handrest on the joystick. They knew they were making this for giants and all they could do was put in a silly handrest?

Or maybe I should get some fighter pilot gloves.

Edited by dominalien at 10:06:32 28-01-2019
  • AboutHalfaStevas 28 Jan 2019 10:13:52 1,709 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Is it quite slack? I read it was quite slack.

A slack, hot ass.
  • UncleLou Moderator 28 Jan 2019 10:16:59 40,158 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Finished this at the week-end. It looks great, it plays great, but I think the mission design is mostly awful.

The real enemy is a timer, most of the time, or the mission is about a gimmmick. The game is at its very best when - rarely - they trust the strength of the basics.

I don't necessarily need a dynamic *campaign*, but a bit of ebb and flow on the battlefiel, based on what actually is happening, rather than a rigid script and a "game over" screen as soon as something goes wrong would have helped to bring this into the 21st century.

And that (lack of a) checkpoint in the very last mission - you know where - means at least one point needs to be deducted from the overall score.
  • dominalien 28 Jan 2019 10:23:52 9,140 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    AboutHalfaStevas wrote:
    Is it quite slack? I read it was quite slack.

A slack, hot ass.
    Yeah, just read this: https://www.reddit.com/r/acecombat/comments/ahr61r/review_hotas_hori_ace_combat_7_flighstick_do_not/

:-(
  • AboutHalfaStevas 28 Jan 2019 10:26:59 1,709 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah... That was the exact thread I read before forgetting about that stick and just getting the much cheaper thrust master 4.
    I thought I'd posted it here, but apparently not; my apologies.
  • dominalien 28 Jan 2019 10:28:31 9,140 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Perhaps you have, I haven't really done any research. The Thrustmaster is unavailable here, so I really didn't have much of a choice anyway. A couple more hours before I can try it out, but I'm kicking myself in the meantime.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 28 Jan 2019 10:31:07 19,815 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Wait, does that Thrustmaster for 80 quid have no feedback or rumble whatsoever?
  • dominalien 28 Jan 2019 10:38:14 9,140 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It thrusts, but doesn't vibrate.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 28 Jan 2019 10:42:50 1,709 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Nope. I believe your only two options on PS4 are the thrust master with no rumble or force feedback, or the hori with some (which when I looked was 200 quid). There's an AC branded thrustmaster 4 coming, but that's all it is.

That's without fucking around with adapters which emulate a ds4 allowing you to (maybe) get a PC one working, that is.

Edit: also, it's just rumble, not force feedback. Maybe dominalien can confirm. The info out there on these things is ridiculous. Any "review" I found of the hori said it was awesome. Maybe the guy in that thread just got a bum (lol) unit, but for 200 quid with an internet seller I wasn't prepared to risk it.

Edited by AboutHalfaStevas at 10:52:20 28-01-2019
  • brokenkey 28 Jan 2019 11:33:43 10,235 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:

And that (lack of a) checkpoint in the very last mission - you know where - means at least one point needs to be deducted from the overall score.
    ? Kill the 3 things, checkpoint. Do tunnel, checkpoint. End phase. What's missing?

Changing the control scheme half way through (from expert to standard) is a must for this mission, imho.

Edited by brokenkey at 11:40:21 28-01-2019
  • dominalien 28 Jan 2019 11:42:32 9,140 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I will write a few words once I'm back home and try it out. For now I can say the stick is terribly loose, I can actually rotate it along its axis a couple of degrees and when moving there's a few degrees of movement where it's obvious no signals are getting triggered yet.

There's also a rubber cover between the stick and the base that's not attached to the stick at all and when tilting the stick in a direction there's a sizeable gap showing the plastic mechanism innards. It's probably irrelevant, but doesn't make a very good impression.
  • UncleLou Moderator 28 Jan 2019 11:45:03 40,158 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @brokenkey A checkpoint after you kill the drone and the repeaters in the base of the elevator, before the vertical escape.

Two clearly separate difficult tasks, one after another, without a checkpoint. I probably didnít have the ideal plane, but I certainly didnít want to fly through the tunnel again
  • UncleLou Moderator 28 Jan 2019 11:46:46 40,158 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    @brokenkey A checkpoint after you kill the drone and the repeaters in the base of the elevator, before the vertical escape.

Two clearly separate difficult tasks, one after another, without a checkpoint. I probably didnít have the ideal plane, but I certainly didnít want to fly through the tunnel again
    Edit:
    Changing the control scheme to standard probably would have helped, yes. Which kind of illustrates my point about the mission design.
  • brokenkey 28 Jan 2019 11:48:59 10,235 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    ok - for my plane setup that first bit you've described takes less than 20 seconds, couldn't be easier.

F22, QAAM missiles for the drone, lots of special missile upgrades for parts.

accelerate down the last bit of the tunnel, break just as you exit, wait for drone pass to right of tower, FOX2, its dead.

Also, another tip for flying upwards - half-trigger thrust

Edited by brokenkey at 11:55:40 28-01-2019
  • AboutHalfaStevas 28 Jan 2019 12:17:02 1,709 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    For now I can say the stick is terribly loose, I can actually rotate it along its axis a couple of degrees
    Isn't this for yaw control? i.e. you rotate the stick itself for that (left and right is for banking).
  • McGeeza 28 Jan 2019 14:31:18 1,963 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @AboutHalfaStevas The Hori doesn't have that apparently. It has the rudder doo dah thing on the back of the throttle (similar to the thrustmaster) but the Hori one seems to be digital not analogue (according to that Reddit post).

£200? That would be going straight back.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 28 Jan 2019 14:41:45 1,709 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Say what? That's one of the things I love about this thrustmaster, tbh, being able to rotate for yaw.

I'm not sure if the rudder thing is analogue - I know the twist for yaw is though (realised that in Elite).

Yeah, and that was my problem with it; it felt like I was almost certain to want to send it back, and fuck sending stuff back online.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.