Ace GOTDAM MONKEYFUNSTIN Combat 7 (actual swearing inside) Page 10

• McGeeza 28 Jan 2019 14:50:13 1,978 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah twisting is very intuitive. Even more so than rudder pedals IMO. I'm really happy with the Thrustmaster. Obviously Force Feedback would take it to the next level, but i'm not sure i'd want to pay £200 for that even if i had the option.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 28 Jan 2019 16:10:57 1,846 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've always hated it when games think it's fine to ask you to be able to press L1+L2/R1+R2 at the same time, and flight simmy type games seem to be quite okay with that; having the twist = something makes such a difference. It's a pity they couldn't have got wipeout compatible: the devs apparently didn't want to because of the airbrakes, but I reckon the rudder thing on the throttle would have done the job just fine.

As for rumble, an idea I had was to make the base a bit beefier so it could somehow house a dualshock and just use the rumble from that.

Or just stick a connected ds4 in your lap.
  • dominalien 28 Jan 2019 17:25:19 9,233 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've had a bit with the Hori hot ass. Not so hot, definitely more ass.

I don't have any comparison, I haven't used a flightstick in years (I will try to dig out my old Thrustmaster I have in the attic somewhere tomorrow to compare), but I think this one is terrible.

First, there is a large dead zone before the centering springs kick in, where the stick can be moved without any resistance. It's pretty large, the top of the stick moves some 2 cm left-right and some 2.5 cm front-back. It doesn't register any movement in that zone.

That's not cool, but the real kicker is it requires more movement in some directions to start registering that it's been moved than in others. I connected it to my computer and ran a joystick calibration program and it's very visible there. The difference is huge.

When moving left/right, it starts registering movement much sooner to the left than to the right. When I move past the point of resistance to the left, a further 5-7 mm and it starts registering movement (still talking about the distance the top of the stick travels). To the right, however, movement starts registering only after 2 cm of movement. The same goes for up/down - it takes a movement of 2 cm to start registering when moving up and less than a cm when moving down. This also means the stick can reach maximum axis movement in three corners, but can't in the upper-right.

So yeah, awful. And I was wondering why I was oversteering all the time when trying to shoot down some bombers with the machine gun.

For positive points, some dude in the reddit thread I linked to before was saying the throttle axis wasn't being detected and it totally detected fine in my case. The throttle in general is more than fine, much better than the joystick, with smooth, pleasantly resistant movement. The two buttons for rudder are fine, too. They're digital, much like L1/R1 on the Dualshock are. Also, someone said the Thrustmaster (I think) didn't work with the bundled AC5, this one does. I'll need to connect to PS3 and see if Assault Horizon works. I think it should, considering it basically acts as a Dualshock controller.

Oh, and the touchpad is positioned very poorly, I can't reach it with my right hand, so I have to take my left hand off the throttle to touch it in order to change radar zoom, which I do all the time and it's hugely time consuming. It should be in the right top corner of the joystick base, so I could touch it with my pinky finger.

And the stick is too tall for my hand, without the included palm rest I can't reach the analogue stick at the top and with the palm rest it's too short and my hand feels cramped. Either way, it's less than comfortable.

I'll play with this a bit more, especially as this country doesn't allow you to return stuff because you don't like it, but I think it'll be hard to get used to how it operates. So much money, so poorly spent. /o\

Edited by dominalien at 17:28:37 28-01-2019
  • McGeeza 28 Jan 2019 17:45:58 1,978 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ah mate. That's a shitter.

To be fair it isn't working as intended. That deadzone is a joke. Surely you must be able to get a refund on something that is fundamentally broken?

To make you feel worse, the Thrustmaster radar button is on the back of the throttle below the index/middle finger so easy to reach.

That's also a shitter about Wipeout but I can see their point - there isn't an easy solution to applying both airbrakes at the same time but obviously the twist would do the job individually.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 28 Jan 2019 18:11:08 1,846 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Is the rudder analogue? In which case, left rudder for left brake, right for right, same button AC7 uses for high G turns? Brakes all on the throttle, don't use the twist at all.
    Edit: actually, fuck analogue braking, don't think I even use it, I'd be okay with it working digitally like this.

As for the stick, it seems a QC problem to me. Slightly different issues to the Reddit dude here.

Oh, yeah, AC5 doesn't work with the 4 either. If it works with your hori, I guess that's something positive to add to your list to make you feel a bit better...

Edited by AboutHalfaStevas at 18:12:38 28-01-2019
  • shamblemonkee 28 Jan 2019 19:33:53 17,962 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeepers: https://www.reddit.com/r/acecombat/comments/akkyrl/cape_rainy_assault_canyon_run_completed_in_1/
  • dominalien 28 Jan 2019 20:32:38 9,233 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Annoyingly, the Hori ass works very well with Assault Horizon on PS3 with a tiny bit of option tweaking. There's the dogfight mode there which means it doesn't need precise lining up of machine gun fire. It's actually great fun now.
  • UncleLou Moderator 28 Jan 2019 23:47:29 40,158 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @shamblemonkee And I thought that difficult and dragged on for too long. :D

Ridiculous.
  • brokenkey 29 Jan 2019 11:02:58 10,255 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    dominalien wrote:

I'll play with this a bit more, especially as this country doesn't allow you to return stuff because you don't like it, but I think it'll be hard to get used to how it operates. So much money, so poorly spent. /o\
    Are you going to send it back under Distance Selling regulation?
  • dominalien 29 Jan 2019 15:09:12 9,233 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @brokenkey

Iím not sure I can send opened stuff back. Especially as I opened-opened it: itís currently lying in pieces on my desk, trying to figure out how to eliminate the slack in the center position.
  • Fake_Blood 29 Jan 2019 16:02:22 9,653 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So this is out on friday on pc then yeah?
  • TheRealBadabing 1 Feb 2019 01:08:38 1,883 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    If anyone is thinking of getting this on PC, DON'T.

Laziest port I have ever seen. Gamepad button prompts everywhere, terrible menu navigation and only supports the (Xbox licenced) T Flight HOTAS One.

I fancied using K&M controls (weirdo, I know) but yaw/roll cannot be separately assigned so you end up with either thicky controls or unplayable shite.

Oh, and I think we already knew about no ultra-wide support and Denuvo.
  • brokenkey 1 Feb 2019 09:26:21 10,255 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    TheRealBadabing wrote:

I fancied using K&M controls (weirdo, I know) but yaw/roll cannot be separately assigned so you end up with either thicky controls or unplayable shite.
    So there's no "expert" setting in the pause menu for K&M??
  • brokenkey 1 Feb 2019 14:30:01 10,255 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Liveleak link, so caution if at work (video is work safe, site may not be)

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=acShY_1548932459
  • TheRealBadabing 1 Feb 2019 16:52:56 1,883 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @brokenkey there is the standard normal/expert option. What that means is the mouse either controls roll or acts like a analogue stick.

No separation of controls is possible so if you use normal mode you cannot assign a key to roll ie. the keyboard just mirrors the mouse.
  • OnlyJoeKing 1 Feb 2019 20:09:08 962 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pre ordered this on PC because I have a HOTAS X flight stick (PS3/PC). Waited two weeks for release, and now it turns out the game doesn't register the fucking thing.

Pretty disappointing. The plane just sitting there, motionless on the runway. Very sad. Ffs!

Hope they patch in support. Ballsacks.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 1 Feb 2019 20:35:38 6,352 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Playing the PC version on an XB1 controller. It's an ultra-barebones port, but has felt fine so far given I'm happy to play on controller. It's functional, but no more than that.
  • TheRealBadabing 1 Feb 2019 22:20:06 1,883 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Not really the point though. Given console architecture these days a PC port is a piece of piss. While the XB1 controller is great a few more options are expected in anything released on PC. Not going full-on Master Race but simple stuff like proper key-binding is not unreasonable.

Even mouse functionality in the menus would have been a nice gesture at least.
  • OnlyJoeKing 1 Feb 2019 23:47:36 962 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I would have happily played it with a controller... were it not something I waited two weeks for to get the PC version, to use my flight stick.

I mean, what PC flying game doesn't support flight sticks? And this is a bleedin' fifty pound, full price jobbie. Pretty disappointing.
  • KnuttinAtoll 2 Feb 2019 10:07:10 7,392 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thanks for the warnings on the PC version, will steer clear until this is 80% off (pretty sure it'll happen eventually, not paying full price based on what I hear).

Checked my TrackIR software last night too and no profile visible for the game so presumably that support is missing too. Damn shame really such a missed opportunity.
  • OnlyJoeKing 3 Feb 2019 13:40:28 962 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    We are thrilled to announce, through our partnership with BANDAI NAMCO JAPAN, that our T.Flight Hotas 4 and T.Flight Hotas One series are now compatible with the PC version of Ace Combat 7: Skies Unkown, via integrated presets. However, please note that these are the only ones in our range of joysticks.
    This implies it's some kind of hardware exclusivity deal - what an absolute fucking joke. Absurd.

http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/news/ace-combat-7-skies-unknown-now-available-pc
  • TheRealBadabing 3 Feb 2019 17:57:51 1,883 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    What makes it even more absurd is that Thrustmaster do the very good T16000M but that is not supported.
  • OnlyJoeKing 3 Feb 2019 18:02:15 962 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There hasn't been much news about this either, really. Lots of gushing praise.... and one utterly pathetic Polygon article, saying that flight stick criticism is 'missing the point' or some shite.
  • Duffking 3 Feb 2019 21:34:47 16,295 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm up to mission 15 in this. Enjoying it a lot, but I do kind of miss the feeling of scale that 6 had. That felt like being in an all out war, while this one kind of feels like smaller skirmishes for the most part.
  • Drakesmoke 4 Feb 2019 10:46:52 572 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    What's frustrating me is the cost of the aircraft versus the rewards from redoing the missions.

Feels like it's deliberately set up as a grind to railroad you into the higher-paying MP - which isn't a lot of fun, and on Xbox populated almost entirely in the hated Battle Royale mode (which should actually be called Free For All, as it is not a BR).
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 4 Feb 2019 10:50:39 6,352 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Only got 4 missions into this so far - a good portion of the 2019 games I'm interested in have come out over the last few days. Generally enjoying it, but agree that based on what I've seen so far, the cost of aircraft seems to be set very high.
  • oldschoolsoviet 4 Feb 2019 14:07:48 6,729 posts
    Seen 18 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The grind meant that it went on the pile straight after completing it, haven't had time to get back into it myself either. That and the annoying 'unknown' identifying mechanic....
    Still don't get all this fuss over flightsticks though, it's always felt more of an arcade shooter, a spiritual successor to Afterburner, but boys will want their gadgets I suppose. :)

These guys are having fun though: https://youtu.be/5kt-dA8xICo
  • Bambot 4 Feb 2019 14:10:01 1,386 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    AboutHalfaStevas wrote:
    5 minutes of my life I won't get back
    WTAF is your point, mate? Can you make it in a couple of sentences for me? Ideally without random raging SHOUTING about BREXIT?
  • AboutHalfaStevas 4 Feb 2019 14:14:29 1,846 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    No.
  • Drakesmoke 4 Feb 2019 18:58:12 572 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Whilst I love this game, this has a lot of truth and is also funny af:

https://youtu.be/JgxCaHFKHCw

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.