Moving to Canada Page 3

Next Last
  • fontgeeksogood 24 Jan 2019 22:47:24 6,239 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    Are Canada's streets awash with stoned louts and hippies now PES?
    True story, when I went to a skiing resort in Alberta once there was a moose sleeping on the sidewalk in town. I guess it got tired after all the sex education lessons
  • Tomo 25 Jan 2019 01:49:04 16,623 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I fucking loved Tronno and Algonquin when I was over there for a fortnight. Was about April so I didn't experience insane cold mind. But it's a beautiful and relaxed place (compared to London at least). Off to Montreal for work in a couple of months hopefully. Can't wait.
  • JYM60 25 Jan 2019 10:09:02 17,718 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Me and my girlfriend are planning to go to Toronto this year with a 2 years working Visa. We didn't go through some skilled worker thing though. The working Visa we applied for you had to be under 35 I think.

Getting the Visa was quick and easy, but being from NI I have dual nationality and applied using Irish Passport which made it far easier. For some reason Ireland gets more places and competition for places isn't big. I applied to be invited at the end of December, then once invited applied for the Visa, and this week I've already been approved and can go over whenever I want.

Have done research on rent cost, which are pretty high, and potential jobs. The amount of jobs available seems a lot better than here anyway. Closer to the time will probably look into applying for jobs online, etc.
  • KnuttinAtoll 25 Jan 2019 10:35:50 7,232 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @JYM60 wow that's pretty quick. My wife has an IE passport so that could maybe come in handy. Not sure how that would affect myself though but we'll see. We're really not in a rush at all, the plan is to move within the next 12-24 months really, not earlier so am now thinking if starting the application process now will catch us out (am aware though that we're talking different visas so might take longer after all).
  • JYM60 25 Jan 2019 10:53:37 17,718 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah I am not sure about the likes of Skilled Worker Visas. I am not sure there is a limited number of spots or anything on those.

For the one we applied for it cost around 200, which included going to the embassy in Dublin to get fingerprints and stuff. We have a year to activate it now. We currently both have very boring Civil Service jobs and are hoping to go in about 3 or 4 months.

My biggest fear is not having enough money, and ending up homeless. Apparently the recommended minimum to bring is $3500 which seems not that much. Should have around three times that by the time we go though so hopefully be ok.
  • KnuttinAtoll 25 Jan 2019 10:59:58 7,232 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah although we have savings that could keep us going for a few months, I'd rather not blow those on just living there without a job - if at least one of us can land a job before we move that would be more sensible.

Come to think of it, I never moved country without either having a job lined up or keeping my existing one, although I met a few people in the past who just took a gamble. Easier to do if you're just a couple hours flight away rather than half around the globe, and really depends on how hot the job market is. I guess as long as you have enough cash for the return tickets, that's the worst case scenario really to have covered (and health insurance).

Good luck with your move, should be exciting!
  • JYM60 25 Jan 2019 11:13:52 17,718 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thanks.

I have never lived outside of Belfast! So will be a big change. I did travel round the west coast of USA for a month, but not counting that.

Jobs seem plentiful in Toronto. The rent is what is worrying. Looks mostly around $1K-$2K and upwards mostly. We are looking at air BnB, house sharing, etc at the minute for when we first go over.
  • fontgeeksogood 25 Jan 2019 19:06:39 6,239 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Assuming you're a nerd, there's a lot of IT companies in Waterloo and Kitchener which are about 1.5 hours drive from Tronno and have much more reasonable rents I assume
  • thelzdking 25 Jan 2019 19:34:40 9,409 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Can't you just be a lumberjack?
  • fontgeeksogood 25 Jan 2019 19:41:13 6,239 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    That's like immigrating into the UK to be a jam maker
  • Technoishmatt 25 Jan 2019 19:42:16 3,437 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ice trucker?
  • Deleted user 25 January 2019 19:43:44
    Moose fucker?
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.